• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 10 - Node Country for Old Men

Status
Not open for further replies.
Happy easter! Enjoy your hot cross buns!

Oh ok. Yeh they're in no way fedora level.

People who wear those that ive seen tend to be relatively trendy.

Fedoras are for pasty nerdz

It depends on who is wearing it. Flat caps on past nerds are more fedora-y than fedoras. But they can look cool otherwise.

Ugh shouldn't have drunk beers all day before the 4 hour drive to the other parentals, the child is asleep so I don't want to stop the car!

Random non-segue

But what the fuck is up with the prices for the new consoles here? I decidedly to take a look at the current prices and deals...and it's absurd.

$550 for a PS4....with no bundles or games whatsoever, yet the Xbox One is $599 with Forza & Titanfall + 1 free month of Live. I have no desire to purchase an Xbox One, but the compared value is rather nice.

For a PS4, additional controller & 3-4 games, we're looking at around $800+.
Sony don't give a fuck about AU region.

I would like to take this opportunity to thank ausgaffers of years past who conversed on the magical qualities creme eggs attain when frozen. You were all right.

Stackboy

So my battle.net account got hacked last year and my copy of D3 got banned, but I was over playing D3 so I never got around to getting it restored. I saw Lexi playing the expansion last weekend and after reading a few reviews its got me back on the D3 bandwagon. With a little help from Lexi (thanks again!!), I got Blizzard to restore my copy of D3 and picked up the expansion. I have the next week off work, so I should be able to make some good progress.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
So my battle.net account got hacked last year and my copy of D3 got banned, but I was over playing D3 so I never got around to getting it restored. I saw Lexi playing the expansion last weekend and after reading a few reviews its got me back on the D3 bandwagon. With a little help from Lexi (thanks again!!), I got Blizzard to restore my copy of D3 and picked up the expansion. I have the next week off work, so I should be able to make some good progress.

awesomes. its fun. i need to finish it but elder scrolls online has stolen my attentions.

but it seems theres a few gaffers on most nights

Shaneus

I would like to take this opportunity to thank ausgaffers of years past who conversed on the magical qualities creme eggs attain when frozen. You were all right.
Man, that's harkening back a fuuuucking long way. I honestly couldn't even remember what year I was buying CCEs en masse from CotD and freezing them.

It was a time I'd rather forget. I was at the point where I was literally having a few in place of a meal every so often. Scary.

Dead Man

I have just submitted my VISA application to join you guys. May the immigration gods be merciful and swift. \[-_-]/

Not a fan of ales, but the label is really cute. Why was it so amazing?

Bad news for you on that visa application...

Fargo (tv series) is brilliant.

Just took my second stab at watching it, I just am not enjoying it. William H Macy was a sympathetic sociopathic loser, Martin Freeman is just someone I want to slap around for being so pathetic. Thornton is good, but everything else is just laid on too thick I think.

Just took my second stab at watching it, I just am not enjoying it. William H Macy was a sympathetic sociopathic loser, Martin Freeman is just someone I want to slap around for being so pathetic. Thornton is good, but everything else is just laid on too thick I think.

Ah fair enough. I never saw the original so I have nothing to compare it to.

I had the most amazing beer tonight.
I HATE YOU SO MUCH RIGHT NOW >_<

#LandOfSolAndCarlton

I have just submitted my VISA application to join you guys. May the immigration gods be merciful and swift. \[-_-]/

Woo! If you tell them you have white skin and speak fluent English you are 200 times more likely for them to read your application rather than drop it straight into the shredder!

Also it's odd you still have the XSSED tag lol

I was sure you would highlight the 'merciful and swift' part of my post. Immigration is going to see more than enough pictures of me drinking various types of alcohol to forgive me the general dislike of ales. :p

My love of beer and wine will bump me to the front of the pack!

It has a slightly burnt taste and it's not too bitter. I don't know how to describe the feeling - it was a cold beer but felt very warm in my mouth.

Hmmm... It's the bitterness that I don't care for in ales, but the cold/hot contrast sounds interesting. I'm trying a honey-bourbon cask beer right now. It's a bit weird, to be honest.

I HATE YOU SO MUCH RIGHT NOW >_<

#LandOfSolAndCarlton

Woo! If you tell them you have white skin and speak fluent English you are 200 times more likely for them to read your application rather than drop it straight into the shredder!

Also it's odd you still have the XSSED tag lol

That's kind of sad. :( But, they'll see enough through my passport pics and photo documentation anyway.

As for my tag, I do still do work for them, so it's not a total lie. Maybe I'll ask for it to be amended to my other job title, "Community Bacon," which is still totally accurate. :)

I had the most amazing beer tonight.

Where about is Aus are you? I know of some bottle shops that stock A LOT of micro/smaller brews, but I am still in SA and they obviously can't all make their way here :p

Did it have *that* Red Ale taste? Have you tried any other Red Ales? I do a bit of home brewing and the recipe I used for "Irish Red Ale" has a very distinct roasted barley/grain taste to it.

Probably 80% of beer styles (there's a lot!) are classified as ales...

Some info: http://www.periodicbeer.com
It has a slightly burnt taste and it's not too bitter. I don't know how to describe the feeling - it was a cold beer but felt very warm in my mouth.
Lots of red ales have roasted barley which gives off that sort of taste, likely it was that. If you want an extreme example of that style, look out for Stone's Arrogant Bastard. There's a few around Melbourne right now. The Mountain Goat Hightail Ale and Fancy Pants both share similarities too from memory.

Where about is Aus are you? I know of some bottle shops that stock A LOT of micro/smaller brews, but I am still in SA and they obviously can't all make their way here :p

Did it have *that* Red Ale taste? Have you tried any other Red Ales? I do a bit of home brewing and the recipe I used for "Irish Red Ale" has a very distinct roasted barley/grain taste to it.

Melbourne. Do you know any places in the western suburbs that carry craft beers?

This was the first one I tried.

Lots of red ales have roasted barley which gives off that sort of taste, likely it was that.

Yeah it said so on the side of the bottle.

I'll look out for other red ales, thanks.

Apparently JB Hi Fi are selling Hori Arcade Pro EX2 sticks for $35. Anyone have any experience with these?

I have a Mad Catz SF4 Tourny stick, but another stick wouldn't go astray for the once every two years I have someone over who can actually play fighting games.

Shaneus

They're not great, and not a lot can be done with them unfortunately. Best mine was good for was some arcade buttons I needed for my pinball controller thing. The joystick itself is kinda average (and not really moddable at all... at least not enough).
Even for $35, I'd give it a miss.

Would love your Madcatz SF4 TE stick though. How's it holding up?

They're not great, and not a lot can be done with them unfortunately. Best mine was good for was some arcade buttons I needed for my pinball controller thing. The joystick itself is kinda average (and not really moddable at all... at least not enough).
Even for $35, I'd give it a miss.

Would love your Madcatz SF4 TE stick though. How's it holding up?

Guess I'll give it a pass then. I really don't need a second stick because no way in hell is my girlfriend ever going to be a challenger! hehe.

It's a first run SF4 TE stick from when SF4 first released. Still works perfectly! I've been getting into KOFXIII lately which is loads of fun. My friend was fortunate enough to pick up 2 Soul Calibur 4 TE sticks for $70 each I think from one of the online retailers. Looking at prices now they've held up insanely well... and the Xbone stick is $250 or something similarly obscene.

Dead Man

I was sure you would highlight the 'merciful and swift' part of my post. Immigration is going to see more than enough pictures of me drinking various types of alcohol to forgive me the general dislike of ales. :p

My love of beer and wine will bump me to the front of the pack!

Well, if they were merciful I wouldn't have to have bolded the info about ale :) Hope everything goes smoothly for you though. Australian visas can be a bit of a pain. I had a permanent residency visa before I got my citizenship, had to be renewed every 5 years though. Utter pain in the arse. And quite often when coming through airports returning to Australia they would grill me because apparently it was an uncommon class of visa. Good times.

Deeku

So after some pretty awesome 10+ hour sleeps over the 4 day weekend, I slept like 4 hours last night...feel like absolute craaaap! Lucky you guys get another long weekend.

Dead Man

Which websites?

Missed this conversation before, it is relevant to my interests. Now that I am skinny and fucking handsome (lol) I need some company, but all my friends now are middle aged gay men who never do anything but have barbecues at each others houses.

Not a great way to make a social life when I am near 40 myself.

Need to get a job just so I can meet some new people, lol.

Anyway, after the over sharing, what are the good websites for dating?

Shaneus

So, the TV show Silicon Valley is fucking awesome as at episode 1. Mike Judge (Office Space, Idiocracy) + IT theme = fucking gold. It's like Big Bang Theory, but it has nerds acting like nerds and not as caricatures of nerds. Oh, and it's a HBO series so plenty of fucking swearing.

Missed this conversation before, it is relevant to my interests. Now that I am skinny and fucking handsome (lol) I need some company, but all my friends now are middle aged gay men who never do anything but have barbecues at each others houses.
If I can ask a personal question, how did you skinny?

So, the TV show Silicon Valley is fucking awesome as at episode 1. Mike Judge (Office Space, Idiocracy) + IT theme = fucking gold. It's like Big Bang Theory, but it has nerds acting like nerds and not as caricatures of nerds. Oh, and it's a HBO series so plenty of fucking swearing.

I thought episode 2 was a lot funnier than the first, so if you loved the first ep you should be pleased going forward.

Kritz

Banned
Watched two episodes of Silicon Valley and hated them both. Like, boy, that show's incredibly unfunny.

And I usually love Mike Judge.

Kritz

Banned
Yet here's a show whose punchlines include, "as useless as mass effect 3's ending" and "I was thinking VHS over beta".

Silicon Valley is Big Bang Theory without the laugh track to remind you that someone was hired to write jokes.

Kritz

Banned
Yeah, I also think IT Crowd is junk too. One or two of the first season's episodes were okay, but the rest wasn't anything special.

For what it's worth, the overall pacing of Silicon Valley is pretty good, it's just the reference humour falls so flat compared to jokes with actual setup and delivery.

Lucian Cat

Kissed a mod for a tag; liked it

Yay!!!!!!!!!!!!! You need to come back to Adelaide soon!

Not a great way to make a social life when I am near 40 myself.

Need to get a job just so I can meet some new people, lol.

Anyway, after the over sharing, what are the good websites for dating?
I met my dude on OKCupid. So I guess I can vouch for that site. Mostly. Lot of twats there though.
I'd suggest we hang out but I'm not very exciting. BBQ's sound more exciting than what I do.

While we're voicing unpopular opinions (not liking IT Crowd not not liking TBBT), The Lego Movie was underwhelming. Looked great but was only laugh out loud funny twice. At most thrice. Needed more LOLS
Finally seeing The Grand Budapest Hotel last week was not tho. That shit was tight.

Yeah I'm really enjoying it. (Well besides T.J Miller's character)
The pilot was great but I was scared it wouldn't continue to be but episode 3 was the funniest yet and the plot's going along fine and dandy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom