• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 10 - Node Country for Old Men

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arksy

Missed this conversation before, it is relevant to my interests. Now that I am skinny and fucking handsome (lol) I need some company, but all my friends now are middle aged gay men who never do anything but have barbecues at each others houses.

Not a great way to make a social life when I am near 40 myself.

Need to get a job just so I can meet some new people, lol.

Anyway, after the over sharing, what are the good websites for dating?

Try Tinder, it's so damn easy to use, it's a mobile app and the way it works is basically a giant game of dating-chicken, you get shown a bunch of profiles from people around your area and you basically say yes/no to a bunch of people and if you say yes and they say yes back you get a match and you can msg each other through the app and set up dates and the like.

Oh congratulations in becoming skinny and fucking handsome. :D

Deeku

tinder is purely used for hooking up tho. like, i guess okc is the same, but tinder is just saying yes or no to pics

Gazunta

Apparently JB Hi Fi are selling Hori Arcade Pro EX2 sticks for $35. Anyone have any experience with these?

I have a Mad Catz SF4 Tourny stick, but another stick wouldn't go astray for the once every two years I have someone over who can actually play fighting games.
I have a Hori Ex 2 and I love it to absolute bits. $35 is a steal. Fuck I might pick up another one tomorrow.

Woo! All parental appointments are done until Christmas now. So glad it's over, don't go back to work until next Monday! Next week we have Thursday off for Cup day so another short week :)

Which websites?
Nothing unusual, OkCupid is the main one along with Tinder which has gotten more popular apparently.

Missed this conversation before, it is relevant to my interests. Now that I am skinny and fucking handsome (lol) I need some company, but all my friends now are middle aged gay men who never do anything but have barbecues at each others houses.

Not a great way to make a social life when I am near 40 myself.

Need to get a job just so I can meet some new people, lol.

Anyway, after the over sharing, what are the good websites for dating?
I hear Grindr is nowhere near as good as it should be, comparative to it's social status (although as a married straight man I only have 2nd hand knowledge from some gay guys I know, pretty sure it's only for dudes too?). Sounds super basic which is shocking considering if they improved the system it would only help them grow exponentially.

Otherwise yeah, OkCupid seems to have the best success rate going on anecdotal evidence from friends.

Also congrats on the weight loss! Hoping to start DDP Yoga next week and ease myself into some weight loss of my own!

Also the best way in my opinion is still to go out to social events and have a few drinks! Expanding your friendship group is a nice way to branch out and organically come across single people in their friendship groups (worked for me!).

Maybe take up pinball!

Yet here's a show whose punchlines include, "as useless as mass effect 3's ending" and "I was thinking VHS over beta".

Silicon Valley is Big Bang Theory without the laugh track to remind you that someone was hired to write jokes.
Nah.

Silicon Valley is Entourage for tech geeks.

Feels and runs incredibly similar, especially the low key humour.

Yeah, I also think IT Crowd is junk too. One or two of the first season's episodes were okay, but the rest wasn't anything special.

WHAT THE HELL DOOOOO YOU LIKE KRITZ?!?!

>_<

We both know that no comedy will measure up to the current greatness of Rick & Morty so don't hold others up to this impossible standard!!!

markot

Banned
IT crowd isnt funney?

Its the height of larity.

All Graham Linehan stuff is great.

Big Train? Tick.

Father Ted? Tick.

Black Books? Tick.

IT Crowd? Tick.

4 Tick beer.

OH ALMOST FORGOT

MEGATON

Tons of PSP/PSOne games are being opened up to being played on Vita for some unknown reason! Hope it's not a mistake.

This means Vita has Burnout Legends. BURNOUT LEGENDS!

Vita wins this generation hands down. No contest. Game over man.

The fuck did this become a beer thread? Rep, post some bargains or some shit.

Oh of course, I'm back now! I've retweeted most of the good ones :/

Ummmmm

Domino's has 2 good coupons atm for some "good" pizzas.
543637 (mostly) nationwide for $4.95 large Supreme pizza (drop 2 ingredients and put on prawns & chicken for best bang for buck). Coupon lasts until 11th May.
06342 (mostly) nationwide for $4.95 large BBQ Meatlovers pizza. Coupon lasts until 30th April.

Dark Souls 2 steamkey for $37.50 with GMG025-EASTER-024HRS coupon

BOMBA Titanfall Origin keys from Amazon are USD $37 today or you can get the Deluxe edition (includes Season Pass) for $45 through the Mexican Origin storefront using Hulu/VPN

Also just as bomba is the X1 version which you can get for AUD $52 posted from Amazon today!

Shaneus

OH ALMOST FORGOT

MEGATON

Tons of PSP/PSOne games are being opened up to being played on Vita for some unknown reason! Hope it's not a mistake.

This means Vita has Burnout Legends. BURNOUT LEGENDS!

Vita wins this generation hands down. No contest. Game over man.

Oh of course, I'm back now! I've retweeted most of the good ones :/

Ummmmm

Domino's has 2 good coupons atm for some "good" pizzas.
543637 (mostly) nationwide for $4.95 large Supreme pizza (drop 2 ingredients and put on prawns & chicken for best bang for buck). Coupon lasts until 11th May.
06342 (mostly) nationwide for $4.95 large BBQ Meatlovers pizza. Coupon lasts until 30th April.

Dark Souls 2 steamkey for $37.50 with GMG025-EASTER-024HRS coupon

BOMBA Titanfall Origin keys from Amazon are USD $37 today or you can get the Deluxe edition (includes Season Pass) for $45 through the Mexican Origin storefront using Hulu/VPN

Also just as bomba is the X1 version which you can get for AUD $52 posted from Amazon today!
You rock, Hansel.

Is Burnout Legends the one on PSP? How much do PSP/PS1 games go for on PSN these days?

Edit: Fuck, when did that bonus $10 thing finish up on PSN? Just remembered that now :/

Edit #2: See how much Burnout is? $30. Fuuuuuck. That.

You rock, Hansel.

Is Burnout Legends the one on PSP? How much do PSP/PS1 games go for on PSN these days?

Edit: Fuck, when did that bonus $10 thing finish up on PSN? Just remembered that now :/

Edit #2: See how much Burnout is? $30. Fuuuuuck. That.

We basically only got one or two PSP freebies here in AU Shane, GTA LCS was a recent one.

Also just realised we got LEGO LOTR at some point on Vita PS+ lolol

ANYWAY

I hope this policy/contractual agreement change leads to a PSP game sale next week to celebrate the new glut of games for the Vita. Would make a ton of sense for Sony/Pubs to capitalise on the new policy.

Although that seems way too smart for Sony in regards to the Vita :(

Also yeah, Legends is still more expensive digitally than when I bought a retail copy a few weeks after it came out on PSP o_O

Best Burnout ever though. Perfect for portable play.

PSOne games tend to go on sale fairly regular. Picked up all the Crash and FF ones fairly cheap. Hoping the Spyro trilogy goes under $10 again soon :)

Any phonies in here? R D R R

Looking for a new android phone to buy outright. What would people recommend for best price/performance balance? Any crazy sales happening at the moment?

Shaneus

Any phonies in here? R D R R

Looking for a new android phone to buy outright. What would people recommend for best price/performance balance? Any crazy sales happening at the moment?
I'm looking at getting an Android to replace my 4S and the one I'll be going for is the Sony Xperia Z1 Compact. Only problem is the camera flash bleed issue which is why I'm holding out until Australia gets the most recent factory build (14W11). $550 @ Telstra outright, but should be lower elsewhere once their exclusivity ends.

Fredescu

Hi Ausgaffers, I have a daughter now! She was born last week. It all seems so much easier this time around even with the complication of a toddler. He loves her though and it's so cute when a three year old talks in baby talk to a baby. Hope you're all doing well.

jambo

Congrats Fred!

Hmmm how does that compare to the standard Xperia Z? That can be had for a comparable price for the 16 gig version these days.

Just remember that the Xperia Z is 9 months older than the Nexus 5 and is also only on Android 4.3, whereas the Nexus 5 is on 4.4.2.

Also the Xperia Z has a nipple...

Shaneus

Congrats, Fred! Glad to hear all are doing well after the second :) Does she have a name?

Well the Xperia Z is 2 generations old now. Z, Z1 & now Z2 is just about the be released.
Nexus 5 still has pretty much 'flagship' specs.
With the exception of screen resolution, the Z1 Compact, Z1 and Nexus 5 literally have identical specifications.

Personally sticking with the Compact as it's the only one making any kind of attempt to stay small(ish).

r1chard

Hi Ausgaffers, I have a daughter now! She was born last week. It all seems so much easier this time around even with the complication of a toddler. He loves her though and it's so cute when a three year old talks in baby talk to a baby. Hope you're all doing well.
Congrats!!!!

This, hands down. It's a bloody good phone.

While at tech conference last couple of weeks kept running into the problem that 5 people at a table would have Nexus 5s (and one would have iPhone). And we were all too lazy to change the default ringtones :)

Congrats Fred!

Just remember that the Xperia Z is 9 months older than the Nexus 5 and is also only on Android 4.3, whereas the Nexus 5 is on 4.4.2.

Also the Xperia Z has a nipple...

You have something against nipples?

Well the Xperia Z is 2 generations old now. Z, Z1 & now Z2 is just about the be released.
Nexus 5 still has pretty much 'flagship' specs.

Yeah, I guess the original Z is kind of ancient now since it's been out for a year. The rate of mobile phone progress blows my mind. Is a phone generation basically every 6 months? Insane.

Looks like the Nexus 5 is the best value proposition at the moment. Thanks for the advice everyone!

bomma_man

I was really hoping Royksopp would tour and maybe Sigur Ros or something. There's a few acts there I would like to see, but not enough to justify spending $500+

The anniversary festival they had in Woodford with LCD, the Strokes, the Pixies etc etc was close to the greatest three days of my life, but I'm not sure that I could do it anymore (both physically and financially).

Sucks that Outkast aren't playing any side shows though.

Tommy DJ

The LG G2 is far better than the Nexus 5 will ever be. The LG skin sucks but some of the additions, like tap to wake, are welcome. If you hate the launcher, you can find another one on the Google Play store. Its also fairly similar to the Nexus 5 in terms of hardware so you have access to tons of stock Android ROMs.

For $50 more than the 16GB Nexus 5, you get a phone that can probably get double the screen-on time. For me, that's a no brainer.

The Nexus 5 is only good value if we're looking at MSRP. The problem with that analysis is that the vast majority of Android phones don't hold their MSRP after being in the market for a few months.

The LG G2 is far better than the Nexus 5 will ever be. The LG skin sucks but some of the additions, like tap to wake, are welcome. If you hate the launcher, you can find another one on the Google Play store. Its also fairly similar to the Nexus 5 in terms of hardware so you have access to tons of stock Android ROMs.

For $50 more than the 16GB Nexus 5, you get a phone that can probably get double the screen-on time. For me, that's a no brainer.

The Nexus 5 is only good value if we're looking at MSRP. The problem with that analysis is that the vast majority of Android phones don't hold their MSRP after being in the market for a few months.

Ah, now this is interesting. I see there is a good deal on the G2 on Ozbargain at the moment. Hmmm.

1+ 1 is maybe a little big for me, 5.5 inch is a hell of a lot bigger than my Galaxy S2. Would be happy to stay under 5 inches. LG G2 is getting up there too. Both are a damn good price though.

Always a chance I'll jump onto another plan to grab the Galaxy S5 but there really aren't any decent deals around. Still planning on going N5 if my phone/the wife's phone dies soon.

Wowie. Some really special remarks there my friend.

LG G2 Pros:
Bigger screen (5.2" vs 5")
Front looks beautiful with its tiny bezels
Great battery life
LG G3 just about to be announced making the G2 worth squat
Better camera

LG G2 Cons:
Volume & power buttons on back of phone
Horrible LG skin/TouchWiz clone
Heavier (143g vs 130g)
Bigger & fatter
Plasticy/cheaper feel
Slow updates
Harder to root/add custom recovery after KitKat update

PS. 'Knock On' isn't a pro as both have this functionality but N5 has Swipe2Sleep/Wake as well.

Congrats, Fred! Hope everyone's doing OK.

--

On phones, the Nexus line being standard Android is, for me, much more important than minor differences in specs or features I'll likely never use.

Being at the mercy of third party vendors and carriers means updates take forever and it shits me. The 'Google version' HTC and Samsung are both doing is a good step. Third party ROMs are OK, but they're often full of weird little bugs that are even more annoying.

Also, the Sony phone has a much lower PPI, and that shouldn't be discounted. I'd buy the Nexus 5 if I were buying right now. I do like that the Sonys are waterproof and shock proof though.

Personally sticking with the Compact as it's the only one making any kind of attempt to stay small(ish).

My top 5 at the moment would be (for someone who ISN'T a phone geek):

1. HTC One (M8)
2. Sony Xperia Z2
3. Sony Xperia Z1 Compact
4. Nexus 5
5. LG G2
or cheap phone: Moto G

Tommy DJ

Wowie. Some really special remarks there my friend.

LG G2 Pros:
Bigger screen (5.2" vs 5")
Front looks beautiful with its tiny bezels
Great battery life
LG G3 just about to be announced making the G2 worth squat
Better camera

LG G2 Cons:
Volume & power buttons on back of phone
Horrible LG skin/TouchWiz clone
Heavier (143g vs 130g)
Bigger & fatter
Plasticy/cheaper feel
Slow updates
Harder to root/add custom recovery after KitKat update

PS. 'Knock On' isn't a pro as both have this functionality but N5 has Swipe2Sleep/Wake as well.

Since when does the Nexus 5 have Knock On without a root? Furthermore, it increases idle battery draw and the Nexus 5 has a pretty tiny battery so its hardly a perfect solution.

Half of your cons are cons because you say they are. If you quantify them, they're hardly cons at all. The increase in size and weight aren't even worth mentioning because the increase in size is minuscule and the increase of weight makes it weigh as much as a...iPhone 4s.

What you get for $50 extra, 0.66mm x 1.73mm x 0.31mm increase in size and 0.13g of extra weight are:
- Better screen with significantly better contrast and black depth.
- Larger battery.
- Screen that draws significantly less power.
- IR Blaster if you care about it.
- Extra 0.2" of screen real-estate.
- Better camera with better software and hardware OIS

All of these benefits aren't only for phone nerds. Better screen is better screen; way better battery life is way better battery life; better camera with hardware OIS gives you better photos and videos.

The G3 coming out doesn't change the fact that every part of the hardware is better than the Nexus 5 for a very small additional cost. If you want stock so badly, just flash a some of the billion ROMs floating around XDA. Porting Nexus 5 ROMs to the G2 is apparently very easy because the internal hardware is very similar (same manufacturer and similar release date), which is what I was getting at.

Literally the only thing that makes the Nexus 5 better value if you have an absolute need for stock Android and absolutely do not want to flash or give the LG skin a try.

Shaneus

Also, the Sony phone has a much lower PPI, and that shouldn't be discounted. I'd buy the Nexus 5 if I were buying right now. I do like that the Sonys are waterproof and shock proof though.
Perhaps shouldn't be discounted if you're happy with a phone the size of a shoebox. Besides, at a distance of around ~50cm or so I doubt I could tell the difference b/w ~340 and 440ppi. Hell, I can barely tell the difference between my 4S and Vita at distances I use both at.

Haha no way! That Vita OLED goodness is remarkable compared to the yucky 4S!

To step away from all this phone talk
that I started
for a moment.

What do people think of the new Lily Allen song? I think the lyrics are awful, and the song itself is average but I know she has some fans here: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=806397

It's another satire single by the looks of it. Pretty sure the entire album is satire as I remember her noting on one of those pommie late night shows the only reason she was putting out more music was to riff on current pop music trends.

Axiom

Considering it's looking likely I'll be single again soon, I do appreciate the dating chat.

I don't think I've ever used anything but OkCupid, Tinder seems offputting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom