• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

August Wrasslin |OT| The Sunday of Summer

Shiv47

I can't understand (well, I can, but anyway) why anyone is getting upset over a "record" in what is a predetermined theatrical/athletic performance. Flair having 16 "reigns" as champ means that he was judged the top drawing guy by some old dudes on the NWA booking committee or by Vince or whatever. John Cena getting a bazillion reigns as WWE champ just means Vince thinks him being champ will sell some more shirts. It's meaningless and is nothing to get bent outta shape over. Don't be the "it's still real to me" guy.

dream

Im sorry if I come off upset. Last night was very hard for me.

I already know that Cena may end up with 20, The only solice I will take is that the majority of those reigns happened in what will be known as the dark days of wrestling and one of the worst periods of wrestling 2003-2011. It cant hold a candle to Flair 82-92!!!!!!!

What about Flair 97-present, which features him running around on an airplane wearing nothing but his robe, spinning his dick at flight attendants before sexually assaulting them by "separately grab[bing] each woman's hand and plac[ing] it on his crotch?"

Or stealing $40,000 from Ring of Honor?

Or getting sued by a man who claimed Flair owed him $22,500, resulting in Flair inexplicably admitting to owing him over $35,000?

Or getting beat up by his second wife "on more than one occasion?"

Or getting beat up by his third wife, who hit "him in the face with a phone charger?"

Or getting beat up by his fourth wife, calling the police, and blading before they arrived?

Or, as Beth Flair claimed in her divorce filings, taking an underaged Reid to strip clubs and plying him with drugs and alcohol, which potentially led to Reid's fatal drug habit?

Or being a 16x world champion and not having a single goddamn thing to show for it, being so in debt that he had to go to TNA and take his first ever thumb tack bumps at the age of 60?

Mahonay

Banned
That is a lot, though. You actually are able to tell a story in the context of a wrestling match from a 2 minute roll-up win from back in the day to now, around ten. It's something.
It absolutely gives those matches at least the possibility to form a story. Except the story they've chosen to go with is the same slap dash shit from before. I don't know who's booking the matches but the pacing last night was fucking horrendous.

Why are any of these Divas fighting exactly? Are the Bellas face or heel? Why did Alicia Fox join the Bellas? Why is Naomi the leader of Team B.A.D? Why does team PCB not acknowledge Sasha Banks as one of their own? Why is Stephanie involved?

Does Rock's yearly deal include a job for Tamina? What a waste of a spot.
I was watching with my friend who is a casual WWE fan and I mention the same thing. How in the fuck is she still on the roster.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I can't understand (well, I can, but anyway) why anyone is getting upset over a "record" in what is a predetermined theatrical/athletic performance. Flair having 16 "reigns" as champ means that he was judged the top drawing guy by some old dudes on the NWA booking committee or by Vince or whatever. John Cena getting a bazillion reigns as WWE champ just means Vince thinks him being champ will sell some more shirts. It's meaningless and is nothing to get bent outta shape over. Don't be the "it's still real to me" guy.

It's Liquidsnake. He has a very strong attachment to Flair.

RP912

Banned
Not a crazy position to take. Harley Race was a fucking righteous cunt for a long time, a true fucking bad motherfucker. Flair embodied glitz and glamor and money, Race embodied a mean goddamned streak.

Can we talk about how flashy he was during the bad assism...

Harley-Race-NWA-Champ.jpg

Dude would fuck you up and get mad because blood got on his tie.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
It absolutely gives those matches at least the possibility to form a story. Except the story they've chosen to go with is the same slap dash shit from before. I don't know who's booking the matches but the pacing last night was fucking horrendous.

Why are any of these Divas fighting exactly? Are the Bellas face or heel? Why did Alicia Fox join the Bellas? Why is Naomi the leader of Team B.A.D? Why does team PCB not acknowledge Sasha Banks as one of their own? Why is Stephanie involved?

Fortunately tonight they can break away from introductions and go a few directions in storyline, so we'll see tonight. I hope for the best.

jmdajr

This forum gets upset with comic book movies. Like legitimately angry.

As far as story goes, this 16 time issue is a legitimate story and deserves some time I say. It's a big part of this fiction.

Will I get mad when Cena breaks it? Lol. Of course not. I just want this ride to be good. And I want Ric Flair ring side to see it.

RP912

Banned
What about Flair 97-present, which features him running around on an airplane wearing nothing but his robe, spinning his dick at flight attendants before sexually assaulting them by "separately grab[bing] each woman's hand and plac[ing] it on his crotch?"

Or getting sued by a man who claimed Flair owed him $22,500, resulting in Flair inexplicably admitting to owing him over $35,000?

Or getting beat up by his third wife, who hit "him in the face with a phone charger?"

Or getting beat up by his fourth wife, calling the police, and blading before they arrived?

Or, as Beth Flair claimed in her divorce filings, taking an underaged Reid to strip clubs and plying him with drugs and alcohol, which potentially led to Reid's fatal drug habit?

Or being a 16x world champion and not having a single goddamn thing to show for it, being so in debt that he had to go to TNA and take his first ever thumb tack bumps at the age of 60?

Dude you are like the WCW hotline...how and when did this happen 0_o

She has been pretty good in the ring. A revelation actually.

Sorry everyone, I didn't sleep well last night. Some things bother me. I want to right worngs. Its just an instinct i have. I don't like injustice.

I understand.

The NXT Women's Wrestling Formula:
characters + long matches = good matches

The WWE Divas Revolution (brought to you by Stephanie McMahon) Formula:
long matches + ??? = trending worldwide

That's what I've been trying to tell people, but it seems fans really aren't ready for the revolution they claim to want, because Bellas are whores and Stephanie is evil, or something.

MC Safety

Or it could be due to her own merit at being pretty kickass, doing all the work WWE expects of her and more.

I guess we could cheapen her accomplishments if you'd like, but I'm gonna go with "hey she's pretty good at it"

There's this weird thing where people say Nikki Bella has improved as a wrestler. I don't really see it, but maybe that's because I'm less well acquainted with the subject matter.

I'm not advocating they rush the title off Bella. She makes a good villain.

That's not fair. I can't judge him, I dont know what its like to walk a mile in his shoes, and what is true and what is not. I do not believe 50% of these things are true.

Much like Liger wrestling without a mask for years, that shit don't count.

jmdajr

I know, and I loved watching Flair in the 80s. But it is what it is.

Now that Undertakers streak is dead, this should be the new storyline. Tying the win is part 1, and actually break it part 2.

Now how will all this play out who knows. But I'd like to see Flair involved if possible. No doubt HHH. Hell, maybe we can even get Charlotte involved.

It might all suck, or be great. I just think it's worth hyping it up.

Mahonay

Banned
Fortunately tonight they can break away from introductions and go a few directions in storyline, so we'll see tonight. I hope for the best.
I seriously doubt it. Last night was a last straw for me. They've really fucked up the whole Diva's Revolution thing, and they're doing it in just the ways we know the WWE likes to fuck up good things. It's nothing new.

I'm hoping to be pleasantly surprised though. Maybe a pissed Haitch can convince Vince/Steph to let him save this thing.

Bronx-Man

Banned
I understand.

That's what I've been trying to tell people, but it seems fans really aren't ready for the revolution they claim to want, because Bellas are whores and Stephanie is evil, or something.

It must pretty humbling for Sasha to go from wrestling a MOTY contender to whatever that was last night.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
¡HarlequinPanic!;176391186 said:
and yet cena is not excused from your withering gaze?~

Cena's done nothing but good things. Convenient to ignore.

dream

Here's a nice article that outlines every single one of Flair's documented financial failings: http://grantland.com/features/the-wrestler-real-life/

Today the story is about a man known in the court system as Richard Morgan Fliehr, 62, born in 1949 and adopted by parents who raised him in Minnesota. That’s what he was called this past April, when a judge ejected Fliehr from his Charlotte home because he couldn’t pay his rent. That’s what he was called in May, when he faced an arrest order for an unpaid $35,000 loan. That’s what he’s called on the paychecks from Total Nonstop Action, a second-tier outfit where he’s still compelled to perform despite suffering from alcoholic cardiomyopathy, and where almost everything he earns goes toward old debts: lawyers, ex-wives, the IRS, former business partners, and anyone who made the mistake of lending him money.

The Mecklenburg County courthouse in Charlotte contains thousands of pages documenting Fliehr’s legal adventures. There, it’s possible to unearth the gory specifics of a lifetime: how he passed out after attacking his son Reid in a fit of anger after the boy broke his drunken mother’s arm by pushing her out of an elevator; how he lost a fistfight with his daughter’s boyfriend; how he exposed his genitalia to airline attendants.1 One can also read how Fliehr allegedly flew into steroid-induced rages against his wife and children; how he suffered anxiety attacks and at least one nervous breakdown, how he broke his back in a 1975 plane crash; how he was mistreated by powerful bosses such as Eric Bischoff; how he bought millions of dollars’ worth of jewelry for the women in his life; how he was cited for letting a drunk 20-year-old woman drive his car in North Carolina; how he used the same NWA title belt as collateral for two different loans.

When Flair inevitably dies of liver failure, let's not do the thing we usually do where we whitewash history and pretend the deceased was a great man.

The Mecklenburg County courthouse in Charlotte contains thousands of pages documenting Fliehr’s legal adventures. There, it’s possible to unearth the gory specifics of a lifetime: how he passed out after attacking his son Reid in a fit of anger after the boy broke his drunken mother’s arm by pushing her out of an elevator; how he lost a fistfight with his daughter’s boyfriend; how he exposed his genitalia to airline attendants.1 One can also read how Fliehr allegedly flew into steroid-induced rages against his wife and children; how he suffered anxiety attacks and at least one nervous breakdown, how he broke his back in a 1975 plane crash; how he was mistreated by powerful bosses such as Eric Bischoff; how he bought millions of dollars’ worth of jewelry for the women in his life; how he was cited for letting a drunk 20-year-old woman drive his car in North Carolina; how he used the same NWA title belt as collateral for two different loans.

Hey, chivalry ain't dead, brah.

Shiv47

Now that Undertakers streak is dead, this should be the new storyline. Tying the win is part 1, and actually break it part 2.

Now how will all this play out who knows. But I'd like to see Flair involved if possible. No doubt HHH. Hell, maybe we can even get Charlotte involved.

It might all suck, or be great. I just think it's worth hyping it up.

That could actually be fun if done well. It's gonna happen regardless, so they may as well milk it.

Mahonay

Banned
do you seriously think he won't? where have you been the past 15 years
Haha, not watching much wrestling actually. I stopped around 2002-2003 and only started again in 2013.

Been using the Network to fill in the gaps I missed. Learning things like how I surprisingly really love Cena's Thuganomics gimmick.

Top Bottom