• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

August Wrasslin |OT| The Sunday of Summer

dream

brock made taker tap

that is a pretty big thing to harp

is this the first time taker has been seen tapping ?

That ending was perfect. Sets up a natural final fight. The match was beyond excellent.

I am glad you guys see the bigger picture. Most here don't.

Brock is slowly taking Undertaker's entire mystique, and Undertaker's responding with desperation, being dirty as shit. This is fucking brilliant because this is how heroes die. And it's awesome that Undertaker, who is notorious for protecting his gimmick, is buying into this.

The issue with it, is that it's all supposed to be trained professionals. Bell keep should never have touched the bell whatsoever unless the ref calls for it. It made no sense. It has NEVER happened before, for good reason. There must've been a better way to accomplish this. Now bell keeper gets more heat than anyone.

Fox318

8wOBcCM.jpg

Man God

Non-Canon Member
The issue with it, is that it's all supposed to be trained professionals. Bell keep should never have touched the bell whatsoever unless the ref calls for it. It made no sense. It has NEVER happened before, for good reason. There must've been a better way to accomplish this. Now bell keeper gets more heat than anyone.

The better way is with an outside official after a ref bump, but people would see that coming a mile away.

dream

Brock is the good guy considering he wasn't the one cheating.

Exactly! Undertaker is unselfish enough to let his entire 30 year aura get dismantled. Now they need to have him refuse to grant Brock a rematch at WrestleMania. He needs to be just slightly chickenshit for this to work.

Friend dream, sometimes you tell it as it is, even if it's unpopular. I have criticized you in the past but tonight you speak the truth. Tonight, you are my friend.

tumblr_nf6hlirj2f1rg89a6o1_500.jpg

Here's an idea

It's crazy, I know, but hear me out

If you have a feud where you can't have either guy lose right now

Maybe don't have the feud right now

Someone pointed out an interesting plot hole:

The timekeeper has the authority to ring the bell when he sees a tap, but somehow he didn't ring the bell when he saw Jon Stewart hit John Cena with a damn steel chair? Consistency. What is it?

imBask

Banned
Someone pointed out an interesting plot hole:

The timekeeper has the authority to ring the bell when he sees a tap, but somehow he didn't ring the bell when he saw Jon Stewart hit John Cena with a damn steel chair? Consistency. What is it?

Who was ringing the bell though? was it the same person who was driving when Orton ran away? WHO IS IT

Exactly! Undertaker is unselfish enough to let his entire 30 year aura get dismantled. Now they need to have him refuse to grant Brock a rematch at WrestleMania. He needs to be just slightly chickenshit for this to work.

That could work to an extent, but your story will still be fucked when Undertaker gets cheered in his home state.

Man God

Non-Canon Member

He has been playing very slightly chickenshit, though as I noted watching a ton of early 1997 wrasslin already Taker has been dick punching people pretty consistently since then, face or heel.

Faces, besides SCSA at his prime, don't interfere in completely unrelated matches and continuously provoke gigantic brawls. Taker is clearly taking shortcuts in the match and in the showdowns. He needs this win.

dream

Here's an idea

It's crazy, I know, but hear me out

If you have a feud where you can't have either guy lose right now

Maybe don't have the feud right now

It's not that either guy couldn't lose. It's just that Undertaker had to win in a specific way, and Brock had to lose in a specific way so that their WrestleMania match is set up the right way. This match really was just a way of getting us there by putting the pieces in the right places.

That could work to an extent, but your story will still be fucked when Undertaker gets cheered in his home state.

Oh yeah, he'll get cheered like crazy. But he's enough of a pro to ignore the fans.

And we still have six months to turn Undertaker into a desperate, mortal, aging gunslinger who is desperately trying to preserve his mystique.

On the whole, the show tonight was actually pretty good. Match quality was good and everything got reasonable time. But WWE is better than most other companies at coming up with an ending that can retroactively sour people on the show as a whole.

dream

Think about the line they keep replaying. It sounded so awkward and tautological at first, but now it makes perfect sense.

"You can't kill what won't die."

Undertaker lost his immortality to Brock when Brock took his streak. Now he's desperately trying to not die, and will go to any lengths in service of that goal.

This really is some of the most cerebral storytelling that WWE has done in...ever, probably. I can see why some of the simpletons in the Summerslam thread are so angry and confused.

imBask

Banned
On the whole, the show tonight was actually pretty good. Match quality was good and everything got reasonable time. But WWE is better than most other companies at coming up with an ending that can retroactively sour people on the show as a whole.

in their defence they often do the opposite too... a terrible show with an incredible finish and everything gets redeemed

at least they used to back when RAW was still watchable... so like 6 months ago

imBask

Banned
Dream you're reading way past what they intend. They write this show for 5 year old, they have to recap what happened 30 minutes ago every 30 minutes so we don't get confused

Dream you're reading way past what they intend. They write this show for 5 year old, they have to recap what happened 30 minutes ago ever 30 minutes so we don't get confused

Yeah, of all the angles you could possibly overanalyze, why choose the one that has a senior citizen return with dick-based offense

Friend dream, do you believe that this angle has elevated the now forgotten Wyatt/taker match, as it now seems that it was taker desperately taking out what he believed to be a threat to his title as the face of fear?

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Nikki, Heel.
The New Day, Heel
Seth Rollins, despite all evidence to the contrary, Heel.
Seth Rollins, despite all evidence to the contrary, Heel.
Ryback, Face.

Too bad Miz or Show didn't win!

The air got sucked out of the room for me when the bell rang. I didn't notice the tap until the replay.

That was when WWE won me over. Great finish. Great show (besides the IC match)

dream

Dream you're reading way past what they intend. They write this show for 5 year old, they have to recap what happened 30 minutes ago ever 30 minutes so we don't get confused

I mean, yeah, maybe I'm projecting my creative genius onto this feud. But all the pieces are set. Brock can spend the next six months chasing Undertaker, who makes his last stand in Texas, where he believes that he can--for one night--be the Undertaker again. And everyone will want that. Everyone will want Undertaker to get his WrestleMania win back, then ride off into the sunset. But we've seen that, at least when it comes to Brock, Undertaker is phenomenally unselfish. And I think going out on his back, in his home state, in front of 100k fans, is the way he'll want The Undertaker character to die.

I just hope they do it right and realize that we can't ever see Undertaker again after that. No Hall of Fame, no guest appearances, no SCSA podcasts on the WWE Network. Done. Dead.

Top Bottom