• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 10 - Node Country for Old Men

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dead Man

Watched True Detective episode 4 tonight.

1368113726727.gif

anticipation.gif

dat-booty.gif

oh-boy.gif

spongebob1.gif

Al-bundy-ed-oneill-animated-gif-2.gif

satisfaction.gif

1318.gif

impressed.gif

That's a fairly accurate recreation of my expressions over the last half of the episode.
4 episodes in and it's already a classic. Can't fucking wait for the final month!

Welcome! How's things! You broke my heart with that Driveclub trailer :(

All good, just hope we get some damn information about it already! Fuckin Rushy too busy enjoying being a Dad! :)

This post made me finally watch the first ep. Seems cool. Very atmospheric, not sure about Woody's acting, seems a bit like he is just being cool Woody. Interesting set up though, I'll be catching up the rest of the eps this week then heading over to the OT I think.

Picture a slow burn Michael Mann film. Not a bad one like Public Enemies, but a good one like Heat. Some of the best cinematography to ever grace a TV series, and a revelatory performance by Matthew McConaghuey. Fantastic use of music, a script that doesn't insult your intelligence, and great production values all round.

Watch a couple of eps and see if it grabs you. It's clearly not for everyone, but for my money I doubt we will see anything better on TV this year.

It's only revelatory if you haven't been paying attention, he has been showing his quality for a few years now. His weight loss is pretty insane though.

Gorgeous cinematography though, you are right. It might hold me over until new Hannibal.

So, they filmed all the seasons interview footage then went back and shot the rest of the eps, or is that wig and fake beard on McConaughey. And fuck typing his name, he is now McHuey in honour of your spelling. :)

Stackboy

Picture a slow burn Michael Mann film. Not a bad one like Public Enemies, but a good one like Heat. Some of the best cinematography to ever grace a TV series, and a revelatory performance by Matthew McConaghuey. Fantastic use of music, a script that doesn't insult your intelligence, and great production values all round.

Watch a couple of eps and see if it grabs you. It's clearly not for everyone, but for my money I doubt we will see anything better on TV this year.

Wowsers that sounds good.

hamchan

Wowsers that sounds good.

Yes it's very good. One of the good things about is that it's an anthology series, so the storyline will be wrapped up in a season. Bad part about that is we won't be seeing these two fantastic leads next season. Plus I read the director for all 8 eps this season, Cary Joji Fukunaga, won't be back, so that's sad too.

HELP AUS GAF!

Does anyone here have a Woolworth/Big W discount card or know someone with one?!? I really want to jump on the 10% off the PS4 at DickSmith deal today...but if you have a Woolworth/Big W discount card you can get an extra 5% off. It'll come down to about $450! I actually don’t' have enough money in my account at the moment to spend the $490, but I could actually make the $450 payment. I just need the discount number on the card. If someone could PM me a number today I'd appreciate it a lot and be super grateful!
uUkMyFD.gif

You won't have anyone catching up with you in Melbourne next Friday if you don't tell me what the DC thing was you were talking about :/
DC? What DC! There is no DC!?

And I will be in your town tomorrow!
Damn, did you find somewhere to stay? I was informed pretty much anywhere is decent, no real dives here anymore. All the stuff on the highway should be classy enough!

Shame you couldn't be down on Friday :(

This post made me finally watch the first ep. Seems cool. Very atmospheric, not sure about Woody's acting, seems a bit like he is just being cool Woody. Interesting set up though, I'll be catching up the rest of the eps this week then heading over to the OT I think.
Both characters have a lot of depth and the acting is fantastic. You might be surprised with Woody ;)
I really like how intelligent the writing is, allows for a lot of slow burn character moments that build them up too. I find myself identifying with both characters and being incredibly disgusted in them at times, which is amplified by how grounded and real they are.

Don't forget the taglines for the show :)

HELP AUS GAF!

Does anyone here have a Woolworth/Big W discount card or know someone with one?!? I really want to jump on the 10% off the PS4 at DickSmith deal today...but if you have a Woolworth/Big W discount card you can get an extra 5% off. It'll come down to about $450! I actually don’t' have enough money in my account at the moment to spend the $490, but I could actually make the $450 payment. I just need the discount number on the card. If someone could PM me a number today I'd appreciate it a lot and be super grateful!
uUkMyFD.gif
Wait what really?! Is that real?! Because that would almost bring it into my price bracket....
NOPE NOPE NOPE I CAN STAY STRONG >_<

Gazunta

A hundred posts about True Detective and not one that tells me what it's actually *about*.

Seriously, who the hell thinks it's OK to microwave a steak in the office kitchen? JESUS CHRIST IT SMELLS LIKE COURTNEY LOVE'S BREATH IN HERE

Dead Man

A hundred posts about True Detective and not one that tells me what it's actually *about*.

Seriously, who the hell thinks it's OK to microwave a steak in the office kitchen? JESUS CHRIST IT SMELLS LIKE COURTNEY LOVE'S BREATH IN HERE

Detectives. And Truthiness. And you need to find whoever did that and stab them in the knee with a steak knife. Very inconsiderate.

IMDB YO

The lives of two detectives, Rust Cohle and Martin Hart, become entangled during a 17-year hunt for a serial killer in Louisiana.

COME ON MAN

I don't want to spoil all the delicious characterisation in the show so I'll just say it's more about these 2 detectives and what kind of men they are, rather than about the case itself.

Gorgeous cinematography with careful, precise direction. The writing is spot on with everything that happens and everything that is said.

Also boobs. Also bullets. Also powerful exposition.

It's not a happy show. Very much stuck in the mire of the human condition.

I did this because of that post.

$493.20, free shipping because it's over $99.

If my pay rise came through last week rather than next pay period I would probably bite too >_<

:(

:)

<_>

Gazunta

OOh, a cop show about a hunt for a serial killer, sounds good --

It's not a happy show. Very much stuck in the mire of the human condition.

--aaaaaand I'm out. Having a hard time watching anything darker than The Muppet Show lately :)

I tried House Of Cards a few weeks back. Gave up after 4 or 5 episodes, it's a bunch of sociopaths fucking each other over and everyone's miserable. I can see why people love it but it's not my cup of tea. Same for Breaking Bad and Dexter or Hannibal or anything like that.

I liked The Bridge. Darker cop show, but at least there were some likable characters to make the trip enjoyable.

Bring back Kingswood Country damn it.

Damn, did you find somewhere to stay? I was informed pretty much anywhere is decent, no real dives here anymore. All the stuff on the highway should be classy enough!

Shame you couldn't be down on Friday :(

Not yet, I might not need to stay overnight in W'bool so will be booking it tonight once I plan my schedule.

What's on friday?

HELP AUS GAF!

What do you mean by Discount card, as in the everyday rewards card?

Not yet, I might not need to stay overnight in W'bool so will be booking it tonight once I plan my schedule.

What's on friday?
Friday is pretty much the only afternoon I have free this week :(

Stupid work! Why are we getting so many contracts at the moment, why can't I be incompetent :(

Nah the staff discount card. Not sure if it still works, sounds like they may have pulled it (it was meant to be disconnected from Dick Smith at the end of 2013 since Woolworths don't own them now).

sasimirobot

Sorry if I wasn't clear. I am in Melbourne right now! Just got in this morning at 2am, had zero sleep but went to Victoria market to ride Anthony Bordain's coat tails (bratwurst), shopping, blind tram hopping, and drank the coolest looking bottle of beer of my life on smith street! I am having a great time, and really falling in love with this city more every second. Now on the mission to find socks, yes, socks, I knew I forgot to pack something...

P1000878_zpsbfdeb95d.jpg

Still have tons of energy so anybody down for drinks tonight?

drank the coolest looking bottle of beer of my life on smith street!
Huh. You found a Yo-Ho beer accidentally in Melbourne? I've only seen Yona Yona and Tokyo Black floating about.

Go check out (in no particular order) Degraves St, Vietnamese food in Richmond, Rooftop Bar, Penny Blue (if you like beer). Should keep you entertained for the rest of the day.

sasimirobot

Huh. You found a Yo-Ho beer accidentally in Melbourne? I've only seen Yona Yona and Tokyo Black floating about.

Go check out (in no particular order) Degraves St, Vietnamese food in Richmond, Rooftop Bar, Penny Blue (if you like beer). Should keep you entertained for the rest of the day.

Yeah just randomly walked into a liquor store looking for Fernet Branca and asked the guy what beer he would drink if I bought him one. He gave me that. I was in the area hunting down a bag I have always wanted from Patagonia

http://www.amazon.com/Patagonia-MLC-Maximum-Legal-Carry-on/product-reviews/B003W06WL6

To add to the good luck it was on sale for 115 aus dollars! Half price. Will check out your suggestions, this place got the lucky vibes man...

Sorry if I wasn't clear. I am in Melbourne right now! Just got in this morning at 2am, had zero sleep but went to Victoria market to ride Anthony Bordain's coat tails (bratwurst), shopping, blind tram hopping, and drank the coolest looking bottle of beer of my life on smith street! I am having a great time, and really falling in love with this city more every second. Now on the mission to find socks, yes, socks, I knew I forgot to pack something...

Night market at Vic market tonight. Great food and drink.

It’s a discount card that staff get. You get 5% off for specific shops. So that would be 15% of the PS4 price!

If I can get a discount card number by today I’ll be all over the Dick Smith deal. Sadly time is running out....

Dead Man

P1000878_zpsbfdeb95d.jpg

Do all the smaller Japanese breweries have cute as fuck logos and designs?

I've been drinking this whenver I go to my favourite Yakitori place

V6ncfin.jpg

Bloody good drop.

It's only revelatory if you haven't been paying attention, he has been showing his quality for a few years now. His weight loss is pretty insane though.

I haven't been paying attention, true. I know he put in a good performance in Mud (which I've been meaning to watch for a while now) but I've only ever seen him sleep walk his way through dull romantic comedies.

Consider me a convert, because he is seriously impressive in True Detective.

Dead Man

I haven't been paying attention, true. I know he put in a good performance in Mud (which I've been meaning to watch for a while now) but I've only ever seen him sleep walk his way through dull romantic comedies.

Consider me a convert, because he is seriously impressive in True Detective.

Killer Joe is worth a watch. Odd movie, but some great performances by people I wasn't sure could act. Emile Hirsch is a bit shit in it though.

Danoss

--aaaaaand I'm out. Having a hard time watching anything darker than The Muppet Show lately :)

Sounds like someone needs The Genius in their life. It's intelligent as well as entertaining, it's very light and you will surely like just about everyone involved in Season 1.

Rick & Morty is another show you might enjoy. It's animated, very silly and funny without being mindless. It has only recently started and I've really been enjoying it.

Hopefully these are helpful suggestions for shows that don't have that darker aspect to them. It is definitely a challenge to find a show that meets these without being trite or just plain boring.

A step away from these would be Friday Night Lights. There is more drama involved, but it's not awful, it gives a great balance to the really uplifting moments that are wonderful and incredibly believable. Season 2 is flawed, but is forgivable given how good the rest of it is. My favourite show of all time.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
Sounds like someone needs The Genius in their life. It's intelligent as well as entertaining, it's very light and you will surely like just about everyone involved in Season 1.

Rick & Morty is another show you might enjoy. It's animated, very silly and funny without being mindless. It has only recently started and I've really been enjoying it.

Hopefully these are helpful suggestions for shows that don't have that darker aspect to them. It is definitely a challenge to find a show that meets these without being trite or just plain boring.

A step away from these would be Friday Night Lights. There is more drama involved, but it's not awful, it gives a great balance to the really uplifting moments that are wonderful and incredibly believable. Season 2 is flawed, but is forgivable given how good the rest of it is. My favourite show of all time.

Haven't watched an ep of the genius since ep.. 8? When ever it was
yellow
Got out.

Do all the smaller Japanese breweries have cute as fuck logos and designs?
Nope (Baird is probably my favourite Japanese brewery).
baird_suruga_bay-461x600.jpg

Also, there's one place in Melbourne that somehow gets White Ale on tap. Never seen that anywhere. No idea how they did it, don't care.

Danoss

yellow
Got out.

Last episode (9) was actually really good.
Visitors from Season 1 – Yuram, Junseok, Changyeop, Jungmoon, Sunggyu and one other join in for an episode.

hamchan

yellow
Got out.

Same, felt so bad after that ep.

I now watch shows that are less depressing and with less nasty people than the Genius. I now watch TV shows like True Detective, Justified and Boardwalk Empire.

bomma_man

Anyone here been to the South Island of NZ before? Probably going to spend a week there at the end of October. Looking at 3-4 days at a place around Queenstown and then 3-4 days in another area. What's the best other area?

I remember really liking Christchurch (pre earthquake tho), definitely a different vibe than Queenstown.

seanoff

Anyone here been to the South Island of NZ before? Probably going to spend a week there at the end of October. Looking at 3-4 days at a place around Queenstown and then 3-4 days in another area. What's the best other area?

Christchurch was the jewel but its fucked now.

so ROADTRIP

Franz Joseph glacier is worth a look.

Milford sound is really spectacular.

Queenstown.

My favourite show of all time.

Danoss
Yesterday I randomly came across a gif from FNL and it reminded me it's been awhile since I rewatched my favourite show so I'll be doing that imminently. Just thinking about it is getting me amped up. No show affects me quite like it. If the FNL movie ever happens and isn't a turd, I'll die a happy man.

Danoss

Danoss
Yesterday I randomly came across a gif from FNL and it reminded me it's been awhile since I rewatched my favourite show so I'll be doing that imminently. Just thinking about it is getting me amped up. No show affects me quite like it. If the FNL movie ever happens and isn't a turd, I'll die a happy man.

Hahaha, you funny bugger!

It has a similar effect on me. I was feeling some of the emotions as I recalled certain moments while writing that post, it's hard to avoid, not that I'd want to. The only other show to have such a strong effect on me has been Six Feet Under — it's worth watching the entire series just to experience the full effect of the finale.

I had no idea there were plans for a movie to be made. I'm not sure how I feel about that to be honest. I imagine it'd be hard to capture a lot of what that show did well in such a short span of time. I do still have the companion book to read though, so that'll be something.

HELP AUS GAF!

uUkMyFD.gif

No PS4 for me I guess. : (

r1chard

You need some Bunheads, Gazunta.
So sad there will be no more Bunheads :(

I've been watching Leverage. Please don't hate me. And Helix too, which ain't bad.

Been trying to play Starbound with daughter tonight but the bloody server (on my PC) keeps dying with stupid windows tcp queue buffer full crap errors :(

Shaneus

It's pretty eh. Nothing they haven't already had on sale before.

I thought I tweeted it early this morning though tbh, must have deleted that tab instead.
Typing DLC, pretty sure that hasn't been on sale yet.

Hey Gaz, there's a guy in that TxK thread (the one I created, natch) who has an ink drawing for an avatar just like you do! I think he's the head of Ruffian or something as well, so you might do well to suss him out ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom