• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 10 - Node Country for Old Men

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tommy DJ

Hey AusGAF I need some help.

Does anyone have an idea how specific you have to be when writing a key selection criteria? All my previous jobs only needed a cover letter, resume, good referrals and a neat interview but now the company I'm applying for needs one.

Should I go nuts about the specifics or should I just be brief about it? The examples online aren't particularly good since the quality of them are very inconsistent.

US PSN users, tomorrow is the last day to make use of the Spend $60 Get $10 credit offer.

Um, no digital pre-order (so, no pre-load) for Second Son on PSN? Game is listed out on the 26th on the store's game page (must be the digital release)

Fuck it, $69 DSE ver. it is then.

There is no need to preload on the PS4 because you can start playing while it's downloading.

Chances of the Vita going down to $200 before the Slim releases here? Hate myself for not picking one up in December.
Not interested in Second hand, went down that road before (with a PS3) and it took me nearly 2 months to get a refund after the thing stopped working just a few weeks after buying it.

Trevelyon

There is no need to preload on the PS4 because you can start playing while it's downloading.

Not really, Black Flag and Tomb Raider required at least a 4-5GB buffer before you could play and go. Good and all for your Google Fiber types, but not so much for podunk Aussie ADSL+2. I'd imagine SS would require similar buffer before letting you jump in.

Does anyone have an idea how specific you have to be when writing a key selection criteria? All my previous jobs only needed a cover letter, resume, good referrals and a neat interview but now the company I'm applying for needs one.
As specific as you can be. Provide an example from your previous work history (preferable) or life where you showed that particular attribute. e.g. If one of the selection criteria was "elite gamer", provide an example of how you pwned those guys that one time.

If there are half a dozen, a single page total is probably enough. Remember that if it's too long, whoever's reading it will probably get bored!

Should I go nuts about the specifics or should I just be brief about it? The examples online aren't particularly good since the quality of them are very inconsistent.

Also make sure you save them as a lot of places are wanting you to address selection criteria and a lot of the questions are the same/similar.

Dimefan3

I find it helps a little to copy the Key Selction points in the ad over to you application letter, and write a brief few lines around each of them, then take away the points (obviously) and connect them up that way.

Not really, Black Flag and Tomb Raider required at least a 4-5GB buffer before you could play and go. Good and all for your Google Fiber types, but not so much for podunk Aussie ADSL+2. I'd imagine SS would require similar buffer before letting you jump in.

Hey I'm on ADSL2+ as well, 4-5GB takes under an hour so that's not bad at all.

When does that credit get added? After the promotion ends? Because I've spent well over 60 bucks and it hasn't been granted to me yet.

After the 24th of March afaik.

Ground Zeroes is amazing. Think I am onboard with Sutherland voicing Snake now too. Biggest case of coitus interruptus though, hope MGSV meets it's Q1 2015 esitmated release date.

Jintor

Ground Zeroes is amazing. Think I am onboard with Sutherland voicing Snake now too. Biggest case of coitus interruptus though, hope MGSV meets it's Q1 2015 esitmated release date.

i'll be surprised if i ever feel it's natural, but i tend to overestimate how important vas are to my immersion

PS4 VR confirmed

sony_gdc_0460.jpg

i'll be surprised if i ever feel it's natural, but i tend to overestimate how important vas are to my immersion

He has a pretty shaky start but by the ending he was hitting his stride. It kind of fits with the more serious themes in GZ. Don't get me wrong, I still miss Hayter but I'm not as offended as I once was about someone else playing Snakie.

My wife has been working with someone in outplacement services and their tip was to do up a table in your cover letter where you specifically address each selection criteria in each line. A tip she was given was to use the recruiter's own language to answer each point, because they look for key words when they're scanning cover letters.

For instance, for the job title Lead Gamer, one selection criteria might include:

- Demonstrated ability to complete challenging game titles​

Your answer might be:

- Throughout my career, I have completed various challenging titles, including the original Battletoads (NES), Super Meat Boy (PC), Dark Souls (PS3) and Donkey Kong Country Returns (Wii), all on original hardware and all without the use of cheating devices or cheesing strategies. In addition, I have undertaken a number of additional challenges not included in titles' original designs, such as a speed run in Super Metroid (Wii VC) and a Hero Mode 3 Heart Run in Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds (3DS). I feel that these accomplishments amply demonstrate my ability to meet challenges, be they in completing a title or otherwise.​

Then, your cover letter might read like this:

Dear Sir/Madam,

RE: Lead Gamer Position

I wish to apply for the Lead Gamer position advertised by Gamers Inc. on SEEK (Ref No. 1337). I have over fifteen years' experience on the field of gaming across a variety of genres, including FPS, action, platformers, adventure games, RTS, JRPGs, WRPGs, ARPGs and SRPGs. I feel that I would be an outstanding candidate for the role and have outlined how I will meet the advertised selection criteria below:

If you have any questions regarding my application or experience, please contact me on 1337pwnr@email.com or on my mobile at 0477 777 777.

Sincerely,

Chad Warden
Elite Gamer​

When Chad comes in for an interview I'm going to make him play Battletoads until he finishes it. 15 hours later when he's crying and begging to leave I'm going to tell him to "sit the fuck back down and finish the fucking game like I told you" because that's what you get for lying on your application, Chad.

You fucking lying cunt.

I hate Chad so much.

When Chad comes in for an interview I'm going to make him play Battletoads until he finishes it. 15 hours later when he's crying and begging to leave I'm going to tell him to "sit the fuck back down and finish the fucking game like I told you" because that's what you get for lying on your application, Chad.

You fucking lying cunt.

I hate Chad so much.

Battletoads aint no thing. I can clock it on my GP2X without breaking a sweat. Can I have the job?

Depends. If Chad happened to "disappear" in a way that certainly didn't raise suspicion especially since he left a note and posted on his Facebook wall days later stating he was enjoying his life travelling around the country so much that no close friends or family should try to contact him ever again because he doesn't know when he'll come back or even if at all, then that certainly would make you a front-runner for the position.

senahorse

Will be interesting the effect it'll have on oculus.

I always figured that was an average speed for adsl2 and nothing special, the more you know.

Last time I saw the Whirlpool survey I think the average was somewhere between 8-10Mb/s, after overheads (and routing/server connections are taken into account), on a connection like that you're looking at 1MB/s downloads if you're lucky.

I can usually hit 600KB/s no problem. Every now and then Steam or GOG or something will hit 1MB/s but it's pretty rare.

Not bad for country living! Quality of the connection is fucking terrible though. Good ole Telstra copper :/

(although there are times I'm stuck around 250KB/s, fairly rare though!)

r1chard

Will be interesting the effect it'll have on oculus.
Which one's going to hit the market first?

(Currently stuck in a Corporate Strategy Update Meeting aka PowerPoint Hell In Five Hours at Etihad stadium. If it wasn't for the promise of free drinks at the end, ugh)

legend166

My wife has been working with someone in outplacement services and their tip was to do up a table in your cover letter where you specifically address each selection criteria in each line. A tip she was given was to use the recruiter's own language to answer each point, because they look for key words when they're scanning cover letters.

For instance, for the job title Lead Gamer, one selection criteria might include:

- Demonstrated ability to complete challenging game titles​

Your answer might be:

- Throughout my career, I have completed various challenging titles, including the original Battletoads (NES), Super Meat Boy (PC), Dark Souls (PS3) and Donkey Kong Country Returns (Wii), all on original hardware and all without the use of cheating devices or cheesing strategies. In addition, I have undertaken a number of additional challenges not included in titles' original designs, such as a speed run in Super Metroid (Wii VC) and a Hero Mode 3 Heart Run in Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds (3DS). I feel that these accomplishments amply demonstrate my ability to meet challenges, be they in completing a title or otherwise.​

Then, your cover letter might read like this:

Dear Sir/Madam,

RE: Lead Gamer Position

I wish to apply for the Lead Gamer position advertised by Gamers Inc. on SEEK (Ref No. 1337). I have over fifteen years' experience on the field of gaming across a variety of genres, including FPS, action, platformers, adventure games, RTS, JRPGs, WRPGs, ARPGs and SRPGs. I feel that I would be an outstanding candidate for the role and have outlined how I will meet the advertised selection criteria below:

If you have any questions regarding my application or experience, please contact me on 1337pwnr@email.com or on my mobile at 0477 777 777.

Sincerely,

Chad Warden
Elite Gamer​

I'm going to use that for my next job application and see what happens.

How would you do it for something like this: http://www.seek.com.au/job/26212253

There's literally 25 things listed under 'Essential'.

Last time I saw the Whirlpool survey I think the average was somewhere between 8-10Mb/s, after overheads (and routing/server connections are taken into account), on a connection like that you're looking at 1MB/s downloads if you're lucky.

I must be really lucky then, I average almost double that. Yet I still can't reliably stream Netflix at 720p or above, ffs.

Which one's going to hit the market first?

(Currently stuck in a Corporate Strategy Update Meeting aka PowerPoint Hell In Five Hours at Etihad stadium. If it wasn't for the promise of free drinks at the end, ugh)

Yeah, though from what I've read about sonys offering it seems like a fair way off.

Those meetings are the worst, had a similar one the other day, but no free drinks.

senahorse

I must be really lucky then, I average almost double that. Yet I still can't reliably stream Netflix at 720p or above, ffs.

I have a cable connection that syncs at 115Mb/s, I can download games off Steam at 13MB/s (averages is usually around 11MB) and about 8MB/s off PSN. However Netflix has been problematic lately, my biggest issue currently is packet loss on Telstra's network which has become a nightmare to get resolved (but that's another story). What I have found has fixed Netflix a lot was changing from Unblock Us to Getflix for the DNS service. Now DNS shouldn't have a big impact on streaming from Netflix but changing has certainly helped. The last month on Unblock Us I was struggling to maintain 720P, let alone Super 1080P. But changing to Getflix I get to super 1080 just about every time in a matter of seconds. I switched back last night to Unblock Us to give it a chance, and it just sat there going between 240P and 384P, straight back to Getflix and 1080 wasn't a problem. I am not sure what's happening here and DNS shouldn't be that big of a deal but for me it has seemed to help greatly. If you're not on it already, it's worth trying, Getflix have a 14 day trial.

Omikron

I have a cable connection that syncs at 115Mb/s, I can download games off Steam at 13MB/s (averages is usually around 11MB) and about 8MB/s off PSN. However Netflix has been problematic lately, my biggest issue currently is packet loss on Telstra's network which has become a nightmare to get resolved (but that's another story). What I have found has fixed Netflix a lot was changing from Unblock Us to Getflix for the DNS service. Now DNS shouldn't have a big impact on streaming from Netflix but changing has certainly helped. The last month on Unblock Us I was struggling to maintain 720P, let alone Super 1080P. But changing to Getflix I get to super 1080 just about every time in a matter of seconds. I switched back last night to Unblock Us to give it a chance, and it just sat there going between 240P and 384P, straight back to Getflix and 1080 wasn't a problem. I am not sure what's happening here and DNS shouldn't be that big of a deal but for me it has seemed to help greatly. If you're not on it already, it's worth trying, Getflix have a 14 day trial.

Actually, I might have to try this, I have had issues with unblock lately as well.

Thanks for the tip, will give it a go tonight. I was going to cancel netflix as well so hopefully this fixes it.

I'm going to use that for my next job application and see what happens.

How would you do it for something like this: http://www.seek.com.au/job/26212253

There's literally 25 things listed under 'Essential'.
I count only five. They're grouped as "at least one of". Don't be afraid to give lists if they ask for lists.

I went on a loooooooong 14hr drive today. I saw giant billboards for this in two states:
http://www.amtcaudition.com/

Actors, Models and Talent for Christ.

I also drove through Yolo County, Black Butte and a town called Weed.
A big problem with modern Christian art and music is that it seems to be about making cheap Jesus-branded knockoffs of art that's already popular. Religious and Gospel music was a wellspring of brilliance and creativity for a long time and many of the artists you see headlining today had their start in churches. In contrast, what they're trying to do (especially in Evangelical mega-churches) is trying the X-Factor formula and wondering why it doesn't produce good art.

I just drove through Chinchilla on the way to site. Man, are there a lot of farms out here.

senahorse

Let us know how you all go with Getflix, my one account, being just anecdotal evidence, could be complete coincidence (ie. connection has come good just as I switch between the two), it would be nice to see that it does actually help people.

lexi

Banned
Let us know how you all go with Getflix, my one account, being just anecdotal evidence, could be complete coincidence (ie. connection has come good just as I switch between the two), it would be nice to see that it does actually help people.

Worst case scenario: It's not any worse and I save a few dollars every month.

Kritz

Banned
Awesome. that was entertaining

I burnt my hand trying the inverted aeropress method for the first time like a scrub

The first time I tried the inverted method, I knocked the fucking Aeropress over and it allll spilled into the cutlery draw. Every fucking knife, fork and spoon was drenched in coffee water and wet grinds. :(

--

Also, yeah, Etalyx (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o7BiXCG6hRs) and Jerma985 (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KGSFvF2r2gM) just rocked out a 7 minute Citizen Burger Disorder video each.

It's pretty intense, y'all. Lot of things to think about. Direction of the game, how much I want to make the game public, how long I should keep working on the game as a hobby before attempting a crowd funding thing to make my dev full time and actually put out something with reasonable polish.

I dunno, guess I gotta see how well people stay interested in a game that won't be released for at LEAST a year and a half.

Shaneus

VKS didn't make the name up?
Chad Warden, on the PS-Triple.

I wonder if that would make any difference to the occasional speed problems I come across, particularly with sites like YT and Twitch. HMMMM.

Jintor

deek you paying rent or your housing company controlled? what's the deal

can't remember if you moved to wei shen land or you're still elsewhere on the islands and that's just where your work head quarters is

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom