• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

August Wrasslin |OT| The Sunday of Summer

NYR

What a horrible podcast, worst one yet. Get Vince and HHH in once a quarter, rotate them in. That is who the people want to hear from.

Discussion topic: you are given complete creative control over a wrestling show. What 'feel' do you go for? Is there a wrestling company or a specific era in a wrestling company that you would style yourself after?

I've expressed my love for heyman era smackdown in the past, so that would be my answer. A lower key focus. Gimmicks, but more focused and grounded. Clear divisions and a more sports feel.

Remember when WCW Saturday Night had these shootish sitdown interviews?

All the women standing up and cheering and the men booing because of their wives swoonin' lol

Discussion topic: you are given complete creative control over a wrestling show. What 'feel' do you go for? Is there a wrestling company or a specific era in a wrestling company that you would style yourself after?

I've expressed my love for heyman era smackdown in the past, so that would be my answer. A lower key focus. Gimmicks, but more focused and grounded. Clear divisions and a more sports feel.

The other good thing about divisions, is when a smaller guy goes up a peg or two, you really feel the size difference and the underdog situation, because you're so used to seeing him paired with guys his size. But at the same time, if those divisions were enforced, it would've probably robbed us of a lot of great smaller guys having the spotlight.

Savitar

zzuNyte.gif

dream

Watching all this old footage makes me respect Rick Rude for looking and acting like a man. A guy who would have your back after drinking a few beers and smoking a pack of cigarettes at the local college bar. He was cut from a different cloth than today's crop of sissies like Seth Rollins and Daniel Bryan.

tm24

The GF had a thought while watching the Piper tribute. Piper with the shoulder length hair is like top 5 best looking dudes in wrestling. She cant get over how perfect his hair looked.

Just got around to watching the Steven and Paige podcast from tonight. My god is it awkward. Austin is so like.. "I just asked my daughter how her day was after school" levels of I don't give a shit, but I wont let you know I don't.

Please, for the podcast specifically, PLEASE have established WWE performers, and not people my age. We haven't done shit in life yet.

Just got around to watching the Steven and Paige podcast from tonight. My god is it awkward. Austin is so like.. "I just asked my daughter how her day was after school" levels of I don't give a shit, but I wont let you know I don't.

Please, for the podcast specifically, PLEASE have established WWE performers, and not people my age. We haven't done shit in life yet.

But she's a 10 year vet!!!

thuway

I feel really bad for aging pro wrestlers. They are crucified whenever they get out of shape and to get INTO shape (or the shape that "impresses") have to resort to ludicrous amounts of drugs, dietary morbidities, and borderline body dysmorphic criticism.

I get really sick thinking about the "pressures" to look like an action figure and be as nimble as a gymnist. Something's gotta give.

I guess this is kind of hitting home because I talked to a colleague today who was telling me he fell out of wrestling and felt awful when he went to a Wrestling convention a few years back. They had all sorts of promotional material with all these old school wrestlers. When he officially got to the event - he told me they pretty much all looked nothing like what he saw on TV.

:/ I start thinking whats gonna happen to guys like Orton, Daniel Bryan, and the lot in 20-30 years. Will they be at Random Hotels in the middle of the Mid West trying to get us to buy a shirt and pay $20 for a picture?

Edit:

One the most depressing things I've ever seen is Lex Luger post stroke.

thuway

Not the only one, it's fucked up how we treat them just for aging.

Agreed, I can appreciate someone staying in shape, but whenever I see guys like the Rock or Hunter in his prime, I have to just shake my head. The amount of drugs and physical alterations required to achieve those results are incredibly damaging.

I think fans are sometimes also to blame. I mean how many times on message boards have you seen posters praising wrestlers (Rick Rude for example) for their physique. Worst is when people start mocking people for losing hair. I remember the Wrestlemania match this year where Sting came out, and my Whatsapp friends group just kept mocking his bald spot.

The worst thing is most people can't see what's happening on the inside to these guys. Pro wrestlers, or more importantly, the general population has no real conscience on the damage sustained to the liver, kidney, heart, tendons etc.- on a long term basis. It's sickening what the 80s and 90s era wrestlers were doing to themselves.

Top Bottom