• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 10 - Node Country for Old Men

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
That's a bit of a grey area for me on the other hand I want to respect my own potential kids privacy.. especially since I felt absolutely terrible when my mum attempted to browse my internet history.. but at the same time the internet is a chaotic place and I kind of don't want my children to be exposed to the same crap I was as a result of my parents giving me endless freedom (that time when my mum browsed my history was during a weird time)..

As a to-be school teacher I'm going be filtering all my students internet and monitoring them anyway. :p in fact I already monitor their internet usage in my current OSHC job.

r1chard

It's not just browser history or whatever. It's kids who have Instagram accounts and all the repercussions that could entail.

r1chard

Mobile phones at age 5... Facebook accounts at age 8... probably already have their own youtube channel by then too!
I was actually unaware that Facebook had lowered their age limit to 13+ from 16+. Like any 13 year old is going to understand the ramifications that all the shit they post in there is available to whoever wants to buy it (and some people who don't buy it).

markot

Banned
I think its quite comedically.

But the next generation will be more tech 'literate' yet also not due to the new uis and apple hold your hand ness.

Its like they can use it, but they hit a problem and its like theyre yo big fat momma trying to use dos computer.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Most of the kids at the school I work at already have skype accounts.. and gossip about "girls/boys they like"

At one school I worked at there was a funny 12-year old who said to me SHE'D NEVER MAKE A FACEBOOK ACCOUNT. Thought it was rather refreshing.

That's a bit of a grey area for me on the other hand I want to respect my own potential kids privacy.. especially since I felt absolutely terrible when my mum attempted to browse my internet history.. but at the same time the internet is a chaotic place and I kind of don't want my children to be exposed to the same crap I was as a result of my parents giving me endless freedom (that time when my mum browsed my history was during a weird time)..

I don't know, I didn't get exposed to anything horrific till my early teens.
Maybe that would've played out differently if I didn't initially have 56k internet and only one pc for the entire family. I'm sure kids are getting their own devices earlier and earlier now.

It's not just browser history or whatever. It's kids who have Instagram accounts and all the repercussions that could entail.

What the flip do kids need instagram for?

I was actually unaware that Facebook had lowered their age limit to 13+ from 16+. Like any 13 year old is going to understand the ramifications that all the shit they post in there is available to whoever wants to buy it (and some people who don't buy it).

When did it change? I'm pretty sure it's been 13 since I started using facebook. (which was 2007)

HOLY SHIT VITA SAVED!

Re: True Detective.
Yes. Yes. Yes.
That's how you do the middle of your story.
So fucking good.
Spend and hour watching it and then ten hours discussing it.
So good.

Re: Kids and technology.
Phone at 12. Brick with no smart features. Text and call only.
Constant supervision when using technology.
Zero cameras owned by anyone other than adults.

Shaneus

Most of the kids at the school I work at already have skype accounts.. and gossip about "girls/boys they like"

At one school I worked at there was a funny 12-year old who said to me SHE'D NEVER MAKE A FACEBOOK ACCOUNT. Thought it was rather refreshing.
You know she's Amish, right?

Edit: Was LBP ever a freebie on PS+ for Vita?

Rezbit

Does the pace of True Detective pick up at all? First episode was really well written and acted, but it was extremely slow. Not necessarily a deal breaker, but there's probably only so much I could watch of a 60 minute show at that pace.

Re: Kids and technology.
Phone at 12. Brick with no smart features. Text and call only.
Constant supervision when using technology.
Zero cameras owned by anyone other than adults.

Hah, good luck with that.

My 5 year old nephew has his own ipad and most of time has possession of both his parent's smartphones.

Does the pace of True Detective pick up at all? First episode was really well written and acted, but it was extremely slow. Not necessarily a deal breaker, but there's probably only so much I could watch of a 60 minute show at that pace.

Yes it does, it's not all action but scenes are very well shot.

Dead Man

The last two weeks felt like they were over way too quickly. Heaps of stuff crammed into them too.

It becomes more and more compelling as it goes along.

The more the information builds the more you start trying to pre-empt what happens only to end up becoming more and more tense as it somehow gets more and more intense.

Never come across a show that built upon itself so strongly every single episode. Really is fantastic.

As the characters are opened up to you as the investigation proceeds the stakes become higher, more complex and you certainly feel a sense of momentum.

Danoss

It becomes more and more compelling as it goes along.

It certainly does. I've watched the first three episodes so far and am very much enjoying it, thank you for recommending it. It's an excellent slow burn, which is something I do love and difficult to do really well.

McConaughey has surprised me as being really damned good, I had no idea he had the chops for this. He's frighteningly thin, especially when compared to how I'm used to seeing him – he must've filmed this while he still had the weight off for Dallas Buyers Club.

I've noticed they have mentioned 'the yellow king' and 'Carcosa' a couple of times. For those who may not be aware, these are references to The King in Yellow by Robert W. Chambers, who released this series of short stories in 1895. H.P. Lovecraft was a fan of his and actually used some of Chambers' characters in his works; this one in particular has become part of the Cthulhu mythos. I say this in case anyone here may be interested in reading it – I have put a Kindle-formatted copy up on my dropbox if so, you can download it here (it's in the public domain).

None of the above is spoiler material as far as I can tell.

Kritz

Banned
oh god I just sent off a build of my game.

Let's see how much I regret not spending a few more days weeks months years on it before having someone show it off.

Gazunta

Should've gone to Brisbane, at least then he could've interviewed Gaz for Tone Control:

There actually is a funny story about the 'Viva Pinata animals go on The Amazing Race' theme choice and I'll tell it one day.

Not so much funny since it ends up with the wife and I in a hospital, ah game development good times

It certainly does. I've watched the first three episodes so far and am very much enjoying it, thank you for recommending it. It's an excellent slow burn, which is something I do love and difficult to do really well.
I reckon you'll love the end of the fourth episode. In fact, most of that episode is incredible. Got dang.

r1chard

I don't know, I didn't get exposed to anything horrific till my early teens.
Maybe that would've played out differently if I didn't initially have 56k internet and only one pc for the entire family. I'm sure kids are getting their own devices earlier and earlier now.

What the flip do kids need instagram for?
It's actually (usually) very innocent - they have these devices (phones, iPads, whatever) that their parents buy them and don't supervise (because Little Jenny Is Not Bothering Me Now So I Am Happy - see also parents who buy their 10 year olds Call Of Duty and GTA) and the kids get together on the playground or wherever and talk about what cool apps they've installed and set up accounts and whatever. Many of them are savvy enough to know that they can google their name or their friends' names and find photos of them, but they often don't then make the connection that whatever photos they take are instantly out there for - effectively - anyone to see.

When did it change? I'm pretty sure it's been 13 since I started using facebook. (which was 2007)
Probably my mistake. Was probably always 13, because I guess in America that's the age at which someone can legally consent to selling all their personal details or something. In my daughter's case neither of her parents have a Facebook account so it'll be easier to convince her to not get one, but it'll be a tough fight when she's 13. Or 12. Ugh.

Then there's that anecdote I saw on twitter about a girl on a bus offering to remove the parental controls from other kids' devices for $5 a pop. "So kids view parental controls as malware and have built a service economy around repairing infected phones." lol.

DjRoomba

Banned

As a to-be school teacher I'm going be filtering all my students internet and monitoring them anyway. :p in fact I already monitor their internet usage in my current OSHC job.

I think they should teach kids Horrific shit on the Internet 101 around the same time they do sex education and dangers of drugs and alcohol.

Danoss

I reckon you'll love the end of the fourth episode. In fact, most of that episode is incredible. Got dang.

I've now seen it and will echo the amazement of everyone else. After getting to the very end I thought, "hang on, how long did that go for?" I wound it back and discovered it was very long indeed.

I recall reading someone's comment here that they didn't know how it was even possible. A jib and about 5 possible edit points make it so, not to spoil the illusion or downplay how damn good it is.

A Spanish film did an entire film in one shot, not literally, but it was edited to appear this way. Of course it was remade for the US under the name Silent House if I remember correctly. For some truly excellent work, have a look at this one shot from Hugo, where there are some behind the scenes sits to show how it was done. There is also one clip called 'The Impossible Shot' if you want to see something that may blow your mind. I'll edit in some links to these when I'm near a computer.

I
Then there's that anecdote I saw on twitter about a girl on a bus offering to remove the parental controls from other kids' devices for $5 a pop. "So kids view parental controls as malware and have built a service economy around repairing infected phones." lol.

lol
I like the cut of her jib!

I recall reading someone's comment here that they didn't know how it was even possible. A jib and about 5 possible edit points make it so, not to spoil the illusion or downplay how damn good it is.

Not quite sure if by 'possible edit points' you're insinuating they did edit it or not? From reading this interview with Cary Fukunaga (the director) the other day, I learnt they had edit points in mind to fall back on but didn't need them and it is supposedly all one long take.

I'll edit in some links to these when I'm near a computer.

Please do!

edit: go away cods :'(

Danoss

I'll throw the links to the clips I referred to earlier in here so no one has to scroll up to find them.

The Impossible Shot from Contact, a film featuring McConaughey funnily enough.

Steadicam shot from Hugo. I believe this is the last shot from the movie (I haven't yet seen it) so I'm not sure if there's spoilers, it's probably fine.

Indeed, but the director has stated that what was aired was actually a single take. They put the edit points in just in case, but didn't need them.

Also, given that it was for TV, so the lower budgets and tighter timeframe make it still impressive.

Thanks for the link, that was an interesting read and excellent to know that they pulled it off in one take. I'm not sure how I feel about the last sentence where it was written "...one of the great achievements of filmmaking for television." If the qualifier "for television" was meant as a compliment, that's fine and deserving, but not so if it was intended to separate it from film.

Not quite sure if by 'possible edit points' you're insinuating they did edit it or not? From reading this interview with Cary Fukunaga (the director) the other day, I learnt they had edit points in mind to fall back on but didn't need them and it is supposedly all one long take.

I said 'possible edit points' because there was no way I could tell if they were actually used or not. Any director would be foolish not to have them there as a safety net for something they didn't catch before it was too late to do anything about it. I'm not discounting what was achieved, they did say that possible edit points were included although not needed.

Tons of XBL deals so I can't be arsed tweeting them separately.

XBLA
Bit Trip Runner2 for $1.94
D&D Daggerdale for $1.99
LotR Guardians of Middle Earth for $1.04
Dust An Elysian Tail for $2.99
Bastion for $2.99
Alan Wake's American Nightmare for $2.98
Motorcross Madness for $1.99
Radiant Silvergun for $7.47 GOLD ONLY

Games on Demand
Driver San Francisco for $3.28
Batman Arkham City for $7.48
Mass Effect for $4.98
Dirt 3 for $7.99
RUSE for $3.28
Halo Reach for $9.98
Dante's Inferno for $4.98
Asura's Wrath for $11.39
Rider Racer Unbounded for $7.48 GOLD ONLY

Also Toy Soldiers Cold War is now free for XBL Gold members!

Deeku

That pokemon channel is pretty rad, but no sane person could actually sit there and watch that nonsense unfold. Well, I couldn't anyway. It's cool reading about what happened tho

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
That pokemon channel is pretty rad, but no sane person could actually sit there and watch that nonsense unfold. Well, I couldn't anyway. It's cool reading about what happened tho
I've probably watched around 40 -50 hours oof it. Reading about it in the off time...

Lets say about 4pm or so? Planning on getting in by 3pm at the latest hopefully! I'll catch a late train back to Geelong.
Yup, earlier suits me so that's cool. Will just leave work a bit early.

Beer DeLuxe is acceptable, though I much prefer Penny Blue nowadays. But food is cheaper at Beer DeLuxe and the place is easier to get to and suits larger groups, so, whatever.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom