• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 10 - Node Country for Old Men

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jimrpg

Hello AusGAF - which 3DSXL region console should I get?

I'll be in Malaysia for the foreseeable future, so getting a PAL machine from Australia would mean I'd have to get my mom to send over stuff.

I guess my decision would probably be based on which region has the best games or best version of the games or lowest cost.

I'm thinking of getting a US version console but then I'm not sure if I can buy anything on the online store because I don't have a US credit card. And it would be a pain in the ass to buy Nintendo store credit from Play-asia. Normally I don't buy any DLC to games anyway, but there may be a game or two that would be cool to download onto the system.

I'm not sure about getting a Japanese console because most of their games wouldn't have English? correct me if I'm wrong.

If I get a PAL machine, id be able to buy stuff from the online store, but what are the release dates like these days. Are all the US region games available and have timely releases?

There's about a $40-50 difference between the PAL machine ($220) and the US machine too ($180)... which would mean an extra game.

So far I'm interested in Fire Emblem, Bravely Default and Senran Kagura Burst.... Id probably get others, but my backlog is in the hundreds already...

Shaneus

Also the Thumbs make games now. Never make your hobby your job or you will hate it and have nothing fun to say about it aside from old stories.
Yeah, that's been a massive thing, too. Pre-DF, Chris was somewhat forced to stay in touch with the gaming industry and media etc. because he had to. Now you get the impression that if he didn't have the 'cast, he'd be happy playing Random Indie Title X for all eternity.

Edit: Wait, what's this?
How come Sean only appears in like the last 30 seconds of the whole podcast today? I wasn't paying attention to why he was absent because Nick was making me crack up too much.

That was super good today though. Super duper.
Will listen now.

Hello AusGAF - which 3DSXL region console should I get?

I'll be in Malaysia for the foreseeable future, so getting a PAL machine from Australia would mean I'd have to get my mom to send over stuff.

I guess my decision would probably be based on which region has the best games or best version of the games or lowest cost.

I'm thinking of getting a US version console but then I'm not sure if I can buy anything on the online store because I don't have a US credit card. And it would be a pain in the ass to buy Nintendo store credit from Play-asia. Normally I don't buy any DLC to games anyway, but there may be a game or two that would be cool to download onto the system.

I'm not sure about getting a Japanese console because most of their games wouldn't have English? correct me if I'm wrong.

If I get a PAL machine, id be able to buy stuff from the online store, but what are the release dates like these days. Are all the US region games available and have timely releases?

There's about a $40-50 difference between the PAL machine ($220) and the US machine too ($180)... which would mean an extra game.

So far I'm interested in Fire Emblem, Bravely Default and Senran Kagura Burst.... Id probably get others, but my backlog is in the hundreds already...
If you buy a US 3DS, do what I do and set your region to Alberta, Canada. You get a lower sales tax rate and the Canadian eShop accepts Australian credit cards.

Shin Megami Tensei IV and other US-only games like it make the purchase worth it for me.

Dead Man

Spidey2 was so bad. The humor made it bearable. Top spot alongside iron man 2 for worst superhero movie in recent years.

X:O:W takes that easily. Worst movie I have seen in a long time technically and story wise. Liev Schrieber (sp?) was decent, but that was the only redeeming feature of the trainwreck. IM3 came close to dethroning it though.

markot

Banned
1138.jpg

Origins & Catwoman are bad movies, but the problem with Spidey2 is that the action scenes are awfully shot - made for 3D. Slo-mo's, freeze frames and wide shots just to sell 3D and imax tickets. On top of that, it's a filler movie to set up the final part of the trilogy.

hamchan

Origins & Catwoman are bad movies, but the problem with Spidey2 is that the action scenes are awfully shot - made for 3D. Slo-mo's, freeze frames and wide shots just to sell 3D and imax tickets. On top of that, it's a filler movie to set up the final part of the trilogy.

I remember the first movie being full of those 3D shots too. Wasn't great.

Also disappointing to hear it's a set up movie. I sure hope the thing with Gwen and the Goblin happens though.

Ivory Samoan

Gold Member
So I was in Sydney last week, blue skies and sunshine.

Come back to Auckland, nek minnit - Hurricane strength wind and a tree falls on my car this morning.

God defend New Zealand, my ass.

Spidey2 was so bad. The humor made it bearable. Top spot alongside iron man 2 for worst superhero movie in recent years.

Amazing Spiderman 2 I guess you're talking about here. I didn't like the first one, so I'm not rushing to see the second.

Excluding Green Lantern...

Are you referring to Wolverine, Dead Man? I enjoyed that until he reached the castle or whatever it was.

Green Lantern is easily the worst for mine. Makes the terrible Wolverine movie look good.

catwoman.jpg

Though I haven't seen this one. I never will.

Shaneus

Every cunt and his dog must be looking up whether supermarkets are open today. The Woolworths website is slow as shit and the IGA one is legit down.

Manarola

Banned
So I'm going to be in Sydney this summer (your winter) for something school related. I'm in my mid-20's, but I don't know anybody else in the city. Is the online dating scene popping in Australia? That's usually how I meet women in the US, though I can try it the old fashioned way for once.

Yeah shopping last night was the smart option.

PS4 outselling X1 in the US last month is legit shook. The marketing behemouth of Titanfall, and a Titanfall bundle where it was free with a X1 and another game not taking top spot in basically the only Xbox market remaining is pretty shocking.

It still sold well but PS4 just smoked it.

Omikron

I had to grab some stuff last night for dinner. wish I hadn't, place was stupid busy.

upside, making cheese and vegemite scrolls todayand hibernating inside.

Shaneus

Yeah shopping last night was the smart option.

PS4 outselling X1 in the US last month is legit shook. The marketing behemouth of Titanfall, and a Titanfall bundle where it was free with a X1 and another game not taking top spot in basically the only Xbox market remaining is pretty shocking.

It still sold well but PS4 just smoked it.
Is there a thread about this? I'm curious to see numbers.

Also wouldn't mind seeing numbers between XBO Titanfall and Second Son.

XkKdOhL.jpg

Also wouldn't mind seeing numbers between XBO Titanfall and Second Son.

We only know that Titanfall on PC/X1 combined outsold Second Son, no numbers yet until creamsugar waits for the thread to cool off.

Second Son was #2 for combined sales though so it did well, we already know it sold over 1 million copies WW after 9 days.

Some other tidbits:
1) Microsoft shipped 1.1 million X1's in the US for the first quarter, compared to Sony selling about 1 million PS4's per month WW.
2) Sales for X1 actually dropped last month in the US despite the hugely advertised Titanfall releasing in March (62.2k/week compared to 64.5k/week in Feb)
3) PS4 sold 371,000. X1 sold 311,000. So PS4 outsold the X1 by about 20%.
Also the gap in the US has increased again to 380,000 consoles (from 180k in Dec, 310k in Jan, 320k in Feb).

Deeku

you know, it took me a loooong time to realise what the down in phoenix down meant.

like, i only recently understood lol

Wait.

Am I the only person in the world who thinks Spider-Man 2 is very mediocre and thinks Spider-Man 3 is all sorts of enjoyable terrible goodness?

spider-man-3-dance-o.gif

[Also, I got my first real job today and I'm super excited and this is a big deal for me because I'm super incompetent at anything but Mario Party!]

What were your personal disappointments of last console generation?

Not meaning to say the game had to be a disappoint, only that for one reason or another (list please!) you were pretty down on it at one point.

Tales of Monkey Island - my favourite series ever, I was lucky to drop out of contact with gaming when Escape came out so I heard it was shit before even touching it. To have Telltale pick up the IP after the good/great job with Sam & Max was exhilarating. I pre-ordered direct from them as soon as it went up. It was like fucking Woodstock for me. The resulting episodes were limp and mediocre in almost every respect and killed a small part of my heart forever :(

Alan Wake - it wasn't Max Payne. The 360 version looked pretty bad and ran really bad at launch, controlling Alan was like wadding through molasses. The story had a ton of potential (like BInifinite) but was generally squandered, you could see the remnants of ideas and setpieces left behind but never given the time to blossom. More day time gameplay/exploration would have been godly! The PC version fixed most of the technical issues and gave more control, ended up a really good game by that point with stellar art design.

Final Fantasy 13 - They really fucked it all up. 3 times! I mean, they had been hit after hit since the SNES era! Square fell hard this generation :(

Gear of War 2 - felt like the B-team made it. Stripped the atmosphere out of the first game and shoved in on-rails sections. I felt bored playing it. The writing was even worse than the first one, at least in 1 they had the sense to go with a really basic story in a bigger picture.

Mario 3D World - this is was pandering bullshit that insults the intelligence of any idiot who thinks it's in any shape or fashion a worthwhile video game, total waste of my $30 which in retrospect would have been more enjoyably spent on a half hour enema session

Keen to hear other thoughts! Also I'm a little scared on how this generation will treat me in terms of disappointment, Kickstarter has covered the nostalgia well at least.

So I'm going to be in Sydney this summer (your winter) for something school related. I'm in my mid-20's, but I don't know anybody else in the city. Is the online dating scene popping in Australia? That's usually how I meet women in the US, though I can try it the old fashioned way for once.
Online dating is pretty big here. Pretty sure at least one person here on AusGAF met their current partner through one of those things. A mate of mine was on there for years to pick up women casually before settling into his current relationship.

Wait.

Am I the only person in the world who thinks Spider-Man 2 is very mediocre and thinks Spider-Man 3 is all sorts of enjoyable terrible goodness?

spider-man-3-dance-o.gif

[Also, I got my first real job today and I'm super excited and this is a big deal for me because I'm super incompetent at anything but Mario Party!]
Woo! Congrats dude! Time to have your soul crushed by the real world!

What were your personal disappointments of last console generation?

it was a long generation and I played a lot of games, so its a long list

Metal Gear Solid 4. I remember liking it at the time, but not being blown away by it. I tried to replay it last year and I spent more time installing it than playing it. "eh, we're done here."

Rainbow Six Vegas 2. I liked the first one but the second one just seemed broken.

Assassin's Creed III. I got bored of 1, loved II, loved Brotherhood, didn't mind Revelations despite it being creaky. hated III. Just so dull and lacking in fun. IV was a return to form.

Call of Juarez: Bound in Blood. I really liked the first CoJ but those fucking duels were near impossible with thumbsticks. I only came back to Gunslinger because it was cheap on PC, and a way better game.

Medal of Honor: Vanguard- this was the only 3rd party Wii game I bought. It was fuck awful. Every time I rewatch Band of Brothers, I have an urge to play MoH games. This game cured me of that. However, I'm watching BoB right now and looking to see if Allied Assault is on Steam (it's not). oh look its on GOG!

Splinter Cell Double Agent- Yeah, I'd wish I'd gotten the OG Xbox version since everyone says that one was better. It wasn't awful, it just felt padded out and coming soon after Chaos Theory.

Just Cause 2- everyone else loved it, but I wasn't a fan. I got it on PC, but this is something I'd preferred I bought on console.

Both Zeldas on Wii. I never finished either. TP never got finished because I'd be side-tracked and when I came back to the game, it would take ages to work out where I needed to go next. SS was just because it started repeating sections for no reason other than to make it way longer than it needed to be.

Gears of War- the first one. I like 2 and 3, but one just seems to have a difficulty boner that made it frustrating to trudge through.

Resistance- I got half way through 1 and 2, but there's something missing from these games. There's no charisma.

New Super Mario Bros Wii- I liked it but Nintendo's refusal to add a fucking checkpoit before the boss pissed me off. So what if I'm a lousy player, let me play the fucking game without having to cheat. I haven't finished many 2D Marios (compared to all but Galaxy 1 of the 3D games).

Dead Rising- Fun apart from bosses. That actually is a good way to describe how I feel about most most Japanese games these days- totally at odds with the games I loved when I was younger.

Crackdown 2- I did enjoy playing it, I just didn't think it was better than the first one, which was a genuine surprise

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2. I am a CoD fan. MW2 was the most anticipated release but really pissed away most of what was fun about multiplayer and upped the stupid quotient. And this was before IW was gutted. Looking back, BLOPS I and II were really good.

CoD:Ghosts- it lasted a week before I stopped playing. I may go back and play SP at some point because that wasn't awful, just the broken multi-player.

Killzone 2 and 3. KZ 2 because of the last boss battle just went on and on. KZ 3 was ok but still lacking in spark. And also, Fuck Guerrilla.

GTA IV- Fuck off with bowling.

That said, I really enjoyed the generation that gave us Mirror's Edge, Super Mario Galaxy, Orange Box, Uncharted, Portal, Mass Effect, Skyrim, Fallout 3 and New Vegas, Crackdown, Red Faction Guerrilla, Infamous, GTA V, CoD (4, WaW, Blops 1 and II), Bad Company, Shadow Complex, Last of Us.

I've just realised I've now played and finished and enjoyed more games on Wii U than the whole time of owning a Wii.

Wait.

spider-man-3-dance-o.gif

Rezbit also loves Spiderman 3.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom