• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

August Wrasslin |OT| The Sunday of Summer

It's interesting how many people are putting the blame on the women themselves, as if they write their story lines and book their matches. The women get as much blame as the booking, which is pretty strange. Yet when Cesaro or KO are doing the job they are booked to do, it's someone trying to bury them.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
The stuff WWE is doing with the Divas Revolution is some shameful shit. I really don't care who won that match tonight. That's not the problem in the slightest.
I can agree with that. Sasha vs Bayley is one of the matches of the year. That was amazing. Problem is that I see people around here complaining that Sasha wasn't prominently
Shown during Summer Slam after she took some extraordinary bumps the night before. Especially that last move from the top rope. I thought she landed on her head.

I watched it just fine. It wasn't anything special, and was WAY too long, but it was no worse than any other TV six-man tag we get week in and week out. Again, the eight-man tag was just as bad, in its own way, but it didn't get nearly as much hate.

I'm not shaming the crowd for not being into the match. You're not into the match, don't react. That's what wrestling promoters understand. Being showoffy dickheads is just fucking disrespectful to the performers, and comes across horribly on television.

stro is a flawed man, but I thought his recent blog post on the rise of asshole smark crowds and the risk they pose to wrestling long-term was quite cogent.

That 8 man has a lot of characters that people are invested in.

Kevin Owens, Cesaro, legends like Orton who have earned their right to shine and do his trademark spots. Even guys like Ryback who have a dumb catchphrase and puts on shows of strength, but who surprisingly had one segment where he talked about his struggles and being positive.

Can you say the same for the women?

Mahonay

Banned
I've been out of the loop too. What is all this about exactly?
It's WWE attempting to show us that they are now taking Women's wrestling actually seriously/ They started this by giving the Divas much longer matches than they were previously getting, and even multiple matches in a night. Divas as legit wrestlers instead of pretty faces that cat fight.

Problem is, it's largely WWE trying to play off the success of the NXT Women's Division which has been one of the best things in all of wrestling this past year. Most of those woman have now been called up to the main roster and thrown into this Divas Revolution storyline. The storytelling is atrocious and nonsensical. All of the women that were called up in NXT are now having very boring matches, when before they were putting on show stoppers before being put onto the main show.

It's getting worse as they keep going with it. Tonight did not help.

I can agree with that. Sasha vs Bayley is one of the matches of the year. That was amazing. Problem is that I see people around here complaining that Sasha wasn't prominently
Shown during Summer Slam after she took some extraordinary bumps the night before. Especially that last move from the top rope. I thought she landed on her head.
Nah, that's not the problem. The entire booking of the Divas on RAW and the main PPVs is shit.

Ithil

It's interesting how many people are putting the blame on the women themselves, as if they write their story lines and book their matches. The women get as much blame as the booking, which is pretty strange. Yet when Cesaro or KO are doing the job they are booked to do, it's someone trying to bury them.

Enough with the "You're all misogynists" insinuations already.

It's WWE attempting to show us that they are now taking Women's wrestling actually seriously/ They started this by giving the Divas much longer matches than they were previously getting, and even multiple matches in a night. Divas as legit wrestlers instead of pretty faces that cat fight.

Problem is, it's largely WWE trying to play off the success of the NXT Women's Division which has been one of the best things in all of wrestling this past year. Most of those woman have now been called up to the main roster and thrown into this Divas Revolution storyline. The storytelling is atrocious and nonsensical. All of the women that were called up in NXT are now having very boring matches, when before they were putting on show stoppers before being put onto the main show.

It's getting worse as they keep going with it. Tonight did not help.

NXT women's matches were generally pretty bland until they got extra time on the specials. Rarely were you seeing blow away matches on the weekly show, but you'd get a great match at Takeover. In general 80% of matches on NXT are meaningless squashes, but the hour long format and "WWE only by association" stuff makes people think they're watching something revolutionary instead of a straight up 80s NWA studio show with modern indie guys.

Enough with the "You're all misogynists" insinuations already.

Weird you'd take it that way instead of the "indie guys are buried" way that I meant it. That's why I used Cesaro and KO as examples and not Rusev or Barrett.

Mahonay

Banned
guys have bad booking and so do the women. weren't we all wanting equality? There it is!
It's the whole Stephanie McMahon coming to the ring and saying she's starting a revolution in women's wrestling. The insincerity of it all is what I have a true problem with.

Par for course for WWE though, you're right.

I watched it just fine. It wasn't anything special, and was WAY too long, but it was no worse than any other TV six-man tag we get week in and week out. Again, the eight-man tag was just as bad, in its own way, but it didn't get nearly as much hate.

I'm not shaming the crowd for not being into the match. You're not into the match, don't react. That's what wrestling promoters understand. Being showoffy dickheads is just fucking disrespectful to the performers, and comes across horribly on television.

stro is a flawed man, but I thought his recent blog post on the rise of asshole smark crowds and the risk they pose to wrestling long-term was quite cogent.

I dunno, the crowd was clearly out of it halfway through the Miz segment and even the commentary team was talking about the crowd and the wave among other things. With a lot of the angles and even the Sasha/Bayley match (different commentary team albeit), they can usually fall back on their history and talk about why they're fighting and doing stuff, their history.

What do you expect Cole, Byron and of all people JBL to talk about for a 20+ minute Divas segment/match where its just the same stuff. Just talking about having a revolution and then yet ANOTHER Diva's tag match. There is damn near NOTHING to talk about during these matches. I don't CARE about these people in this match. Even when they get on the mic it's typical dumb "catty" shit.

Up till I saw Paige and the others crying about the reaction they got, I was moreso just irritated that they weren't doing anything different. But this just pissed me off as that they think what they HAVE been doing was deserving of ANY sort of pat on the back or praise in general. Because it's not.

Start doing tighter solo stuff. Hell, break all the teams up and do a tournament to face Nikki at Night of Champions or something. Have more than one women's match a night instead of cramming them all into one big tag match. Multiple segments.

The reaction they all got when Steph called everyone out and kickstarted this was AMAZING. It was probably the best crowd reaction I've seen for something Divas related till Sasha/Bayley. Because it was POTENTIALLY what we have all been asking for. But it hasn't been. We were promised something and they haven't delivered and the crowd let them know that.

Mahonay

Banned
NXT women's matches were generally pretty bland until they got extra time on the specials. Rarely were you seeing blow away matches on the weekly show, but you'd get a great match at Takeover. In general 80% of matches on NXT are meaningless squashes, but the hour long format and "WWE only by association" stuff makes people think they're watching something revolutionary instead of a straight up 80s NWA studio show with modern indie guys.
Well they've already had two WWE PPV matches with this and it's not even in the same ball park of what they had going in NXT.

And NXT absolutely does have longer format matches, but usually only one out of the hour long show. There were some fantastic matches that weren't on the NXT specials.

Aiii

So not worth it
That 8 man has a lot of characters that people are invested in.

Kevin Owens, Cesaro, legends like Orton who have earned their right to shine. Guys like Ryback who have a dumb catchphrase and puts on shows of strength.

Can you say the same for the women?

The big problem remains they get to show zero personality through storylines. They are all pretty much the same character during matches and the only distinctive features are the way they look, their theme songs/entrance movements and a few signature spots. But that's not enough.

Let's try a little game: please, without describing what they look like, their theme song/entrance or what they wear, describe the difference between the person Paige and Becky Lynch?

Or Alicia Fox and Naomi.

Or Nikki Bella and Sasha Banks.

Now if you include the character building on TD or NXT, this gets a little easier, but please note that neither of these two shows are canon in the WWE Raw Universe.

The big problem remains they get to show zero personality through storylines. They are all pretty much the same character during matches and the only distinctive features are the way they look, their theme songs/entrance movements and a few signature spots. But that's not enough.

Let's try a little game: please, without describing what they look like, their theme song/entrance or what they wear, describe the difference between the person Paige and Becky Lynch?

Or Alicia Fox and Naomi.

Or Nikki Bella and Sasha Banks.

Now if you include the character building on TD or NXT, this gets a little easier, but please note that neither of these two shows are canon in the WWE Raw Universe.

Paige is the anti diva tomboyish girl who headbutts people. Becky is a weirdo who says random shit. Naomi has a crazy ego and is insanely athletic. Alicia is a follower of the Bellas who gets crazy from time to time. Nikki is a dominate champion who is stronger than all the other divas around her and will elbow your face off. Sasha is a vicious prick who talks a ton of shit and backs it up in the ring. You could do this same thing for almost the entire roster. The women have as much character as anyone that isn't New Day or in the main event.

Mahonay

Banned

Or Alicia Fox and Naomi.

Or Nikki Bella and Sachs Banks.

This is the stuff I'm getting at as well.

WWE has given them ring time but nearly zero character development. No one cares because why should they? When they don't know why anyone is fighting and what anyone's motivations are. It's an extremely lackluster effort on all fronts.

This is the stuff I'm getting at as well.

WWE has given them ring time but nearly zero character development. No one cares because why should they? When they don't know why anyone is fighting and what anyone's motivations are. It's an extremely lackluster effort on all fronts.

They literally had like a full half hour devoted to talking and a match tonight. Did you not watch at all? Everyone shit on it because it wasn't what they expected.

Mahonay

Banned
They literally had like a full half hour devoted to talking and a match tonight. Did you not watch at all? Everyone shit on it because it wasn't what they expected.
I just finished watching that match as I catch up to RAW and came in here to vent.

If you think that Miz TV segment and follwing match were passable than you're entitled to think that.

Coming off of last night, then to tonight, shit just seems like it's already in the can.

I can agree with that. NXT has made them headliners. I have no clue why they're getting screwed one they make the jump.
Something something, Kevin Dunn bucky tooth bastard.

lupin23rd

Thought maybe Steph was going to come out and offer a title shot from her interview comments at Summerslam.

Was hoping Becky was going to reply to the "9 years" thing by saying she didn't think she's seen Fox 9 times in those 9 years.

Don't know what people think of tournaments like the King of the Ring but you've got 9 girls in these teams - 8 contenders and one champion. Sounds like a good setup for a number one contenders tournament to me...

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I can agree with that. NXT has made them headliners. I have no clue why they're getting screwed one they make the jump.
The biggest problem you guys are having is the disconnect between NXT and the main roster.

They have different writers and a way different demographic.

I just finished watching that match as I catch up to RAW and came in here to vent.

If you think that Miz TV segment and follwing match were passable than you're entitled to think that.

Coming off of last night, then to tonight, shit just seems like it's already in the can.

Something something, Kevin Dunn bucky tooth bastard.

Lol.

I thought the women's match was fine tonight, and the tag at Summerslam was probably the second or third best show of the night. All of the matches since they've come up are solid. This thread went nuts for a Cesaro/Owens match with absolutely zero stakes. Multiple times. Including at Summerslam. Cesaro has even less of a character than all the women. His character is literally, "he wrestles". Yet people flip their wigs for that cat having meaningless matches every week and never blame it on him when his matches don't go anywhere.

Only problem I have with the Divas matches is all the tag matches. I wanna see more 1 on 1s. Even if its meaningless stories, at least let them show their talent without having to tag out every minute or get beat up for 5 minutes straight until they can make the hot tag.

And yeah, I do wanna see more Sasha. Though after seeing her match a couple hours ago, I can see how she might have gotten hurt which would explain the early exit in Summer Slam and the no show tonight.

Mahonay

Banned
Lol.

I thought the women's match was fine tonight, and the tag at Summerslam was probably the second or third best show of the night. All of the matches since they've come up are solid. This thread went nuts for a Cesaro/Owens match with absolutely zero stakes. Multiple times. Including at Summerslam. Cesaro has even less of a character than all the women. His character is literally, "he wrestles". Yet people flip their wigs for that cat having meaningless matches every week and never blame it on him when his matches don't go anywhere.
Owens vs Cesaro did nothing for me personally. Here's what I said about it last night.
the Owens vs Cesaro match last night should be the greatest thing for me, but instead I was just passively enjoying the match, looking for the cool spots and then just kind of going "meh" when I see another in a long line of lackluster or bad finishes.

Meanwhile on Saturday night I was literally jumping out of my seat and holding back tears of joy because of what was unfolding at Takeover.

The gap between the two continues to grow as NXT improves and main WWE is still booked in a pretty insulting manner for anyone with just a little bit of a intelligence.

2icc9Hh.png

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
The biggest problem you guys are having is the disconnect between NXT and the main roster.

They have different writers and a way different demographic.
That is an extreme oversimplification. When Becky enters the ring in NXT compared to when she enters the ring in the WWE are completely two separate beasts. No amount of writing will fix that in the short term.

KissVibes

Banned

Do you just enjoy talking in circles or do you not get it? People shit on what is going on, because it is shit. It is bad. Saturday had an INCREDIBLE womens match following a fantastic build up and storyline....on the developmental show.

You then look at the major show (which should be BETTER than developmental) and it is absolute garbage. You can make the case that the story needs time to develop, but four of the six women out there tonight on RAW haven't developed or grown (in ability, promo, or character) for months and the other two are bad versions of the character they had in NXT.

So what is to be cheered here? What should people be enjoying? It was fucking garbage and people paying money to see all this shit reacted in kind. I guarantee you a majority of those that were there at RAW are the same people that screamed and cheered at the Bailey and Sasha match on Saturday.

Paige and the Bellas can't handle getting booed? Take it to the people writing for them and booking the show. Deathmatch indie feds on YouTube respect and book women better than WWE. They can take it to the mirror too, since the three of them can barely cut a promo; Regardless of the material they've been given and their experience.

The one thing John Cena says every week that is absolutely dead on is that people pay money for this and should have their voice. Sorry you don't like what people shelling out hundreds of dollars for seats have to say about the product.

Lol.

WWE isn't pushing Cesaro and Owens feud as the "Revolution" of the mens wrestling division. Can you really not understand the difference or are you just looking for any reason to argue with people?

Mahonay

Banned
That is an extreme oversimplification. When Becky enters the ring in NXT compared to when she enters the ring in the WWE are completely two separate beasts. No amount of writing will fix that in the short term.
You can definitely tell Becky is not comfortable on the main show in front of huge crowds, but competent writing would help greatly. WWE has a real habit of throwing new talent into the deep end with a 50 pound bag of shit tied around their ankle. It doesn't help anyone and it's caused a lot of exceptional talent that should have thrived to simply whither away. I feel bad for the NXT girls to be honest.

Owens vs Cesaro did nothing for me personally. Here's what I said about it last night.

You weren't blaming the booking on the wrestlers, though, which is what a lot of people are doing with the divas revolution stuff. The women are being held to a different standard from day one. There are posts in this very community a week after the NXT women got called up that were saying the whole angle was a bust, could never work, and shit about Kevin Dunn.

The Divas don't need to worry about last night because tonight the future begins as Sara Lee signs a WWE developmental contract and begins the real Divas Revolution

Mahonay

Banned
You weren't blaming the booking on the wrestlers, though, which is what a lot of people are doing with the divas revolution stuff. The women are being held to a different standard from day one. There are posts in this very community a week after the NXT women got called up that were saying the whole angle was a bust, could never work, and shit about Kevin Dunn.
WWE likes to book some of their matches pretty tightly, and most of these matches have that stench. From the outside it looks like there's not a lot of room for them to really put on a great match.

The storytelling from the very start, with these 3 "teams", was awful.

It's certainly NOT the talent, I am not blaming them, and honestly I don't think anyone here blames them either?

Actually what the fuck? You've lost me.

EDIT: Ok I get what you're getting at. We're expecting maybe too much out of the women's division than compared to what we get out of the men's division. I have to disagree strongly.

Oh, and I will NEVER stop shitting on Kevin Dunn ever as long as he's employed. The product suffers greatly because of him.

Paige is a boring character. The crowd last week was chanting for Lesnar in another one of their dull tag team matches. They did have shit lines. But the fact is they executed them badly. Even their backstage promos have been bad.

They should quit moaning. New day were getting shit on earlier this year and now they the most over team. I didn't see them moan.

At some point the women have to stand up for themselves when it comes to the storylines and booking especially if they want real change. Its bs to put them on teams for no reason especially when their is only one diva's title. Nikki has not defended her championship in months its awful. Ryback got staph infection was gone for awhile came back and still has defended his title more than Nikki has in that same time period. A good way to build up the diva's division is to make the title mean something like the nxt women's championship. Right now Nikki's championship reign means about as much as Dean Ambrose 351 days as US champion where he barely defended it.

Paige is a boring character. The crowd last week was chanting for Lesnar in another one of their dull tag team matches. They did have shit lines. But the fact is they executed them badly. Even their backstage promos have been bad.

They should quit moaning. New day were getting shit on earlier this year and now they the most over team. I didn't see them moan.

h1r7q.gif

Mr. Mahoney, when did you develop these feelings for Kevin Dunn? Was it before or after the Jim Cornette promo turned into a meme?

NXT started in August 2012. They women didn't get a title until April of 2013. And all of their characters and storylines were "We're wrestlers". That's it. Everyone loved it. They're doing the same thing on Raw, reeducating the audience in the same manner, and everyone shits on it. Are we pretending that the NXT crowd AND the women didn't need time to adjust and get acclimated and reeducated on what women's wrestling was?

It seems ridiculous that the women aren't given the same leeway and time on the main roster. Just because you watch NXT doesn't mean the majority of people going to and watching Raw know the women or that women can actually wrestle. Which is the whole point of the revolution. They're showing and reeducating fans on how women's wrestling can be and should be perceived. That's not an overnight thing. It took NXT 8 months, with the same group of fans in the same building every week.

People were expecting the revolution to be this instantaneous thing where Charlotte and Sasha were co-maining a PPV a week in or some shit. Since that didn't happen, the whole thing sucked from day one, Steph is terrible, Kevin Dunn will ruin it all anyway, etc etc. It's a lot of nonsense talk from fans with no patience.

At some point the women have to stand up for themselves when it comes to the storylines and booking especially if they want real change. Its bs to put them on teams for no reason especially when their is only one diva's title. Nikki has not defended her championship in months its awful. Ryback got staph infection was gone for awhile came back and still has defended his title more than Nikki has in that same time period. A good way to build up the diva's division is to make the title mean something like the nxt women's championship. Right now Nikki's championship reign means about as much as Dean Ambrose 351 days as US champion where he barely defended it.

Nikki has also been working with an injury for months, and as soon as she healed from one, she got hurt again and kept working. Sasha got hurt Saturday and while people were bummed she didn't do much at Summerslam or anything at Raw, no one was shitting on her for it. Nikki has been working with a cracked bone in her leg since like last October or November. Plus a shoulder injury.

People are SO quick to shit on Steph, the philanthropy quote she didn't even say, and #givedivasachance, but literally won't give the divas a week before they declared the angle dead and terrible. How about you give it a few months. New Day took a couple months of floundering before they got incredible.

Mahonay

Banned

Paige has been lackluster this past year for sure.

But you can't ignore the immediate difference between Becky/Charlotte/Sasha in NXT and now in the main roster. Saying that they just need to "nut up", for lack of a better word, is kind of crappy.

New Day definitely did turn shit into absolute gold. But that is also one of many men's storylines. There is one singular storyline for all women wrestlers, and it's not as easy for them to call and audible as talent to try and change the course. I don't think it's really comparable given the circumstance.

Thanks for being immensely condescending to me.

I appreciate you making a detailed argument. Gonna have to agree to disagree for now.

It's an honest question, because I legitimately don't remember people saying a single thing online about Kevin Dunn until that interview, but since then, everyone has hated him and has always hated him. In fact, the earliest mentions of Dunn on GAF (2005-2006) are all positive to neutral, with weird shit like saying he's the head booker.

Nikki has also been working with an injury for months, and as soon as she healed from one, she got hurt again and kept working. Sasha got hurt Saturday and while people were bummed she didn't do much at Summerslam or anything at Raw, no one was shitting on her for it. Nikki has been working with a cracked bone in her leg since like last October or November. Plus a shoulder injury.

She should drop the title and heal up and comeback and try to win the title back by working injured shes dragging the division down she is literally holding back the other women. The women do not have the luxury of their being tag titles or mid card titles to feud over their is only one women's title and by her working injured and not defending the belt shes holding back the division and the other women. She may think shes doing the right thing by working injured but its selfish and hurting the division especially if shes not able to defend her title.

She should drop the title and heal up and comeback and try to win the title back by working injured shes dragging the division down she is literally holding back the other women. The women do not have the luxury of their being tag titles or mid card titles to feud over their is only one women's title and by her working injured and not defending the belt shes holding back the division and the other women. She may think shes doing the right thing by working injured but its selfish and hurting the division especially if shes not able to defend her title.

Nikki isn't holding back shit. You know she doesn't even get to decide if she wrestles, right?

Mahonay

Banned
It's an honest question, because I legitimately don't remember people saying a single thing online about Kevin Dunn until that interview, but since then, everyone has hated him and has always hated him.
Honestly I don't know where to start. I want to finish watching RAW finally since it's an insane hour of the night here. Maybe tomorrow I can work on my ode to "fuck Kevin Dunn" and post it here.

My hate for him is certainly not blind and definitely not because of something crazy ass Jim Cornette said.

She should drop the title and heal up and comeback and try to win the title back by working injured shes dragging the division down she is literally holding back the other women. The women do not have the luxury of their being tag titles or mid card titles to feud over their is only one women's title and by her working injured and not defending the belt shes holding back the division and the other women. She may think shes doing the right thing by working injured but, its selfish and hurting the division especially if shes not able to defend her title.

Do you really think it is her call when or if she drops the title? I guess Ryback was holding everyone back by not dropping the IC title while out a month, and Bryan was holding everyone back for not vacating the title for over a month while champion. Twice. For all you know, she's requested to drop it multiple times and they've told her no.

Nikki isn't holding back shit. You know she doesn't even get to decide if she wrestles, right?

why the f are you jumping on me I said if she is injured she should drop the title. If she is injured she is holding the division back by not defending the belt right. That is what the poster was insinuating that she was not defending the belt because she was injured.

Browny

Banned
I'd like to take the opportunity to thank JBL for letting me know, not once, not twice, but three times in one minute that the Dudley Boys are the most decorated tag team in WWE history.

Fuck's sake.

Do you really think it is her call when or if she drops the title? I guess Ryback was holding everyone back by not dropping the IC title while out a month, and Bryan was holding everyone back for not vacating the title for over a month while champion. Twice. For all you know, she's requested to drop it multiple times and they've told her no.

Yeah I am gonna believe Nikki bella requested to drop the belt ok. Yes I know its not her call to drop the belt. Like seriously your reading whatever you want in to what I am writing instead of actually reading what I am writing.

why the f are you jumping on me I said if she is injured she should drop the title. If she is injured she is holding the division back by not defending the belt right. That is what the poster was insinuating that she was not defending the belt because she was injured.

I find your premise that she's holding back the other women to be false. Not every story needs to revolve around the title. Furthermore, it is important that AJ's record is broken specifically by Nikki. She's proving to be a real "worker," as they say, by doing this all through injuries.

Goddamn that segment and match, just pissed me off. Of course "Team Bella" would win, they lost last night.

Five hours, five fucking hours a week and really this "Divas Revolution" just throws a spot light on how absolute shit the fucking idiots running Raw/Smackdown are in building up characters. It's not just the women and the whole mean girls shit, it's most of the roster, it's the garbage booking and the 50/50 win/loss trading horse shit that does no favors to anyone who doesn't give a 70 year old man and his bucktooth minion who's only employed because of Vince's daddy get a certain tingly feeling and the fucking hacks who can't cut it in Hollywood who write this shit. Five hours of TV a week between Raw/Smackdown, there's absolutely no reason with that much TV time that should be happening.

We always give Russo shit (much deserved) but at least Russo actively tried to give everyone on TV a personality that made them different from everyone else on the roster.

It's too damn late to be this pissed off and frustrated.

Yeah I am gonna believe Nikki bella requested to drop the belt ok. Yes I know its not her call to drop the belt. Like seriously your reading whatever you want in to what I am writing instead of actually reading what I am writing.

Well your post implies that she's not dropping the title. Why wouldn't she request to drop the title? Is there something about Nikki Bella that would prevent her from saying, "I'm hurt, please let me drop the title to X"? Is the concept of her being told "No, we need you to keep the title, but we'll put you in tags" something that could never apply to Nikki? Because that's happened a ton of times over the years for most titles in most promotions.

Mahonay

Banned
So back to making my way through RAW.

Cena has been awesome lately, his confrontation with John Stewart tonight was really good. Made total sense which is a shocker considering it's the WWE. His character continues to be a little more bearable little by little. All started with the John Cena United States 5 star indie match tour: "Is This What You Fucking Wanted?"

Top Bottom