• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 10 - Node Country for Old Men

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not (well, intentionally) having a go at console-only gamers, just saying that because there's less likelihood of backwards compatibility those gamers may be more interested in HD remakes, where little changes besides the graphics. Long time PC gamers can often just pay the original game without much effort. Newer PC gamers who switched for prettier graphics might be a different story.

A lot of stuff on Kickstarter is often reimaginings of stuff that couldn't find a home with a traditional publisher. Besides, most of those are on PC, and don't have budget to do "HD" type remakes. Wasteland 2, for instance, isn't a remake of the first with nicer graphics (though that did actually come free, for backers), but a completely new game.

Quasar

I wonder if maybe the desire for updated versions of games is higher with people who are predominantly console gamers?

Or perhaps with those who value graphics higher than other aspects (not over other aspects, just more important to them)

Given I'd been PC (well computer) only up until the PS3 (and even now I'd say consoles are below both my PC and iPad in terms of playing time) the former isn't the case for me.

In terms of PS3 games rereleased on PS4, a part of it simply is I have no interest in hooking my PS3 back up whilst I'd be sad of I lost access to them. Of course so far they'll all been PSN freebies.

I guess I do place some importance on graphics (though I'm not one who outlays gobs of cash on PC graphics - I still only have a 7870 for instance and don't see me upgrading till the Oculus is a consumer product). At least in terms of new games. I mean whilst I'm reticent to buy/play pixelart games I've happily re-bought old games on GoG and played those.

I guess there's really no absolute then. Maybe it's more related to memories of games. I dunno, just trying to figure out why HD remakes are important to people since I don't really get it (besides the obvious of things looking nicer),

Quasar

I guess there's really no absolute then. Maybe it's more related to memories of games. I dunno, just trying to figure out why HD remakes are important to people since I don't really get it (besides the obvious of things looking nicer),

Well as I said, continued access is one. And that's the great PC advantage, even if there are periodic hiccups of running old games easily. PC also gets the advantage of games running better over time, even if graphics themselves don't improve.

With consoles, unless there is a remake, the best you get is a perfect emulation of the old system on the new. So at best its just as good as it was.

I dunno, just trying to figure out why HD remakes are important to people since I don't really get it (besides the obvious of things looking nicer),

2 reasons

1) Nostalgia - wanna play it again yo but for one reason or another I can't yo

2) Untouched - I never got to play it yo but I kinda wanna play it if it was possible yo

3) Steel Battalion Kinect - sometimes one or two things make a game fucking painful to play and almost impossible to genuinely enjoy so porting it to a platform which will avoid those things can turn a turd into caviar yo

I have a cable connection that syncs at 115Mb/s, I can download games off Steam at 13MB/s (averages is usually around 11MB) and about 8MB/s off PSN. However Netflix has been problematic lately, my biggest issue currently is packet loss on Telstra's network which has become a nightmare to get resolved (but that's another story). What I have found has fixed Netflix a lot was changing from Unblock Us to Getflix for the DNS service. Now DNS shouldn't have a big impact on streaming from Netflix but changing has certainly helped. The last month on Unblock Us I was struggling to maintain 720P, let alone Super 1080P. But changing to Getflix I get to super 1080 just about every time in a matter of seconds. I switched back last night to Unblock Us to give it a chance, and it just sat there going between 240P and 384P, straight back to Getflix and 1080 wasn't a problem. I am not sure what's happening here and DNS shouldn't be that big of a deal but for me it has seemed to help greatly. If you're not on it already, it's worth trying, Getflix have a 14 day trial.

Well netlfix started playing up again today, was hovering at 384/480SD. Switched over to Getflick and now gets a solid 1080HD.

Great suggestion.

Quasar

Well netlfix started playing up again today, was hovering at 384/480SD. Switched over to Getflick and now gets a solid 1080HD.

Great suggestion.

Thats weird. I don't understand how dns would impact that at all. With unblock, did you try the various ips? Maybe it was just particular servers playing up.

Shaneus

I hit the
neon
thing only tonight, can feel the game being a bit better.

PS. DJr, maybe you spoiled the wrong thing... perhaps block out the energy source as well as the ability. I mean, there's little point if I wrote something like "Finally able to suck the life out of everyone which gave me the ability to
walk
".

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Just me or do tea bags always have a bunch of yummy stuff left in it that gets wasted when you throw it out.

Need to find a better solution!

It's been known from long ago that the
powers are smoke, neon and
video
I've been on blackout so I didn't know the powers :/

Also I didn't know there were
:/

Not a huge deal though! Anyone who that is a spoiler for should have picked it up on day one as powers are an important gameplay element so the length of limitations on discussing it should be shorter than story stuff.

Just me or do tea bags always have a bunch of yummy stuff left in it that gets wasted when you throw it out.

Need to find a better solution!
Reuse it! I usually use my fancy teabags twice as they still have a ton of flavour in them.

At work, I use loose leaf tea and a tea ball type thing (at home I have a nice clay cup with a separator/strainer on one side). I'll often make a cup and then when there's 1/3 or so left, just refill to the top. Can get a few cups no problem. Unless it's a strong tea, then it gets too bitter, but I usually drink milder teas.

Well that's just fucking fantastic! Went to turn on my Wii U this morning to play some SM3DW... and it isn't powering on. I haven't even owned to system for 6 months.

I don't have the receipt, but I payed by card and have the transaction details on my bank statement. What are my options?

Well that's just fucking fantastic! Went to turn on my Wii U this morning to play some SM3DW... and it isn't powering on. I haven't even owned to system for 6 months.

I don't have the receipt, but I payed by card and have the transaction details on my bank statement. What are my options?

Where did you buy it? They might be able to reprint a receipt.

Since it's so new maybe even just call up Nintendo and see if the warranty would cover it regardless of having a receipt, serial number might be enough.

Where did you buy it? They might be able to reprint a receipt.

Since it's so new maybe even just call up Nintendo and see if the warranty would cover it regardless of having a receipt, serial number might be enough.

I got it from Dick Smith in the clearance sale. I'll be calling them for sure.

It was a basic white Wii U, so I think it's actually a launch model and the serial number isn't going to be much help.

It's insane that I have an old model 360 that's over 5 years old and it still kicks along like a champion. The Wii U is sitting next to a 20+ year old NES that also still works fine!

Jintor

oh yeah at the very least you have a consumer warranty that will apply regardless for 1 or 2 years (can't remember which). this is for NSW, but pretty sure the consumer laws are uniform.

Not that I have trouble with unblock, but I did have a look at it. Maybe I will change purely due to price.

Is there any kind of list of services it works with?

Fairly sure it's purely a TV/Movie type service, so Netflix, Hulu, HBOGo and so on. I remember having access to Pandora before it was officially launched in Australia too.

Danoss

I should try some loose leaf stuff. Keep forgetting to actually buy some!

It's good stuff, for sure. I get mine from teas.com.au, which is convenient enough as they're not too far from me (no pick-up option though) with free shipping. Great value and range of quality tea.

The Tea Centre is worth a look too: it's a bit pricier, but not bad at all. They seem to have a better source for white tea also (namely Silver Needle), this they are cheaper on and have more readily available supplies. T2 is a waste of time and money.

Kritz

Banned
So, the downside of my game getting popular, is that my site doesn't have the bandwidth to handle it.

Anyone have some good, cheap solutions to hosting? I just iced the 10GB/month bandwidth my current free hosting gets me, and if this keeps up another month, I feel like I'll have to look elsewhere.

I've been on blackout so I didn't know the powers :/

Also I didn't know there were
:/

Not a huge deal though! Anyone who that is a spoiler for should have picked it up on day one as powers are an important gameplay element so the length of limitations on discussing it should be shorter than story stuff.

Then you're in luck, because what I said earlier was not accurate.

Finished the game on good, now for the evil playthrough.

I also finished my Good playthrough (credits are on now) and I thought I'd move on to Evil but I see I didn't touch the Paper Trail stuff yet. :)

Kritz

Banned
When's peak hour for the Chatroom?

9am til 12am?

--

Gah, the Unity masterserver seems to be flooded so I can't get today's patch working. I really need to rent a server that'll let me rock a unity masterserver, as well as let me host my website + game.

I wonder if it'd be kosher to ask for donations to get this stuff hosted. Cuz I ain't got the most money in the world right now to be taking a loss on a game that's years out from any kind of release.

On the same hand, I feel like asking for donations will put more pressure on the game to be worked on more often / to be of a higher quality than what it is now.

Guess I'll see how next month treats me. Either the playerbase will die down (seems to be about... 5-25 people playing the game at any one time?) and I'll get to go back to a slower paced development, or more and more people will find out about it and I'll need to succumb to various pressures surrounding the game's availability and quality.

oh god I have three assignments due this week oh crap oh crap

Paper trails are really fun and creative. Do missions and find evidence in-game, upload to website, solve puzzles and unlock more missions in-game.

Finished the first one, waiting for the second one to be released.

Kritz

Banned
Holy shit, this video of it has 20k views. Kritz am famous!

Did you do it all yourself, tiger?

Yeah, game's a one man job. (Hey, if anyone's hiring unity programmers >___>)

Also, yup, Kritz.net is tooooast. I'm also not sure when the month resets. But that was... 15GB in 5 days? Which means I need 1TB/month hosting assuming the demand doesn't get any higher.

You think NixiHost is good, Mega? I'm not sure what they consider "Using excessive resources to the point where other accounts are negatively impacted" to be, bandwidth wise, but presumably I won't hit it?

Danoss

You think NixiHost is good, Mega? I'm not sure what they consider "Using excessive resources to the point where other accounts are negatively impacted" to be, bandwidth wise, but presumably I won't hit it?

Whilst I am not Mega, unless something had happened I am not aware of, I might have a stab at answering. I'd think that resource-wise they're likely to be referring to CPU time or memory usage as they're going to affect other users sharing the same server and for this they'd want you to have a dedicated server instead. Bandwidth, you're probably okay, it may just be the difference of a few dollars for one plan over another.

I'm sure NixiHost has a goon special over in SA Mart, but I cannot recall what it is. I'm confident it's worth a look though.

Kritz

Banned
You're probably right, danoss. Although the site does specify "unlimited bandwidth" even on the cheaper hosting options, which makes me believe it actually means "most people will never encounter the bandwidth limit we set on certain accounts when they go all crazy-like".

Most "unlimited" shared hosting is basically "do whatever the hell you like, as long as it doesn't impact the other users on the same server or our overall systems".

So, might be worth checking the resources your server uses in addition to the bandwidth? Maybe sign up for a (more expensive) month with one of the hosts as a test?

Gazunta

So, the downside of my game getting popular, is that my site doesn't have the bandwidth to handle it.

Anyone have some good, cheap solutions to hosting? I just iced the 10GB/month bandwidth my current free hosting gets me, and if this keeps up another month, I feel like I'll have to look elsewhere.

I burn through 10GB a day with my host - surpasshosting.com - $6 a month. Been with them for years, love 'em to bits.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom