• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

August Wrasslin |OT| The Sunday of Summer

Oersted

The thing about Sheamus, though, is no one has any interest in him or whatever he's doing. They're booing because he's boring.

Sheamus MitB(I know, we have been there) was such a mistake

With a face cashin you would be like finally

Heel cashin would be that glorious motherfucker

Sheamus... I can't imagine an outcome where it wouldn't suck. I really can't. Its like Big Show winning something. Might as well throw it in a blackhole

Fox318

CULTURE SHOCK WITH COREY GRAVES
8CFlWCKl.jpg

BRONY CON
AUGUST 26, 2015
Corey Graves heads to Baltimore, Maryland to experience BronyCon, the fan convention dedicated to all things 'My Little Pony'.

http://network.wwe.com/video/v409711283

WWE Network targeting that Brony-Mark crossover

RoU5oei.gif

klonere

Banned
Friends NXT is worth watching tonight!

- Reportedly atom melting heat for Eva Marie in a match where she nearly kills Carmella!
- Enzo et Cass popping off big!
-
A botched finish in the women's match!
- More Gable + Jordan in the ring!

and most importantly

- Face Bull "Bullfit" Dempsey debut!

thefro

I wonder if Vince yelled into Gorilla's headset or he knew better not to fuck with Monsoon.

I doubt it even started until late 1997 or so when Vince left the announce team for good. Before that most stuff was either pretaped or Vince was lead PBP guy

Can't see McMahon yelling in Monsoon or Ventura's headset and getting away with it.

More Liger!

Liger debuted on the NXT show, and is expected to be working more dates with WWE, which explains his beating Tyler Breeze on the show, although the Brooklyn show's main card had nothing but babyface wins. One promoter we are friends with had tried to book Liger for a few dates and was told WWE had him on those dates, so it looks like Liger has a deal with WWE. It appears his role will be similar to the Samoa Joe/Rhyno deal for NXT, although probably not as extensively because he's got New Japan. But it does open some doors in the sense WWE will now use a guy under contract to New Japan and work through the office on getting dates as opposed to the old doctrine of not using guys under contract to other companies. Neither Joe nor Rhyno was under contract to anyone and Joe was not allowed to work on ROH television in his final date with the company, while there's no way Liger won't be working on New Japan television, which airs in this country, although Liger is likely to rarely appear on World Pro Wrestling Returns on AXS.

New Japan officials were at both the NXT and SummerSlam events this past weekend. Kazuchika Okada was said to be very popular backstage with the WWE crew when he came to SummerSlam.

Fox318

My god I need to sit down and watch this HHH doc.

I honestly think that he may have the most conflicting legacy of anyone in wrestling.

klonere

Banned
Steiner vs Sting is the main event from the Nitro that had Scott Hall come out and do his thing and boy is it a picture of a transitioning Steiner - losing his hair, even more freakishly jacked but could still move and execute all his shit smooth as hell.

RP912

Banned
I doubt it even started until late 1997 or so when Vince left the announce team for good. Before that most stuff was either pretaped or Vince was lead PBP guy

Can't see McMahon yelling in Monsoon or Ventura's headset and getting away with it.

Yeah I figure VInce knew his boundaries with Gorilla and especially Ventura.

More Liger!

Nice. Looking forward to a potential Liger/Kalypso match.

Fox318

It's funny how insecure and nerdy he comes off in his talking heads. I don't mean that in a disparaging way.

He dresses up with Conan the Barbarian and uses wrestling moves from guys in the 50s.

He is a complete nerd and at one point was one of the best wrestlers on the planet. Then he got injured and couldn't be the same and used his political power to remain at the top and so strongly booked.

Hell with the WWE video games you couldn't use screenshots of him taking a move. They straight up banned press from making him job in a game.

The one thing that HHH has over Vince is that you can tell he loves wrestling and isn't scared to promote wrestling.

More Liger!

This is very exciting. While Liger is a special case, clearly there is thawing of whatever ice built up in the 80s between WWE and NJPW. Having the IWGP champion and NJ bookers and promoters as special guests at the second biggest WWE event of the year is something that would have never happened even two years ago. I can definitely see this leading to if not a joint show, at least some joint matches whenever WWE is in Japan.

somedevil

I see someone is from Canada. Plus more Wyatts news:

WWE officials have had discussions about introducing an actual person as The Wyatt Family's Sister Abigail.

If they actually introduce her it has to be a big name not named Stephanie Mcmahon. Who can actually fill that role?

Kaiterra

Banned
lol maybe I shouldn't have laid that last post out right before leaving for a 10 hour shift.

The win out of nowhere discussion has always been interesting to me, because that's how pretty much every form of entertainment does it as well. Protagonist has the odds stacked against them, seemingly impossible, then they somehow find a way to win at the last second and move on to the next story. Or, the protagonist is about to win and the antagonist gets away at the last second to fight another day. John Cena/Hulk Hogan being the protagonist examples, Flair and the Horsemen being the antagonist examples.

As wrestling is just another form of story telling, it follows and uses the same story telling techniques that other genres and mediums do. The story telling issues in wrestling are the same issues in all forms of story based entertainment. The core story telling tools are so ingrained in humanity that it is nearly impossible to really change them.

I get the concepts in your post, but I'm not sure they're relevant to what I was trying to say. My problem is more that I think they often tell the wrong story with him or tell it ineffectively. They put up odds for him to overcome and then make it so easy for him to breeze over those odds with no lasting consequence, both in and out of the ring, that it undermines the entire effort, which really has resulted in his character being warped into this weird amalgam of what they want him to be and what the internet has always said he is.

Maybe the best way to illustrate where I come from with Cena is that I came back to WWE sometime shortly after Summerslam 2009 and I was PRETTY INTO HIM pretty much all the way up to the Nexus stuff, which soured me on him pretty bad. It felt like they started using the internet complaints about him as his character bible or something by then and making it a central part of the story in 2011 just to stay the course anyway made it worse.

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
I quit watching wrestling around 2002 and I just got back into it, so it was pretty weird seeing Cena go from this white rapper wannabe that I thought was nevee gonna make it, to being one of the most successful wrestlers of all time.

lol maybe I shouldn't have laid that last post out right before leaving for a 10 hour shift.

I get the concepts in your post, but I'm not sure they're relevant to what I was trying to say. My problem is more that I think they often tell the wrong story with him or tell it ineffectively. They put up odds for him to overcome and then make it so easy for him to breeze over those odds with no lasting consequence, both in and out of the ring, that it undermines the entire effort, which really has resulted in his character being warped into this weird amalgam of what they want him to be and what the internet has always said he is.

Maybe the best way to illustrate where I come from with Cena is that I came back to WWE sometime shortly after Summerslam 2009 and I was PRETTY INTO HIM pretty much all the way up to the Nexus stuff, which soured me on him pretty bad. It felt like they started using the internet complaints about him as his character bible or something by then and making it a central part of the story in 2011 just to stay the course anyway made it worse.

Most of those issues come from the TV schedule. It happens so often that it stops making sense after a while. Compare that to Hogan, who would do basically the same story as Cena, but 2-4 times a year instead of every month.

The story of the monster being built up for 6-12 months, then going after Hogan and SHOWING that he was a legit threat, taking up the next 3 months of Hogan's time before Hogan vanquished him, was easy to buy into each time since it could only happen 3 times a year at most. I don't think the story is the issue. The amount of times it is told in a short period is, for sure.

Bryan is so ridiculously honest to the point he openly criticized Vince McMahon's version of what the "it factor" is." He said he believes the "it factor" is the ability to make people care about you through your wrestling and praised Cesaro, saying that's his favorite wrestler in the U.S. to watch. He said his proudest match was with KENTA. He talked about how he liked being in ROH because ROH needed him to have big matches and help draw, while WWE doesn't need him.

#.shoot

Kaiterra

Banned
Most of those issues come from the TV schedule. It happens so often that it stops making sense after a while. Compare that to Hogan, who would do basically the same story as Cena, but 2-4 times a year instead of every month.

The story of the monster being built up for 6-12 months, then going after Hogan and SHOWING that he was a legit threat, taking up the next 3 months of Hogan's time before Hogan vanquished him, was easy to buy into each time since it could only happen 3 times a year at most. I don't think the story is the issue. The amount of times it is told in a short period is, for sure.

Yeah, that's basically what I was trying to get at, for the most part. At some point, you've overcome the odds so many times that now you ARE the odds. Cena's at his best now when they're booking him as the obstacle to be overcome a la the Bryan feud, the initial part of the Punk feud or the U.S. Open Challenge, or when he can be an opposing force to an "outsider" threat of equal magnitude like Brock or Rock. But then sometimes they try and have their cake and eat it too by having him be completely dominant while the story is calling for him to play the underdog and it's weird and offputting.

Top Bottom