• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

August Wrasslin |OT| The Sunday of Summer

jett

D-Member
Thanks for the recommendations maynes, that sure is a lot of-

It's pretty good
dSoBJjQ.gif

I mean the wrestlers on it are probably pretty good too

who dis

klonere

Banned
Because it's harder it's not worth doing?

Wrestlers aren't the only one trapped in this indie wrestling, alignment doesn't matter, dope spots and workrate matter mindset. Fans are too.

Headlocks. Chinlocks. Slow shit down. Eye rakes. Be a villain.

Don't do three consecutive dives to the floor and then ham it to the crowd like you're the damned underdog good guy.

Seth draws money by having that moveset and clearly they've given him the go ahead to start busting all that shit out now. His heel heat is meant to come from interference, like how we'd always groan at Kane coming down to hit Ambrose or something or J&J shenanigans or Authority handicapping stuff. And so, last night Stewart came down to the ring and did the duty, to which we got "Thank you Stewart" chants, to a celebrity who had inserted himself in the match and beaten the heel for no reason that has been reasonably explained. You think eye rakes and headlocks are gonna help that?

If Seth was an old school wrestling heel we'd be eviscerating him because he'd be still doing the HHH 20 minute shtick with no compelling reason to ever see him wrestle a match. Its going to be a Rollins match, I'm going to see him do some holds, grab the ropes, try for low blows, whatever. Yano Toru as the top heel of your company does not work in 2015 for better or worse.

klonere

Banned
I can't remember, when CJ Parker gave Owens that palm strike, how did the crowd react to that?

I can't actually remember what the exact reaction was - when Owens debuted he was still a face so I guess he got a bigger babyface reaction? Afterwards they made a lot out of it though and it was a very cool visual to sell him as a legit tough dude.

Browny

Banned
Hey WrassleGAF

I got the NINE NINETY-NINE free month yesterday for Summerslam. What's some good stuff I should watch on the network? I got NXT TakeOver Brooklyn queued up.
Everything that everyone else has recommended, plus Royal Rumble 2000 and December To Dismember. For very different reasons.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
both brock and taker arent going to be on raw tonight ffs

well brock isnt confirmed to be appearing but this is status for taker

Well, isn't it about time for Brock to leave anyways? Dude is only signed up for so many events a year and the gimmick alone pretty much guarantees he's not showing up at the next one.

Seth draws money by having that moveset and clearly they've given him the go ahead to start busting all that shit out now. His heel heat is meant to come from interference, like how we'd always groan at Kane coming down to hit Ambrose or something or J&J shenanigans or Authority handicapping stuff. And so, last night Stewart came down to the ring and did the duty, to which we got "Thank you Stewart" chants, to a celebrity who had inserted himself in the match and beaten the heel for no reason that has been reasonably explained. You think eye rakes and headlocks are gonna help that?

If Seth was an old school wrestling heel we'd be eviscerating him because he'd be still doing the HHH 20 minute shtick with no compelling reason to ever see him wrestle a match. Its going to be a Rollins match, I'm going to see him do some holds, grab the ropes, try for low blows, whatever. Yano Toru as the top heel of your company does not work in 2015 for better or worse.

Worst ratings in nearly 20 years says Seth isn't drawing money regardless of his move set. As if a move set ever drew money anyway.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Worst ratings in nearly 20 years says Seth isn't drawing money regardless of his move set. As if a move set ever drew money anyway.

This is the reason Vince gave for cutting Bryan's storyline off after SummerSlam 2013.

klonere

Banned

Urrite Seth Rollins has single-handedly precipitated the ratings collapse over the last decade that the WWE finds itself. Lets get him to start doing 2 minute front chinlocks and eye rakes or better yet, get the belts back on Cena. Lets do that.

klonere

Banned
Boo,

No Ireland show for the NXT UK tour.

I guess I should have expected it since they said UK and not "UK and Ireland" but I had hopes.

Same. How can you have the main NXT guy be Irish and not go to Dublin?

Ah I'd say they think it'd be too much of a risk to not sellout or do really well in at the Point.

Same. How can you have the main NXT guy be Irish and not go to Dublin?

Ah I'd say they think it'd be too much of a risk to not sellout or do really well in at the Point.

Finn will probably still be a part of the standard main roster tour I will guess.

Didnt he wrestle in the Point last time WWE was over after mania? I think they normally have a token NXT match for house shows for those big tours. Maybe this will change that though.

Cybit

FGC Waterboy
This is the reason Vince gave for cutting Bryan's storyline off after SummerSlam 2013.

I thought it was because the buyrate for SSlam was low?

Aside: If they don't have anything planned for Reigns & Ambrose; I'd love for them to a) compete for the tag titles or b) have Reigns turn on Ambrose and join Rollins. Rollins as the champ with Reigns as his enforcer I think has some serious legs. If they want SSlam to be taken like Summer WM - they need to consistently have SSlam be a reboot / major chapter for main characters.

Jamie OD

Finn will probably still be a part of the standard main roster tour I will guess.

Didnt he wrestle in the Point last time WWE was over after mania? I think they normally have a token NXT match for house shows for those big tours. Maybe this will change that though.

Correct. I bet he'll regularly wrestle on the Irish house shows even if he stays in NXT for a long time.

Angry Grimace

It was the buyrate for SummerSlam, which was actually better than Punk/Cena's outing, yet Punk still got pushed (albeit shoddily). Bryan was always doing well in ratings IIRC

Yeah, that's what I mean. He said it wasn't selling so that was apparently the reason Bryan's story that look like it was starting there didn't pick back up until after Royal Rumble.

I don't mean specifically "ratings," I'm just comparing it to idea he was saying that Rollins isn't bringing in the ratings/money.

Angry Grimace

I thought it was because the buyrate for SSlam was low?

Aside: If they don't have anything planned for Reigns & Ambrose; I'd love for them to a) compete for the tag titles or b) have Reigns turn on Ambrose and join Rollins. Rollins as the champ with Reigns as his enforcer I think has some serious legs. If they want SSlam to be taken like Summer WM - they need to consistently have SSlam be a reboot / major chapter for main characters.

Reigns being Rollins enforcer is the most Diesel/Shawn sounding thing ever.

klonere

Banned

Correct. I bet he'll regularly wrestle on the Irish house shows even if he stays in NXT for a long time.

Yeah Finn was at the last round of shows, my bud went and said he wrestled Neville and then Sheamus came out and cut a heel promo on them both. Something like that anyway. So I guess he'll be here in November or whenever the next house show is.

Roman turning heel would be fucking amazing right now.

I want Roman to murder Ambrose, murder face Rollins for the title, murder some other faces and then tell the fans to all go and fuck themselves. It'd be amazing and I'd be 100% behind it.

Dude sure needs something for people to cling onto.

He is getting in the post Royal Rumble rut again where they are trying to make him seem super important but he is still just kind of there going through the motions and being super dull.

A shame because I though he was on the right track after WM.

Sephzilla

Roman should turn on Ambrose and say that it's because the fans turned on him first and because he's seen how Rollins career has really taken off since Rollins turned on them both. It would benefit Roman because it gives him something fresh and perhaps a chance to vent a little at the fans who shit on him before Mania. It also benefits Ambrose because now Ambrose's character can become a white-hot ball of fire now that he's had two of his friends betray him.

So, obviously, Roman will stay face and Ambrose will turn into a heel.

OctoMan

Banned
Urrite Seth Rollins has single-handedly precipitated the ratings collapse over the last decade that the WWE finds itself. Lets get him to start doing 2 minute front chinlocks and eye rakes or better yet, get the belts back on Cena. Lets do that.
How about tv ratings are falling all fucking over and it has nothing to do with 1 star or not.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
How about tv ratings are falling all fucking over and it has nothing to do with 1 star or not.

Instead it has to do with tv ratings plunging overall and the adoption of internet as television

imBask

Banned
Dude sure needs something for people to cling onto.

He is getting in the post Royal Rumble rut again where they are trying to make him seem super important but he is still just kind of there going through the motions and being super dull.

A shame because I though he was on the right track after WM.

he's booked as a bro-dude but he's still wearing his FUCKING SHIELD GEAR OMG TAKE IT OFF ROMAN WEAR SOMETHING ELSE GRRRRRR

Cybit

FGC Waterboy

I think that might be why they had Ambrose & Reigns beat Wyatt so convincingly. I think they intend to make this RAW a RAW where lots of stories take their next step. They are desperate for ME heels at this point. I think Reigns turning heel is a good step at this point; especially because it sets up a triple threat WM 32 match for the title potentially.

Also; I sorta wonder whether WWE is waiting on UFC / Rousey before they finalize WM 32 plans? The Foley / Stewart promo planted potential seeds for Brock / Rock - which might be the fallback if Rousey can't compete in WM 32. You could do Taker / Brock III, or go Rock / Brock and Taker / Cena.

e factions will be trying to recruit Goldberg for their internal power struggles. When the story is written years from now, people will be shocked that Goldberg's first world title win wasn't something planned in advance and came simply because a company was desperate after losing the television ratings the week before. But that wasn't all that different from how Lou Thesz ended up with the title the first time either. July 6, 1998 could be a historical night for pro wrestling ushering in the first big match of one of the most charismatic figures the game has ever seen. Or it could have been one humongous pop for a moment, a moment that means nothing in the long run.

Meltz on Goldberg

I feel like this comment killed your own argument. If the moveset doesn't matter why shouldn't he do indy flippy face shit?

It matters because it is poor story telling to have a guy portrayed as a slimy cheap heel to be doing things specifically that are going to make fans cheer for him. But my comment was more about how the biggest draws never had the big move sets. Hogan, Rock, Austin, Flair, Dusty. None of them did a bunch of moves, but the moves they did made sense with their characters.

Amount of moves has never been and will never be what draws in wrestling. It is always, always, always about the personalities, characters, and stories. Move sets matter in the sense that they need to match your character, not in terms of how many moves you actually do. Seth's move set is completely at odds with his character.

Rollins working face only made sense had he won or if Stewart didn't interfere. Cena's gotta call that out at least. I'm on mobile but Cena tweeted he had Rollins respect but wanted Stewart which makes zero sense to me.

Angry Grimace

Roman should turn on Ambrose and say that it's because the fans turned on him first and because he's seen how Rollins career has really taken off since Rollins turned on them both. It would benefit Roman because it gives him something fresh and perhaps a chance to vent a little at the fans who shit on him before Mania. It also benefits Ambrose because now Ambrose's character can become a white-hot ball of fire now that he's had two of his friends betray him.

So, obviously, Roman will stay face and Ambrose will turn into a heel.

This is all assuming Roman can even cut a heel promo. Heel Shield was mostly him standing around looking menacing.

dream

I really want to like Becky Lynch because she is beautiful, and she is a good hand. But her demeanor is so grating. She constantly comes off like the little sister who is jumping on her big sister's shoulders, screaming "look at me, world, I'm pretty good too! Aren't I pretty good too? I belong here too!"

Why Isn't this on the NETWORK, this sounds AMAZING

The event kicked off on 7/1 with an arm-wrestling match with Vince McMahon and Steve Austin. The event was held on a lagoon near the Cambridge Mall Galleria, before a crowd estimated by various sources as between 2,000 and 4,000. McMahon did every heel arm wrestling stalling tactic before locking up, and eventually when they did, Austin put him down. This led to Austin asking the fans if they wanted to see McMahon thrown in the lagoon which they did and McMahon wound up taking the dive. Dok Hendrix was also thrown in the lagoon for good measure. However, early ticket sales have been a huge disappointment based on the current standards of the industry. As of press time, the event had sold 2,000 tickets for $60,000. WWF officials are hopeful that there will be more interest after the WWF's event at the Fleet Center in Boston, which takes place on 7/10 as the rescheduled date from the postponed 6/27 show.

Fox318

He should be a politician who convinces people its in their good graces that they lay down for him.

Like he beats Bo after Bo lays down for him after he says he will get Bo an inspirational book deal.

Bo lays down only for Reigns to say that when he said a Book deal he meant that he would work at a book store and he owes Reigns 10,000 for getting him that job.

Angry Grimace

I really want to like Becky Lynch because she is beautiful, and she is a good hand. But her demeanor is so grating. She constantly comes off like the little sister who is jumping on her big sister's shoulders, screaming "look at me, world, I'm pretty good too! Aren't I pretty good too? I belong here too!"

That's what makes her cute though.

Fox318

heel Roman just sounds like another way to get The Authority angle to last even longer

As long as Vince is alive Steph and HHH will be centerstage.

Only reason Reigns doesn't turn heel is because of all of the anti-bully stuff they filmed and the ads with him and his daughter.

If Rocky Mavia had filmed that shit we would have never gotten NoD Rock

Inoki is amazing

They tried to do a weird angle that apparently didn't go over very well on 7/6. Satoru Sayama announced that a mystery teacher for Naoya Ogawa would be flying in from the U.S. The reporters went to the airport for his arrival, but the plane he was supposed to be on had nobody. Sayama got on a telephone and claimed he was talking to the mystery guy. Then finally he points the guy out, and from a distance it looks like a cowboy with a moustache, however it was Antonio Inoki in disguise and they claimed his name was Mr. Wally. The reporters all thought it was stupid. Mr. Wally will appear at the UFO promotion that Sayama is putting together on a beach on 7/18. There won't be any New Japan wrestlers there to try and give the impression they are separate organizations. Inoki is actually back in Japan campaigning for his older brother who is among several people with wrestling ties running for the Diet elections which are on 7/12, among them being New Japan wrestler Kengo Kimura and AJW wrestler Yumiko Hotta, both of whom are out campaigning this week

As long as Vince is alive Steph and HHH will be centerstage.

Only reason Reigns doesn't turn heel is because of all of the anti-bully stuff they filmed and the ads with him and his daughter.

If Rocky Mavia had filmed that shit we would have never gotten NoD Rock

Hm. Was it Vince's decision to have HHH and Steph on the NXT show?

Sephzilla

Hm. Was it Vince's decision to have HHH and Steph on the NXT show?

HHH runs NXT, so he opened their biggest show ever with a speech. Vince did the same thing with WrestleMania.

But I think comparing HHH and Steph being at Takeover to The Authority angle is apples and oranges. One is them talking about NXT, the other is them continuing on a gimmick that Vince won't let die because it was over in the 90s (and involved a McMahon).

Top Bottom