• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 10 - Node Country for Old Men

Status
Not open for further replies.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
Don't forget!

Tomorrow!

26_26wolflsk6s.jpg

Yay beer!

Yay!

I'll be there around 6!

jambo

My house gets an A rating for access to Cable and ADSL, but the quality rating for my ADSL is a D with an average speed of >7.08 Mbps.

Our line syncs at 5.4 Mbps...

:<

Also funnily it says it has 4G and we have actually had our phones connect to 4G a few times lately, but we only get 1 bar and then it drops when you try to use it.

Overall Fixed Broadband Availability A. ( What they don't mention is that it is the slow ass, old tech, super expensive transact network and it's already oversubscribed in my area.)

Overall Fixed Broadband Quality C. ( No ADSL, too far away so an E for that and it gives me a C for having transact going past)

Mobile (available!)

*Posted from my unlimited Vividwireless 4G that I'm actually quite happy with. 1.7MB/s on steam all day every day.

Edit: And fuck you Turnbull, the NBN was less than 2km from my house when you got your grubby mits on it.

Ydahs

Is anyone here earning independent youth allowance while living away from home? Looking at the Centrelink website, it seems that it's possible to earn up to ~$1100 as a student with youth allowance and rent assistance payments, which makes my decision to move out and rent a small apartment near the CBD a lot easier.

... but I guess there's a whole lot more to consider when living alone.

Dimefan3

So who's heading to soundwave this weekend? Who are you seeing?

Sydney for me, and here is my plan...

11 - 11.40 - Amon Amarth (If I get in on time)
12.10 - 12.40 - Nancy Vandal
12.40 - 1.20 - Less Than Jake
1.20 - 3.00 - Wherever
3.00 - 3.40 - Dir En Grey
4.00 - 5.00 - Trivium
5.00 - 5.40 - Alice In Chains
5.40 - 6.40 - Down
6.40 - 7.20 - Gojira
7.20 - 8.20 - Devildriver
8.20 - 9.00 - Green Day
9.00 - 10.00 - HIM

Most people are bitching about cancellations/clashes, but my day has worked out well, only miss out on Pennywise, which I might try to fit in a bit of anyway.

Hey Shane/Laf!

Can you still get a daily return V-Line ticket? Site says that mentally challenged Myki shit doesn't take over until Monday but it won't let me buy a ticket.

I JUST WANT TO GO GEELONG MELB FUCKING DAMNIT >_<

Yay!

I'll be there around 6!
Woo! Always a party with Holy!
Neat! What time peeps gonna be there?
I should get into Melbourne at 3pm, will be at Beer Deluxe by 4pm I guess (can't remember how long it takes to walk down).

Shaneus

Yo rep. Should be able to buy a ticket at the station itself. I don't know how because I'm all Myki'd up (what did you want to do with it? Could I lend you mine?) but I know I've seen people with old-school paper tickets on trains. Whole sitch is kinda fucked, though :/

I'll be up for meeting up tomoz night, too :) No idea how long I'll stick around until or whatevs, but will definitely be there to ketchup! Prolly a little after 5.

Yo rep. Should be able to buy a ticket at the station itself. I don't know how because I'm all Myki'd up (what did you want to do with it? Could I lend you mine?) but I know I've seen people with old-school paper tickets on trains. Whole sitch is kinda fucked, though :/

I'll be up for meeting up tomoz night, too :) No idea how long I'll stick around until or whatevs, but will definitely be there to ketchup! Prolly a little after 5.
Sweet! Yeah I planned on just rocking up to Terrace and asking for a ticket like usual, playing dumb if necessary lol

Hey Shane/Laf!

Can you still get a daily return V-Line ticket? Site says that mentally challenged Myki shit doesn't take over until Monday but it won't let me buy a ticket.

I JUST WANT TO GO GEELONG MELB FUCKING DAMNIT >_<

Yeah, just buy it online or use myki from Geelong to Melb. You can't buy tickets from the counter anymore afaik, but myki works just fine.

Stackboy

So who's heading to soundwave this weekend? Who are you seeing?

I wish I was going to Brisbane tomorrow, but I have a wedding to save for. Besides, I don't think I trust AJ anymore. Pretty atrocious, the number of band cancellations. You can't know for sure if the band you want to see is going to show up on the day anymore. Plus I don't like the way he does business. Oh, and he called me nasty potty mouthed names on Twitter. Like a professional does.

So, why is QLD selling land for $1, and why don't I have any. What are you guys doing?

Link?

Heading into EB tomorrow to see if I can get me a PS4!

senahorse

My mother has all my childhood photos, I will be seeing her in a few weeks I will try and get her to dig something out, maybe with me in the early 80's playing on the old wood grain 2600

Dead Man

Link?

Heading into EB tomorrow to see if I can get me a PS4!
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-02-19/secret-bligh-deal-with-mater-on-qld-childrens-hospital/5270694
A secret deal struck by the former Bligh government means the land underneath the Queensland Children's Hospital (QCH) will be offered to the neighbouring Mater Hospital for a dollar.

The Mater stands to gain 16 hectares of land, according to a confidential memorandum of understanding (MOU).

The MOU was signed in December 2008, three months before the Bligh government was to face an election.

The closure of the Royal Children's Hospital and the shift of staff and services to the new site beside the Mater sparked protests and a heated political atmosphere, pitting then opposition leader Lawrence Springborg against Labor premier Anna Bligh.
Mater granted option to buy entire site

The ABC can now reveal the terms of the deal that allowed the $1.5 billion hospital to be built.

Queensland Health agreed to pay the Mater $48 million for demolishing its commercial carpark in the QCH precinct, along with $95,000 for another unit in the construction zone.

It would be really surprising for a lot of people to know the nature of that particular deal.
Qld Health Minister Lawrence Springborg

It meant Queensland Health would be contributing about 75 per cent of the land for the project, with the Mater contributing the other portion for one dollar.

Queensland Health (QH) then agreed to pay all construction costs and to run the facility as a public hospital.

But after 60 years the Mater would be granted an option to buy back the entire site for one dollar.

The MOU states: "Following construction of the QCH, QH will grant Mater an option to acquire the land QH own that is contained within the QCH footprint".

"Mater may exercise the option ... within 30 days after the earlier of: (i) the 60th anniversary of the opening of the completed QCH; or (ii) the date when QH ceases to use the QCH as a tertiary paediatric hospital."

The State Government has the option to push the date back to the 90th anniversary but it would require the government of the day to pay for site demolition if requested by the Mater.

The deal means the Mater will receive a lucrative income stream from leasing the site back to the government.

The MOU also grants the Mater the lucrative management rights to the QCH underground carpark and licences to operate 58 private hospital beds in the intensive care and oncology wards.

"The parties acknowledge that Mater will receive the potential to obtain a significant income from the licences," the MOU states.

Danoss

Posted this on twitter last night after seeing it on my feed. Do not read the comments if you wish to remain somewhat calm.

Why we don't put girls in games.

And then there's this that follows: Women in combat: a prelude.

Foul thoughts on a topic that really needs to be addressed. Anyone who possesses something even remotely resembling a brain can see the glaring holes in what this person espouses. He might claim that he is a genius (read the FAQ where he even looks down his nose at fellow geniuses, as well as others), but he doesn't seem to be very bright. Creating a reasoned argument is not one of his strong suits and in fact manages to point out things that actually contradict his beliefs and conclusion.

It would be completely laughable if he weren't completely serious.

The terrible thing is that he is far from alone in this. Not too long ago there were instances of sexism demonstrated in the games industry and it does make one curious as to how deep it goes. We all know it is present in many places and to varying degrees, but bold things like this make it rather apparent we have a long way to go.

Where's my own hospital for $2?

Hey Danoss kept forgetting to ask if you saw the explanation on Reddit by Justin for the jellybean incident in Rick & Morty. So fucking funny, even if it's not true.

Also no Myki for me! Doesn't come in compulsory until Monday.

Jintor

I don't understand how I can suspend my disbelief long enough to believe that orcs and trolls can fight in gladitatorial games but apparently women fighting is BEYOND MY IMAGINATION

Stackboy

I called my 2 local EB's. One told me I would have to wait for an undetermined amount of time, for a PS4. The other said if I come in and preorder tomorrow, I should be able to pick one up on Monday.

Think I'll go to the latter.

jambo

Posted this on twitter last night after seeing it on my feed. Do not read the comments if you wish to remain somewhat calm.

Why we don't put girls in games.

And then there's this that follows: Women in combat: a prelude.

Foul thoughts on a topic that really needs to be addressed. Anyone who possesses something even remotely resembling a brain can see the glaring holes in what this person espouses. He might claim that he is a genius (read the FAQ where he even looks down his nose at fellow geniuses, as well as others), but he doesn't seem to be very bright. Creating a reasoned argument is not one of his strong suits and in fact manages to point out things that actually contradict his beliefs and conclusion.

It would be completely laughable if he weren't completely serious.

The terrible thing is that he is far from alone in this. Not too long ago there were instances of sexism demonstrated in the games industry and it does make one curious as to how deep it goes. We all know it is present in many places and to varying degrees, but bold things like this make it rather apparent we have a long way to go.

Holy shit I was reading his blog and Twitter for about 25 minutes and now I am so angry.

Jintor

I had a quick glance through the comments and saw someone saying "OHHH YEAH PMS" and closed the window. I don't really need more of that in my brain and nothing struck me as particularly insightful so much as "HOW DARE THIS WOMAN QUESTION MY DECISIONS"

I don't understand how I can suspend my disbelief long enough to believe that orcs and trolls can fight in gladitatorial games but apparently women fighting is BEYOND MY IMAGINATION

My first thought upon reading it. Unless I missed the part where orcs and trolls existed, historical verisimilitude went out the window day one.

Danoss

Hey Danoss kept forgetting to ask if you saw the explanation on Reddit by Justin for the jellybean incident in Rick & Morty. So fucking funny, even if it's not true.

I have not, might have to check it out. I did read that there was something after the end credits in that episode, which I think I'll have to see too.

Women gladiators that I am not forced to choose in any way is RUINING MY IMMERSION. Orcs, elves and goblins were historically excellent gladiators as we all know, unless they were women of course.

You were warned about the comments, they really are atrocious. There is nothing of value to be found there, it is just bigoted arseholes reassuring one other that they are indeed superior in an attempt to allay their fears that WOMEN ARE TRYING TO TAKE OVER and will not be sated until they have RUINED MY HOBBY FOREVER.

Soon we'll see them saying "First they came for my video games, and I did not speak out..."

Holy shit I was reading his blog and Twitter for about 25 minutes and now I am so angry.

Yep, it'll do that. I also made the mistake of looking at his twitter feed. I saw one tweet of his and immediately closed the window. Bigotry seems to fit the twitter character limit well, there's no complexity to express and no justification needed.

I'm interested to see these IQ results that he claims are quite high, those tests require you to be able exercise lateral thinking. He does not seem to exhibit even critical thinking, otherwise he would see the glaring errors he has made and will continue to.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom