• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

August Wrasslin |OT| The Sunday of Summer

Fox318

5x0gwvj.jpg

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I'm holding out hope we get Arn's alternate outfit of khakis and a colored polo shirt, and glasses.

Sephzilla

Bryan getting the title at WM30 was the result of a ton of things going right/wrong.

-Bryan being massively over
-Batista coming back and looking completely out of ring shape
-Randy Orton being a boring ass champion
-Nobody giving a shit about face Batista because he's 100 times better as a heel
-Punk quitting
-Nobody giving a fuck about Sheamus
-Cena already being in a program with someone else so he couldn't be shoved into the title picture

Bryan and HHH absolutely saved WrestleMania 30

Sephzilla

I just don't give a shit about Big Boss so that's why I'm holding off on MGSV for right now. I'm 100% sure the game is going to be good/great though because even "bad" main-line Metal Gear games are still really good. I'm more excited about Mad Max: The Game and Super Mario Maker.

Goto winning would be dope. He's my boy. I can't see him beating nak again.

Though we should get a title shot in november for beating Okada in the G1.

If Nakamura beats Goto, he won't challenge Okada because it'd be title vs title and no one wants that. If Nakamura loses to Goto, he won't challenge Okada because what'd be the point?

Nakamura loses to Goto, Styles loses to Okada. No IWGP challenge at Power Struggle, then we get Nakamura vs Styles in a 'special singles match' near the top of the WK10 card, Nakamura wins, Okada defeats Tanahashi and Nakamura comes out to challenge Okada and call in his title shot for beating him in the G1. Book it, Gedo!

Verendus

Banned
Bryan getting the title at WM30 was the result of a ton of things going right/wrong.

-Bryan being massively over
-Batista coming back and looking completely out of ring shape
-Randy Orton being a boring ass champion
-Nobody giving a shit about face Batista because he's 100 times better as a heel
-Punk quitting
-Nobody giving a fuck about Sheamus
-Cena already being in a program with someone else so he couldn't be shoved into the title picture
Honestly, the craziest thing about this situation is that WWE had a face who was incredibly over, and could easily do a good run with even if it was short, but they had no long-term plan for him. That just makes no sense.

Had they played their cards right, they could have not sabotaged Reigns, and been focused on building Ambrose now. We could've been near to having a good main event scene again. They seem so short-sighted that I wonder if they realise that they're the only game in town pretty much. You have all the opportunity in the world to take advantage of what comes your way, but you refuse to.

That just doesn't make any sense. There's been something like three main event stars for about five years, with two of them being the old guard in Cena and Orton. Why wouldn't you go all the way with Bryan if he's that over? At the least, you're just establishing another top star. They sabotaged him, and then in turn themselves, because fans have reached that point now.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
If Nakamura beats Goto, he won't challenge Okada because it'd be title vs title and no one wants that. If Nakamura loses to Goto, he won't challenge Okada because what'd be the point?

Nakamura loses to Goto, Styles loses to Okada. No IWGP challenge at Power Struggle, then we get Nakamura vs Styles in a 'special singles match' near the top of the WK10 card, Nakamura wins, Okada defeats Tanahashi and Nakamura comes out to challenge Okada and call in his title shot for beating him in the G1. Book it, Gedo!

Yeah Nakamura is going to be quiet until WK10 is over.

Sephzilla

Honestly, the craziest thing about this situation is that WWE had a face who was incredibly over, and could easily do a good run with even if it was short, but they had no long-term plan for him. That just makes no sense.

Had they played their cards right, they could have not sabotaged Reigns, and been focused on building Ambrose now. We could've been near to having a good main event scene again. They seem so short-sighted that I wonder if they realise that they're the only game in town pretty much. You have all the opportunity in the world to take advantage of what comes your way, but you refuse to.

That just doesn't make any sense. There's been something like three main event stars for about five years, with two of them being the old guard in Cena and Orton. Why wouldn't you go all the way with Bryan if he's that over? At the least, you're just establishing another top star. They sabotaged him, and then in turn themselves, because fans have reached that point now.

They should have saved Roman main eventing Mania for another year. Have Bryan win the 2015 Rumble and go on to face Lesnar at Mania. Bill it as the guy who broke The Streak versus the underdog who never lost his title. Fans would have went fucking apeshit for that match because that would have been the closest thing ever to a modern Andre vs Hogan, and if you still wanted Rollins to cash in his MITB you could still end the show with that. Alternatively you could have Brock destroy Bryan, which was the intended SummerSlam match before Bryan got hurt. Then Roman gets another year under his belt and get more comfortable near the top of the card, get over with fans, and be ready to go for the title at WM32 as well as build a general solid main event picture with Rollins, Ambrose, and potentially people like Cesaro and Owens.

WWE's complete lack of foresight on things is astonishing at times because they legitimately have a very talented roster right now, but it's being held back due to a lack of any true planning.

Mario Maker is going to be something special if just to play other people's creations.

I'm legit crazy excited for Mario Maker. I haven't been this excited for a kideo game since probably Halo 2. I'm burning a fucking day of PTO for that.

I'm gonna play MGSV, looking forward to it, but I don't think open world was the way to go. There are too many of those games as it is and they're all way too similar whether it's a first person or third person one. Loads of shit to do, very little of it feels like it matters or is even fun. MGS has a core gameplay style to it which hopefully won't get diluted too much but even Ground Zeroes felt loose and aimless to me. 'Find three guys in this huge base and 20 other objectives' isn't really what I want. I like tight environments with a lot of depth, so I just hope there's some of that nestled into the open spaces.

Also a shame to hear the story is sparse, but I guess I'll see how that works for myself. The story trailer with the Nuclear song playing was really cool and I was hoping for a concise story of Big Boss turning into a bad guy, so I hope that's how it goes and it isn't too light to the point where it loses it's impact.

Whatever happened to Bryan saying that if he doesn't wrestle...he'll find somewhere else to wrestle?

On that note I doubt he's coming back and even if he does...they are going to stiff him to the point of being a vegetable. You seen the match with Harper. They trying to put Bryne on the shelf because "fuck that runt".
I don't think that's what happened lol... unless I'm missing an obvious joke.

Sephzilla

Do you think we'll actually get an explanation from Jon Stewart regarding his heel turn or is it just going to go down as a one-off thing that isn't explained beyond "protecting Cena"?

Do you think we'll actually get an explanation from Jon Stewart regarding his heel turn or is it just going to go down as a one-off thing that isn't explained beyond "protecting Cena"?

He kind of did with that promo on heyman about records in wrestling being sacred. with the streak being broken, flair's record is the only big one left and he did want to see it broken by Cena. enemy of my enemy is my friend.

also ties in to the promo cena cut on Monday.

jmdajr

I think he'll say something. Taker losing hurt so much he couldn't stand Flair losing the streak too.

edit: hard to imagine WWE going to such depths but the seeds had been panted.

The promo with Heyman set it up. He's a wrestling fan and hated the streak being broken at WM. Wrestling fans are supposed to hate John Cena, ergo, he saved wrestling fans from having to suffer another streak being broken.

klonere

Banned

I see a few options here

- Temp heel Raw GM in lieu of the Authority, at max till next PPV.
- Follow up on the "I'm a wrestling fan" thing with Heyman last night "I'M A WRESTLING FAN AND I HATE CENA". One time promo.
- If Russo was still booking, HHH would have kidnapped Stewart's son and demanded Stewart go out and interfere to get him back.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

jmdajr

And he'll probably get a pop from the crowd too. He'll be another one of those faces Vince pretends is a heel because Cena.

I hope we get a Flair cameo.

Just a smile and a wooo.

edit: Cena and Flair are supposed to be pretty tight. No doubt that streak needs to have it's own storyline. It's money.

And he'll probably get a pop from the crowd too. He'll be another one of those faces Vince pretends is a heel because Cena.

I fail to see how someone costing the top face the title could ever be considered a face. That was a Jon Stewart heel turn. Anything less is poor story writing.

Not sure why, but my interest in wrestling really deflated since last night. It might be that the hangover from NXT TakeOver: Brooklyn is here, or I realized that I don't have any emotional investment in anything the main roster's putting forth.

I am sorry, Kofi avatar. I am failing to be positive.

But hey, only 1 of the 5 people pictured on the WWE 2K16 covers posted above is dead. So, that's something, right?

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"

I don't understand why there needs to be an explanation. He gave it before he even intervened - he told Paul Heyman, "I'm a wrestling fan." Of course he hates John Cena.

There was so much power play going on last night,

HHH told Vince, No way for Cena, if he wants NIkki to remain champ fine, but hes not getting everything we still have to have some control over his ego.

If Cena ever beats Flair's record, it will be the biggest sham in the history of wrestling.

I hope HHH can convince Vince that they really need to get a handle on Cena's outrageous ego, the over relianc eon a piss poor wrestler who's the cover athlete for Kindergarten Illustrated, and the fact that these new stars need the shine more than he does.

The day this guy walks away, I will light 1,000 candles, and release 100 balloons. Ive never seen a soul sucking votex of a wrestler before. At least I was entertained with Hogan.

HHH told Vince, No way for Cena, if he wants NIkki to remain champ fine, but hes not getting everything we still have to have some control over his ego.

If Cena ever beats Flair's record, it will be the biggest sham in the history of wrestling.

I hope HHH can convince Vince that they really need to get a handle on Cena's outrageous ego, and the fact that these new stars need the shine more than he does.

Was this in the Observer?

Entropia

No One Remembers

I hope HHH can convince Vince that they really need to get a handle on Cena's outrageous ego, the over relianc eon a piss poor wrestler who's the cover athlete for Kindergarten Illustrated, and the fact that these new stars need the shine more than he does.

Yes.

Colonel Mustafa!!!! Hope we get General adnan

Funley's mullet is in.. but I assume the shit hair graphics are also in.

How is Yuke's still in control of this game? I had buyer's remorse after purchasing 2K14 in a sale for £9 and I won't touch their shit ever again. I remember they had classic Macho and Michaels pre-match Mania promos rendered in-engine and the graphics were embarrassing.

https://youtu.be/cGmjtaYGXT0?t=1m46s

jmdajr

My Motley Crue tickets shipped. Probably not much fans of that type of music here but I'm pretty hype. Vince Neil can't sing for crap but the stage show is gonna be awesome. Relive middle years one more time!

And they had a great body guard too!

may he rest in piece.

TEST

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"

The day this guy walks away, I will light 1,000 candles, and release 100 balloons. Ive never seen a soul sucking votex of a wrestler before. At least I was entertained with Hogan.

lolwut

I got no idea where you got all this, man. Cena didn't win because they probably want to build up the importance of getting the record more than like 1 week of him popping off about it. And then they keep him looking strong by not letting Seth get over on Cena clean. I don't think its some kind of double secret politics with Vince.

My Motley Crue tickets shipped. Probably not much fans of that type of music here but I'm pretty hype. Vince Neil can't sing for crap but the stage show is gonna be awesome. Relive middle years one more time!

And they had a great body guard too!

may he rest in piece.

TEST

Been to plenty of 80s metal shows and the way they get around the aging singer sucking is turning them down and the crowd just sings louder than the singer. Its fine haha.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Man I keep going back on forth on whether or not I want to play MGSV. The whole micromanaging recruits and motherbase is just killing it for me. On the flip side maybe this will be the first time something like this will actually be fun for me.

MGSV sounds like a mistake, nothing but trash.

Seriously, I've never had my hype killed by a bunch of 10 out of 10 review scores before but the writing has been on the wall for sometime in regards to the micromanagement and lack of story.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
lolwut

I got no idea where you got all this, man. Cena didn't win because they probably want to build up the importance of getting the record more than like 1 week of him popping off about it. And then they keep him looking strong by not letting Seth get over on Cena clean. I don't think its some kind of double secret politics with Vince.

Yeah, they made a lot of those "15 times" shirt, so they need to sell through for a couple more months. Expect the win at Survivor Series.

It could be that they're saving Cena's 16th title win for Survivor Series, to rebuild the prestige of it like they've done for Summerslam. Likely in a cage or similar gimmick match. It's going to be a huge moment and should be on a show where it isn't overshadowed by Brock/Taker. I could even see Flair himself being the special ref, giving it some added drama of the "will he/won't he" stuff, ultimately ending with him celebrating with Cena.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
It could be that they're saving Cena's 16th title win for Survivor Series, to rebuild the prestige of it like they've done for Summerslam. Likely in a cage or similar gimmick match. It's going to be a huge moment and should be on a show where it isn't overshadowed by Brock/Taker.

Probably. I also expect Flair to be involved in the build in some capacity.

Entropia

No One Remembers
On a similar topic, they said Nikki has 22 more days and then she's beat AJ record.

Night of Champions is the Sunday after she passes the record. So, 100% chance she's going to drop it to Paige or Charlotte then, right?

Something, something, work yourself into a shoot etc

JavyOO7

Don't be surprised if Cena gets 20x reigns...

In the end, honestly, it doesn't really matter.

Sephzilla

On a similar topic, they said Nikki has 22 more days and then she's beat AJ record.

Night of Champions is the Sunday after she passes the record. So, 100% chance she's going to drop it to Paige or Charlotte then, right?

I wouldn't be surprised if Nikki hangs on to the belt until Mania, to be quite honest.

Top Bottom