• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

August Wrasslin |OT| The Sunday of Summer

I will say this about Brock: he has an aura unlike any other wrestler, and the WWE has realized this. They have done an adequate job of protecting him and making him feel like a very special attraction.

There was a time when Brock's booking was incomprehensible and made him look weak, but what they've done with him since Mania 30 has largely been effective in making him feel almost mythical.

Any doubts I had about the finish at SummerSlam evaporated in that Heyman promo. Undertaker is a heel. Brock can only be beaten by cheating. Brock doesn't cheat. The fact so many were cheering Brock against Taker in the rematch shows you just what kind of aura this guy has built up since ending the streak. What percentage of the crowd did he have at Mania 30 compared to almost half the crowd on Sunday and ALL the crowd on Monday?

I don't think there's any way I'd be willing to take that spot. You're taking the entire impact of the throw directly on your spine. Which I think is probably only slightly better than the whiplash from the turnbuckle powerbomb.

You're falling about two feet onto your shoulders. The one Sami took... that I'm not so sure about, but that one is pretty damn tame. I'd take that over a pop up power bomb.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Watching WWF Super Astros. Easy to see why this shit failed. "Hey, Mexicans! Here's 6 luchadores without masks, watch them wrestle each other over and over and over."

I remember it well. I was so excited for it, and let down SO hard. Let down so hard I hurt my spine.

Striker

He needs to come back. Drives me nuts when all the WWF Attitude marks claim he wasn't over in WCW.
Last I read he doesn't get along with Triple H. Mutually.

And both Triple H and Shawn Michaels thinks he's not "HOF worthy", you know, the place where Koko B. Ware was enshrined.

Bronx-Man

Banned
I am 100% on board with unprotected chair shots. Maybe it will lead to concussion issues, but, fuck, pro wrestlers are going to have terrible quality of life problems in the long run anyway. The brightest flames burn out fastest.
Speaking of carnies...

jmdajr

DudleyBoyz_980x470.jpg

klonere

Banned
Any doubts I had about the finish at SummerSlam evaporated in that Heyman promo. Undertaker is a heel. Brock can only be beaten by cheating. Brock doesn't cheat. The fact so many were cheering Brock against Taker in the rematch shows you just what kind of aura this guy has built up since ending the streak. What percentage of the crowd did he have at Mania 30 compared to almost half the crowd on Sunday and ALL the crowd on Monday?

I don't know who mentioned in this thread but the theory that Brock is becoming the old Taker, the one badass on the roster that everyone respected, was unfuckwitable, untouchable at WM and has that special aura and Taker hates this. Thus he cheats in all his matches to beat him, losing what made him Taker in the first place, slowly turning from hero to villain and finally just fading away, leaving Brock to take over his legacy.

Speaking of carnies...

dream's here to remind us how horrific this industry really is when you think about it.

I like him.

Fox318

It adds to Brock's badass aura rather than getting him sympathy. Although Roman sold so well for Brock at WM I could see blood working for him in a babyface comeback.

The Roman money is all in that heel run though

Roman's biggest problem is his moveset is rather repetitive for an ass kicker, he can't sell well (I'm not even sure he should be selling at all), weak promo (most likely scripting's fault rather than his).

Plus he is the only one who still does the shield shit.

Why didn't he come out with Ambrose for Summerslam? Why does he still wear that vest?

Give up on who?! WHO?! Never.

Roman Reigns get his moment at Wrasslemania 32.

Also, I've come across a superstar who is kayfabe stronger than Barack. Hear me out now.

So we can all see that Brock is always 100%. It takes a lot to keep him down, but as we say the other night, he can indeed lose. Considering the fact that we've never really seen him take beyond five finishers, that's probably his limit. It's just that he tends to be dominant in the ring.

But, let me throw this out there right quick.

The Rock is stronger. Now you're going to say Rock has lost a lot of times, and I get that. I get that. But that's because The Rock is usually fighting at 80% of his power. But we have seen him at 100%.

If you remember prior to Wrasslemania 17, he told Austin he'd give him every ounce of blood, sweat, tears, and whatever else. That it would be the absolute best of The Rock. Well, to defeat a 100% Rock, it took:

2 Stone Cold Stunners
1 Rock Bottom
1 Ringbell shot
1 Monitor shot
1 Title shot
19 Chairshots

That's an equivalent of 25 finishers to put down Rock Prime. So even though Rock isn't dominant, he clearly has perfected the art of the comeback. And this is why Rock will beat Brock at Wrasslemania 32.

So ends another one of my Kayfabe Mathematics lessons.

According to the law of Brockanomics, each german suplex is equivalent to 1 standard WWE finsher, an F5 equals 3.5 standard finshers, and the kimura varies depending if it's used on Cena vs not Cena opponents.(4 finishers if not Cena, 0.5 if Cena)

With as dominant as Bork is in the ring, 16 germans should be of no issue, add in 3 F5s and we get 26.5 finishers. Finally we plug in the kimura lock for a grand total of 30.5 finishers. The numbers don't lie, and they spell Suplex City for Rock at Wrasslemania Star.

Heel

The fuck? Was that an actual botch or a well-hidden blood pack?

If you look carefully, that's not Vince McMahon's real hair. It's look-alike toupée with a blood capsule hidden underneath, waiting to be punctured on impact.

#TeamBloodCapsuleHiddenInTheToupée

jmdajr

So the argument is how does the whiplash from bumps compare to chair shots to the head.
Main difference is one fucks you up faster, and the other is a slow burn.

In the end wrestling, like football, can never be safe. Guys get their brains scrambled and you go on the sideline, but you come back in and the risks are still there.

We watch because well...it's fucking crazy and most sane people would never do it. Although for Football it's a shit ton more that do participate.

Alucard

Banned
My own thoughts on the Divas revolution:

The women's stories and matches in NXT feel natural and based on competition. They also feature women who don't all basically have the same catty personality. Right now, it feels like it's only a matter of time before Charlotte et al. get distilled into the Bella model of not being sympathetic or detestable, but just representing Vince's idea of women, i.e. being catty, backstabbing, and looking good in a tight singlet.

There is no honest sense of competition or fighting for a clear purpose between the women on Raw. There is just a bunch of girls fighting for no apparent reason, with very little to distinguish one from the other. The multi-women tags aren't helping anyone, as everyone is just getting diluted in a giant pot of Diva stew, and not getting to showcase their individual skills or say anything about their backgrounds and motivations.

Where are the video packages for these women? What do we know about them? Why are they in the WWE? How did they get here?

Mahonay

Banned
It's weird how these guys bleeding profusely from their foreheads didn't bother me at all when I was a kid, and in fact it usually added to the match for me, but now as an adult it's really hard for me to watch that part of the era when I go back and watch the matches today. When one of them cuts themselves wide open and starts just spurting blood all over the mat I now just think "oh god why?"

Verendus

Banned
According to the law of Brockanomics, each german suplex is equivalent to 1 standard WWE finsher, an F5 equals 3.5 standard finshers, and the kimura varies depending if it's used on Cena vs not Cena opponents.(4 finishers if not Cena, 0.5 if Cena)

With as dominant as Bork is in the ring, 16 germans should be of no issue, add in 3 F5s and we get 26.5 finishers. Finally we plug in the kimura lock for a grand total of 30.5 finishers. The numbers don't lie, and they spell Suplex City for Rock at Wrasslemania Star.
My maths is better than your maths! Stop trying to crush my dreams!

It's weird how these guys bleeding profusely from their foreheads didn't bother me at all when I was a kid, and in fact it usually added to the match for me, but now as an adult it's really hard for me to watch that part of the era when I go back and watch the matches today. When one of them cuts themselves wide open and starts just spurting blood all over the mat I now just think "oh god why?"

yeah man i have the same reaction. loved it as a kid, felt like it was super sick, now it's just gross. a little bit of blood is okay, but i don't actually want it.

Verendus

Banned
All the blood in recent times seems to have come from Barack Lesnar matches.

I remember when Roman took him to the limit in the MOTY. Blood adds drama, but as with anything, if it's happening too often, it becomes less impactful. Part of the reason why it seemed special at Wrestlemania is because of how rare it is now.

Mahonay

Banned
All the blood in recent times seems to have come from Barack Lesnar matches.

I remember when Roman took him to the limit in the MOTY. Blood adds drama, but as with anything, if it's happening too often, it becomes less impactful. Part of the reason why it seemed special at Wrestlemania is because of how rare it is now.
Brock is also not blading himself wide open. I can handle that amount of blood in a match.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I definitely don't want blood in every match.

But if you want to get over two guys actually hating each others guts, like Brock/Taker, it goes a long way.

dream

I mean, when you punch someone in the face, they generally bleed, right? Not having blood just exposes the artifice of pro wrestling in a way where it doesn't just look phony, but it looks cartoonish. Like how the Road Runner could trick Wile E. Coyote into falling 500 feet without the Coyote getting hurt.

Speaking of blood, first day cycling to work, scraped up my knees. Everything hurt already before I did that.

Road cycling, hills, and getting fit can all
tumblr_mi4z5d36Eo1qj21dno5_250.gif

They should just have Sasha talk shit to Steph about how she deserves a title shot and shouldn't be forced to team with two jobbers in order to fight for nothing. Throw in something about how she's not the boss because her daddy was, but because she actually earned the title. Steph grants the match and rats her out to B.A.D. so that when Sasha's about to win the title they turn.

Unexpectedly the NXT girls were ready for it and take out B.A.D before taking out the Bella's and Paige in their confusion. Fox, Naomi & Brie are injured in the event and the remaining women have a month or two feuding with actual character motivation e.g. Becky is disappointed that her former friend Paige inspired her by kicking off the women's division on NXT only to sell out and become a reality star on the main roster, Sasha is pissed people Niki refers to herself as the best and commentary goes along with it when she's had more memorable matches in 3 months than Niki's had in her entire career. Things conclude with a 6 woman tag where they seek to retire the Diva's title and instate a new women's title instead, along with the condition that they're refereed to as superstars rather than divas.

I'll stop fantasy booking the women's division now and just prepare myself for Vince pulling the plug after the last few nights have proved women can't draw.

Fantasy booking indeed, this makes far too much sense and too well written out for WWE and their 20+whatever writers.

Top Bottom