• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

August Wrasslin |OT| The Sunday of Summer

imBask

Banned
Because wrestling fans are silly, sometimes. Without Turner's money, Bischoff never would have been able to hire the talent and big names that allowed him to make WCW successful. This is standard "people don't know what an executive producer really does" type stuff. WCW ultimately failed as soon as they stopped getting Time Warner money and TV time. They could have had the greatest writers and wrestlers in the world and it wouldn't have mattered at that point. Anyone giving sole credit to Bischoff has no idea how businesses work.

I don't even know what you're saying anymore, you're arguing with yourself

RAW = Vince
NXT = HHH

proven by multiple source

RAW = bad
NXT = good

The end

Because wrestling fans are silly, sometimes. Without Turner's money, Bischoff never would have been able to hire the talent and big names that allowed him to make WCW successful. This is standard "people don't know what an executive producer really does" type stuff. WCW ultimately failed as soon as they stopped getting Time Warner money and TV time. They could have had the greatest writers and wrestlers in the world and it wouldn't have mattered at that point. Anyone giving sole credit to Bischoff has no idea how businesses work.

Seriously have no idea what you are arguing. Vince runs raw and HHH runs NXT. It's not that complicated.

WCW stopped getting funded after Turner was ousted after the merger

Ithil

WCW died because one executive after the AOL/Time merger looked at it and said "We don't want wrestling on our channel". Without TV the company was worthless, and that was that.

Cagey

Banned
Summerslam was fun. Lots of small things to complain about but the show was very enjoyable so that's all that matters.

There is... ONE MAN.

And it's going to happen.

Balee dat.

tumblr_nspgd1zH381uta6xoo6_250.gif

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
The payoff was supposed to be that whomever finally defeats Lesnar becomes a big fucking deal. Unfortunately WWE kind of screwed the pooch with that one because instead of someone cleanly beating Brock and shattering that invincibility, they've just had Brock lose by increasingly screwy means.

Eh, they've already patched up whatever damage might have been done, and we haven't even gotten to Raw yet. Brock made the Undertaker tap out, and that's going to be drilled into people's skulls for MONTHS. Summerslam also ended with Brock Lesnar's music after Paul Heyman declared him the winner. Those two things are going to be the long term takeaways from the match once time dulls the fuckery of the finish in everyone's memory and Paul's hype machine does its thing.

Lesnar can lose via shenanigans (last night, Wrestlemania, etc.) and still have his mystique intact enough to make it a big fucking deal when somebody beats him legit.

Sephzilla

Do you think that, possibly, there are people who actually enjoy Raw and have little to no interest in NXT?

It would be a little easier to compare if both of them had weekly televised shows on a network station where you could compare ratings.

Also, you've shifted your goalposts so far that I'm pretty sure we're on a completely different football field at this point.

imBask

Banned
Do you think that, possibly, there are people who actually enjoy Raw and have little to no interest in NXT?

then argue that you like what you see on RAW instead of arguing that Vince did nothing wrong, we're talking majority here. Ratings are at an all time low and the Network is below expectations (in addition of being trash outside the US) so i'm guessing it's not all flowers and rainbow

jmdajr

then argue that you like what you see on RAW instead of arguing that Vince did nothing wrong, we're talking majority here. Ratings are at an all time low and the Network is below expectations (in addition of being trash outside the US) so i'm guessing it's not all flowers and rainbow

Not true.

RP912

Banned
I don't know, he was also naive and let Nash, Hall and Hogan book themselves which kinda sucked

I think the only issue with that whole booking process was Hogan. Dude bled WCW of it's finances and pretty much ran the ratings in the ground because of his "card". Imagine if Hogan took the contract in the beginning, but decided "You know what, I'm putting over the talent". It would put him in the good light, while letting the roster grow because it wouldn't be all Hogan and his pals. Nash booking was iffy. For every good decision, he made one bad decision (Goldberg losing/Finger point of doom).

This is why the inmates don't run the asylum.

Sephzilla

Not true.

Ratings are pretty low, then?

WWE ratings aren't at an all time low, but if they start dipping any lower then we're going to start getting comparisons to the Diesel era.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
The problem I see with Lesnar is that basically anyone beating him seems totally implausible. The only reason it seemed vaguely plausible Undertaker could win is that he's a 50 year old legend and WWE protects those guys.

But basically anyone else you already know what happens - lesnar wins or fuck finish

jmdajr

The problem I see with Lesnar is that basically anyone beating him seems totally implausible. The only reason it seemed vaguely plausible Undertaker could win is that he's a 50 year old legend and WWE protects those guys.

But basically anyone else you already know what happens - lesnar wins or fuck finish

And you have to, unless you can find another beast. I have no issue with this.
You can have decent fuck finishes though.

Sephzilla

With the proper build up, any of the mid or upper card talents could plausibly be a threat to Lesnar. I would have totally bought Pre-Cena Rusev as a threat to Lesnar, for example. I would have bought Bryan being a threat to Lesnar simply because Bryan can stand there and said "I killed vipers, animals, and end games. I've already killed beasts"

It would be a little easier to compare if both of them had weekly televised shows on a network station where you could compare ratings.

Also, you've shifted your goalposts so far that I'm pretty sure we're on a completely different football field at this point.

It's not shifting goalposts. He used the example of NXT being good and Raw being bad. I'm just asking if he's considered that not everyone shares that opinion with him.

jmdajr

With the proper build up, any of the mid or upper card talents could plausibly be a threat to Lesnar. I would have totally bought Pre-Cena Rusev as a threat to Lesnar, for example. I would have bought Bryan being a threat to Lesnar simply because Bryan can stand there and said "I kill vipers, animals, and end games. I've already killed beasts"

I hope they can "fix" Rusev. It's nice to see a personality but I want the Crusher back..soonish.

Top Bottom