• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

August Wrasslin' |OT2| Bummed Boys Bashing Big Balls By Beach-shore

anigif_enhanced-32261-1411603209-13.gif

I miss Mark

Draxal

Has Main Roster Bayley?

Not the NXT version of Bayley, but the version that had matches featuring that bad Mania fatal four way, the bad kendo stick pole, the roll on Charlotte, the dance until Nia knocks her out, etc

ed: I'm just saying if we're going to keep fondly remembering the highlights that were years (plural) ago, which people are clearly doing here, where's people saying "Dolph should still get fair chances, remember Survivor Series and the Del Rio double turn?" or "Keep KENTA around for years, remember 2011 when he didn't get hurt?"

She had good matches against Charlotte this year.

Enzo got fucked in that he's a wrestler whose only existence is to get whaled on and then do a hot tag, and he is going to get exposed even further now.

I'm not the biggest fan of Bayley (I do think Dakota Kai does a better job of her role); but she was made to look awful.

Has Main Roster Bayley?

Not the NXT version of Bayley, but the version that had matches featuring that bad Mania fatal four way, the bad kendo stick pole, the roll on Charlotte, the dance until Nia knocks her out, etc

ed: I'm just saying if we're going to keep fondly remembering the highlights that were years (plural) ago, which people are clearly doing here, where's people saying "Dolph should still get fair chances, remember Survivor Series and the Del Rio double turn?" or "Keep KENTA around for years, remember 2011 when he didn't get hurt?"
I'll never forget seeing Sasha/Bayley III live

On a Raw in Chicago where the story was Bayley didn't want to fight back so they walked around and did nothing for a while

Has Main Roster Bayley?

I think the point was that Bayley has(had) potential, where Enzo NEVER had potential.
But yeah, she's on the road to Dolph Ziggler's wouldve/couldve/shouldve status.

jobber

Would let Tony Parker sleep with his wife
BAYLEY'S CHARACTER DEVELOPMENT TO WINNING THE TITLE FROM THAT MEEK, NAIVE INITIAL CHARACTER WAS WHY SHE, AND THE BOOKING WAS SO GOOD

FUCK

FUCKKKKK

YOU STUPID POSTER

I never took her as a serious character. I still don't. Nothing against the person in that role..,but her gimmick is she hugs people and has inflatable tube men. Like how can you take anyone seriously that does that.

Perfect example. The Bushwhackers went around licking people's head...joke team...but as the Sheepherders, they were vicious, evil, and pretty intimidating.

By the time she arrived on national television, among her fans in the audience, that story ended and she achieved legitimacy. That story got told on WWE programming under the WWE imprint, not an armory in Yonkers. There's nothing left to tell. Her fanbase would not have accepted Bayley getting dropped to the bottom, presented as a joke who needed to show her value, without cries of her getting "buried."

You do get that she was massively over when she debuted on RAW? She lost her fanbase because she lost everything that made her likeable on NXT rather than building on it.

I like how you say Bayley isn't over because of creative but Bliss only works because of creative.

You can't have it both ways

I don't see how that's having it both ways? I think Bayley lost all her heat because she was booked terribly, I think Alexa was booked strong and gained heat for it. I also think people can get over in spite of being booked weak, and I think they can fail when their booked strong. I'm also not discrediting her mic skills, she's an okay promo, but the one segment where she wasn't just getting talk about her strong booking she put on one of the worst segments of the year.

Having things both ways would be how you have huge issues with Cena's promo last night, but think Bliss is super strong in promos when she does the same thing where she calls out people because she's been booked strong and can just laugh off any of their responses because of it.

Foggy

Bayley was on the main roster for a considerable amount of time and while not a transcendental superstar that people had hoped for, she was mostly respectable and still well-liked. This turn for the worse was not caused by a thousand cuts of Bayley stumbling along the way, unable to find her footing. It was grade A shit-tier booking. Grade A shit tier writing. Grade A shit tier protection.

This notion that talent is SUPPOSED to excel in spite the WWE machinery is fucking ridiculously unacceptable and is only supported by the fact that the WWE has set a standard for its own incompetence. The idea that we accept that as the standard and the talent should have to rise above it is toxic and idiotic. It may be a cold reality that they need to do that to thrive, but it shouldn't be used as a measuring stick for their worth or capability.

Fox318

Bayley is proof that Vince doesn't actually know how to make a product hot.

Find me a wrestler from the ground up Vince can take credit for?

Rock and Brock got more over outside of the WWE.
Hogan had the AWA.

WWE Movies did a Bruce Lee biopic? whut da heyl?

That Bruce Lee film that just came out was them? I kinda liked how the trailer looked but didn't see it because the rest of the week of films was bad, and I'm saving my money to see IT 2 or 3 times. Still that looked pretty good

Cagey

Banned
You do get that she was massively over when she debuted on RAW? She lost her fanbase because she lost everything that made her likeable on NXT rather than building on it.

I addressed that, you missed it. What was something that made her likeable on NXT that could have continued on Raw? She wasn't a joke character underdog anymore, that story progressed from start to finish. By the time she arrived on national television, WWE had positioned her as one of the Four Horsewomen and all that nonsense. If you build on where she left off in NXT, you're building off "legitimate championship contender who lost on her way out to someone better."

If she were positioned at the bottom of the totem pole in order to tell another bland underdog story, people in the audience, like people here, would have complained about her getting buried and getting booked badly.

There's no booking that saves this character.

And the above is all generous criticism of Bayley: just blaming the character rather than the performer. As noted, there are bad performers who perform badly and receive "bad" booking yet haven't lost fan support in such a dramatic fashion to get booed while talking about a real injury on live television in an arena full of what would've otherwise been her staunchest supporters.

Also, Bayley is and has always been awful and most things about NXT are incredibly overrated.

romannolookfistbump.webm

I addressed that, you missed it. What was something that made her likeable on NXT that could have continued on Raw?

I addressed that when I pointed that she was hugely over when she debuted because of who she was on NXT? She could essentially just be the babyface who loves the younger fans because she was one once and almost always did the right thing no matter how hard people tried to screw her over to be a role-model to them.

Becky's still over on SD despite not being used in forever because that's pretty much her character without the focus on younger fans. It's not hard.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Name one person who has gained anything from feuding with Alexa

Because even Naomi's babyface personality makes Carmella look like an even more vile heel. Same thing with Becky and James Ellsworth. The Charlotte/Sasha hotshotting shit got real old but the idea seemed to be to make them both look good.

Where as Alexa's gimmick seems to be a 4 foot tall burial machine that dominates her opponent in the ring(which looks fucking horrible by the way) and on the mic. How exciting.

jobber

Would let Tony Parker sleep with his wife
Lets shoot from the knees in a prone position:
No one that has been a star in the current era of NXT has done jack shit on either show.

Seth and Roman are not in that group.

AJ skipped NXT

BRAUN was NXT as a Rose Bud. He was working with Brock a couple of years ago at the PC but never put on tv as a wrestler.

Club: I don't even know anymore..but they were tag champs..something the hottest NXT tag team in Enzo and Cass failed to do.

They tried to run with Finn and he got injured..he even beat Roman Reigns CLEAN.They had to give the title to KO to tell a story...and KO was slaughtered by Goldberg.

The women's titles have been passed around like a joint.

Nakamura could've skipped NXT but noooo and now he's losing to Jinder...Finn beat Jinder easy.

You better pray Roode lays low and doesn't get over without Vince's ok.

Bronx-Man

Banned
Name one person who has gained anything from feuding with Alexa

Because even Naomi's babyface personality makes Carmella look like an even more vile heel. Same thing with Becky and James Ellsworth. The Charlotte/Sasha hotshotting shit got real old but the idea seemed to be to make them both look good.

Where as Alexa's gimmick seems to be a 4 foot tall burial machine that dominates her opponent in the ring(which looks fucking horrible by the way) and on the mic. How exciting.
You don't understand, she's hot and shrill so she can get away with being green as gooseshit

Owens is probably the best thing to come out of NXT. I'm completely excluding his indy past because I don't know anything about that besides him calling someone the n word.

Wait. Sami too. Sami is good...And Neville.

Cagey

Banned
I addressed that when I pointed that she was hugely over when she debuted because of who she was on NXT? She could essentially just be the babyface who loves the younger fans because she was one once and almost always did the right thing no matter how hard people tried to screw her over to be a role-model to them.

But that's who she was when she arrived at Raw.

In what should have surprised no one, cynical adult sports entertainment fans like the lot of us didn't care for that character at all. Children weren't the ones booing an injured Bayley in Toronto. She started getting booed long before then but that was the obvious nadir.

Thus, it proves my point: taking her NXT schtick and using it on national television was not going to work because it's been done and hasn't worked.

For better or worse, people watching NXT will treat NXT as completely earnest. Those same people will then watch the nationally televised product and talk about how awesome it is when wrasslers shoot on each other and then cheer the villains and boo the heroes, even the same performers who they previously treated at face value in NXT. It's a strange phenomenon for sure.

NXT has consistent, simple stories and consistent characters.

WWE has so little logical consistency or character consistency I have to assume it is booked by a senile old man.

Top Bottom