• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 10 - Node Country for Old Men

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kritz

Banned
Fuckin'

waterbottle leaked through my bag, turning everything inside into a dampy mess. Haven't tested any of it, but there was a whole lot of important electronics in that bag. Hopefully the surface is OK. And my Sd card with my film project on it.

Get to uni only to notice my pants had ripped in the wash, in a really compromising area.

Back home now, wondering if I should bother with the rest of the day, my internet's capped until tomorrow. I swear 128kbps wasn't this slow back in 2002.

Guess I got two hours of bombcast to listen to, so. Once more into the breach.

Dryk

Oculus has had a ton of venture capital poured into it already. Kickstarter was just a way to get that ball rolling.

Zuckerberg has stated, at least for now, that they'll be independent. But then, that always happens with buyouts, so I expect to see it all fall in a heap once Carmack and Luckey get jack of Facebook and leave for Valve or Sony. Probably Valve since they'll be promised more autonomy.
Facebook buying Occulus, Disney buying up all my favourite Youtubers, the US Supreme Court going all in on corporate rights. It's times like this that I wish I could wake up one morning and just be an average person that doesn't give a shit and will accept the future with open cheeks.

But I can't do it ;_;

senahorse

Artists of AusGAF please provide me some guidance.

I do not have one ounce of artistic ability in my body but I need to learn some basic drawing skills. Specifically I want to draw some 2D sprites, for example the first ones I want to draw will be a couple of cats.

I have started playing around on my surface with sketchbook pro, and have started following a couple of "how to draw a cat" guides on the Internet. I have quickly discovered this is harder than it looks but I think I will be capable to draw something for our needs given the right pointers etc.

What I am planning on doing is drawing the pictures as a whole and then potentially cutting them up (or drawing up a sprite sheet of parts in something like Inkscape) and either using the animator in unity or something like Puppet2D or Spine for animation.

Someone that knows what they are talking about can you please point me in the right direction to some good books, guides or Internet resources on the subject, also some good software for the task. If all else fails we will look at commissioning some artists for it but we are at a point where we would rather not invest too much money to begin with. Programming is easy compared to this drawing thing :(

Jintor

643_5fff69dcea.jpg

though to be serious learning to see stuff as assemblages of geometric shapes is very helpful

Dryk

I just realised that the upside of Facebook throwing money at Rift teleconferencing is that I get to rub it in Malcolm Turnbull's face.

Gazunta

Artists of AusGAF please provide me some guidance.

I do not have one ounce of artistic ability in my body but I need to learn some basic drawing skills. Specifically I want to draw some 2D sprites, for example the first ones I want to draw will be a couple of cats.

I have started playing around on my surface with sketchbook pro, and have started following a couple of "how to draw a cat" guides on the Internet. I have quickly discovered this is harder than it looks but I think I will be capable to draw something for our needs given the right pointers etc.

What I am planning on doing is drawing the pictures as a whole and then potentially cutting them up (or drawing up a sprite sheet of parts in something like Inkscape) and either using the animator in unity or something like Puppet2D or Spine for animation.

Someone that knows what they are talking about can you please point me in the right direction to some good books, guides or Internet resources on the subject, also some good software for the task. If all else fails we will look at commissioning some artists for it but we are at a point where we would rather not invest too much money to begin with. Programming is easy compared to this drawing thing :(

Are you going for a realistic cart or cartoony?

If you want cartoony cat I can't recommend Cartoon Animation by Preston Blair highly enough. It was written in 1947 and has been the go-to guide for everyone since. Really shows the process of breaking an object down into shapes and adding movement and weight to them.

Danoss

So 2015 sounds like a good time to build a new PC, 2nd Gen Maxwell, Skylake, mainstream DDR4, Windoows 9. Sign me up :D

Looks like I picked the wrong time to build a new PC, having just done so on Monday. Well, "picked" isn't exactly accurate given my PC at the time was slowly packing it in.

It went together nicely and with only one problem presenting itself. Plug 8GB stick of RAM in DDR channel A2 and 8GB in channel B2, only 8GB recognised; move them to A1 and B1, same thing. Move them both to A1 and A2, nothing; move them both to B1 and B2 (heh), 16GB recognised. Figured channel A was completely borked. Updated BIOS—goddamn it's nice to do so inside the BIOS itself—and with the sticks back in A2 and B2 we have 16GB recognised. Yay!

Running it now, I see my error in thinking of watercooling as an option to further lower the noise produced from the PC. Using just the case exhaust fans as well as the stock GPU fans and big-arse CPU cooler, it's pretty damn quiet. I'd imagine that I'd be hearing (or not, rather) about the same were there a radiator and the fans to cool the fins in their place. If I had higher end components, then watercooling would be a viable option to keep temps down while OC more. Seems there'd be minimal to zero gain from putting the effort in for anything less, which is currently all I need.

I figured I'd throw Windows 8.1 on this thing for the performance benefits at least. Using it for only a short while, I can see validity in arguments both for and against it. There are things to like about it for sure, but what many don't like about it really draws attention from the good things that have been done with this OS. I look forward to seeing what they've done with Windows 9, if it's like the advances and changes made from Vista to Windows 7 then I think they're on the right path.

Also, Shaneus, do you still have a need for the 5870 I pulled out of the old PC? Given there's a graphics option on the CPU I have now, there's little need to keep this thing around as a spare, it might as well go to someone who could use it. For the cost of postage, it's yours if you want it. There's a likelihood that it was part of the problem in my last PC, so it'd be wise to test it out on something other than your main rig. I've cleansed it of what dust I could without removing the fan assembly/plastic shit, if dust remains, it's not really visible. If you'd like pics or any particular details, let me know and I'll do what I can.

senahorse

Are you going for a realistic cart or cartoony?

If you want cartoony cat I can't recommend Cartoon Animation by Preston Blair highly enough. It was written in 1947 and has been the go-to guide for everyone since. Really shows the process of breaking an object down into shapes and adding movement and weight to them.

Cartoon style, seems to be an easier approach and better suited at what we are aiming for. I just searched and found that book at the library here at work, after a few page flicks I immediately ordered it from Amazon from your link. Thanks kindly, it seems perfect for what we want to achieve and it even has a kitten model I can work from :)

edit: Danoss, I should have prefaced my PC comment with a note about being perfect time for me, you need a new PC so the perfect time is NOW, there is always something newer/better around the corner.

Danoss

Danoss, I should have prefaced my PC comment with a note about being perfect time for me, you need a new PC so the perfect time is NOW, there is always something newer/better around the corner.

No need for the prefaced statement, that's perfectly understandable. We don't always get to choose our own upgrade cycles, but it's nice when we do.

I'm in no way complaining about my upgrade, aside from necessity it is very welcome indeed. The speed and performance boosts alone are magnificent. Whilst there is always something newer and better around the corner, many improvements benefit gaming, which I don't gain much from and thus not having them on or soon after release is much more palatable and easier on the pocket.

Man, what's up with all the hipster hate? I mean, I'm too brown to look good in flannelette, find skinny jeans WAY too uncomfortable around the crotch, can't grow a beard thanks to my Aztec ancestors, would get practically disowned by my family if I ever got a tattoo/piercing and enjoy things far too sincerely to ever pull off the attitude, but I still don't get bile rising in my throat whenever I see someone who fits that description. It's like, guys, we're video game nerds. Shouldn't our anger be directed at someone who actually deserves it, like Tony Abbott, or the Visigoths?

Just saying.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
i sat in a cafe in fitzroy as a guy in a torn top hat turned to his friend, wearing a leather pilots cap, and said "there are too many normies in fitzroy now"

I'm allowed to.

i sat in a cafe in fitzroy as a guy in a torn top hat turned to his friend, wearing a leather pilots cap, and said "there are too many normies in fitzroy now"

I'm allowed to.

You see, this is just plain sad. I don't understand going out of your way to identify with a particular group (unless you are trying to get laid, that I understand!).

Deeku

Whooooa grilld did some serious expandin:O

I remember when you guys first started talking about grilld and it was like a bris or melb only thing with no stores in Syd, Now there are like 10 stores in Syd!

Quasar

Man, what's up with all the hipster hate? I mean, I'm too brown to look good in flannelette, find skinny jeans WAY too uncomfortable around the crotch, can't grow a beard thanks to my Aztec ancestors, would get practically disowned by my family if I ever got a tattoo/piercing and enjoy things far too sincerely to ever pull off the attitude, but I still don't get bile rising in my throat whenever I see someone who fits that description. It's like, guys, we're video game nerds. Shouldn't our anger be directed at someone who actually deserves it, like Tony Abbott, or the Visigoths?

Just saying.

Just good old fashioned tribalism. Never goes away, that dark part of human nature. And hipster hate has probably been around just as long as poor people hate.

jambo

My current issue with hipsters is all the vintage bikes. No way they'd have good brakes or be suitable for heavy use, but they ride them everywhere anyway.

Still blows my mind that bicycles in general don't need to be registered in the same way that cars do. I see so many of them running red lights and almost colliding with people in the CBD.

Dead Man

My current issue with hipsters is all the vintage bikes. No way they'd have good brakes or be suitable for heavy use, but they ride them everywhere anyway.

Still blows my mind that bicycles in general don't need to be registered in the same way that cars do. I see so many of them running red lights and almost colliding with people in the CBD.

Did somebody walk on your lawn? You want 3 year olds to register their Christmas bikes before they can ride them? :)

But yeah, the heavy shit bikes I saw in the city today looked great standing still, but fuck riding one of them. Still, no more than people who place aesthetics so far above function deserve.

Fun-fact: I used to be in Burger Theory's Twitter wallpaper

Used to be? Pfft, nobody. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom