• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

August Wrasslin |OT| The Sunday of Summer

Jopie

I want so badly for Sasha to win the Diva belt then drop in a trash can. Then set the trash can on fire. Then pull out a womens champion belt.

Could get a huge pop without saying a single word. From the ashes of the divas division, the womens division is reborn.

Ithil

Saying NXT only appeals to a niche fanbase is a lame excuse. Yeah, you can say stuff like relying on the audience knowing a new wrestler's pre-WWE career, or relying heavily on crowd interaction, that sort of stuff can't be counted on in varying main roster shows.

But stuff like planning out stories, giving focus to the whole card (especially the women) and not just the main event, and not scripting promos word for word, etc. You can't say that can't be translated directly to the main roster. Those are just basic, non specific approaches.

NXT catering to a small audience has little to do with their ability to tell logical and satisfying stories. That sounds like an excuse Vince would make.

...It has everything to do with that. The main brand has to focus on mainstream characters.

They're not going to donate time on RAW or Smackdown to the amount of character development Bayley got. Or what Emma got on NXT, for example.

It's pretty obvious that there are too many hands in the pot on the main brand, and NXT has very few. That's a big reason as to why NXT keeps succeeding. They aren't scattershot, or reactive in their storytelling. They keep going.

But hey, it's not like the evidence is right in front of your fucking faces or anything

Ithil

...It has everything to do with that. The main brand has to focus on mainstream characters.

They're not going to donate time on RAW or Smackdown to the amount of character development Bayley got. Or what Emma got on NXT, for example.

It's pretty obvious that there are too many hands in the pot on the main brand, and NXT has very few. That's a big reason as to why NXT keeps succeeding. They aren't scattershot, or reactive in their storytelling. They keep going.

But hey, it's not like the evidence is right in front of your fucking faces or anything

No one cares about their "mainstream characters", that's the problem.

What does this look like, RAW?

That's where all things NXT go to die. Whatever you accomplish on NXT doesn't matter, because you will be a joke on the main roster until Trips gets better control over there. It's hard to enjoy NXT with that thought in the back of your head.

I also have no idea why you guys think saying NXT caters to a smaller audience is an excuse

It is literally the biggest strength they have.

That's where all things NXT go to die. Whatever you accomplish on NXT doesn't matter, because you will be a joke on the main roster until Trips gets better control over there. It's hard to enjoy NXT with that thought in the back of your head.

Everything is NXT is ass backwards in preparing for the main roster. In NXT you get unscripted promos, a defined character, coherent stories and time to grow. On the main roster you become random mid carder 233, where everything is scripted

Ithil

I also have no idea why you guys think saying NXT caters to a smaller audience is an excuse

It is literally the biggest strength they have.
I'm not saying it doesn't cater to a smaller audience, I'm saying most of the fundamental things that make it better are not niche things.
Strip it down to the basics of what's better there than on RAW, and none of them are specific to smaller audiences.

are you saying well developed characters and logical story telling wouldn't play to mainstream audience?

I'm not saying it doesn't cater to a smaller audience, I'm saying most of the fundamental things that make it better are not niche things.
Strip it down to the basics of what's better there than on RAW, and none of them are specific to smaller audiences.

I'm saying NXT has those things because they don't have the oversight the main brand does, and that's very obvious. The stakes for NXT are far less, so they can get away with much more. You think Bayley/Sasha's finish gets by any WWE agent? They did a fucking avalanche reverse hurricanrana for the finish. If it's not on NXT, there's no way that shit happens. Far too dangerous by WWE standards.

DMczaf

Really hoping for a dead crowd tonight to reenforce how much Vince has killed his "WWE Universe" in comparison to NXT fans (outside of Full Sail shit)

I'm saying NXT has those things because they don't have the oversight the main brand does, and that's very obvious. The stakes for NXT are far less, so they can get away with much more. You think Bayley/Sasha's finish gets by any WWE agent? They did a fucking avalanche reverse hurricanrana for the finish. If it's not on NXT, there's no way that shit happens. Far too dangerous by WWE standards.

I'm not confident you know what you're talkin' about, buddy.

Dawson and Wilder
Blake and Murphy
Gable and Jordan
Enzo and Cassady
Hype Bros

That's 5 teams to fill most of the bracket. I'm assuming that they'll go 8 teams total.

They can team up guys like LeFort and Louis again to fill the rest of the bracket, or it could be a way to debut someone.

hqdefault.jpg

Ithil

Well I would say the idea that you need a niche show just to have logical, character based storylines is a problem.

That reverse rana was from the middle rope, as well - I saw a bunch of wrestlers on twitter last night pointing out how dangerous that was and how difficult it is to perform from the middle-rope. Honestly couldn't believe that was OK'd.

Bayley and Sasha's finish was great, but it wasn't necessary to make the story they were telling logical and satisfying, so your argument still doesn't make sense.

klonere

Banned

As dangerous as that spot was, they have their pride and joy doing fucking Yoshi Tonic as a signature move.

But yes, women would not get that spot for sure but that's because they are still not treated the same as the men are on the main roster.

What's the second biggest heel turn of all time. Zbyszko? Santo? Austin?

Rock at Survivor Series 98?

RVD was on last years summerslam card. Holy crap what a year it has been

WWE SummerSlam
Sunday August 17th 2014
Los Angeles, California
*Rob Van Dam over Cesaro
*Dolph Ziggler over The Miz to win the Intercontinental title
*Paige over AJ Lee to win the Diva’s title
*Rusev over Jack Swagger in a flag match
*Seth Rollins over Dean Ambrose in a lumberjack match
*Bray Wyatt over Chris Jericho
*Stephanie McMahon over Brie Bella