• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

August Wrasslin |OT| The Sunday of Summer

imBask

Banned
It's fake.

0.jpg

I'm playing through Titan Souls right now. It's fun for what it is and thankfully doesn't fall into any sort of boredom-trap like the second half of Bravely Default

I am through one chapter of Bravely Default, and I can see what the game's progression will be. It doles out the classes, which is the game's appeal, too slowly. It's too easy to just set the game to auto-combat or spam Bravely to get through combat, which is the other crux of the game. So, classes are distributed too slowly, combat's in general boring, half of the main characters are bland baby faces, and the story is flat. The social function with the rebuilding town is nothing more than a Facebook clicker game. It made me wonder why I was playing it at all.

i enjoy people saying they don't push new stars and all that

seth rollins has the WWE AND the fucking US title right now. he's a heel yes but god damn, this dude is pinning the company together with his wrestling skills.

he needs some promo catchphrases though!

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
The win out of nowhere discussion has always been interesting to me, because that's how pretty much every form of entertainment does it as well. Protagonist has the odds stacked against them, seemingly impossible, then they somehow find a way to win at the last second and move on to the next story. Or, the protagonist is about to win and the antagonist gets away at the last second to fight another day. John Cena/Hulk Hogan being the protagonist examples, Flair and the Horsemen being the antagonist examples.

As wrestling is just another form of story telling, it follows and uses the same story telling techniques that other genres and mediums do. The story telling issues in wrestling are the same issues in all forms of story based entertainment. The core story telling tools are so ingrained in humanity that it is nearly impossible to really change them.

I'm not sure how many of you have read The Seven Basic Plots by Christopher Booker, but it essentially explains how there are really only seven plots. Some would argue that there are 20-36 basic, core plots, but as wrestling is such a broadstrokes and simplified genre, I'm inclined to go with the seven for it.

• Overcoming The Monster
  • Rags To Riches
  • The Quest
  • Voyage And Return
  • Comedy
  • Tragedy
  • Rebirth

It's really, really hard to break away from those. Especially in wrestling, which doesn't have a ton of room for subtlety and nuance, at least not on a scale to deviate from the core stories, as most of the bulk of story points are told with physicality, not words. Depending on how long the stories are, nearly all the plots can be used, such as with the Daniel Bryan story. I would argue that the voyage and return/rebirth are pretty much the same thing, but those are the basic framework for all stories in wrestling and, indeed, most genres of entertainment. It's very hard to deviate from those. For one, they're so ingrained that most people write those plots without even being aware of it. Secondly, its hard for others to accept something radically different than every story they've been told.

In my mind, the issue isn't repetition of the story points, but repetition of the presentation. That's why Lucha Underground had such an interesting product. They used the same core plot points, but with a totally fresh for wrestling presentation. The presentation of those core plots made for an engaging and entertaining product even though, at its heart, the stories were the same that have been told in wrestling for decades.

Storytelling doesn't have to be complex, and you just provided what ought to be on every Writer's Room for wrasslin' writers. If you deviate too far from those cores, your story may end up with a ton of holes with it or confusing motivations.

Aiii

So not worth it
Mick Foley finally talking about something important. I'm on board. I agree.

Mick has always been a huge supporter for women's rights.

Also does a good deal to call some attention to autism (due to his son), which is nice.

Mick is a great guy, I don't always agree with him on matters of booking and storylines, but as a human being he is amazing.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Mick has always been a huge supporter for women's rights.

Also does a good deal to call some attention to autism (due to his son), which is nice.

Mick is a great guy, I don't always agree with him on matters of booking and storylines, but as a human being he is amazing.

Well what I meant was for once he's not whining about the results of a PPV, heh. It's refreshing.

He is good folks and the work he does is good, even if I don't like his character or his comedy, it's obvious he wants the world to be a better place and I'll be a fan of him being a human being.

mick has always been a good guy, that's why he's regularly on mainstream tv and shows. but he usually talks about some niche bullshit like his santa claus thing on the WTF podcast and nobody cares.

this is actively important to wwe's booking and to our entertainment so it's a good point.

hhh15.jpg

B9316416011Z.1_20150227120824_000_G1RA33D38.1-0.jpg

I mean a younger Trips before the bulk. Of course not gimmick wise, but workrate wise it's almost the same.

i mean more like triple h never got that over for his in ring stuff, cos he's only 'good' not great, but seth is great and he's getting over despite his immense heel booking. it's a totally different dynamic.

i think seth is a huge face waiting to happen.

I know Total Divas is a work, but if it came out that it was all a shoot I wouldn't be surprised purely because wrestlers are mostly really weird people.

RP912

Banned
i mean more like triple h never got that over for his in ring stuff, cos he's only 'good' not great, but seth is great and he's getting over despite his immense heel booking. it's a totally different dynamic.

i think seth is a huge face waiting to happen.

True. Despite the chicken shit heel gimmick, Seth is a natural in the ring. His Summerslam performance was amazing. I just hope that the title reign last a few more months because Rollins made me a believer that night.

klonere

Banned
True. Despite the chicken shit heel gimmick, Seth is a natural in the ring. His Summerslam performance was amazing. I just hope that the title reign last a few more months because Rollins made me a believer that night.

The HHH feud is going to be legendary. A face turn for the ages.

RP912

Banned
I don't understand why WWE keeps pushing these garbage ass trashy reality shows with no substance, but won't pump out the stuff that are critically acclaimed. Such as documentaries, behind the scenes stuff, and things that actually make the company look...good. Instead of a sleazy miserable place of employment.

Reality shows are so 2005.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I don't understand why WWE keeps pushing these garbage ass trashy reality shows with no substance, but won't pump out the stuff that are critically acclaimed. Such as documentaries, behind the scenes stuff, and things that actually make the company look...good. Instead of a sleazy miserable place of employment.

Reality TV is still good television. I love Total Divas and I ain't ashamed.

Get on board the TD train, pal.

KingBroly

Banned

It's because they're behind the times. Their Divas Revolution is acting like this is the first time women in sports has ever been a thing.

Fox318

reality shows are cheap as shit to produce

Aiii

So not worth it

Nobody watches those documentaries, aside from the few hardcore fans. The sleazy stuff is cheap to produce and gets more viewers. It just makes sense.

Reality TV is still good television. I love Total Divas and I ain't ashamed.

Get on board the TD train, pal.

Yes, it's just good old fun. A bit pissed Ariane and Vinny are gone from this season though, hope they come back.

That stuff is hard

AND EXPOSES THE FUCKING BUSINESS

Browny

Banned
They don't care about the business anymore though - they care about getting as much exposure as possible. TD gets them TMZ column space, gossip column space, etc. They crave the mainstream media attention - see ESPN and Summerslam.

If they cared about the business, it'd probably be a much smoother and tighter operation on the main TV programmes.

Reality shows are cheap and easy to produce and shows like TE and TD are trying to appeal to a different demographic than the audience that watches Raw every and buys wrestling docs on bluray. They do pump out the docs. They've been doing 2-4 big documentary projects a year for about a decade now. They also have an ongoing doc series on the Network. I'm sure the producers of 30 for 30 would tell you that making a trashy reality show would be a lot easier than the time and effort they put into each doc in that series.

Also, some of the biggest shows on cable are reality shows. They're bigger than ever.

RP912

Banned
It's because they're behind the times. Their Divas Revolution is acting like this is the first time women in sports has ever been a thing.

Pretty much. The whole Divas Revolution storyline was failure on arrival. Sasha, Char, and Becky were booked wrong and was stepping stools to make the Bellas look credible. It's just a complete mess and probably the closest thing to "Brawl For All" levels of failure. It's a shame.

reality shows are cheap as shit to produce

Nobody watches those documentaries, aside from the few hardcore fans. The sleazy stuff is cheap to produce and gets more viewers. It just makes sense.

Yes, it's just good old fun. A bit pissed Ariane and Vinny are gone from this season though, hope they come back.

I see that point. Why put effort into a documentaries that have footage already available, when you can produce Jackass knockoffs for the lulz.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
hhh15.jpg

B9316416011Z.1_20150227120824_000_G1RA33D38.1-0.jpg

I mean a younger Trips before the bulk. Of course not gimmick wise, but workrate wise it's almost the same.
I'll only fully support this if/when Seth does a pepsi plunge top rope pedigree and gets the ISEC in a tizzy while one upping his sempai.

Ithil

Problem is they just want any kind of "mainstream" attention whatsoever. They want to have better deals with their sponsors and better ad rates from USA, yet they aren't doing anything to fix the low brow reputation they have that's causing them to get low ad rates and lower deals.

Putting on all those trashy reality shows, grabbing as many D list celebs as they can with a few exceptions (like Jon Stewart, who is a fan), appealing to the lowest common denominator, touting those shitty direct to DVD movies as some kind of incredible feat, there's nothing saying they have to do all this.

Top Bottom