• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 10 - Node Country for Old Men

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dryk

I can fix that.

8cTdwsL.png

I've... actually only seen Aladdin and Wayne's world.
Hmm, I'd assumed that I was the youngest but you're a bit younger

Ah I see it now.

Although you need to remember that Yoda was on the big screen only a year ago! Phantom Menace 3D re-release.

Also don't forget the TV series!

She must have lived a sheltered life. Poor woman.

Dryk

Rooster's even younger!

Yuss.
I have a warped perception of reality. I skipped three years in school so I was in 4th year uni in a 2nd year class before I had peers my own age. The constant nagging feeling that you're the youngest never really wears off :\

That 20/20 match was an outright embarrassment. Call off the last match and just let the poms go home already. Series is over, are people really going to watch it?

I have a warped perception of reality. I skipped three years in school so I was in 4th year uni in a 2nd year class before I had peers my own age. The constant nagging feeling that you're the youngest never really wears off :\

Oh a smarty are we?
All that smartness and you can't even convince RATM to record another album.
What's the use of ya.

I don't apply myself, it's a character flaw. You would probably never tell that I was skipped so much from my grades.

Ah so we have 2 things in common!
RATM don't give a shit that we deserve another masterpiece, and a total lack of motivation to meet our fullest potential.
I like you.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
Top grossing films (U.S.)
Rank Title Studio Director Actors Gross
1. 2001: A Space Odyssey Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer Stanley Kubrick Keir Dullea, Gary Lockwood, William Sylvester, and Douglas Rain $68,700,000[1]
2. Funny Girl Columbia Pictures William Wyler Barbra Streisand, Omar Sharif, Kay Medford, Anne Francis, and Walter Pidgeon $58,500,000[2]
3. The Love Bug Walt Disney Productions Robert Stevenson Dean Jones, Michele Lee, David Tomlinson, Buddy Hackett, and Herbie $51,264,000[3]
4. The Odd Couple Paramount Pictures Gene Saks Jack Lemmon, Walter Matthau, John Fielder, and Herb Edelman $44,527,234[4]
5. Bullitt Warner Bros.-Seven Arts Peter Yates Steve McQueen, Robert Vaughn, and Jacqueline Bisset $42,300,873[5]
6. Romeo and Juliet Paramount Pictures Franco Zeffirelli Leonard Whiting, Olivia Hussey, Milo O'Shea, Pat Heywood, John McEnery, Robert Stephens, Michael York, and Bruce Robinson $38,901,218[6]
7. Oliver! Columbia Pictures Carol Reed Mark Lester, Ron Moody, Oliver Reed, Jack Wild, Shani Wallis, Harry Secombe, Sheila White, Joseph O'Connor, Hugh Griffith, Peggy Mount, Leonard Rossiter, and Hylda Baker $37,402,877[7]
8. Rosemary's Baby Paramount Pictures Roman Polanski Mia Farrow, Ruth Gordon, John Cassavetes, Sidney Blackmer, Maurice Evans, Ralph Bellamy, and Angela Dorian $33,395,426[8]
9. Planet of the Apes 20th Century Fox Franklin J. Schaffner Charlton Heston, Roddy McDowall, Kim Hunter, Maurice Evans, James Whitmore, James Daly, and Linda Harrison $32,589,624[9]
10. Night of the Living Dead Walter Reade Organization George A. Romero Duane Jones and Judith O'Dea $30,000,000[10]

Markot with the best list of all.

well played.

Aw, would have been nice to meet you. Yes, I am going tomorrow and your expert advice is most welcome.
Well, let's start with ciders. Golden Axe*, Lucky Duck, True South and Mountain Goat all do good ciders.

Two Birds - Taco: A light beer made with corn, will probably go down well tomorrow.
Cavalier - Berliner Weisse: A light, tart, slightly sour beer. Haven't had theirs but I love Berliners, not for everyone.
Feral - Try the Hop Hog. It's popular for a reason. They may have the barrel aged one there too.
Killer Sprocket - Amber Ale: A big malty beer, not super bitter.
Mildura Brewery: If they have the saison with, I think, orange blossom, I've heard good things.
Stone and Wood will have their Pacific Ale, try that.
Grand Ridge - Supershine (or Moonshine): These are pretty big, but really different to the others.
Cavalier - Imperial Stout: For that matter, try this too. Maybe not much and maybe only if you're not too hot (this and the previous ones from Grand Ridge)
3 Ravens - Dark: Tastes dark, slightly burnt, and bacony.
Southern Bay - Le Petit Tronc. Just try it. Yes it's meant to taste like that. Or, Metal Head if they don't have Tronc.

Actually, try anything BrewCult has, and get him to talk to you about it (and he will). I bet Monster Mash will there too (same guys as the Golden Axe guys), try both of theirs.

You may not like a lot of those, if they're even there, but I think they're all good examples of a wide variety of styles.

Good luck! I suggest writing notes (either on your phone, using Untappd or a notepad if you're feeling adventurous) so you'll remember a week later what you liked.

* Yes, named after the game, the wife of the dude who makes the cider is a game developer.

LOL, you better hope not. Beards for everyone. Girls too.

One down, one to go. :p

Speaking of beards, http://9gag.com/gag/apq689M

Well, let's start with ciders. Golden Axe*, Lucky Duck, True South and Mountain Goat all do good ciders.

Two Birds - Taco: A light beer made with corn, will probably go down well tomorrow.
Cavalier - Berliner Weisse: A light, tart, slightly sour beer. Haven't had theirs but I love Berliners, not for everyone.
Feral - Try the Hop Hog. It's popular for a reason. They may have the barrel aged one there too.
Killer Sprocket - Amber Ale: A big malty beer, not super bitter.
Mildura Brewery: If they have the saison with, I think, orange blossom, I've heard good things.
Stone and Wood will have their Pacific Ale, try that.
Grand Ridge - Supershine (or Moonshine): These are pretty big, but really different to the others.
Cavalier - Imperial Stout: For that matter, try this too. Maybe not much and maybe only if you're not too hot (this and the previous ones from Grand Ridge)
3 Ravens - Dark: Tastes dark, slightly burnt, and bacony.
Southern Bay - Le Petit Tronc. Just try it. Yes it's meant to taste like that. Or, Metal Head if they don't have Tronc.

Actually, try anything BrewCult has, and get him to talk to you about it (and he will). I bet Monster Mash will there too (same guys as the Golden Axe guys), try both of theirs.

You may not like a lot of those, if they're even there, but I think they're all good examples of a wide variety of styles.

Good luck! I suggest writing notes (either on your phone, using Untappd or a notepad if you're feeling adventurous) so you'll remember a week later what you liked.

* Yes, named after the game, the wife of the dude who makes the cider is a game developer.

Thanks heaps! Yeah I was going to note everything I liked and didn't like for future reference. Will report back in the evening with the results.

EDIT:

This is the event map, I don't see 3 ravens and monster mash.

This is the event map, I don't see 3 ravens and monster mash.
3 Ravens are on the exhibitor list, maybe they pulled out. I suggested that Monster Mash may be there because they're the same people who make Golden Axe, but I guess there's no guarantee of that.

Also remember to ask them to serve you water, it's super easy to get hammered at these things. :/

2001 had a rep of taking a long time (years) to make its money back. It was one of the earliest films I can remember seeing in the cinema. My dad took my bro and I when I was around 6 when it was re-released after Star Wars was a hit. We walked out during the stargate sequence.

It was a mutual decision. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KqL1dqIyYwc

I don't get what the 14 year before you were born thing is meant to be but I got North by Northwest in mine so pretty pleased with that.

I'm ordering my GDC pass today. Woo. At this stage, I'm planning to drive down to San Francisco. Might need to save up a Bombcast or two for the 12 hour drive.

senahorse

Shamelessly cross-posting. The new bikes saw some real dirt today, well, just a taste anyway. Here we are at the entrance to a local (ish) forest, my bike and my girlfriend on her new bike.

carpark1_zps806f43bc.jpg~original

And here is the entrace to the main forestry roads.

Forestryentrance_zps90ecce65.jpg~original

That tame little hill is not as tame as it looks, it got goddam steep real quick. And the stock tyres on our bikes didn't hold up well. It was my girlfriends first off-road experience and she stayed upright :)

Quasar

Seriously looking at the Asus EE Box EB1037 as a HTPC. Assuming the Australian markup isn't too high. Though I need to see some reports on whether its grunty enough for transcoding / can pass lossless audio to an AVR.

Rezbit

Speaking of beer, stopped at the Melbgaf local for one. Sampled a few and went with a stone and wood ale, apparently voted second best craft beer in Australia. Initial burst of fruitiness followed by a lingering hint of bitterness. Overall verdict: delicious.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
Speaking of beer, stopped at the Melbgaf local for one. Sampled a few and went with a stone and wood ale, apparently voted second best craft beer in Australia. Initial burst of fruitiness followed by a lingering hint of bitterness. Overall verdict: delicious.

Free on the 9th?

It hurts my brain that yours do not.

SA ones are one year. if you're enrolled the next year you simply go to campus central and they put a little sticker on your card

same

yeah when kritz came up for the kritz meet i got that as the last round. really surprised at how much i enjoyed that for someone that doesnt like beer

Got up to the last boss in Guacamelee but CBF since it's hot and I don't feel like learning his patterns. Time for a beer I think.

Breakfast at East Elevation was pretty great. I had black pudding with poached eggs, and a cold drip coffee.

Left with a couple of bars of Monseiur Truffe single origin chocolate that they make there (and not in that "we make our own chocolate" way that so many say, and then buy in Callebaut and just melt/temper it).

Also, the cider we made on Thursday is fermenting now! Yeah! Wasn't sure about the yeast since it's half an open packet that's been open in the fridge for 6+ months.

Sampled a few and went with a stone and wood ale, apparently voted second best craft beer in Australia.
Pacific Ale was actually on the top of that list* for a couple of years running. The top three now have sat in those same positions for the past three years.

* Like the JJJ Hottest 100, the stuff at the top may not be the most critically interesting or best, but isn't super commercial and is popular with the masses. The only two I'm surprised at in the top 20 are #7 and #19. Not because they're bad but because I didn't expect they'd be very popular.

You're delicious.
miss you

r1chard

Did someone say board gaming and beer?

Played a heckuva lot of Starbound with my daughter today; have made it to the X sector and we're still having fun building and looting and exploring. Not sure the game'll have much replay value once we get to "the end" as the environments, for all they're different, are all very same-y. Haven't seen any of the really different "dungeons" yet (like the huge trees or airships).

Also, did the 2.5 hour session at Bayswater Roller City this arvo - their aircon works really well for a place that size, and they only just got a new floor laid down so it was quite nice to skate on. A buncha fun. Just a shame their skate supplier is really slow at the moment. Was looking forward to buying my own skates today but had to rent 'cos the shipment hasn't arrived yet. Ho hum.

My, this Hawthorn Pale Ale is quite yummy. And there goes the last of the 6 pack.

Was looking forward to buying my own skates today but had to rent 'cos the shipment hasn't arrived yet. Ho hum.
I kinda wish I hadn't thrown out that set of $350 Roches roller blades I had. I mean, I almost never used them (maybe a dozen times in 10 years), and I was terrible when I did, but it still feels like a waste...

So here's my beer/cider intake of the day:

1) Mildura orange blossom.
2) Lucky duck Apple cider.
3) Southern bay ocean ale (No Tronc or Metal Head).

Attended a seminar, 'meet the local brewers'. Hendo from Brew cult was there, damn that guy talks a lot. Yes, there were jokes about corona and carlton draught.

4) Southern bay - Requiem uber pale pilsner.
5) Odyssey tavern - Calypso pale ale.
6) Little creatures IPA 6.4 % alc.
7) Prickly Moses Chainsaw - organic beer made from rain water, ella hops, wheat. A Palette cleanser.
8) Brew cult 'hendo's beer' - Hop zone.
9) Bellarine brewing co. - Two wives chocolate stout.

10) True south apple cider.
11) Mountain goat steam ale (they didn't bring their cider).
12) 3 ravens stout (avoided the dark, thanks for the bacon warning) :p
13) Golden axe apple cider slushie.
14) Two birds golden ale (No Taco beer).
15) Stone and wood Pacific ale.
16) Prickly Moses blueberry beer.
17) Monster mash Hopped out red.
18) Golden Axe Apple cider.

The golden axe/monster mash guys were really cool. I asked them about the naming of the cider and the guy was very happy to chat about how his brother's wife came up with the name and he had no idea it was a video game. They also gave me some free cider refills. :)

All in all it was fun day and I really enjoyed the festival. The live music was okay but the beer cabaret with local geelong performers was probably the best piece of entertainment. Crowd was lovely, everyone was well behaved and enjoying the beers.

I liked everything that I tried. Top 3 would have to be Golden Axe apple cider, Stone and wood pacific ale and Monster mash.

Thanks for the recommendations cods. I'm probably never going to drink a mass produced beer ever again.

1) Mildura orange blossom.
Jealous!

Hendo from Brew cult was there, damn that guy talks a lot.

That he does (I warned you :p)! He'll tell you pretty damned specific information about how me makes his own stuff if you ask too. Very open. Great guy IMO.

Top 3 would have to be Golden Axe apple cider, Stone and wood pacific ale and Monster mash.
Told you Monster Mash would be there!

Thanks for the recommendations cods. I'm probably never going to drink a mass produced beer ever again.
Hope I didn't steer you wrong! Also that last sentence brought a smile to my face, it makes it all worth it. :p

Also, no Two Birds Taco? Damn! It's not one of their 'regulars', but they seem to have it a lot. I bet they were asked a ton about it today.

Shaneus

RLgzNyE.png

Is this that Mildura one? It mentions orange blossom in the description.

I need to get back into ciders, too. I'm loving the shit out of Flying Brick, but I can never find it anywhere. Fuck, these boutique drinks are hard to find :(

RLgzNyE.png

Probably not. Tons of craft breweries do keg-only batches because it's cheaper and easier than bottling, and they're great for test batches (or promo ones, where you might do 50-100L for a particular bar etc).

Pretty sure the orange blossom one is a saison, too, not a wheat. There's a bit of background behind the Mildura specials, but I won't go into it here.

Edit: Looks like it's now elderflower saison, the original seems to have been orange blossom?

RLgzNyE.png

I think they are the same, because when I asked if they had Orange blossom, the guy said it's the same as the honey one. Not sure if wheat or saison.

That he does (I warned you :p)! He'll tell you pretty damned specific information about how me makes his own stuff if you ask too. Very open. Great guy IMO.

Yeah he was cool. He was warning everyone about the 90 day expiry of his beer, saying he will hunt anyone down who sells his stuff after the expiry date because it won't taste the same and would disrepute his brand.

There was also a discussion about how brewers get taxed a lot more than wine growers simply because they are not 'farmers' and don't get any subsidies from the federal govt.

Hope I didn't steer you wrong! Also that last sentence brought a smile to my face, it makes it all worth it. :p

Not at all. Most of these craft beers will now be selling through Dan Murphy's, so can be easily purchased. Golden axe only sell to specific pubs/hotels, and closest one to me is in Werribee.

I think they are the same, because when I asked if they had Orange blossom, the guy said it's the same as the honey one. Not sure if wheat or saison.
Ah, in that case, was probably the wheat. Saison usually have a 'funky' taste. Difficult to explain, but once you've had it you'd recognise it.

Yeah he was cool. He was warning everyone about the 90 day expiry of his beer, saying he will hunt anyone down who sells his stuff after the expiry date because it won't taste the same and would disrepute his brand.
This is a pretty big thing with many craft brewers. However, it should be noted many beers (including one of Hendo's! The porter with balsamic vinegar) benefit from aging. Sours, big Belgians (dubbels, quads), stouts, porters to name a few, can be aged for years and will taste better with age. Lighter stuff like lagers, saisons, IPAs, etc should be drunk fresh. Hops mellow very quickly and in a hoppy beer can fade fast.

It can be difficult to know what should be aged. Most craft brewers are happy to provide advice. I left one of my homebrews (IIPA) for a year and really noticed how the hops mellowed.

Dan's range is getting better, but you'll find a lot of one offs go to specialty places.

Dead Man

Pathetic stuff:

Adelaide Fringe Festival won't cancel show 'Come Heckle Christ' despite complaints from Christian Democratic Party
Adelaide Fringe Festival organisers say they will not cancel a Melbourne comedian's show that has come under fire as being anti-Christian.

Josh Ladgrove's one-man show, Come Heckle Christ, will feature at the festival later this month despite more than a dozen official complaints.

The show begins with Ladgrove, who has long hair and a beard, arriving on stage in flowing robes and sticky taped to a makeshift crucifix.

However, Reverend Fred Nile from the Christian Democratic Party in New South Wales has taken to Twitter to query why the South Australian Government and BankSA were supporting "anti-Christian hate".

He says "free speech does not justify blasphemy" and has urged people to email both the State Government and BankSA and ask them to stop the show.

Why is @sagovau & @banksa sponsoring antiChristian hate at the @adelaide_fringe festival 'Come Heckle Jesus'? #auspol twitter.com/frednile/statu…— Fred Nile (@frednile) January 30, 2014

Some unhappy punters have lashed out at the show on Facebook pages run by the festival and BankSA, saying they are "disgusted" that Ladgrove's "shameful" show was included in the festival.

Others have shown support for the show, saying it represents "free expression".

In a statement, a BankSA spokesperson said: "We acknowledge and respect concerns expressed about this show, and have passed those concerns to fringe organisers.

"BankSA provides its support to the fringe as an event which has broad appeal to South Australians and visitors."

Adelaide Fringe Festival director Greg Clarke says people should make up their own minds about the act.

"Adelaide Fringe is an open-access fringe festival and what that means is that anyone can present their work in the Adelaide Fringe," he said.

"We don't curate the festival. I don't program the festival and this is the way the fringe has been run now for over 50 years.

"It does concern me that people are targeting organisations. They can't cancel the show; I just don't know what people are hoping to gain from that."

You fucking idiots, it's how the Fringe Festivals worldwide have worked. You fucking muppets.

In sadder news, the woman found with burns in Sydney has died:
Monika Chetty dies in hospital a month after being found with burns to 80pc of face and body
A woman who was found with serious burns in western Sydney last month has died in hospital.

Monika Chetty, 39, was found in bushland at West Hoxton with horrific burns to 80 per cent of her face and body.

When she was first found, Ms Chetty managed to tell police a man had thrown chemicals at her in Liverpool sometime before New Year's Eve.

She was taken to Concord Hospital in a critical condition and yesterday died of her injuries.

Police have been baffled by the case. So far they have been unable to prove or disprove Ms Chetty's account of the attack.

Ms Chetty had been estranged from her husband and children for several years, police said.

Their investigations are continuing and a report will be prepared for the coroner.

Earlier this month, Detective Superintendent James Johnson said there had been a flood of witness reports since Ms Chetty's plight came to light.

Superintendent Johnson said Ms Chetty had been seen around Sydney, including begging in Parramatta.

"A lot of callers have reported seeing her over some period of months and [what is] more interesting is that she has been seen wearing bandages and with burns sometime prior to New Year's Eve," he said.

"That adds to the mystery of all this because for a person to suffer 80 per cent burns to her body for such a period of time, she must have been in agony."

Superintendent Johnson said based on witness reports the burns may have been suffered weeks or up to two months earlier.

Weird, sad stuff.

Shaneus

Pathetic stuff:

Adelaide Fringe Festival won't cancel show 'Come Heckle Christ' despite complaints from Christian Democratic Party

You fucking idiots, it's how the Fringe Festivals worldwide have worked. You fucking muppets.
Not to mention, how can you blasphemy (blaspheme?) if you're atheist/agnostic? I know that I've actually made a point over the last few years to use blasphemous words to take away their power. I really do prefer to say "jesus christ" than "holy shit". It just feels so damn good to say it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom