• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 10 - Node Country for Old Men

Status
Not open for further replies.

wonzo

Banned
What the fuck?

http://www.poopourri.com/

gxMkVIv.png
Aromatherapy being associated with piles of shit is incredibly fitting.

Tommy DJ

FYI, the first episode of Fargo is legit. Never would have guessed.

Aren't the Coen Brothers actually tied to the project? They have their idiosyncrasies but they're generally quite reliable with their output. They also don't seem to be the type to go for completely empty cash in projects (as much of a cash in a Fargo TV series can be).

I wish everyone at work would go home early, just want to be playing Dead Nation on my Vita right meowwwwww.

Aren't the Coen Brothers actually tied to the project? They have their idiosyncrasies but they're generally quite reliable with their output. They also don't seem to be the type to go for completely empty cash in projects (as much of a cash in a Fargo TV series can be).
Yeah they are heavily involved thankfully.

And yeah, Fargo TV show is such a WTF idea it's brilliant. Hope it rates well enough that the network is happy they took a shot on it.

TV is surpassing movies in terms of quality story telling much more regularly these last few years. Great time to live in the middle of nowhere and be stuck with a child which keeps you out of cinemas lol

Outrun is indeed coming to 3DS!

Coming to our region? Check the magic 8-ball
WHERE YOU AT VOOK?

Also why didn't you name drop Happy Feet and Legend of the Guardians!

Also any inside scoop on Intuitive Game Studios and what they are up to? I know they are looking at Vita dev so help a Vita bro out!!!

Gazunta

Outrun is indeed coming to 3DS!

Coming to our region? Check the magic 8-ball
WHERE YOU AT VOOK?

Also why didn't you name drop Happy Feet and Legend of the Guardians!

Also any inside scoop on Intuitive Game Studios and what they are up to? I know they are looking at Vita dev so help a Vita bro out!!!

I'm pretty confident Outrun will make it over to the Australian e-store, most (all?) the others so far have. Man, I really enjoyed the Streets of Rage remake. Usually I don't go crazy for rebuying games I already have but that 3DS screen makes it worthwhile and I really like the additions like widescreen support and car upgrades.

And I didn't namedrop those games because I have recently had brain surgery to make me forget I ever worked on them. IT WAS WORKING FINE UNTIL JUST NOW.

No idea about that studio, never worked with those guys sorry! They must have worked on the movie.

3DS screen is GARBAGE Gaz, both you and I know that, don't pretend it isn't!

(a hell of a lot less garbage than the OG 3DS screen though, that thing is awful)

No idea about that studio, never worked with those guys sorry! They must have worked on the movie.

Oh okay cool, I'm pretty sure I remember a bunch of Krome devs shifting over there with some of the KMM people once the Team Bondi guys set it up.

Gazunta

Oh Rep absolutely agree that low res is horrible but I am a sucker for that 3D effect on the XL screen :)

Plus my vision is that terrible everything looks blurry and low res anyway haha

I'll dig around for more about that studio...cool stuff!

Deal Octopus - cheapest place to get DKC:TF at retail? I got a $50 Westfield voucher burning a hole in my pocket.
Target has it for $64!

Cheapest you can get locally using your Westfield card (that works with Target right?)

Are they external or what? I could use a new internal and there's a few stores with low stock near me

The ones I linked are external, call your store to make sure they will do that price. Let them know it says online that it only lets you pick instore.

Shaneus

It's a damn good deal for those external drives. I hadn't checked prices for internals for ages, but turns out they *start* at around $180. At $136, worth buying so you have a USB3 caddy and a 4TB drive (without warranty, obv.).

PS. I'm not as into Idle Thumbs as I used to be, but damn if I don't want this shirt.

Aww yis, just got a call from Dick Smith that my Wii U has been fixed and is ready to be picked up. Just in time for the long weekend! Turns out it had a busted power brick. Dat Nintendo hardware quality.

Playing FFVII is so much less frustrating having played once before and with a guide so I don't miss crucial non-intuitive things. The story is still disjointed, confusing, poorly translated teen melodrama but the gameplay really shines through.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Playing FFVII is so much less frustrating having played once before and with a guide so I don't miss crucial non-intuitive things. The story is still disjointed, confusing, poorly translated teen melodrama but the gameplay really shines through.
I still haven't played a single FF game apart from 13 (which I dropped after a hour) and 14 (which is great but is a MMO) in the context of my increased standards for literature and writing. Not sure if Final Fantasy VII-IX would hold up in that regard.. and especially not X! which I'm planning on picking up the HD version of during the holidays.:p

Jintor

I think the only game that would really hold up would probably be Planescape Torment, at least in that sort of general area. (Of course, fantasy-ish literature the world over is largely crap whatever medium you work in)

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
I think the important thing about art is as long it has something that you can relate to personally it's always enjoyable! I mean persona 4 covers a lot of awesome elements that relate to my life which is why I find it entertaining despite the fact it's pretty animu.

Double post? Sure. Suck on it, bitches!
You didn't ask me, but this is the Internet, so I'll tell you anyway.

They waffle. For much longer. So I stopped caring.
You didn't ask for a reply to a response to a question that I never asked you but I'm just following the trend, so there.

Upfront caveat: most of these comments don't seem to apply when fuck nick is on the show. There were a couple of shows a few weeks back which consisted of the original thumbs crew. These were more enjoyable, consisting of thoughts about games intersperse with bouts of wackiness.

Sean: He changes the dynamic of the show dramatically when he's on. First off, he's not a very good conversationalist. By that, I mean that he takes over any conversations they have. You can tell that he is constantly waiting for an opportunity to speak again and doesn't mind interrupting others multiple times in an effort to express what he wants to say. I think he has a lot of interesting things to say and contributes to conversations but I can't abide rudeness in the form of interrupting.

Interrupting: Not limited to Sean (but mainly Sean) but also includes Jake and to a much lesser extent, Chris. I know I just said it but I can't stand people that interrupt. Look, sometimes you might prematurely launch a sentence too early, or vocalise your agreement/disagreement to someone's point as they are finishing. That I can live with. But flat out making a point half way through - or even a couple of words into - someone's sentence is deplorable. I think Chris is the most interrupted person on the cast and doesn't seem to want to talk over others, so he just stops what he's saying. There have been some casts where I've been yelling "shut the fuck up and let _____ talk" in my head. Seriously, don't be rude pricks. I've very seriously thought about sending a "talking stick" to their offices. I listen because I want to hear what you have to say, which is apparently not a view shared by the cast, themselves.

Committing to Discussing a Subject: There seems to be increasing occurrences where someone stammers around saying they don't really want to get into a subject because of whatever reason and then take a minute umming, ahing and dancing about the subject before discussing it for a bit and then finishing it off by saying they don't really want to get into it and should move on. Either talk about something or don't.

Games: Or lack of. You know you're in trouble when Videogames Rodkin is playing the most out of everyone. So most of the casts seem to be about discussing what's been happening in the industry or talking about reactions others are having to games and goings-on in the industry. The games that Sean and Chris actually are playing they've imposed bans on discussing them (Dota, . They basically have to have guests on so that they can talk about games.

Overall, I really don't think their hearts are in it, anymore. If if were not for the kickstarter they probably wouldn't be podcasting at all or nowhere near the frequency they currenlty are. It's a shame because I enjoyed their enthusiasm, insight and ability to cut dramitcally from insightful commentary to off-the-cuff silliness on a variety of subjects. Sadly, the most interesting thing out of the last few months were the reader mails about the Valve Black Market Currency/Items staff.

About the only thing keeping me listening is 1) it doesn't cost me anything to listen; 2) I listen to them when I'm running and I run a lot so I need a lot of podcasts to listen to; 3) the parts that I enjoy I enjoy and enjoy enough to put up with zoning out the parts that I don't enjoy; 4) habit.

About the only thing keeping me listening is 1) it doesn't cost me anything to listen; 2) I listen to them when I'm running and I run a lot so I need a lot of podcasts to listen to; 3) the parts that I enjoy I enjoy and enjoy enough to put up with zoning out the parts that I don't enjoy; 4) habit.
I think the biggest problem for me is that they need to start editing, and cutting out bits that go nowhere. They can always have an 'outtakes' or 'extended edition' for people that want all that, I guess, but for me what seemed to be mostly a focused but unscripted chat amongst mates has turned into talking for the point of talking. Maybe it didn't change but my patience, I don't know. Perhaps I'm not the audience anyway since there's no way I could even get through a single three hour (WTF?) episode of Giant Bombcast. For the love of <diety>, edit, and edit judiciously!

But then I'll gladly listen to Hardcore History for six hours on one topic, so I'm blaming them. Might give Tone Control a shot, since it sounds like it's a targeted thing.

Yeah really fucking pisses me off on Idle Thumbs when they starting talking about something I'm interested in, someone gets cut off, they completely forget about the topic and go off on an unrelated tangent.

Just a huge waste of time when that happens.

Tone Control is great because it's a one on one interview, almost biographical. Also Steve rarely interrupts!

Also Tone Control has nuggets of information you won't get anywhere else. Steve is pretty rough as an interviewer but he has his moments.

I still haven't played a single FF game apart from 13 (which I dropped after a hour) and 14 (which is great but is a MMO) in the context of my increased standards for literature and writing. Not sure if Final Fantasy VII-IX would hold up in that regard.. and especially not X! which I'm planning on picking up the HD version of during the holidays.:p
Yeah, having read legitimately good stories does out a dampener on my enthusiasm for the plot. Mind you, it doesn't help that all the male cast members in FFVII are giant arseholes.

I think the only game that would really hold up would probably be Planescape Torment, at least in that sort of general area. (Of course, fantasy-ish literature the world over is largely crap whatever medium you work in)
Is there a method of playing Planescape on a portable device with decent game ergonomics? It's like a longstanding dream of mine to have handheld versions of the great WRPGs of yesteryear.

It'll never happen though, because Western devs hate handhelds.

I think the important thing about art is as long it has something that you can relate to personally it's always enjoyable! I mean persona 4 covers a lot of awesome elements that relate to my life which is why I find it entertaining despite the fact it's pretty animu.
I don't even think that's necessary, really. Art can be engrossing even if it is completely divorced from your day to day experience as long as it's done well.

A game also has the advantage of just needing an addictive hook. For me, FFVII has become about hunting down specific monsters for mad loot and/or Enemy Skills. The Steal and Enemy Skill materias have transformed the game for me and the GameFAQs guide has become a mission list.

Heck, if the game were literally just monster hunts with no attempt at story or awful mini games at all, I'd still consider it worth my 15 schmackers.

markot

Banned
8 was terrrrible too.

I actually bought that one when I bought a ps2 (REMEMBER BACKWARDS COMPATIBILITITYITY?!)

I got like 15 hours in and was like 'I dont know what the fuck'.

Dead Man

I haven't played any FF or Metal Gear. Sometimes I feel like an outcast :(

Can't believe I missed that EB $239 Wii U sale by 2 hours. Got the email, was all pumped to finally be able to buy one, get to the website only to see: "Out of stock".

Bah.

Shaneus

What's changed for you, tiger?
You didn't ask me, but this is the Internet, so I'll tell you anyway.

They waffle. For much longer. So I stopped caring.
This. About kinda pointless shit. And because this isn't in the actual IT thread... Sean. He can be good in small doses, but he just has to fucking interrupt everyone with a drawn-out anecdote. And said anecdote or point or whatever is more exhausting than interesting/informative. Tries to control the conversation too much.
Mar, Mr. Bernbaum and myself came to the same conclusion circa PAX last year. It's great when they have other people on (or Sean isn't on) but with Jake being quite Silent Bob-esque in his passive yet succinctness-ness, Sean often just talks over/through him (and Chris, no mean feat).
It's a shame, but I just don't find the stuff they talk about that relevant anymore. Perhaps it's partially because I'm playing fewer games and I'd find any gaming podcast boring (maybe), but even when I was backtracking over their stuff for the first time, their show was interesting. It should be like that now, but it's just like they're all so bored of each other. Episodes are only interesting now when either Nick is there, Sean is away or they have another guest.

Edit: Holy shit, I wrote that post before reading the rest of the thread but it's almost exactly what Jase wrote. I think I missed some points Jase covered, but I'm in complete agreement with him.

Yeah really fucking pisses me off on Idle Thumbs when they starting talking about something I'm interested in, someone gets cut off, they completely forget about the topic and go off on an unrelated tangent.

Just a huge waste of time when that happens.

Tone Control is great because it's a one on one interview, almost biographical. Also Steve rarely interrupts!

Also Tone Control has nuggets of information you won't get anywhere else. Steve is pretty rough as an interviewer but he has his moments.
Yep yep yep yep yep. It's actually more annoying hearing interruptions in IT now because since it was brought to my attention that it's a significant trait of people with ADHD, I have an acute awareness of when it happens. And it happens all. the. fucking. time. in Idle Thumbs.

Right about Tone Control, too. I love Steve's non-interviewing interview style. It's conversationalist but at least it has flow and it's interesting. And it doesn't hop all around between topics. Even the guests I didn't think I'd be interested in, I'm interested in.
One of the many reasons I'm stoked Gone Home was successful is that it probably allowed for a greater range of guests on TC.
Oh, and on that note, I honestly enjoy how not on himself he sounds when bringing up his own game when it's relevant to the discussion/guest/topic. Very humble. Plus, I've always just kinda liked listening to Steve. He always has a great deadpan way of talking that I dig.

On another note: If anyone here's even remotely into pinball (as in, even a passing interest) or hell, even just good podcasts, I highly recommend Coast 2 Coast Pinball. Guy does it on his own in a very conversational manner, fleshes out topics of discussion, has his incredibly gorgeous "opposite-sex life-partner" for less educated but still interesting opinions on various pinball things. Plus, I'm a friend of the show :)

Jintor

Me also

I mean, I don't begrudge it, but I'm not as excited about listening to it anymore.

And I'm so goddamn sick of them surrounding whatever they have to say with warnings about how it might not be relevant or it's not the expert area or whatever. It fills so much time with cruft and nothingness!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom