• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

August Wrasslin |OT| The Sunday of Summer

jmdajr

It leads to people being incredibly shocked when they discover that the characters they idolize aren't actually representative of the real life actors playing them.

It's like when people were so shocked that Hulk is a horrible human being. "But he teamed with Mr. T!"

And that's ok. That's life. My list of disappointment grows.

Gullible to think people are more good than bad. Maybe.

RP912

Banned
With every idol being exposed as a piece of shit...was Dusty really as bubbly and friendly as wrestlers make him out to be? I'm betting the only nice guys in professional wrestling is Bobby Eaton and JTG.

Cena's going to completely destroy Flair's record. As long as Vince is still in charge I see Cena getting to at least 18. Do I feel like he deserves it, eh, not really. I was halfway expecting Cena to win the title last night to tie Flair, only to have Sheamus cash in and take the belt away from him right away just to expedite the process of Cena breaking the record.

Does anyone really think that if Vince died tomorrow that Cena would never win again or something?

I would feel better about him doing it. What do you think Orton will do once his ring days are over?

Dream, there are a lot of things I have done in my life that have been embarrassing, and wrong. No one is perfect.

How far does Flair need to go before you can admit that he's not a good man? The evidence in this thread alone is pretty damning, the evidence out of his own mouth is quite damning. He's spent much of the last decade swindling marks out of money to pay his bills, but instead spending it on partying into his 60s at the risk of losing everything. For 30 years before that, he spent his time partying and cheating on his wives, performing frequent acts that would get him arrested and charged as a sex offender had they happened in a different era. He's a man who pushed three of his children into a profession he knew first hand would destroy them, and ended up literally killing one of his sons due to being connected with drugs in the wrestling business.

Does he need a racist rant on tape? Because he's had plenty that weren't recorded, but reported by black wrestlers. Perhaps the next time he's drunk and crying on TV, you should see him for the man he is, not the character he was 30 years ago.

Mahonay

Banned
Philanthropy is the future of marketing, friend.
TdtXqN1.gif

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I don't know New Day's theme, and just think this when I think of them.

I forgot this was a stable, but the theme made me remember after last night.

Legacy deserves another go. Cody and Ted and Randy version, that is.

With every idol being exposed as a piece of shit...was Dusty really as bubbly and friendly as wrestlers make him out to be? I'm betting the only nice guys in professional wrestling is Bobby Eaton and JTG.

Sounds like he was a wonderful human being, daddeh.

I'm praying LeVar Burton is still as perfect as he ever was. That's maybe my last idol left. He's a fucking beacon of hope and joy that people can be wonderful forever.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
They need to disband this Team PCB and Team BAD shit and bring in the Four Horsewomen

Apparently don't want shit like the Bayley/Banks match polluting the 5 hours of WWE programming they film every fucking week (25% of which is already just recap video packages)

Verendus

Banned
Imagine Rock hadn't left back in 2002. He'd have ended up as a 20 time champion by 2007 or something.

Good guy Rock.

Stepped back, and let others get a chance to do something.

RP912

Banned
Legacy deserves another go. Cody and Ted and Randy version, that is.

Sounds like he was a wonderful human being, daddeh.

I'm praying LeVar Burton is still as perfect as he ever was. That's maybe my last idol left. He's a fucking beacon of hope and joy that people can be wonderful forever.

Dude I was actually thinking about that the other day. I was watching Reading Rainbow on Netflix and thought to myself...."please don't end up being a prick...pleaseeeee".

jmdajr

Imagine Rock hadn't left back in 2002. He'd have ended up as a 20 time champion by 2007 or something.

Good guy Rock.

Stepped back, and let others get a chance to do something.

Good guy Rock didn't need the wins.

At same time, Cena has lost 14 times.

Lost to

Edge
RVD
Pectoral muscle Tear
Randy Orton
Sheamus
Batista
Cm Punk
Alberto Del Rio
Daniel Bryan
Brock

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Vader hasn't been shown in the game or anything but
8SlKp0e.jpg

that's where I got it from
Harley Race>>>>>>Flair

There I said it.

Not that dangerous of an opinion. Bret Hart agrees with you.

Terry Funk >>>>>> Flair. No amount of title reigns will make Flair better than Funk.

Now that you're all awake, you can agree with me that Sugiura is the new Double A.

dream

And that's ok. That's life. My list of disappointment grows.

Gullible to think people are more good than bad. Maybe.

I think when it comes to pro wrestlers, we have to assume that every one of them is a scumbag because look at the industry of which they are a part.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Dude I was actually thinking about that the other day. I was watching Reading Rainbow on Netflix and thought to myself...."please don't end up being a prick...pleaseeeee".

So far so good though. His body of work is exemplary. He's an amazing dude. Fuckin Reading Rainbow, Roots, Next Generation, and then a FUCKTON of philanthropy and continuing to keep people reading? He's amazing. Best dude.

yn1f6H5.jpg

Sephzilla

I'm not sure if you know this, but NXT is actually WWE programming.

I'm pretty sure he meant the 5 hours of WWE programming that makes it onto normal TV.

Also, NXT is put together by an almost entirely different team of people that put together Raw and SmackDown - so it's WWE programming only by association.

Fox318

So far so good though. His body of work is exemplary. He's an amazing dude. Fuckin Reading Rainbow, Roots, Next Generation, and then a FUCKTON of philanthropy and continuing to keep people reading? He's amazing. Best dude.

yn1f6H5.jpg

I know somebody who went to the same church as him for a while. She said he was really friendly and helpful to some of the elderly around him.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member

This looks like a "Fuck, you wrote 8000 on the list instead of 800, like we were going to give to the FDNY. I guess we could sell the extras."

I know somebody who went to the same church as him for a while. He said he was really friendly and helpful to some of the elderly around him.

That's so good. SO GOOD! He's a perfect human being.

Oersted

Philanthropy is the future of marketing, friend.

“It could very well pop up in WWE because we are all about what’s relevant, and what’s pop culture, and what people want to see. So if there is an opportunity, we might just take it…

heh

…You know, in WWE our storylines are a year long. They don’t go episodic, week to week—they really are the arc from WrestleMania to WrestleMania. So sometimes it takes a little longer than people would like for the seeds to grow. But we’re constantly planting them.”

heh

Win World Titles? Honestly, yes.

Even HHH knew when to put the fucking brakes on and not chase titles anymore.

"Even HHH". The post-NXT lionization of HHH by the internet is incredible. Here's the thing when it comes to title reigns in the modern era: There are untold more hours of content and wrestling to be seen today than there ever was during Flair's era. A typical champion defends his title on TV more in a year than Flair did for most of the 80s combined. Of course there would be more title reigns. There are far more matches. The more matches there are, the more the odds go up that you'll lose. This is basic logic.

There was a time period when 7 title reigns was thought of as unthinkable. Flair more than doubled it. Think about this: Adam Pearce has was held the NWA Championship more times than Lou Thesz, Dusty Rhodes, Jack Briscoe, and the Funks. That should be far, far more offensive than Cena, the biggest star of the past decade, eventually winning more titles than Ric Flair when competing on 52 Raws and 12-14 PPVs a year.

I'm pretty sure he meant the 5 hours of WWE programming that makes it onto normal TV.

NXT is promoted far harder than Smackdown, Main Event, and Superstars combined, though. Do you think a Smackdown/Main Event taping would sell out the Barclay's Center? Of course not. WWE has promoted NXT to something nearly as big as Raw itself. It's already more important than Smackdown has been for a decade.

Sephzilla

"Even HHH". The post-NXT lionization of HHH by the internet is incredible. Here's the thing when it comes to title reigns in the modern era: There are untold more hours of content and wrestling to be seen today than there ever was during Flair's era. A typical champion defends his title on TV more in a year than Flair did for most of the 80s combined. Of course there would be more title reigns. There are far more matches. The more matches there are, the more the odds go up that you'll lose. This is basic logic.

There was a time period when 7 title reigns was thought of as unthinkable. Flair more than doubled it. Think about this: Adam Pearce has was held the NWA Championship more times than Lou Thesz, Dusty Rhodes, Jack Briscoe, and the Funks. That should be far, far more offensive than Cena, the biggest star of the past decade, eventually winning more titles than Ric Flair when competing on 52 Raws and 12-14 PPVs a year.

NXT is promoted far harder than Smackdown, Main Event, and Superstars combined, though.

Jyx6lgZ.gif

So apparently saying something that has negative implication is lionizing him?

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
LeVar Burton would take New Day to a NEW frontier. Adopt the butterfly as their mascot.

dream

HHH's ability to reinvent himself for the same smark audience that hated him for the past 15 years is nothing short of incredible. He's created a character that allows the smark audience to buy into the idea that "oh, the selfish, burying HHH was just a character, and the HHH who is the fictional authority figure of NXT is the real Paul Levesque."

Top Bottom