• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 10 - Node Country for Old Men

Status
Not open for further replies.

jambo

So...Foxtel ties up Game of Thrones so its the only outlet for it till the disc release, eliminating the timely iTunes option.

That really seems like a bright idea to give Foxtel a monopoly on the content for a show which supposedly is torrented by Australians more than any other nation.

It's so cheap though, only* $74 a month!

*plus installation, equipment costs and other account fees.

So...Foxtel ties up Game of Thrones so its the only outlet for it till the disc release, eliminating the timely iTunes option.

That really seems like a bright idea to give Foxtel a monopoly on the content for a show which supposedly is torrented by Australians more than any other nation.
... and HBO doesn't really care about torrenting. Surely Foxtel could somehow have secured exclusive rights to be the distributor in Australia, getting a few cents from each iTunes purchase?

I don't know, nothing Foxtel does seems to make sense to me anyway.

Quasar

It's so cheap though, only* $74 a month!

*plus installation, equipment costs and other account fees.

Is it that bloody high? abandoned Foxtel years ago and back then I was paying what I thought was stupidly expensive money of 90$ that included two STBs (which I think was 45$ of the 90$ I was paying)

I wonder if/what the price would be to see GoT with the Foxtel streaming service thing.

EDIT: Looks like Foxtel is charging $50/month to allow people to stream GoT with their Foxtel Play service. Of course the device range is stupidly limited.

Anyone bought one of those cheap knockoff Xbox 360 wireless dongle for PC things? I already have an official Microsoft one, but want one for the HTPC in the lounge room.

Yep. Best $10ish I'd spent in a while.

THE BEST NEWS EVER

Seven axes Today Tonight on east coast

A shame the same journo's will be around but maybe they'll actually do something with integrity for once.

Nice.

What a joke. They really do have no clue, oh well their loss.

Because we also have a 1/2 local news in Canberra following Channel 9, ACA is shifted to Gem at 7pm and the sooner it's gone the better! The Canberra news also comes from Wollongong, but that's another story!

Watching the Super bowl, what's the point of having a HD channel when you only give it the same bandwidth as AM radio? Maybe they should jam another shopping network in there to reduce it to a single all encompassing macro block.

Watching the Super bowl, what's the point of having a HD channel when you only give it the same bandwidth as AM radio? Maybe they should jam another shopping network in there to reduce it to a single all encompassing macro block.

It's such a waste. Atleast they made a vague effort to put it on in HD. Why the networks don't put all sport on in proper HD is beyond me.

Yep. Best $10ish I'd spent in a while.
Yep had zero hassles. Windows seems to recognize it as the normal one.
The only hassle I had was drivers. had to dig around teh MS site to find drivers that worked with it on 64b Vista/7/8
Awesome. Thanks guys. Will definitely pick one up.

According to the stream I'm watching at work (which just rebroadcasts live TV), it's a 1440x1080 stream. So... it is HD? Odd that it's coming down as 4:3 though. Maybe that's just my stream.

Anyone bought one of those cheap knockoff Xbox 360 wireless dongle for PC things? I already have an official Microsoft one, but want one for the HTPC in the lounge room.

I also think I need to upgrade my gaming PC, I have a feeling the Q6600 is struggling to send the video using in-home streaming. Managed to play 4 hours of The Cave via in-home streaming yesterday though, so it's not terrible or anything.
The knockoff's are just using the same components so there won't be any real difference unless you get a dodgy batch. Just need to download the drivers from Microsoft like you would anyway.

Q6600 should be fine with the added stress, have you tested to see what CPU usage is like under regular load vs. load plus streaming?

ALSO HOW WELL DOES IT CRYSIS?

They need to get Steam Streaming working on a WiiU so we can all say THE WIIU PLAYS CRYSIS YO
PRAISE EA FOR THE SUPPORT
UNPRECEDENTED
PRAISE TO EA

The in home streaming thing is really cool. I was playing Football Manager on the main PC, had to go cook etc, so thought I would give it a try. Worked straight away and a decent enough quality (I play FM windowed, so it looked a bit weird and stretched on the laptop screen)

Performance was good though, even the match engine was of a decent enough quality.
Sounds like lag is minimal, back in the day Gaikai was enjoyable even with the added 0.5 second of lag so cutting that right down would be almost seamless.

How quick is the process of switching the stream of the game from the PC to other devices? I can imagine walking around the house playing a P&C on the tablet and then hitting a button as you sit down at the PC and see it flick up onto the monitor seamlessly eventually.

That's pretty much why I really liked The Wolverine. Hell, even the wife liked it and she just watches these things because I make her.
Yeah I really enjoyed Wolverine. Felt like a comic book series rather than a EXPLOSION YELLING EXPLOSION AHHHHHHHHHHHHH! action movie. Aside from the action movie finale battle which was mind numbing.

HBO happy to leave money on the table obviously. Eh.

I guess they checked how much revenue they made on last season through iTunes in Australia and told Foxtel to match that figure.

The knockoff's are just using the same components so there won't be any real difference unless you get a dodgy batch. Just need to download the drivers from Microsoft like you would anyway.
Yeah, I bet they're made in the same factory on the same production line, just with cheaper components. Is usually the way.

Q6600 should be fine with the added stress, have you tested to see what CPU usage is like under regular load vs. load plus streaming?
A game that runs at 60fps will end up streaming at about 20fps and 30fps some times. Haven't done much looking into where the problem is yet, haven't tried that many games either. My PC connects to a gigabit switch, but then there's quite a long 10m crappy old cable connecting to a 100Mb switch, and then to the HTPC. Although, I think I was only hitting 30fps with my work laptop (i5) connecting directly to the gigabit switch. So, my guess is the Q6600 since it's the only real constant.

Yeah I really enjoyed Wolverine. Felt like a comic book series rather than a EXPLOSION YELLING EXPLOSION AHHHHHHHHHHHHH! action movie. Aside from the action movie finale battle which was mind numbing.
Same. Once they go to
the castle or secret bunker or whatever it was
, my brain checked out.

Rizzi

I got rid of Foxtel last year. Horribly expensive and not that great.
I've replaced it with Hulu and Netflix, which are a fraction of the cost and way better quality.

Exciting news that doesn't go anywhere!

One free chupa chup was unexpectedly delivered to me where I work (for the dole) and the delivery was to my name and I signed for it.

Also there were other things in the box and I did order them for where I work (I always order stationery) but those aren't the important parts.

The chupa chup was alone in a paper bag inside the delivery box, with the company I ordered it from printed on the bag so it doesn't seem like a horrible mishap where a person was separated from their chupa chup.

Quasar

My only concern with Netflix is getting it running on 360 or PS3 in Australia and how much bandwidth it takes.

Its easier on PS3. And you don't have to pay for gold to get it running.

What I do is use a DNS proxy service, Unblock Us, which along with allowing access to US services also allows access to UK services like the BBC iPlayer. With that all you need to do is use their DNS settings in the PS3 or other device.

I don't know really know what the bandwidth cost is like. I haven't noticed anything much, but I have a 400GB DSL plan.

lexi

Banned
My only concern with Netflix is getting it running on 360 or PS3 in Australia and how much bandwidth it takes.

Getting it running on consoles is a snap (At least the PS3 anyway) The bandwidth thing is of greater concern. I will as of this week have an unlimited cable plan (I know right?) so my days of watching internet usage like a hawk are nearly over.

jambo

The missus has Netflix set up on her PS3 and we've hardly been watching Foxtel, so we got our service cut down to the $10 a month holding option.

Basically lets us continue to use the cable and the box, but we get no packages. Means we get to keep all of our recordings, plus the TV it's hooked up to doesn't have an antenna, so we can get F2A over the cable still.

Then one day if we want it again we just pick our packages and go.

Manax

:) I was just teasing. Give netflix and unblock-us a free trial, it's great value.

Yeah started doing this late last year and have never looked back. I did convert to a chrome extension called "Hola unblocker" which was a free service you could use for netflix however I couldn't use the windows 8/ps3/ps4 apps without using a DNS through the router so I ended up paying for unblock-us

apparently the web app for netflix doesnt support 5.1 audio (main reason I switched back)

Card Boy

Banned

Yeah they wonder why it's so pirated when shit like this happens.

Dead Man

Q&A is back. Tonight's discussion starting off with Abbott's criticism of the ABC.

Holy shit!

Mind blown!

Jesus christ, what a fucking moron.

In other happy news, Telegraph keeping it classy:
Anyway, has this thread covered this piece of shit from the horrible Australian newpaper, Daily Telegraph?

Philip-Seymour-Hoffman-Daily-Telegraph-Kids-Grieve-Junkie-Actor-Dad-619-386.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom