• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

August Wrasslin |OT| The Sunday of Summer

Fucking hell, Sabu;

khgLHnF.png

TppGuu8.png

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
As for the Cena thing, that one is easy - Cena doesn't kill anyone, its just that everyone mistakes a Cena feud as being pushed to the moon because Cena is always going to be a big deal for WWE. The reality is they put guys like Owens into those feuds to get them exposure, not because Owens was going to be rocketed to the WWE title.

If Owens came up and immediately feuded with Cesaro on curtain jerkers, people would instead be complaining that they failed to sell them to the audience.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Orton was definitely not elevated by Cena's career. He got elevated initially by Foley then elevated by avoiding Cena for long periods of time.

MC Safety

He hasn't, that's the bottom line. Cena's tried to elevate people, but much like any vehicle, if all the parts aren't working together, it won't go. Your engine can only be so powerful, but if you're missing a tire, you won't move.

This makes a lot more sense than this ...

He didnt but the booking around him did

GAF is semantics today holy crap

Anyway, all the guys mentioned are doing just fine. Except for Sandow, they all had matches at SummerSlam, one of the biggest pay-per-views of the year.

imBask

Banned

Anyway, all the guys mentioned are doing just fine. Except for Sandow, they all had matches at SummerSlam, one of the biggest pay-per-views of the year.

Barrett isn't exactly in good shape... Alicia Fox and whatsisface from that one show were also in a match at SummerSlam you know

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member

Yeah. I'll still stand by Sandow ain't shit.

Bryan was helped by HHH
I don't know if I'd say Cena elevated Edge, I almost think it was the other way around.
Orton was elevated by others before Cena.
Ryder was never helped by Cena at all.

odHo4kt.gif

It was this exact moment that Bryan was cemented as an official star
Edge and Cena went both ways. Their feud helped make Cena into a top guy and Edge into a top heel.
Orton was still a rookie young gun character who was in Haitch's shadow till he broke off from HHH and Tister and became a top guy through feuds with Cena
Ryder was elevated enough to have his character and story during his time on television and PPVs to be in the main event scene as shit as it was.

But Ryder fits into a CENA BUDDY category where he wasn't shit after losing to Cena, he's one of the many who went to shit after being a Cena Buddy

I don't think I've ever seen Bray win a match.

Me neither, apart from that one time he beat Bryan at the Royal Rumble, so when Bryan went on to win the Rumble and the resulting mania title match Bray would be a natural threat and their match would have a decent build and heat and the WWE would have a new top heel. I mean, that pretty much writes itself, right?

Cybit

FGC Waterboy
So I guess Cena skyrocketing Punk, Bryan, Owens, and recently Cesaro into the main event is meaningless too?

Lets be honest - for being "the guy"; he's easily jobbed the most of anyone that level. Anyone think Hogan would job to Owens in Owens first match? Anyone think Bret would let someone like Lesnar beat his character to a bloody pulp with little to no offense in return ala Summerslam 2014?

I get Cena's character is stale and corny and not really aimed at us - but LOLCENAWINS hasn't been true in several years now; and he's taken multiple clean losses to skyrocket folks like Bryan and Owens and Punk in recent years. That's not something that happens historically much if at all from top guys.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Owens running away all the time still makes no fucking sense.

Sephzilla

odHo4kt.gif

It was this exact moment that Bryan was cemented as an official star
Edge and Cena went both ways. Their feud helped make Cena into a top guy and Edge into a top heel.
Orton was still a rookie young gun character who was in Haitch's shadow till he broke off from HHH and Tister and became a top guy through feuds with Cena
Ryder was elevated enough to have his character and story during his time on television and PPVs to be in the main event scene as shit as it was.

But Ryder fits into a CENA BUDDY category where he wasn't shit after losing to Cena, he's one of the many who went to shit after being a Cena Buddy

What happened shortly after that is what (retroactively) gave birth to the entire WM30 storyline though and led to Bryan's best match in WWE.

12164%20-%20autoplay_gif%20daniel_bryan%20gif%20hunter_hearst_helmsley%20pedigree%20referee%20summerslam%20wwe%20wwe_championship.gif

Angry Grimace

Serious question: how much creative control does Cena even have

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
The idea of John Cena ruining Zack Ryder's career is fucking hilarious though. It's not like he was some mid-carder on the cusp of main eventing. He was a dude in ECW that was just below Santino level comedy act that thought he could be a seriously wrestle. Zack Ryder would have never even gotten the chances to be 'buried' if it wasn't for Cena acknowledging Zack Ryder's show. WWE would have ignored the show and the fans on that one until the fans got bored(like they always do and like they did, which had nothing to do with Cena) and Ryder would still be in the same shitty position he was always in.

Fave five entrance themes right now:

1. Sasha Banks
2. Evil Emma
3. Timothy Thatcher
4. Brock Lesnar
5. Finn Balor

It's Taya's entrance now so it still counts
That shit is big match feel music. I love the intro.

So I guess Cena skyrocketing Punk, Bryan, Owens, and recently Cesaro into the main event is meaningless too?

Lets be honest - for being "the guy"; he's easily jobbed the most of anyone that level. Anyone think Hogan would job to Owens in Owens first match? Anyone think Bret would let someone like Lesnar beat his character to a bloody pulp with little to no offense in return ala Summerslam 2014?

I get Cena's character is stale and corny and not really aimed at us - but LOLCENAWINS hasn't been true in several years now; and he's taken multiple clean losses to skyrocket folks like Bryan and Owens and Punk in recent years. That's not something that happens historically much if at all from top guys.

image.gif

Cybit

FGC Waterboy
Owens running away all the time still makes no fucking sense.

Because the crowd will try to turn him face if he just runs around kicking people's asses all the time. Hell, Lesnar did that and he managed to turn face even after ending Taker's streak. The reason you don't have super strong heels as much any more is because WWE fans will start cheering them regardless of what else they do if they keep winning (see: Mark Henry, Hall of Pain, or 2014 Lesnar)

A lot of times people complain about how a heel is being booked is because they want to ironically cheer the character into being a face.

RP912

Banned
Bray sucks but you're probably right. I think it's ridiculous he got a match with Taker at Mania this past year, so I'm sure he'll main event against Sting or some shit.

Bray/Sting for his retirement match would be glorious. The segments, the video package, and promos.

In reality, Taker/Sting seems like it's going to happen unless they stretch out the feud with Bork into WM 32.

Let's not lead people on, dude. The extensive rants about Cena and Flair are borderline creepy and unhealthy.

Oh Im sorry that I have followed since 1985, and that I don't like whats going on now. That I recognize when someone revolutionized the business, and was the most important champion in its history. Ric Fliar was the most heavily relied upon and important champion ever.

Sephzilla

Because the crowd will try to turn him face if he just runs around kicking people's asses all the time. Hell, Lesnar did that and he managed to turn face even after ending Taker's streak. The reason you don't have super strong heels as much any more is because WWE fans will start cheering them regardless of what else they do if they keep winning (see: Mark Henry, Hall of Pain, or 2014 Lesnar)

A lot of times people complain about how a heel is being booked is because they want to ironically cheer the character into being a face.

But PG WWE isn't willing to do anything edgy anymore to make people actually hate the bad guys. If you aren't willing to make your villains actually despicable people, you're always going to get people who cheer for the heels.

I'm ranking solely as pieces of music, and I love the song.

oooooooh okay, makes more sense

jett

D-Member
Hey WrassleGAF

I got the NINE NINETY-NINE free month yesterday for Summerslam. What's some good stuff I should watch on the network? I got NXT TakeOver Brooklyn queued up.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Some of you who actually like Joey Samoey's theme, it's ok to drop the jokes. It's shit, it's hilarious shit.

Hey WrassleGAF

I got the NINE NINETY-NINE free month yesterday for Summerslam. What's some good stuff I should watch on the network? I got NXT TakeOver Brooklyn queued up.

Mania 30 is a fun watch. If you like roundtables, Legends of Wrestling Roundtables are dope as fuck. Some of the earlier big NXT events are great.

klonere

Banned
Some of you who actually like Joey Samoey's theme, it's ok to drop the jokes. It's shit, it's hilarious shit.

Mania 30 is a fun watch. If you like roundtables, Legends of Wrestling Roundtables are dope as fuck. Some of the earlier big NXT events are great.

Wait do you mean the old one or the new one. The new one is perfectly fine?

RP912

Banned
Hey WrassleGAF

All of the NXT take overs, Starrcade 85, Summerslam 95 (for lol material), ECW Barely Legal, and WM 30.

Hey WrassleGAF

Check out Swerved. It gives you an unprecedented backstage look behind the scenes at WWE, but also a deeper insight into how these Superstars and Divas conduct themselves as they make their way from show to show.

klonere

Banned

Sheamus is the most effective heel in getting the appropriate reaction from the crowd.

Think about that, my fellah is the best heel.

In the company.

Seth who?

You're over emotional on this site in general, but surprisingly moreso in this thread and it is fucking weird. We're all here to chill and have fun, man. Wish you could do the same without spitting fire at real people. I cannot think of a single other poster in this forum is actively hates someone (Cena) doing their job and cites unrelated reasons (Flair). It's fucked up.

You're sense of entitlement assumes that history is being rewritten. Nothing that happens going forward changes the past. It's a win-win for Cena and Flair fans alike.

Ok. I will chill now. I don't want to drag you guys down.

Sorry.

Top Bottom