• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

August Wrasslin |OT| The Sunday of Summer

Man God

Non-Canon Member
qeVEUom.gif

...I never put two and two together. Butt funnels is why Sunny Mac loves the show so much. #Followtheassmoney

This Raw had 1 less hour than Summerslam

and 6 less matches

Raws should be composed mainly of character-building segments, tag matches, and squash matches, so that "big" matches feel more special on PPV and aren't diluted by having their good spots spoiled on the blander booking of TV matches. The problem is not so much the lack of matches as it is the lackluster storytelling after the first hour.

Goddamn, that first hour was so great. Great Heyman promo, Brock killing Bo, New Day absolutely killing it, a surprising return of the Dudley Boys, both of whom we know from TNA can still go and who could probably have very entertaining matches with both New Day and the Prime Time Players, and the supremely well-executed of Braun Strowman, who has a great look.

Further proof that NXT's chief strength is its length.

Edit: My first thought when I saw Braun is he probably has a higher ceiling than Bray. Get him clean-shaven, and he's a Vince guy through and through.

KissVibes

Banned
Sting wins the WWE WHC from Rollins, HEEL UNDERTAKER challages him to a match at RR, UNDERTAKER wins, Cena wins Rumble after eliminating Daniel Bryan and Cesaro at the same time, Brock uses his rematch against Taker to be in match at WMStar.

CENA BEATS BOTH MEN AND RETIRES UNDERTAKER; BECOMES GREATEST CHAMPION IN THE SPORTS HISTORY.

If I was a diva I'd be pissed too. They're doing their jobs. The bookers are doing their jobs given that they're under instructions to put the diva's title on ice. The writers are letting the whole thing down. You could explain this shit. Give it some fucking stakes.

But fuck that crowd too. No, you weren't awesome. You were good cheering for Sasha. You were good cheering for Blue Pants. Don't do the wave and make the divas in the ring busting their asses look like chumps because the writers have given the matches in this revolution *zero* stakes.

Seriously, can we fire every crowd that does the 'we are awesome' chant?

Zabka

It's amazing how bad the WWE has become at pushing anything. Having the heel announcer scream out hashtags kills everything.

#DivasRevolution has turned an entire division into Roman Reigns.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
I just want Wyatts vs Dudleys now, they are both weird redneck families.

What's Spike doing these days? He can bump for that new big ass dude

If I was a diva I'd be pissed too. They're doing their jobs. The bookers are doing their jobs given that they're under instructions to put the diva's title on ice. The writers are letting the whole thing down. You could explain this shit. Give it some fucking stakes.

But fuck that crowd too. No, you weren't awesome. You were good cheering for Sasha. You were good cheering for Blue Pants. Don't do the wave and make the divas in the ring busting their asses look like chumps because the writers have given the matches in this revolution *zero* stakes.

There is a real issue with fans happily tanking angles and matches for people they like because they have zero patience to let an angle play out. People were excepting Sasha/Bayley quality matches on night one and every week thereafter, and since they didn't get it, they have no qualms shitting on the whole divas thing. Online and at the arenas.

dream

I went on a similar rant several months ago, and was told that I was wrong, that it's better to have an obnoxious crowd than a dead one.

Ithil

There is a real issue with fans happily tanking angles and matches for people they like because they have zero patience to let an angle play out. People were excepting Sasha/Bayley quality matches on night one and every week thereafter, and since they didn't get it, they have no qualms shitting on the whole divas thing. Online and at the arenas.

What angle?

KingBroly

Banned
I think Raw was pretty good for the most part

Highlights
- The first 40 minutes were damn near perfect
- Cena doing a heel-ish kinda tactic on Jon Stewart was fun
- Plastered Flair
- Sting
- No Kane
- Third Wyatt Member obviously ate Eric Rowan

Lowlights
- Heyman didn't go 3 hours
- Bo :(
- The Divas just continue to have nothing going on character-wise or motivation
- Another Big Show turn
- Kinda lost interest in the third hour

7.5/10

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I went on a similar rant several months ago, and was told that I was wrong, that it's better to have an obnoxious crowd than a dead one.

I dislike both of them, brother dream. There's one situation where an obnoxious crowd is better than a dead crowd; when the matches actually rule. Wrestlemania V has awesome matches ruined by a what would be at that time period considered a dead crowd.

Ithil

The angle of a few women coming up from NXT,wrestling long, athletic matches, and changing what women's wrestling means in WWE. I think some bitch brought them up or something.

What have they changed beyond the matches being slightly longer?
The angle can't just be "the women wrestle for a big longer". You need an angle that features longer matches. The story of any of those Takeover matches wasn't how the matches were longer, there was an actual story with the characters, and in the process the matches were longer and more important.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Meh

Paige shouldn't take it so personally. The angle sucks, the crowd is shitting on it. It's not complicated and it doesn't really have much to do with any of them as performers.

What have they changed beyond the matches being slightly longer?

"Slightly". They're getting 10-18 minute matches. The tag match at Summerslam was the third longest match of the night. Exposing what they can do in the ring is more important than character work right now. And when they actually got time to do character work, this thread shit all over it for being terrible. There is really no winning so I guess they should just scrap the whole angle and take all women off of Raw.

the Divas angle is garbage. They are in teams for no rhyme or reason and they are all forced to act like idiots. They dislike the other teams because "reasons" and because women naturally dislike each other. There is zero build up or reason to care about the matches anymore. The entire division feels like it's on hold because the WWE wants Nikki to break AJ's record.

dream

I dislike both of them, brother dream. There's one situation where an obnoxious crowd is better than a dead crowd; when the matches actually rule. Wrestlemania V has awesome matches ruined by a what would be at that time period considered a dead crowd.

I also do not like either ends of the spectrum. With the dead crowd, I sort of find myself wondering, "well, why the fuck did you pay $200 for tickets if you're dead set on not having any fun?" On the other hand, the super smarky "we are awesome" crowds are the absolute worst because they genuinely believe that they deserve to be part of the show.

the Divas angle is garbage. They are in teams for no rhyme or reason and they are all forced to act like idiots.

The only team that doesn't make sense is BAD, which seems put together based on skin color. Other than that, Fox was with the Bellas before the NXT women came up, and the face team...well, they're all faces and came from NXT, so that makes sense.

Which ones are acting like idiots? Becky? Because she said weird goofy shit in NXT, too.

Meh

Paige shouldn't take it so personally. The angle sucks, the crowd is shitting on it. It's not complicated and it doesn't really have much to do with any of them as performers.

Basiclly. that match was pretty boring live. Came back from,the merch stand and the crowd was doing the wave

The only team that doesn't make sense is BAD, which seems put together based on skin color. Other than that, Fox was with the Bellas before the NXT women came up, and the face team...well, they're all faces and came from NXT, so that makes sense.

Which ones are acting like idiots? Becky? Because she said weird goofy shit in NXT, too.

No I just mean they aren't able to really differentiate their characters because they are being forced to share screen time as teams. It's stupid. They are all acting like high school cliques.

Zabka

"Slightly". They're getting 10-18 minute matches. The tag match at Summerslam was the third longest match of the night. Exposing what they can do in the ring is more important than character work right now. And when they actually got time to do character work, this thread shit all over it for being terrible. There is really no winning so I guess they should just scrap the whole angle and take all women off of Raw.

It takes one match to show someone can wrestle. It's been bloody weeks of this stuff.

I know I've said this already here but the whole thing with the Miz was so poorly booked it boggles my mind. He brings them out, they shit talk each other, the Bellas come out, Miz shits on all of them and women's wrestling in general, the Bellas don't seem to mind, attack PCB and Miz walks away unscathed. Then they follow that with a match? It's fucking stupid.

KingBroly

Banned
None of them are standing out as individuals, either, nor are they trying to do that. It's all about the team effort, which is just shit. Where's it going? Nowhere. So why should I care about it?

Tonight's angle 100% should have led to a 3-way for the #1 Contendership at Night of Champions causing dissent and tension between the 3 members of PCB, but the Bellas just had to be involved and it went to shit.

Ithil

The problem is only four of the nine women involved are actually decent in the ring. Yet they have been in endless tag matches with zero stakes, and extreme repetition. These tag matches aren't showing anything notable in the ring, they're just boring.

Give Sasha and Becky a 12 minute match, and ignore all the team bullshit, and it would do far better.

No I just mean they aren't able to really differentiate their characters because they are being forced to share screen time as teams. It's stupid. They are all acting like high school cliques.

That's normally how stables work. The nWo had 80 dudes at one point, all with the same personality. DX...how was HHH any different than X-Pac? When NXT started their women's division, they went months with little to no character work and angle, to establish that women wrestling was a real thing on that show. Yet when the same thing is happening on Raw, people shit on it within a week for being terrible. It's pretty clear that absolutely nothing works 1:1 from NXT to Raw, so to not give Raw time to get people acclimated to long women's matches is silly and unfair to all involved.

For those that watched on tv. Did stardust come out and kill Barrett in like 30 seconds?

I have no clue what that was about,did the commentary say anything

Heroman

Banned
As someone who barely watches next this is what I know about the next divas, All I know about Charlotte is that she ric flair caught, Becky doesn't even have a character and Sasha is a boss of something . Making longer macthes means noting if they have no character.

That's normally how stables work. The nWo had 80 dudes at one point, all with the same personality. DX...how was HHH any different than X-Pac? When NXT started their women's division, they went months with little to no character work and angle, to establish that women wrestling was a real thing on that show. Yet when the same thing is happening on Raw, people shit on it within a week for being terrible. It's pretty clear that absolutely nothing works 1:1 from NXT to Raw, so to not give Raw time to get people acclimated to long women's matches is silly and unfair to all involved.

The NWO as a stable started with 3 guys with huge, individual personalities that shown through. They were also given storylines and motivations. What is the motivation for PCB? To end Nikki's reign as champ? How in the hell are they supposed to do that as a group? Why are they in a group? Shouldn't their competitive spirit make them want to wrestle each other?

The NWO as a stable started with 3 guys with huge, individual personalities that shown through. They were also given storylines and motivations. What is the motivation for PCB? To end Nikki's reign as champ? How in the hell are they supposed to do that as a group? Why are they in a group? Shouldn't their competitive spirit make them want to wrestle each other?

They're in a group because they are friends, ad all are trying to change the perceptions of women's wrestling in WWE. This is why Sasha was hugging Bayley after their match Saturday, because above all else, they're trying to change what it means to be women wrestler's in WWE. That's literally the angle. It's been spelled out every week for a month or two now.

Top Bottom