• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 10 - Node Country for Old Men

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for the heads up on the new Louis Theroux doco. Dogs are right up my alley and I'm looking forward to a heartwarming, gut wrenching and hilarious documentary about the mistreatment, training and awesomeness of dogs. Will watch later tonight.

So does anybody have info on how PS4 and XBO rate as media centers? CD, DVD, BD playback are things I assume both of them have. Google is telling me that neither PS4 or XBO can play media off hard drives, or at least not at launch. This is fucking astounding and blows my mind given that the last round of consoles could do exactly that.

I noticed EB selling Xbones with Titan Fall for $500 today. When did that happen? That makes the Xbone $50 cheaper than the PS4 with a high profile game. Is the PS4 opening up a decent sized lead here or what? Seems like a pretty aggressive move by Microsoft.

So does anybody have info on how PS4 and XBO rate as media centers? CD, DVD, BD playback are things I assume both of them have. Google is telling me that neither PS4 or XBO can play media off hard drives, or at least not at launch. This is fucking astounding and blows my mind given that the last round of consoles could do exactly that.

No usb media support for now. May get patched in (PS4) in the future.

I noticed EB selling Xbones with Titan Fall for $500 today. When did that happen? That makes the Xbone $50 cheaper than the PS4 with a high profile game. Is the PS4 opening up a decent sized lead here or what? Seems like a pretty aggressive move by Microsoft.

Still 600 on the site.

No usb media support for now. May get patched in (PS4) in the future.

Apparently the XBO will be adding it in the near future. Still unable to fucking believe.

what-year-it-is-wys4b.jpg

I'll pop in a Blu Ray movie tonight and let you know. I have downloaded a Blu Ray app on X1 but only watched streamed movies on my X1 thus far. Update post later for disc mate.

It's obvious X1's OS came in hot, patching has been pretty good though but more work is needed and not on parity with the 360 yet.

About two or three weeks ago, I saw EB signs with that in big writing, but in smaller writing it says that's with trade-ins of particular things. I want to say it was when you trade in a 360 over a particular hard drive size and maybe some games.

Quasar

Neither of them are very good. I'd argue that kind of makes sense with the PS4 given the heavy 'this is a games box' message, and I find it odder with the XB1 given its whole 'living room hub' message. But still both are poor as media centres unless all you want from a hub is playback of discs, as well as support for mainline streaming services.

About two or three weeks ago, I saw EB signs with that in big writing, but in smaller writing it says that's with trade-ins of particular things. I want to say it was when you trade in a 360 over a particular hard drive size and maybe some games.

Ah yes... That makes sense! Trade your Xbox 360 with 30 games and get $100 off.

Quasar

Apparently the XBO will be adding it in the near future. Still unable to fucking believe.

I find it kind of funny. You had all the rage at MS pushing TV services first and people all raging and saying all MS and Sony should do it focus on the games and things that provide better games. Then after the launches you have rage about the consoles not being decent media hubs.

Me? If they provided a path to allow folks to make various media apps, like you get on tablets etc I'd be fine. Certainly I'd way prefer to see say Plex or XBMC on either console than say DLNA support (which I think is a pretty terrible and archaic tech).

Overall though my upset is pretty muted given the number of other devices I have (such as a ChromeCast) that will always be better than whatever media centre support Sony and MS cobble together for their consoles.

I find it kind of funny. You had all the rage at MS pushing TV services first and people all raging and saying all MS and Sony should do it focus on the games and things that provide better games. Then after the launches you have rage about the consoles not being decent media hubs.

Both consoles had a certain level of media playback capability on their previous iterations. If you're stripping features that people used it's always going to make people angry. People praising the PS4 leading up to its release because it focused on games weren't secretly hoping that Sony would nerf the media functionality that was present on the PS3 for 5+ years. The PS4 not allowing you to play CDs doesn't make anything better. The PS4 not allowing you to play files off an ext hard drive doesn't make the games better.

The PS4 not allowing you to play CDs doesn't make anything better. The PS4 not allowing you to play files off an ext hard drive doesn't make the games better.
Sources!!! I demand you supply your sources for these!!!

Maybe the XB1 having better media capabilities right now is the reason for its crushed blacks and 900ps!

hamchan

I think someone made a thread about this exact thing. http://neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=763718

Half of the people's replies felt like "stfu, stop whining, they made a gaming machine first", which is pretty unfortunate.

markot

Banned
I got a 290 >.<

But now my pc keeps freezing at the windows loading animation... and I don't have any windows cds and I cant find any of my usb thumb drives to reinstallllllll.......

But it was fun while it worked. Nice not having my desk shake when I play a game.

Current gen media functionality is closely linked to monetisation potential.

Plex and open DNLA? Free media streaming with little to no DRM?

LAWL

Oh hey there Mr Sony Music Unlimited! How come you were up and running at the PS4 launch? I hear you have music for people to listen to!

FIN

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Bought tickets for my first ever gig! going be seeing Kylesa next monday at the barwon club hotel in Geelong. Should be awesome times!

$253 for WiiU with Skylanders Swapforce and exclusive figurine posted from Good Guys with CTHEGOODGUYS coupon (figure sells for over $50 on eBay)

$508 for X1 posted from Good Guys with CTHEGOODGUYS coupon

$112 for 2DS posted from Good Guys with CTHEGOODGUYS coupon

*$176 for 3DSXL posted from Good Guys with CTHEGOODGUYS coupon*

Shaneus

Ads still working? FAIL.
Supporting the website. Admins/Evilore are staunchly against using ad-blocking software on GAF because it eliminates any revenue they might get to pay for running the site.

Using this site with ad-blockers is like watching a busker for a few hours, being entertained by their performance then walking away without throwing any money into their hat.

lexi

Banned
Supporting the website. Admins/Evilore are staunchly against using ad-blocking software on GAF because it eliminates any revenue they might get to pay for running the site.

Using this site with ad-blockers is like watching a busker for a few hours, being entertained by their performance then walking away without throwing any money into their hat.

GAF gold removes ads. Or it's supposed to. Don't know why some people pay $99 a year for it.

Stackboy

Because both MS and Sony have media services they want to $$$ you.

No dealopus today, was trying to get out the door to work asap lol

GAF Gold doesn't have ads dude....

Kritz

Banned
Jeeze I get my site and game back online, and within five minutes a bunch of people are already playing again.

I'm also now officially making a loss on this game! Yey! It's like real video games.

I use Ghostery to block unwanted data mining, it hides the ads automatically.

Kritz

Banned
I use Ghostery to block unwanted data mining, it hides the ads automatically.

I've always wondered what the consensus is on post script adblockers are. Because technically the ad is allowed to load, and is displayed for a few milliseconds, but then the element is hidden clientside. The ad's still there, but you wouldn't see it. Presumably most ads wouldn't be able to detect it.

But from Neogaf's perspective it's probably better to play it safe and disallow adblocking of all kinds, since I suppose they still rely on a few people actually clicking the darn things.

At least neogaf ads are usually relevant. GMG, JB hifi, dick smith, ebgames. Stuff you wouldn't mind seeing ads for.

I've always wondered what the consensus is on post script adblockers are. Because technically the ad is allowed to load, and is displayed for a few milliseconds, but then the element is hidden clientside. The ad's still there, but you wouldn't see it. Presumably most ads wouldn't be able to detect it.

But from Neogaf's perspective it's probably better to play it safe and disallow adblocking of all kinds, since I suppose they still rely on a few people actually clicking the darn things.

At least neogaf ads are usually relevant. GMG, JB hifi, dick smith, ebgames. Stuff you wouldn't mind seeing ads for.

TBH ads don't bother me. This is what Ghostery does, and I imagine it's like you said - the ads load but won't display.

I think ads are actually causing some kind of performance hitch on gaf. weird!

404 errors every day for the past couple of months. Not sure if that's due to the ads or due to an overloaded server.

I'm still a bit shocked that Australia has been Sony-land for the last few years considering how we get zero attention while also being gouged in terms of prices on hardware AND software, in addition to smaller supply of both and the Australian PSN store being lighter on content than other regions.

Quasar

I'm still a bit shocked that Australia has been Sony-land for the last few years considering how we get zero attention while also being gouged in terms of prices on hardware AND software, in addition to smaller supply of both and the Australian PSN store being lighter on content than other regions.

I'm not sure there really is that much less content. At least compared to the rest of PAL-land. Seems about the same. Ditto software prices. Those seem to simply be UK prices converted to AUD.

The hardware thing though...even with the PS2 inertia I was a bit surprised the PS3 launch price didn't sour people. Certainly for me that's one reason I imported a Japanese PS3 then (the other being i wanted a Region A BD player).

I'm not sure there really is that much less content. At least compared to the rest of PAL-land. Seems about the same. Ditto software prices. Those seem to simply be UK prices converted to AUD.

The hardware thing though...even with the PS2 inertia I was a bit surprised the PS3 launch price didn't sour people. Certainly for me that's one reason I imported a Japanese PS3 then (the other being i wanted a Region A BD player).

My issue with the AU PSN prices are mainly when Steam and XBL Marketplace prices are cheaper, sometimes by more than 10%. Similar DD prices to the US would mean more DD purchases which would mean more $$$ for Sony out of my pocket.

Hardware really is odd. 360 has been under $99 tons of times in the last 6 months yet PS3 has outsold it easily despite being twice the price most of the time!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom