• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

August Wrasslin |OT| The Sunday of Summer

Stunning Steve Alert

Steve Austin was revealed as the Showcase (story mode of the game), and it covers his career from WCW to ECW to WWF/E. The opening video was impressive (we could not hear it though), showing some major happenings in Austin’s career like the Hollywood Blondes with Brian Pillman and the strap match with Savio Vega. I don’t know if that confirms these wrestlers in the game, but it did make me assume they are in the final product.

I got to play one match of the mode, it obviously was in the WWF portion of his career as it was the King of the Ring finals match against Jake “The Snake” Roberts (also confirming him in the game). A very cool touch was that Jake came out clutching his side (he had his snake and all), and we got a look back from earlier tonight showing Vader crushing Jake in the corner causing the injury. It was a real motion video and really wowed me when it happened. The screen grain was also present as it was in former games to add to the authenticity.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
And yeah, the crowd shat on the diva's match because it's the same old shit with new faces.

A revolution is not "Throw all the divas on the main roster together in a 6-12 man tag match that lasts 5-10 minutes!"

The "falling right on its face" Divas Revolution is why (in hindsight) I really wish Sasha Banks vs Bayley would have gone on last at Takeover Brooklyn. That way an NXT event would have ended with a women's match that would have torn the house down and went on longer than Balor vs Owens - which would have really made SummerSlams overbooked nonsense look even worse.

I get why they played in safe since it was the biggest NXT show ever and we are still early days with fixing the WWEs issues with women but now? I would be shocked if a Womens Title match didnt close the next NXT Takeover special and the failings of the divas revolution are putting a fire under the crew at NXT to make a bigger, longer lasting statement with their handling of their Women's Division.

I guess it will depend on how the fill the gap now that 3 of their staples have moved on. How well the new people take to it.

Bronx-Man

Banned
The audience wants people to care about. No one in this shitty revolution is worth caring about, and the NXT Women are neutered from their characters from NXT. They have had zero build up outside of "They did something in NXT". The way they tried to give Becky a character tonight as the "crazy" one vs. Fox as the crazy one was so fucking stupid. Is this how she was in NXT? No. She respectably had matches. She respectably had a story about working hard and making it. On Raw?

"CYBORGS, ANIMALS, ALIENS!" Whoa, she's so crazy and weird! Seriously, what were they expecting the audience to do?
The "Divas Revolution (brought to you by Stephanie McMahon)" is a bust, but that's the most personality Becky's shown since she got to WWE.

imBask

Banned
by the way, it was a pretty good RAW last night. The divas segment was TERRIBLE and the 8 man tag match was bad, but other than that, MOST of it was really really good

Some of the problem is, nXt crowds and WWE crowds are different. Vince apparently thinks they are one big joint crowd, but I highly doubt the Cena kids/parents and douchebag frat guys watch nXt.

Therefore, all of them are like "who are these new girls? why should we care?" I remember how I was when Paige debuted and I hadn't watched any nXt at that time. I had heard about her, but for about the first six months, she was incredibly boring and they gave her no character, so it was always like "oh, it's Paige, cool'.

They need to drop the whole groups, as it's really hurting Charlotte, Sasha, and Becky from getting over as individuals. As soon last night during the match and when Charlotte was getting worked on for the majority of the match, a spot that should be garnering sympathy for the crowd, instead it fell flat because the crowd has no emotional attachment to Charlotte because she's just there. They should have had Paige getting worked over since the crowd at least has a connection to her, and made the hot tag to Charlotte or Becky to let them show their stuff.

The nXt crowd has also been conditioned over the last year or two to respect the women and not just google them like pieces of meat like the WWE has the last 20 years, save for a few moments (Trish's run when she started wrestling). The atmosphere at the beginning of Sasha/Bayley might have been up there with the biggest matches of the WWE this year, as the crowd was electric. By the end, I'm not sure how many matches in the last ten years have had a crowd in the palm of their hand like that.

I don't think Vince has any patience to slowly re-condition his crowd, and eventually he's going to say "I TOLD YOU THIS WOULDN'T WORK!" I mean, the crowd pops more for Summer/Lana catfighting more than anything else.

I don't think that Brooklyn crowd last night was that different from an NXT crowd. I get that in some markets you are getting a very different audience but I think Brooklyn knows their wrestling enough. They're just frustrated like we are.

Bronx-Man

Banned
Speaking of 2K16, I wanna be able to make an elimination chamber involving Sting, Liger, Samoa Joe, Jon Stewart, the Arrow, and the T-1000 or no buy.

klonere

Banned
Seth went from being an incredible babyface performer in the PPV match back to a glorious cowardly, obnoxious, arrogant and delusional heel by the end of Raw.

#RollinsEra

RP912

Banned
Xavier Woods is living the dream.

FtQIsOv.jpg

Only Woods would take a 3d through a table and be ecstatic about it. I love these dudes.

That was the first RAW I watched in around a year. It was pretty fun. I still skipped most of the matches though.

I noticed something about Stang tho. His facepaint was already coming off when they revealed him. Was it really hot under the curtain?

Guzim

That was the first RAW I watched in around a year. It was pretty fun. I still skipped most of the matches though.

I noticed something about Stang tho. His facepaint was already coming off when they revealed him. Was it really hot under the curtain?
Probably hot, and he was in the curtain for 20+ minutes.

Ithil

NXT women's matches were generally pretty bland until they got extra time on the specials. Rarely were you seeing blow away matches on the weekly show, but you'd get a great match at Takeover. In general 80% of matches on NXT are meaningless squashes, but the hour long format and "WWE only by association" stuff makes people think they're watching something revolutionary instead of a straight up 80s NWA studio show with modern indie guys.

Weird you'd take it that way instead of the "indie guys are buried" way that I meant it. That's why I used Cesaro and KO as examples and not Rusev or Barrett.

Yes, I can't imagine why I would take it that way. It's not like you claimed I had a "clear and caustic bias against women" or anything.

¡HarlequinPanic!;176475700 said:
becky going on with the cyborgs, aliens, etc was cute but that typical everyone talking over each other WWE promo was killing it.

Yeah. I loved that bit. There's definitely a whole character there they can work with.

They need to work on Paige's character. I'm not sure who she's supposed to be. I know she wants to be more like Stone Cold but she's far from it right now. They can fix that and just let her open up.

A lot of the Diva's come off so heavily scripted. Becky's little bit was the only decent part.

Also, it's a revolution that needs an authority figure to revolt against.

klonere

Banned
Then again, absolutely no one on the main roster gets any character development unless they get it by accident.

reminder that New Day's character development was thanks to a Raw after Mania crowd and was not a concerted effort behind the scenes to change them.

I really hope they surprise us in 2K16 and get Owen Hart in the game. He was such a huge part in Austins career, like you can't have an Austin showcase mode and not include Owen.

Was it Austin who faced Savio Vega at an In Your House event when ECW invaded and the Sandman spit beer in Savios face? So maybe Sandman, Dreamer and Raven are in.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
How you gonna give the man the best entrance and have him LOSE?

Wrestling doesn't work that way, pal

Some of y'all need to take a break for a bit. I was away for while (missed the CM punk era) and I think this is a lot of fun right now. I know I'm new here, but I get the distinct impression that some of you will find a reason to be pissed regardless of the outcome of matches.

Welcome to WrassleGAF! And you're right.

I watched it just fine. It wasn't anything special, and was WAY too long, but it was no worse than any other TV six-man tag we get week in and week out. Again, the eight-man tag was just as bad, in its own way, but it didn't get nearly as much hate.

I'm not shaming the crowd for not being into the match. You're not into the match, don't react. That's what wrestling promoters understand. Being showoffy dickheads is just fucking disrespectful to the performers, and comes across horribly on television.

stro is a flawed man, but I thought his recent blog post on the rise of asshole smark crowds and the risk they pose to wrestling long-term was quite cogent.

I agree totally and like Mahonay conveys (but disagrees with) at the end of this post. Held to a different standard.

It's interesting how many people are putting the blame on the women themselves, as if they write their story lines and book their matches. The women get as much blame as the booking, which is pretty strange. Yet when Cesaro or KO are doing the job they are booked to do, it's someone trying to bury them.

Ding-a-ling, correct. Held to a different standard.

I can agree with that. Sasha vs Bayley is one of the matches of the year. That was amazing. Problem is that I see people around here complaining that Sasha wasn't prominently
Shown during Summer Slam after she took some extraordinary bumps the night before. Especially that last move from the top rope. I thought she landed on her head.

She worked hard, put on a career defining match, and she's given no time to breathe, or even soak up what she did on Takeover. It's like all of what she did is nothing.

guys have bad booking and so do the women. weren't we all wanting equality? There it is!

That's not how it works. Women are being challenged harder than the men, and are given FAR less leeway.

Enough with the "You're all misogynists" insinuations already.

This is what it is, though. It's latent, it's embedded in wrestling culture and institutionalized. It comes out in discussions like this, whether we're recognizing that yes we're holding all women to different standards than men, or not.

And it's fine if you don't recognize that you're a part of it. That's why the institutionalized sexism is such a problem - because GOOD people do it and don't see that it's bad. Good people can do bad things. It just takes listening and opening up your ears and understanding why certain people have a real problem and why it's a problem.

I don't think everyone here is a misogynist. I think wrestling is steeped in it, though, and history definitely supports it. We as a group have to say to ourselves "Okay, why is it most people feel this way?" and deconstruct it, and then realize what we should do to make it better. Why are Nikki Bella's matches not held to the same standard as Big Show's? And then figure out why, and what we're doing wrong, as people.

Thought maybe Steph was going to come out and offer a title shot from her interview comments at Summerslam.

Was hoping Becky was going to reply to the "9 years" thing by saying she didn't think she's seen Fox 9 times in those 9 years.

Don't know what people think of tournaments like the King of the Ring but you've got 9 girls in these teams - 8 contenders and one champion. Sounds like a good setup for a number one contenders tournament to me...

That'd be awesome. I can dream!

heh heh heh

You weren't blaming the booking on the wrestlers, though, which is what a lot of people are doing with the divas revolution stuff. The women are being held to a different standard from day one. There are posts in this very community a week after the NXT women got called up that were saying the whole angle was a bust, could never work, and shit about Kevin Dunn.

EDIT: Ok I get what you're getting at. We're expecting maybe too much out of the women's division than compared to what we get out of the men's division. I have to disagree strongly.

I think it's latent and is an underlying current that's hard to identify. Everyone is expecting the women to show up and change EVERYTHING on day one, or even month one - when nobody can. Therefore, they're set up to fail. We gotta change that line of thinking. And some people are using this "failure" of the Divas Revolution to say some shitty stuff about people just because they're women.

Did Peepz grace us with a stillshot gallery? I wanna see these Nikki Shorts.

imBask

Banned
I really hope they surprise us in 2K16 and get Owen Hart in the game. He was such a huge part in Austins career, like you can't have an Austin showcase mode and not include Owen.

Was it Austin who faced Savio Vega at an In Your House event when ECW invaded and the Sandman spit beer in Savios face? So maybe Sandman, Dreamer and Raven are in.

I really hope they surprise us in 2K16 and make a game that is somewhat playable

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
PLEASE!!! My boy would be so awesome giving the End of Days to the Wyatt family!

B7Ca45q.gif

It's the perfect scenario. He can continue to learn how to wrestle better while hiding his inadequacies, except for the hairline.

thefro

That talent is there but the booking is good awful. It's hardly a Diva's revolution when it's obvious the WWE is scared to use devote time to multiple stories and instead opts to continue dumping them all in to a single three team feud.

Like I said last night, turn Charlotte heel on her fellow team members. Have her beat the ever loving shit out of Becky in the middle of the ring. She has good motivation for wanting to get out of her father's shadow on Raw, especially since it keeps getting brought up.

They need to blow that shit up into something watchable.

I think getting to Sasha and Charlotte as heels v.s. Becky/Paige would probably be their best bet, but there's a few things that have to happen first with Nikki dropping the belt, Sasha dumping Team BAD like a bunch of jobbers, and Charlotte turning on Paige/Becky to go with Sasha.

Short-term I think the tourney idea would have been the best, but I don't think they're going to do that one now.

There was a LOT of blaming the women in this thread during the show, but I don't think I saw ANYONE arguing with tacos who was blaming the workers.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
There was a LOT of blaming the women in this thread during the show, but I don't think I saw ANYONE arguing with tacos who was blaming the workers.

We have a strange group of folks who only show up whenever Raw is on live, and never see until the next one. They're a weird crew.

Just got a phone call and guess who got a new job!

It aint anything special but its a step up from my current hell hole.

tumblr_ntk7gjTrKK1rdx8ebo1_540.gif

NEW JOB!

NEW JOB!

New JOOOOOOOOB

Ithil

This is what it is, though. It's latent, it's embedded in wrestling culture and institutionalized. It comes out in discussions like this, whether we're recognizing that yes we're holding all women to different standards than men, or not.

And it's fine if you don't recognize that you're a part of it. That's why the institutionalized sexism is such a problem - because GOOD people do it and don't see that it's bad. Good people can do bad things. It just takes listening and opening up your ears and understanding why certain people have a real problem and why it's a problem.

I don't think everyone here is a misogynist. I think wrestling is steeped in it, though, and history definitely supports it. We as a group have to say to ourselves "Okay, why is it most people feel this way?" and deconstruct it, and then realize what we should do to make it better. Why are Nikki Bella's matches not held to the same standard as Big Show's? And then figure out why, and what we're doing wrong, as people.

Did Peepz grace us with a stillshot gallery? I wanna see these Nikki Shorts.

Slight contrast, but I don't hold the Divas to some special "women's" standard. That's why I don't like the Bellas, I think they're painfully mediocre in the ring and aurally painful on promos, even though they're promoted as the top stars.
Not because I "hate women", but because they're black holes of entertainment to me. People keep telling me "but they're better than before", sure, they are. But they're still bad, because they were ridiculously awful before.

I've seen women's matches as good as any of the males' in WWE, work wise, and I've seen a lot of them. So I don't believe in this patronizing "well it's good, for a woman's match" view. The recent Bayley/Sasha and Becky/Sasha matches at Takeover shows weren't good "for women", they were just plain good. And how they got to that stage wasn't complicated or hard to do.

There really is no reason you can't have good women's wrestling other than that they refuse to put in the effort required to get it. They have their reasons, I'm sure, but it's a total waste of what should be a major part of your show. Their whole "you have to wrestle like divas" thing, or making all of them crazy and going "well that's women for you" on commentary, it's always been unpleasant to me to see how poorly they're portrayed.

Guys, New Day's trombone/Dudley Boyz segment is the "stupid" part of wrestling done to perfection. I was dying the entire time. Xavier Woods is so good.

Proud to say I love New Day.

Baron Corbin is like the DBZ fusion form of Ambrose and Reigns. With a little sprinkling of Corey Graves.

I agree with brisk tacos about NXT women not being shit at first, either. You have to train your audience to expect women to wrestle long matches, and then you start cutting them loose. I guarantee we'll see a match at least of that first Emma/Paige match quality before Wrestlemania, and they can build on that quality over time.

Shit, fellas, maybe they're doing this team stuff so they have time to figure out what each person's role and character on the main roster will be? They had Becky act like a quirky weirdo last night, which is potentially more lucrative a character than the personality-less bullshit she was doing before. Do it in a team, and you can introduce just a flash of it and see how it works, and adjust.

Top Bottom