• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

August Wrasslin |OT| The Sunday of Summer

Everyone dumping on Big Show was great as well

tumblr_ntmab6TTGd1srbyoyo1_400.gif

Ryback seems to be struggling a bit on his end.

Oersted

tumblr_inline_ntmebaNDog1r7d5pf_540.jpg

MsXCKl6.png

Adding a few new members to roster and doing the same shit with them doesn't change a damn thing. The crowd shit on it because you're giving them shit. Fuckin' do something. Take the reaction as "okay we're not doing something right here" change it and figure it out. Basically just do what you're doing on NXT. Fucking TRY. It's so frustrating that they're crying about getting shit on. Boo hoo.

xKE5eDz.gif

Two words

NEEEW

DAAAYYY

Look where they were, look where they are

It isn't rocket science

Inventing opinions I don't have isn't making the Divas angle any better.

I bet the first thing he does is fire that bucky beaver fuck Kevin Dunn. I hear HHH and Stephanie both can't stand him (like everyone else in the world except Vince).

I mean once Vince croaks, I'm sure Kevin Dunn is out the door, so HHH can bring in his own teams.

Ask Jim Cornette. I think Cornette hates Dunn more than its possible to hate a guy.
The story with Dunn, is that his dad, in the 80s, was carrying a big load of TV tapings for WWF (I think like six weeks of shows) in his car transporting them, and his car caught fire for whatever reason. At great risk to his life, he got the tapes out of the car, had they burned it would have been a huge blow to the WWF's TV, which was feldging in those days.
Thus, Vince guaranteed his son (Kevin Dunn) a job for life. Dunn has been heading up TV production since the 90s at least.

The problem, is that Dunn has questionable opinions when it comes to producing wrestling, and towards wrestling in general. Jim Cornette nearly punched his lights out during a TV creative meeting in around 1997, which you can hear about on one of Cornette's shoots, a pretty funny story ("You know, Jim, I find you tiresome"). It seems like he somewhat looks down on wrestling in general and would rather be in the entertainment business. He seems to be the only one that shares Vince's warped sense of humour, also. A lot of the stupid stuff they do on TV (like showing the crowd during backstage segments) is his sort of thing, too. Exactly how competent he actually is as a TV producer is questionable, job for life aside.

Also, the most notable thing bout Dunn is his bucky beaver front teeth (Cornette's words, to Dunn's face), which he has for some reason never gotten fixed. He's actually kind of a ghost otherwise, he almost never appears on camera, only on the other side of it.

The official WWE Kevin Dunn Bucky Beaver Motherfucker© branded authentic False Teeth.

As to why they make them? Who knows? Kevin Dunn trying to play studio executive maybe.

Well done, Dunn. A planned out shot and you missed it.

No, Kevin Dunn hates Adam Rose, not Vince.

Is Kevin Dunn five years old?

It's more difficult to find people that DON'T hate Dunn.

On the main roster, you've got shit commentary that refuses to put over anything (and incoming Sum Ting Wong racism from Lawler), Vince not giving a shit about anyone that isn't handpicked, Dunn shitting on all of HHH's call-ups, etc. So that's when you get worried.

Vince is a major part of the problem, but Dunn is a major part of why Vince is a major part of the problem. They both need to go. Vince is just too old to be doing this, but Dunn is downright poisonous.

k. Kevin Dunn will have him buried so fast once he talks to Vince.

I would have to put a baseline of "no major interference from Vince or Kevin Dunn" which is of course a miracle. Basically no career derailing "let's test their loyalty" jobbing out or anything, just a fair use of their skills.

Nothing you say is going to convince me Kevin Dunn is the best man for the job.

One spot, Kevin Dunn. Catch one spot of the match on the cameras. I'll give you a free piece of wood for your dam.

How do you miss that shot? Just retire Dunn, go finish gathering sticks for that dam.

He sucks at his job, and he's widely regarded as a horrible person, especially in his treatment of women.

That's not going to happen til Dunn is crushed by his dam.

Weird. That's a lot of posts about Kevin Dunn, directly quoting Cornette and using his bucky beavy teeth joke repeatedly. The same Kevin Dunn that no one said shit about until that Cornette interview.

Ithil

Weird. That's a lot of posts about Kevin Dunn, directly quoting Cornette and using his bucky beavy teeth joke repeatedly. The same Kevin Dunn that no one said shit about until that Cornette interview.

Clearly thinking Dunn sucks at his job means I consider him the worst man in the world.

MsXCKl6.png

Adding a few new members to roster and doing the same shit with them doesn't change a damn thing. The crowd shit on it because you're giving them shit. Fuckin' do something. Take the reaction as "okay we're not doing something right here" change it and figure it out. Basically just do what you're doing on NXT. Fucking TRY. It's so frustrating that they're crying about getting shit on. Boo hoo.

xKE5eDz.gif
You don't understand how hard these girls work to give you shitty matches. Give them a break.

Alucard

Banned
Seth and Cena wrestling an ROH match @ Summerslam was kind of fun, but Cena kicking out of a superplex and falcon arrow combo was some bullshit.

Ithil

Why didn't you link to the posts so it doesn't seem like you made it all up?

Oh I'm sure I did insult Dunn a lot. But what that has to do with me not liking this Divas angle, or how it proves that Yoshi-Hashi here is correct about tag matches that aren't gettin over with anyone being the best way to get them over, I don't know.

Fuck anybody who was in that crowd or who supports that crowd re: the divas. That was a perfectly serviceable WWE six-man tag match, yet somehow, it merits being shit on, whereas the arguably far MORE boring eight-man match later in the show gets respectful quiet.

I don't think anyone will deny that the Miz TV segment was bad, but if you're not even going to give anything a SHOT, the dinosaurs in the back will continue to feel justified in shunting women's wrestling off to the side. I'm not saying you had to be hot, but this idea of "crowds entertaining themselves because the product is boring" is utterly passe, at this point. It was absolutely phenomenal at the Raw after WM29, but it's devolved into self-parody and has become self-defeating. At least give the performers the respect of not reacting, which is a far better and more consistent barometer of what is or is not working than being jackasses.

Seth and Cena wrestling an ROH match @ Summerslam was kind of fun, but Cena kicking out of a superplex and falcon arrow combo was some bullshit.

Nothing was more bullshit than Seth Rollins (aka Edge 2.0) doing triple dives and Phoenix Splashes as the top heel. He's booked as a chickenshit, cheating (even skittering) heel, yet can't get out of the mindset of wrestling in front of 55 people in Illinois.

Alucard

Banned
Nothing was more bullshit than Seth Rollins (aka Edge 2.0) doing triple dives and Phoenix Splashes as the top heel. He's booked as a chickenshit, cheating (even skittering) heel, yet can't get out of the mindset of wrestling in front of 55 people in Illinois.

This -could- work if he talks about himself as "an artist" in the ring; an auteur of his craft. But yeah, with his current character, it doesn't really add up.

Also, just saw this.

cdC0EIg.gif

Nicely done.

Ithil

What's sort of funny is the New Day are creating some renewed interest in the tag team division, and doing so organically just by being great and varied.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member

MsXCKl6.png

xKE5eDz.gif
The girls wanted a revolution and wanted to be treated just like the guys.

They got treated like Randy Orton and Sheamus tonight. So mission accomplished?

The whole Divas Revolution thing needs a reboot. They could be putting on the match of the decade out there on a technical level and it still wouldn't matter because the crowd doesn't buy into this storyline.

Mahonay

Banned
I haven't finished watching RAW yet but I just wanted to pop in and vent a little...

I just finished watching Team PCB vs Team Bellas, and I was absolutely in the right to give up last night on this whole Diva's Revolution storyline after seeing the match they presented to us at SummerSlam. Every thing about this feels wrong. I felt horrible for them tonight getting the same old crowd distraction chants that Divas got all the time before, but this horrible ass booking deserves to be shit on. Kevin Dunn or Stephanie, or whoever is putting this thing together is an absolute fuckwit. It's so fucking lazy and uninspired. It's as if they ran all of this through some kind of automatic Divas storyline generator and out plopped this vaguely familiar shit. To go from their incredible run in NXT to THIS. FUCK.
I'm not surprised WWE screwed this up in their typical fashion, I'm just painfully disappointed.

Neither Paige or Nikki get it.

It's amazing that they seem to think that anything they put out the past few weeks is worth respecting. Instead of blaming their writers, they blame the fans for daring to want something that was as good as what we saw Saturday, or daring to get behind someone who actually has a proper skillset and character.

The audience wants people to care about. No one in this shitty revolution is worth caring about, and the NXT Women are neutered from their characters from NXT. They have had zero build up outside of "They did something in NXT". The way they tried to give Becky a character tonight as the "crazy" one vs. Fox as the crazy one was so fucking stupid. Is this how she was in NXT? No. She respectably had matches. She respectably had a story about working hard and making it. On Raw?

"CYBORGS, ANIMALS, ALIENS!" Whoa, she's so crazy and weird! Seriously, what were they expecting the audience to do?

Taking it personal is the one thing they shouldn't be doing as performers. Whining about it is even worse. Especially because it has nothing to do with the fan's appreciation of the gender, but rather the obnoxious promise that they are revolutionizing something, when they week in and week out bore us to tears.

The gendered nature of this angle falls on WWE's shitty promise of revolutionizing their division that has been shit for a long time. The fan's response has to do with hating everything about how they are handling it. They cheered for Sasha because she's the only one that actually has done something that deserves attention. No one came off as likeable in that Miz segment. Yelling over each other week in and week out with the other divas and putting on some lame high school standoff is all we have come to see from this revolution.

Of course everyone cheered for Miz when he shut them up.

It's shit, and there is no reason to politely sit around and wait for it to be over. Not when they keep pandering that they are so revolutionary and expecting fans to eat up the "change"

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
Some of y'all need to take a break for a bit. I was away for while (missed the CM punk era) and I think this is a lot of fun right now. I know I'm new here, but I get the distinct impression that some of you will find a reason to be pissed regardless of the outcome of matches.

Mahonay

Banned
Neither Paige or Nikki get it.

It's amazing that they seem to think that anything they put out the past few weeks is worth respecting. Instead of blaming their writers, they blame the fans for daring to want something that was as good as what we saw Saturday, or daring to get behind someone who actually has a proper skillset and character.

The audience wants people to care about. No one in this shitty revolution is worth caring about, and the NXT Women are neutered from their characters from NXT. They have had zero build up outside of "They did something in NXT"

Taking it personal is the one thing they shouldn't be doing as performers. Whining about it is even worse. Especially because it has nothing to do with the fan's appreciation of the gender, but rather the obnoxious promise that they are revolutionizing something, when they week in and week out bore us to tears.

The gendered nature of this angle falls on WWE's shitty promise of revolutionizing their division that has been shit for a long time. The fan's response has to do with hating everything about how they are handling it. They cheered for Sasha because she's the only one that actually has done something that deserves attention. No one came off as likeable in that Miz segment. Yelling over each other week in and week out with the other divas and putting on some lame high school standoff is all we have come to see from this revolution. It's shit, and there is no reason to politely sit around and wait for it to be over. Not when they keep pandering that they are so revolutionary and expecting fans to eat up the "change"
Well put.

It was a shit match that was being called in front of the cameras with moves that didnt connect and with women who embodied the personities of rocks sitting at the bottom of an ocean. You fix that, you fix the crowd. A crowd which, by the way, has applauded great talent these past three nights, male or female.

Go back and watch that match again.

The crowd is reacting. There is nothing shocking or controversial about this. Were you pro this crowd when they applauded baylee/sasha?

I watched it just fine. It wasn't anything special, and was WAY too long, but it was no worse than any other TV six-man tag we get week in and week out. Again, the eight-man tag was just as bad, in its own way, but it didn't get nearly as much hate.

I'm not shaming the crowd for not being into the match. You're not into the match, don't react. That's what wrestling promoters understand. Being showoffy dickheads is just fucking disrespectful to the performers, and comes across horribly on television.

stro is a flawed man, but I thought his recent blog post on the rise of asshole smark crowds and the risk they pose to wrestling long-term was quite cogent.

Mahonay

Banned
Some of y'all need to take a break for a bit. I was away for while (missed the CM punk era) and I think this is a lot of fun right now. I know I'm new here, but I get the distinct impression that some of you will find a reason to be pissed regardless of the outcome of matches.
The stuff WWE is doing with the Divas Revolution is some shameful shit. I really don't care who won that match tonight. That's not the problem in the slightest.

Top Bottom