• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

August Wrasslin |OT| The Sunday of Summer

klonere

Banned
Okay, so after shaking off my shock from both the three minutes of Lucha Underground that I watched, and the shocking bit of racist sexism that darkened the thread earlier, I unpaused the show and watched Vampiro's match. It was, of course, pure garbage wrestling. And not even very good garbage wrestling. Just a very slow-paced garbage match punctuated by the occasional light tube, thumbtacks, and ultimately a flaming table.

But then I think about Vampiro's age, and I think this match showed us that this is how these old fucks should be used. They obviously can't go anymore--Vampiro doing a belly-to-belly spot from the top rope and landing on his feet proved that. But they can bleed, and they can take punishment. Just like when Flair did his first-ever thumbtacks spot a few years ago, I think there is something perversely compelling about seeing veterans get abused. It's almost like now, at the end, wrestling doesn't even put on the pretense of being anything but what it is: abusing their performers like aged cattle being slaughtered to make ground chuck, squeezing whatever little drop of value out of them before they're put down for good.

I just watched that match dream and can confirm I had a raging erection throughout the entirety of the match. I think our societies unspoken hatred of the elderly, who can no longer contribute to the economy in a meaningful way and are nothing more than burdenous bags of flesh, sucking the life out of the youthful workforce, is given color and shape through a "garbage wrestling" match on Lucha Underground.

It is nothing less than a revolutionary physical sociological treatise.

Sweeney Tom, I have an honest question.

Raw spoiler and SOMEWHAT dangerous Owens talk, but it's a legit question and I don't have the answer. Please do not click the spoiler unless you're Sweeney Tom.
Did WWE actually edit out Owens standing up from a chair and it getting stuck on his love handles? See link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wv71k_ZzjYU&feature=youtu.be&t=7m32s

I think someone already mentioned it but I think it was still there, pretty sure nothing from the segment was edited. Harmless botches like that happen surprisingly often (see numerous gifs/videos available on google of people tripping up steps or getting legs caught on ropes) and it didn't really slow down the rest of the segment

Good luck Frecks

sms090812-06.gif

MY BOY. DEAN DOUGLAS. MY OTHER BOY. RP912! Thank you

I haven't seen him on NXT, but I remember him being in "I don't give a shit anymore" shape for a lil bit

e: actually nvm, I looked and it was just this one photo

Ryder-chubby-620x350.jpg

He kinda looks like young Jerry Lawler. Maybe its just the facial hair and the gut

New Brock action figure

aVa3k3F.jpg

That's an avatar worthy photo if I've ever seen one.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I think someone already mentioned it but I think it was still there, pretty sure nothing from the segment was edited. Harmless botches like that happen surprisingly often (see numerous gifs/videos available on google of people tripping up steps or getting legs caught on ropes) and it didn't really slow down the rest of the segment

The reason I wondered was due to Cesaro's joke after it. Interestin'.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Avatar lottery? I'm in. Not sure if there's a limit on avatar subs, but i'm codeined up after a day of migraine so here's five:

Only one and you need to PM it to me. Don't give em away.

Cagey

Banned
As long as Amanda gets that TV deal, that is all that matters.
You god damn right.
Josh is the best guy on there right now , but ZZ will probably win.
His hair is luxurious, he's athletic, he's got the build and the look, he seems to have enough personality. Josh is intriguing. Him and his cardio-loving Mini-Me would make a fun tag team of similar-yet-opposite dudes.

So is Rosa finally done? Are we to expect a freebird baby that will come out in a confederate flag diaper, chest hair and Hayes' glorious hair?

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I love that Taz is still trying to do his photos like the tough guy.

A) You haven't been the 'tough guy' since 2002
B) Everybody knows you weren't actually a tough guy outside of when you bodied Beef

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
He's trying. That's a lot more than you can say for Jericho.

Summoner

So is Rosa finally done? Are we to expect a freebird baby that will come out in a confederate flag diaper, chest hair and Hayes' glorious hair?
Lmao.....when I first heard she was pregnant I thought it was her "anchor baby" (from Hayes) to avoid the next round of cuts.

Since the last name of her baby is not Hayes, I guess even she has her limits on what she's prepared to do to stay in the WWE.

Striker

I love that Taz is still trying to do his photos like the tough guy.

A) You haven't been the 'tough guy' since 2002
B) Everybody knows you weren't actually a tough guy outside of when you bodied Beef
2002? More like 2000 when WWF had Taz look like a total loser to Triple H. ECW Champion jobbed in six minutes.

NoRéN

Lmao.....when I first heard she was pregnant I thought it was her "anchor baby" (from Hayes) to avoid the next round of cuts.

Since the last name of her baby is not Hayes, I guess even she has her limits on what she's prepared to do to stay in the WWE.
Really?

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Taz was never going to make it in WWF, and I'm always surprised when people are surprised how he got treated. He's 5'9". Even Bam Bam was only 6'3". Kurt Angle was a 'small guy' in WWE at 6'0" and Angle had his real life amateur wrestling to make you believe he could beat giant guys. You put Taz up against Rock, you suspend your disbelief. You put him up twice against Rock, you're not buying his character at all. You put him up against Undertaker, which you're going to do by result of not having weight classes and this is assuming he's getting a 'push', and you have a jobber. Taz's style was power and submissions. It's not like he's Rey Mysterio. He works in ECW when 'giants' are as tall as Bam Bam or 911 and you don't see them face off EVERY week and they end those feuds early so you don't go 'hey wait this guy is massive and this other guy is little'

It's why I don't know why people are surprised that I think Owens is fucked. He's a 'power wrestler/brawler' who only looks like a 'big guy' when standing next to Austin Aries. He has no real life accomplishments to make you believe in him more like Angle. He just looks out of place and outclassed in the land of giants. He'd be great if WWE had brackets like WCW did, but people would have to accept that he's not a main eventer and everyone thinks 'their guy' should be a main eventer in WWE.

PInk Tape

Banned

I honestly want to hear how you thought people in this thread would react after reading what you wrote.

Striker

I don't disagree about Taz. Just that he was far better off some place where Vince McMahon wasn't running the show. Sure Taz can careless, though.

Height is a factor for Owens but so is this neckbeard who lives in his uncle's basement playing LoL look he has going on. And a black sleeveless t-shirt with bball shorts. It's horrendous. Far worse look than Reigns who at least has some height and muscle on him. Get that shitty vest off of him. You're not the Bossman.

Kenobi

Wow...don't understand the hate Rosa gets. She's not a wrestler. So what. She's fine...but damn some of you guys are just...I dunno.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Wow...don't understand the hate Rosa gets. She's not a wrestler. So what. She's fine...but damn some of you guys are just...I dunno.

It's a culture of "women are whores" as evidenced in some posts around when Rosa announced her pregnancy.

When she announced her pregnancy - something a lot of people feel is VERY special, and a cause for celebration - instead, it got dragged into "well who fucked her? is she ashamed?"

As long as shit like this happens on the reg in here shit won't change, and I'm disgusted by it. I hope to help change this garbage style of posting by calling out whenever I see some absolute bullshit.

Sigh... I'm confused. Is Rosa popping out a Freebird or was that post as tasteless as I read it?

She's not. She announced her pregnancy, along with a last name. Someone googled him to hate his tattoos.

NoRéN

It's a culture of "women are whores" as evidenced in some posts around when Rosa announced her pregnancy.

When she announced her pregnancy - something a lot of people feel is VERY special, and a cause for celebration - instead, it got dragged into "well who fucked her? is she ashamed?"

As long as shit like this happens on the reg in here shit won't change, and I'm disgusted by it. I hope to help change this garbage style of posting by calling out whenever I see some absolute bullshit.

She's not. She announced her pregnancy, along with a last name. Someone googled him to hate his tattoos.
Holy shit. Glad I missed it.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
First ep of Table for 3 just popped on the Network:

http://network.wwe.com/video/v339009483

WrestleMania icons Roddy Piper Gene Okerlund and Paul Orndorff discuss their favorite pranks and stories from their Hall of Fame careers.

Right now it's a little weird but the link will work soon.

Dude, I don't know women personal life. All I know is that she had a rumor past with Hayes and was curious if she's knocked up with his kid. Is she dating a wrestler? I watch wrestling, I don't live and breathe it.

Edit: Thanks Vince!

I could be wrong but I don't believe the dude is a wrestler and obviously her baby is not with Hayes.

Kenobi

Well, it's appreciated.

Anyway, I had never watched Ronda Rousey fight previously until a few days ago. Obviously she is a major star since I see her everywhere outside of UFC, but holy shit she's amazing. I can see why WWE wants to make some cash with her. It's too bad that the WWE alternative to "female badass" is Stephanie McMahon. I think that says it all about the divas.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Well, it's appreciated.

Anyway, I had never watched Ronda Rousey fight previously until a few days ago. Obviously she is a major star since I see her everywhere outside of UFC, but holy shit she's amazing. I can see why WWE wants to make some cash with her. It's too bad that the WWE alternative to "female badass" is Stephanie McMahon. I think that says it all about the divas.

She's pretty amazing. Rosuey has turned into one hell of a huge part of culture and she's helping empower women and showing people how badass they can be. It's sorely needed. I'm really, really happy for her and she has some SERIOUS crossover appeal.

I don't disagree about Taz. Just that he was far better off some place where Vince McMahon wasn't running the show. Sure Taz can careless, though.

Height is a factor for Owens but so is this neckbeard who lives in his uncle's basement playing LoL look he has going on. And a black sleeveless t-shirt with bball shorts. It's horrendous. Far worse look than Reigns who at least has some height and muscle on him. Get that shitty vest off of him. You're not the Bossman.

The farmer's tan he has on his arms are terrible. Just go to the beach on an off day, man.

Kenobi

She's pretty amazing. Rosuey has turned into one hell of a huge part of culture and she's helping empower women and showing people how badass they can be. It's sorely needed. I'm really, really happy for her and she has some SERIOUS crossover appeal.

I was watching her fight and I was thinking she's like a cat. Fast, powerful, and she got two shots on her opponent which included one on the way down. Wow.

Another thing that I never thought of before is that this pay per view were two women on the MAIN EVENT of said pay per view. I've watched many events in my lifetime, including boxing, wrestling, and any other big fight kind of thing and that was the first time I witnessed it. What I was impressed with is that I didn't think much of it until I thought about it after. It was really cool. She made me a fan. I have to watch her every time now.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I'm saying Kevin Owens probably shouldn't be a 'badass brawler cool guy rebel prize fighter' and more like a 'fan who gets to fight in the WWE'

tumblr_lyjup7xyte1r5k835o1_500.jpg

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I was watching her fight and I was thinking she's like a cat. Fast, powerful, and she got two shots on her opponent which included one on the way down. Wow.

Another thing that I never thought of before is that this pay per view were two women on the MAIN EVENT of said pay per view. I've watched many events in my lifetime, including boxing, wrestling, and any other big fight kind of thing and that was the first time I witnessed it. What I was impressed with is that I didn't think much of it until I thought about it after. It was really cool. She made me a fan. I have to watch her every time now.

Around 900k buys. REALLY strong.

Top Bottom