• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

August Wrasslin |OT| The Sunday of Summer

How did I miss this:

Disappointed Austin is disappointed.

Finally, a companion to the classic:
LENdpxd.gif

Menome

Caught up with last night's RAW:

Rollins/Neville was surprisingly great. Fight of the night.

Both diva matches: I'm fairly sure this is the same match I've watched for the past three weeks.

8-Man Tag Team: Just too much of a cluster to be enjoyable, even with Xavier Woods and Titus O'Neill doing their best outside of the ring.

Miz TV: Can we have Cesaro's new gimmick being the Swiss International Assassin? He looks fucking brilliant suited up. Owens needed to actually fight him after being taunted for walking a lot recently and I think we've lost him as a 'big name' now after tonight.

6-Man Tag Team: Solid match, but at the same time felt like it was going through the motions. Bit of an anticlimax after the twists and turns of the opening fight.

Raw64life

She's a young woman.
She's not a man.
She touches her hair a lot, and she talks a little too fast.
She sounds rehearsed, like Cena.

Thus, WrassleGAF's verdict is minus 5 stars, no buys.

I think the sounding rehearsed part came from her constantly having to fight off the instinct to curse while she's talking, which she mentioned at the beginning of the interview.

Sounds like today's G1 show was a good show. Excited to watch it later

Seems like this years G1 was overkill from a fan standpoint. They should think about getting some outsider and giving guys like tenzan and makabe a break for starters

Hex

Banned
I think the sounding rehearsed part came from her constantly having to fight off the instinct to curse while she's talking, which she mentioned at the beginning of the interview.

She also is self-concious as mentioned multiple times and this is a very put on the spot situation.
Personally I think it came off very well.

Cagey

Banned
I feel really bad for aging pro wrestlers. They are crucified whenever they get out of shape and to get INTO shape (or the shape that "impresses") have to resort to ludicrous amounts of drugs, dietary morbidities, and borderline body dysmorphic criticism.

I get really sick thinking about the "pressures" to look like an action figure and be as nimble as a gymnist. Something's gotta give.

I guess this is kind of hitting home because I talked to a colleague today who was telling me he fell out of wrestling and felt awful when he went to a Wrestling convention a few years back. They had all sorts of promotional material with all these old school wrestlers. When he officially got to the event - he told me they pretty much all looked nothing like what he saw on TV.

:/ I start thinking whats gonna happen to guys like Orton, Daniel Bryan, and the lot in 20-30 years. Will they be at Random Hotels in the middle of the Mid West trying to get us to buy a shirt and pay $20 for a picture?

Edit:

One the most depressing things I've ever seen is Lex Luger post stroke.

Agreed, I can appreciate someone staying in shape, but whenever I see guys like the Rock or Hunter in his prime, I have to just shake my head. The amount of drugs and physical alterations required to achieve those results are incredibly damaging.

I think fans are sometimes also to blame. I mean how many times on message boards have you seen posters praising wrestlers (Rick Rude for example) for their physique. Worst is when people start mocking people for losing hair. I remember the Wrestlemania match this year where Sting came out, and my Whatsapp friends group just kept mocking his bald spot.

The worst thing is most people can't see what's happening on the inside to these guys. Pro wrestlers, or more importantly, the general population has no real conscience on the damage sustained to the liver, kidney, heart, tendons etc.- on a long term basis. It's sickening what the 80s and 90s era wrestlers were doing to themselves.

The fans are to blame because they keep clamoring to see these old men perform well past their expiration date, not because of the above-mentioned bullshit about emphasizing physiques in wrestling and wrestlers getting shamed for being out of shape. It's a young man's business that requires a certain degree of athleticism, physical stature, physical appearance, pain tolerance, strength, you name it. It's no different than most other professional sports in that regard.

These guys should be retired and have moved on to another profession instead of clinging to the glory days until they're cashing monthly Social Security checks.

There aren't pro football indies where 55 year old former Pro Bowlers suit up and play tackle football for $50 at an armory in Scranton in front of nostalgic 40 year old fans.

The fans feed this by demanding ONE MORE MATCH from 59 year olds, regardless of the physical and mental shape. That they also want said 59 year old to look like he did when he was 29 is asinine, but wrestling fans are often spoiled children who want to keep playing with their toys.

klonere

Banned
2K16 details from IGN:

MyCareer is back, and this time it goes a lot further, all the way to you gaining admission to the WWE Hall of Fame.

Create a Diva, Create a Show, Create an Arena, and Create a Championship are back in!

Three-man commentary team, with John "Bradshaw" Layfield joining King and Cole.

Ladder, handicap, and tornado tag match types added back in.

No loading screens between entrances, and you can assault opponents during their entrance!

Okay okay sounds fine. What about the roster?

I asked what "unique" meant exactly, and I liked the answer: that in most cases, it means an actually different person, not several different versions of the same character.

. So, completely hypothetically, Dude Love, Cactus Jack, and Mankind would represent three unique characters, but 90s Triple H and current Triple H would actually be just one.

Alright can't wait for Nation Mark Henry, Sexual Chocolate Mark Henry and HoP Mark Henry! But what about gamer playing?

Once you use one, it will slowly regenerate over time, meaning that if you try to counter every move thrown your way, you'll be out in no time flat, leaving you completely vulnerable until one regenerates. What's more, you can now pass on your initial chance to reverse a move at its startup, and instead attempt a mosre difficult to time "major" reversal mid-move. It will cost you two reversal stocks, but the effects can be match-changing, debuffing your opponent in a variety of possible ways and giving you time to really turn things around.

Wow, sounds pretty smart what el-

Chain grappling is back, and there are more transitions and moves now to reflect the abilities of the wrestlers involved.

giphy.gif

The fans are to blame because they keep clamoring to see these old men perform well past their expiration date, not because of the above-mentioned bullshit about emphasizing physiques in wrestling and wrestlers getting shamed for being out of shape. It's a young man's business that requires a certain degree of athleticism, physical stature, physical appearance, pain tolerance, strength, you name it. It's no different than most other professional sports in that regard.

These guys should be retired and have moved on to another profession instead of clinging to the glory days until they're cashing monthly Social Security checks.

There aren't pro football indies where 55 year olds suit up and play tackle football for $50 at an armory in Scranton.

The fans feed this by demanding ONE MORE MATCH from 59 year olds, regardless of the physical and mental shape. That they also want said 59 year old to look like he did when he was 29 is asinine, but wrestling fans are often spoiled children who want to keep playing with their toys.

If only noted racist Terry Bollea hadn't helped McMahon shut down the Ventura's attempts to unionize in the 80s, maybe there would be some protection for these older wrestlers so they don't have to continue to wrestle to make a living.

The individual wrestler's bargaining power is probably weaker than ever, and this cycle is just going to continue. I look forward to Ryback wrestling some podunk town in Iowa for peanuts in 2037 just to make a little money.

Alternately, if the Screen Actors Guild would let pro wrestlers join (as Darren Aronofsky was calling on SAG to do back in 2008 when he was promoting The Wrestler), it might get around Vince's likely attempts to bust any wrestler union.

But let's not talk about serious stuff like this. Let's focus on Elmo giving a wrestler the Rock Bottom.
tumblr_mq3v89KydY1qzn0kbo1_1280.jpg

Cagey

Banned
If only noted racist Terry Bollea hadn't helped McMahon shut down the Ventura's attempts to unionize in the 80s, maybe there would be some protection for these older wrestlers so they don't have to continue to wrestle to make a living.

The individual wrestler's bargaining power is probably weaker than ever, and this cycle is just going to continue. I look forward to Ryback wrestling some podunk town in Iowa for peanuts in 2037 just to make a little money.

Alternately, if the Screen Actors Guild would let pro wrestlers join (as Darren Aronofsky was calling on SAG to do back in 2008 when he was promoting The Wrestler), it might get around Vince's likely attempts to bust any wrestler union.

The fans and wrestlers alike are to blame. The fans for creating the demand and the wrestlers for not transitioning to literally anything else.

To push the blame onto Hulk Hogan and WWE for thwarting unionization attempts among its workers is missing the point. The pro sports leagues have unions and there's still plenty of pro athletes who still wind up dead broke. If you enter a profession with a short lifespan, that's a risk you have taken.

Well, few things. RAW was pretty fucking great you know. The talking segments were so much more effective and memorable when there's more wrestling. Great show. Heyman was ridiculous.

Haven't watched the podcast yet either, Paige is outrageously hot, not sure i'll make it through...*Shifty eyes*.

The fans and wrestlers alike are to blame. The fans for creating the demand and the wrestlers for not transitioning to literally anything else.

To push the blame onto Hulk Hogan and WWE for thwarting unionization attempts among its workers is missing the point. The pro sports leagues have unions and there's still plenty of pro athletes who still wind up dead broke. If you enter a profession with a short lifespan, that's a risk you have taken.

It's a matter of what you can easily address. Are you going to easily convince fans to leave their nostalgia behind? That's changing people's minds, which is the hardest thing in the world.

Are wrestlers able to easily transition to anything else after their active careers are over? That would require an infrastructure to train retired wrestlers or to convince them to think about their futures during their careers. Maybe that's easier with the current generation of wrestlers, but it will remain an issue with previous generations and some members of the current generation.

Or would it be easier to give them collective bargaining power so they can get health insurance and/or some retirement coverage later? The NFL is a similarly violent sport, and as weak as that union is, at least the NFLPA has been able to set up programs for former players. It's a false conclusion to say that wrestlers shouldn't unionize because some professional athletes or actors, who both have unions, end up broke. If we accept that pro wrestling isn't going away, then the performers should have some organized, legal protection.

kiguel182

There aren't pro football indies where 55 year old former Pro Bowlers suit up and play tackle football for $50 at an armory in Scranton in front of nostalgic 40 year old fans.

Great post.

Fans wanting to see the old guys perform over and over again is part of the problem. These guys aren't to going to look good because they shouldn't even be wrestling in the first place. They should simply hang the boots and leave the business for those that are young.

Of course making fun of a person for looking old is also dumb but that is just how life works. It isn't exactly exclusive to wrestling. The specific problem here is wrestlers not able to move on and trying to hang on for far too long than they should.

Great post.

Fans wanting to see the old guys perform over and over again is part of the problem. These guys aren't to going to look good because they shouldn't even be wrestling in the first place. They should simply hang the boots and leave the business for those that are young.

Of course making fun of a person for looking old is also dumb but that is just how life works. It isn't exactly exclusive to wrestling. The specific problem here is wrestlers not able to move on and trying to hang on for far too long than they should.

+1 for you both, I agree wholeheartedly. I genuinely don't see why people clamor to see people WAY past it. Hell, Steamboat at WM25 with Piper and Snuka v Jericho. No offense to those three but what a waste of Jericho's time when he really should of been upper card. Especially given that SHOCKING main event.

Sephzilla

*Sigh*

2k16 actually sounds like a decent step up and has me interested. 2k15's gameplay was actually decent, it was just the lack of everything else hurt the game. Hopefully the CAW system is improved from last year as well. I wonder if the "no loading between entrances" thing will apply to CAWs as well
probably not, though

Cagey

Banned
It's a matter of what you can easily address. Are you going to easily convince fans to leave their nostalgia behind? That's changing people's minds, which is the hardest thing in the world.

Are wrestlers able to easily transition to anything else after their active careers are over? That would require an infrastructure to train retired wrestlers or to convince them to think about their futures during their careers. Maybe that's easier with the current generation of wrestlers, but it will remain an issue with previous generations and some members of the current generation.

Or would it be easier to give them collective bargaining power so they can get health insurance and/or some retirement coverage later? The NFL is a similarly violent sport, and as weak as that union is, at least the NFLPA has been able to set up programs for former players. It's a false conclusion to say that wrestlers shouldn't unionize because some professional athletes or actors, who both have unions, end up broke. If we accept that pro wrestling isn't going away, then the performers should have some organized, legal protection.

Sure, they should unionize and try to wrest some sort of post-career pension or health benefits from them. But that's besides the point: the person to whom I responded argued the sad state of wrestlers feeling pressure to look younger and jacked when they're old because of fans want to see "physiques" and "good looks" from wrestlers. An offshoot of the "stop fatshaming Kevin Owens gosh his look doesn't matter it's not relevant to his work as a professional wrestler" nonsense.

I'm arguing the need to maintain a certain young athletic man's look is missing the point, which is that in-ring professional wrestling is falsely seen as a lifelong career when it's much closer to baseball (in terms of athletic lifespan) than what we're seeing today. The crime isn't that Scott Steiner or Sting or Undertaker feel an undue pressure to stay young and fit and not-bald to perform. It's that they're collectively 160+ years old and still performing and we're still demanding it.

Put that motherfucking doo-rag back on, Marcus Fenix.

Using the best part of Man of Steel (the music from the trailer) is a good move by Microsoft at this Gamescom presentation.

She's 22. Of course she's bad at interviews.

Don't be calling me ageist either. It's a damn FACT, son.

Ageist, that's a new one. Well, you know me Alucard, I'd never disrespect you. You're one of the few Wrasslegaffers that have my utmost respect and admiration.

What I took from Paige's interview is that she has a fucked up family. Man, seemed like an awful thing to grow up in.

I'm going to watch the podcast when I have free time. From my viewing of her documentary, my impression was that the family was cool with each other.

Top Bottom