• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

August Wrasslin |OT| The Sunday of Summer

only technically

I'm pretty sure he meant the 5 hours of WWE programming that makes it onto normal TV.

Also, NXT is put together by an almost entirely different team of people that put together Raw and SmackDown - so it's WWE programming only by association.

This is as ludicrous and buying into the hype as much as Finn Balor saying he'd rather stay in the minor league because they're really doing something special. NXT is 100% WWE. All the people running it are WWE employees. WWE logos are all over it. All the wrestlers are paid by WWE. It is not a special division. It is not a separate company. It is just another brand division of WWE, much like ECW was in 2006, touring solo in small buildings, pretending to be its own thing.

It's not. To pretend like it isn't WWE just because the presentation is a bit different is kool aid drinking to the max. It's WWE's take on 80s NWA meets modern indies. It's still WWE. Sasha and Bayley put on the great match under the WWE banner. It is, in fact, a cynical way to rope in the smart fans into thinking they're in on something the rest of the world doesn't know about yet. NXT is a perfect way to get indie fans back into WWE programming, spending their money on it instead of ROH/Evolve/PWG by pretending it isn't REALLY WWE. It's worked wonderfully.

Bronx-Man

Banned
HHH's ability to reinvent himself for the same smark audience that hated him for the past 15 years is nothing short of incredible. He's created a character that allows the smark audience to buy into the idea that "oh, the selfish, burying HHH was just a character, and the HHH who is the fictional authority figure of NXT is the real Paul Levesque."
What if I think HHH is an egotistical fuck that buried Booker T and pushed away CM Punk to retiremnet, but try to dissassociate NXT from him as much as possible?

Fox318

he's a red shirt

qtN5SUo.gif

Sephzilla

This is as ludicrous and buying into the hype as much as Finn Balor saying he'd rather stay in the minor league because they're really doing something special. NXT is 100% WWE. All the people running it are WWE employees. WWE logos are all over it. All the wrestlers are paid by WWE. It is not a special division. It is not a separate company. It is just another brand division of WWE, much like ECW was in 2006, touring solo in small buildings, pretending to be its own thing.

It's not. To pretend like it isn't WWE just because the presentation is a bit different is kool aid drinking to the max. It's WWE's take on 80s NWA meets modern indies. It's still WWE. Sasha and Bayley put on the great match under the WWE banner.

I think you're completely missing the point with what people are saying.

NXT is a WWE product, duh, no shit Sherlock. Everyone knows that NXT is basically ran by the guy who is married to Vince McMahon's daughter. But the two creative teams that go into actually creating the products are vastly different. What more people want is for the main WWE product (Raw) and it's creative team to treat women's wrestling more seriously as their NXT counterpart team does. To just sit back and go "HUR DUR NXT IS A WWE PRODUCT YOU SMARKS" is completely missing the point on why people want more NXT influence in WWE and why people view the two products as different entities because - outside of who's writing the checks, the key parts of the two programs are pretty different from each other.

imBask

Banned

It's not. To pretend like it isn't WWE just because the presentation is a bit different is kool aid drinking to the max. It's WWE's take on 80s NWA meets modern indies. It's still WWE. Sasha and Bayley put on the great match under the WWE banner.

NXT is watchable and mostly good
RAW isn't

my logic ends there

why are you looking deeper into it?

Ithil

It's not. To pretend like it isn't WWE just because the presentation is a bit different is kool aid drinking to the max. It's WWE's take on 80s NWA meets modern indies. It's still WWE. Sasha and Bayley put on the great match under the WWE banner. It is, in fact, a cynical way to rope in the smart fans into thinking they're in on something the rest of the world doesn't know about yet. NXT is a perfect way to get indie fans back into WWE programming, spending their money on it instead of ROH/Evolve/PWG. These posts show how well it has worked.

Who is saying NXT is not WWE? NXT and the main roster have separate creative teams, separate rosters and separate crews. That's the disconnect. Not that they aren't both WWE.

dream

Isn't it interesting that the NXT PPV opened with HHH introducing the show instead of the brand GM, Steve Regal, in that position?

jmdajr

NXT is a WWE product, duh, no shit Sherlock. Everyone knows that NXT is basically ran by the guy who is married to Vince McMahon's daughter. But the two creative teams that go into actually creating the products are vastly different. What more people want is for the main WWE product (Raw) and it's creative team to treat women's wrestling more seriously as their NXT counterpart team does.

Seems fair. I wouldn't hold my breath though.

Verendus

Banned
Imagine Stone Cold stunnering you from everywhere.

Standing stunner.

Springboard stunner.

Top rope twisting stunner.

Corner stunner.

Stunner everywhere. I just created a moveset for a superstar. That's like the next level of outta nowhere. It's a level up.

dream

HHH introduced the first NXT PPV too.

"Are You ready?"

Yup, which is just so masterful. By pretending to pander to the smarks, he's managed to become a character that the audience doesn't realize is a character. The guy really is brilliant.

Mahonay

Banned
Yup, which is just so masterful. By pretending to pander to the smarks, he's managed to become a character that the audience doesn't realize is a character. The guy really is brilliant.
He legitimately cares deeply about NXT and it shows.

And yes, he's simultaneously very cleverly painting himself in a completely different light than what we knew him as when he was burying other guys to get ahead in the business. I'm aware of that.

If I remember correctly, someone mentioned people at Takeover trying to start a Benoit chant:

As seen at NXT Takeover Saturday night, Triple H addressed the fans in attendance, and thanked them for attending the event. He also made an attempt to silence the crowd during the show’s intro so that he could give the illusion that he was in the arena alone.

Triple H’s attempt failed miserably and at one point several hecklers in the crowd started a “Chris Benoit” chant. A fan on Reddit noted that it was so loud that Triple H noticed it and told them, “that’s not funny, be quiet.”

That fucking comment is section is a mess.

Imagine Stone Cold stunnering you from everywhere.

Standing stunner.

Springboard stunner.

Top rope twisting stunner.

Corner stunner.

Stunner everywhere. I just created a moveset for a superstar. That's like the next level of outta nowhere. It's a level up.

Sounds like a Stone Cold fan's CAW movelist in No Mercy

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
you guys werent kidding, the finish really should have been the coup de gras whilst grabbing the belt in mid air... but I guess thats easier said than done, especially by us fat fucks behind a keyboard lol

great match tho, not as good as the womens match but what is these days really. These nXt specials man...

NXT is a WWE product, duh, no shit Sherlock. Everyone knows that NXT is basically ran by the guy who is married to Vince McMahon's daughter. But the two creative teams that go into actually creating the products are vastly different. What more people want is for the main WWE product (Raw) and it's creative team to treat women's wrestling more seriously as their NXT counterpart team does. To just sit back and go "HUR DUR NXT IS A WWE PRODUCT YOU SMARKS" is completely missing the point on why people want more NXT influence in WWE and why people view the two products as different entities because - outside of who's writing the checks, the key parts of the two programs are pretty different from each other.

That's where the disconnect is coming from. NXT is WWE. Unless you can influence yourself, this is not possible.

NXT is watchable and mostly good
RAW isn't

my logic ends there

why are you looking deeper into it?

That's the thing. It isn't even a deep look. NXT is on WWE Network and has WWE logos all over it. It has real life and on screen COO HHH starting the shows. It's on the surface and in your face that they are not separate entities of any kind.

Who is saying NXT is not WWE? NXT and the main roster have separate creative teams, separate rosters and separate crews. That's the disconnect. Not that they aren't both WWE.

People in this very thread are saying NXT is only WWE by association or on a technicality. The implication is that NXT is actually a separate company. Which would be akin to saying that HR and the janitorial staff are actually separate companies and only technically working under the same umbrella. Despite working at the same office and getting paid by the same people.

imBask

Banned
That's the thing. It isn't even a deep look. NXT is on WWE Network and has WWE logos all over it. It has real life and on screen COO HHH starting the shows. It's on the surface and in your face that they are not separate entities of any kind.

you're still looking way too deep into it, you can't tell me you see the same thing when you watch NXT and RAW... Not the same feel, not the same people in charge

Vince is what makes RAW unwatchable

Sephzilla

That's where the disconnect is coming from. NXT is WWE. Unless you can influence yourself, this is not possible.

Here's where you're having the disconnect. NXT and Raw/Smackdown use two completely different creative teams. They're only "the same" by way of the guys writing the checks. You seem to think "NXT does so and so great so that means we need to be okay with Raw/Smackdown doing something like shit, because some other part of the WWE company is doing it right". That's like saying the 3DS is selling well so lets ignore what the Wii-U is fucking up.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"

I wouldn't worry about it. This is the same dude that tried to legit explain to everyone why Owens/Cesaro was the "piss break match" as though that was relevant in any way.

Its sort of like when people question why something happened in a match and there's that one guy who makes sure to be a huge smartass with "you know wrestling is fake right"

NoRéN

Here's where you're having the disconnect. NXT and Raw/Smackdown use two completely different creative teams. They're only "the same" by way of the guys writing the checks. You seem to think "NXT does so and so great so that means we need to be okay with Raw/Smackdown doing something like shit, because some other part of the WWE company is doing it right". That's like saying the 3DS is selling well so lets ignore what the Wii-U is fucking up.

That's a good way of putting it!

i think. i don't know. Too busy drinking that NXT kool-aid.

Will you guys be sad when Vince dies? I really want to know.

Of course I would. Regardless if it means things will get better or not, I don't think there's a fan that wouldn't be sad. For as much harm as he's done, he's probably brought even more good. Vince is one of the few of the older guys left that I'll genuinely be sad about passing away.

I've almost finished the SCSA Podcast with Vampiro.

I've no idea how much of what he said was true, but it was an interesting listen none the less.

RP912

Banned
Somebody pointed out that Trips is pretty much doing what Vince did. Vince took the talents from the territories and damn near bankrupting them. Trips taking talents from indy promotions and trying to cook up his own version of an indy show. In a way it seems like he's conning the business by hiding the fact of this same doing as Vince. I could be wrong and Triple H really cares about the business and wants NXT to grow. However, until the promotion separates itself from the WWE entirely...it's pretty much a developmental territory with bells and whistles.

imBask

Banned
Will you guys be sad when Vince dies? I really want to know.

of course, he was the best heel the company ever had during the attitude era, I grew up hating his character

As hard as it may seem, it's a sad thing, but it'll be good business-wise. Iwata is a great comparison, same type of deal. I HATED Iwata and his decisions, but that was just BUSINESS-WISE... He died and it was sad, he seemed like a good person, but on the business side i'm glad he's not in charge anymore

touchy subject

Ithil

Somebody pointed out that Trips is pretty much doing what Vince did. Vince took the talents from the territories and damn near bankrupting them. Trips taking talents from indy promotions and trying to cook up his own version of an indy show. In a way it seems like he's conning the business by hiding the fact of this same doing as Vince. I could be wrong and Triple H really cares about the business and wants NXT to grow. However, until the promotion separates itself from the WWE entirely...it's pretty much a developmental territory with bells and whistles.

If I was running a promotion with access to Vince McMahon's money and resources, I too would drain the indies dry and take all the best talent to be in my promotion. That seems like common sense to me if I want to have the best promotion I can.

Top Bottom