• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

August Wrasslin |OT| The Sunday of Summer

The only reason this revolution exists, is to promote Steph vs Ronda at WM.

That's not true at all, and honestly makes no sense. Ronda competing at Mania is a long shot at best. She'll most likely be there, but competing is a different story. And the truth is that Steph and Hunter do want the women to be pushed more. They want that just like they made it happen on NXT, but there's only so much that they have say over, and even they've made mistakes with the booking of it up to this point. I don't think any one person is to blame for the "revolution" not working. It's a symptom of a lot of problems with the structure of WWE and how they try to push things.

Zabka

The list of things WWE fucked up with the women's division is massive, starting with the damn name.

• The name Divas. It sucks.
  • Calling it a revolution when all 3 teams are led by established wrestlers.
  • The awful announce team running #DivasRevolution into the ground the same way they run every gimmick into the ground these days.
  • Stephanie has been an evil owner forever. Having her as the mastermind contributes nothing and just muddles the little storyline there is going on.
  • 2 of the new wrestlers are stuck on a team with the most over face female wrestler so they don't wrestle each other.
  • The best female wrestler is stuck as Naomi's lackey.
  • The matches get more time but there are no stakes to any of them.
  • That stupid butterfly belt.
  • They've just been killing time until the Night of Champions.
  • The storylines haven't changed. They're all bitchy to each other and that's it.
  • Nikki Bella still hasn't decided if she's a heel or a face.
  • They finally tried to give them personalities on Miz TV and it came off like an NKOTB MTV interview.
  • Miz treated them all like a kindergarten class and didn't get his ass kicked
  • Miz buried the entire idea of women's wrestling and still didn't get his ass kicked
  • The champion, Nikki Bella, said that wins & losses don't matter. Then they had a match.
  • Commercial breaks are filled with ads for Total Divas showing the division acting like idiots.
  • Sasha had a match with Nikki Bella and made her tap but it was a bullshit non-title match, which is the least creative way of building hype possible.
  • Because they're stuck on teams they don't get to do their individual entrances in all these tag matches. Good entrances help get wrestlers over. Coming out to the same music we've been hearing on Raw for years doesn't help anyone.
  • Nattie should be out there doing something
  • Tangentially related to this, they've completely regressed Lana's character into a complete idiot to help get Ziggler over.
Did Owens get introduced by Triple H? Neville? Any guy from NXT ever? Nope, they just came out and did their shit, started feuding with someone, and that's that.
Bret Hart introduced Sami Zayn but it made sense since they're both Canadian faces in Montreal.

Oersted

They listened with New Day and look how goddamn over they are now, I don't wanna keep fearing that listening about Divas Revolution(TM) means shutting the women down.

Holy Crap. Here is slow motion of Sasha Taking the reverse rana. She did not take it safe at all. This move is not happening again. This explains why she barely worked Sunday and did not wrestle Monday.

https://instagram.com/p/6uoiC1ICH6/
Not a good bump but it being in slow motion makes it look worse.
The thing is WWE isn't trying to lay any ground work and slowly change perceptions of the women, they're doing the same damn shit they always do and calling it a revolution. No wait instead of a 3 minute meaningless match now it's a 10 minute meaningless match.

Whatever I knew from the second they tried to coin the term "divas revolution" into some brand instead of just doing it that it would fail. They aren't trying to get over any of the women as individuals, they aren't trying to make stars, they're trying to get over the "divas revolution".
The list of things WWE fucked up with the women's division is massive, starting with the damn name.

• The name Divas. It sucks.
  • Calling it a revolution when all 3 teams are led by established wrestlers.
  • The awful announce team running #DivasRevolution into the ground the same way they run every gimmick into the ground these days.
  • Stephanie has been an evil owner forever. Having her as the mastermind contributes nothing and just muddles the little storyline there is going on.
  • 2 of the new wrestlers are stuck on a team with the most over face female wrestler so they don't wrestle each other.
  • The best female wrestler is stuck as Naomi's lackey.
  • The matches get more time but there are no stakes to any of them.
  • That stupid butterfly belt.
  • They've just been killing time until the Night of Champions.
  • The storylines haven't changed. They're all bitchy to each other and that's it.
  • Nikki Bella still hasn't decided if she's a heel or a face.
  • They finally tried to give them personalities on Miz TV and it came off like an NKOTB MTV interview.
  • Miz treated them all like a kindergarten class and didn't get his ass kicked
  • Miz buried the entire idea of women's wrestling and still didn't get his ass kicked
  • The champion, Nikki Bella, said that wins & losses don't matter. Then they had a match.
  • Commercial breaks are filled with ads for Total Divas showing the division acting like idiots.
  • Sasha had a match with Nikki Bella and made her tap but it was a bullshit non-title match, which is the least creative way of building hype possible.
  • Because they're stuck on teams they don't get to do their individual entrances in all these tag matches. Good entrances help get wrestlers over. Coming out to the same music we've been hearing on Raw for years doesn't help anyone.
  • Nattie should be out there doing something
  • Tangentially related to this, they've completely regressed Lana's character into a complete idiot to help get Ziggler over.

Bret Hart introduced Sami Zayn but it made sense since they're both Canadian faces in Montreal.

Precisely these and it's frustrating as hell and it's stupid to blame the Raw or Summerslam crowds since they were made up of largely the same people who cheered the shit out of Becky, Charlotte, Sasha and Bayley Saturday night.

Marvel

could never

vzTCea5.gif

WWE won't drop calling their female wrestlers "Divas" until they drop calling their male wrestlers "Superstars."

Like people have pointed out, it's a branding thing. It's recognition and merch. Superstar is also more empowering than Diva. Diva just comes off as almost condescending. TNA didn't do much good during their run, but Knock Outs is such a great name for a female division, considering how you can take the meaning of a Knock Out.

As much as we'd love to have terms wrestler and women, we'll probably never get that.

So what would you guys re-brand the Divas division as? What would you call it?

T_Exige

That's not true at all, and honestly makes no sense. Ronda competing at Mania is a long shot at best. She'll most likely be there, but competing is a different story. And the truth is that Steph and Hunter do want the women to be pushed more. They want that just like they made it happen on NXT, but there's only so much that they have say over, and even they've made mistakes with the booking of it up to this point. I don't think any one person is to blame for the "revolution" not working. It's a symptom of a lot of problems with the structure of WWE and how they try to push things.

ok, I understand that there is some truth about Hunter and Steph.
The NXT women have indeed created buzz and that was not because of Ronda, but because of the great matches and the stories behind it.

But at the same time there is also Vince and his muppets thinking about WM and using this "revolution" to promote other stuff. At WM there will be a "classic" 9/10 womens tag match, with no story.(like Summerslam) and anything related with Steph will get all the spotlight and story.(one way or another Ronda will be involved -> $$)

catching up on like 3 months of NXT this past week - I actually like the tag division, it's got a lot of solid teams in there: face Vaudevillains are GREAT, Enzo is actually an alright worker while keeping the team dynamic, Dawson and Wilder have a ridiculous theme (SAY YEAH) and are surprisingly really competent, and Hype Bros make both guys in the team watchable. Gable and Jordan are great, i'm glad that a side effect of Gable is that JJ gets to do something, because i think he's pretty underrated.

I'm also enjoying Samoa Joe, even if he's not having some AJ Styles-level post-TNA run, he's still having some decent matches and his second theme is pretty good, if not as weirdly hilarious as his first one. Corbin had a video package of him just insulting everyone else, and "whiny cocky asshole" really seems like the best character route for him
¡HarlequinPanic!;176640997 said:
unpopular fued dream matches are pretty fun to think about: I think Miz/Punk could've had a great fued.
Barrett/Punk singles feud as well, imo
It's a much better version of Heavy Rain. I just use it as a reference because there's really nothing else like it. Kind of a mix of that gameplay style and the early Silent Hill games.

The main thing about it, the main draw, is that it's an amazing asshole simulator. You can let people die over the much insignificant shit purely out of spite.
you just sold me on this game, i think. Redbox already has it, so i might just make a late night run

Browny

Banned
I made the mistake of buying Pillars when it went on sale.

I still have Shadowrun to do. And Deus Ex. And all of the G1.

What am I doing with my life etc etc.

So I just went out and bought Until Dawn.

This game better deliver Datazord.

Got swept up in the positive word of mouth and did the same. Odd since Sony haven't said shit about that game for ages now, zero marketing behind it.

Got a sweet deal and only paid $55 compared to $99 at EB, con is having to wait for it in the post :(

i'm pumped up for until dawn also

i just discovered it out of nowhere and now it's the game i want to play the most.

but i don't have a ps4 and i refuse to spend hundreds of dollarinos for a game. is this thing coming out for pc or what?

i'm pumped up for until dawn also

i just discovered it out of nowhere and now it's the game i want to play the most.

but i don't have a ps4 and i refuse to spend hundreds of dollarinos for a game. is this thing coming out for pc or what?

Nope, Sony have been funding that project for years now.

Top Bottom