• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 10 - Node Country for Old Men

Status
Not open for further replies.

legend166

Ugh, I hate thieves. My car got broken into last night. They stole my sunglasses that I bought when I went to Paris and my headphones that I bought when I went to New York. And a tennis racquet. They left the golf clubs though, and that's good because they were the most expensive thing in there.

Anyone had to deal with an insurance claim for something like this? Wondering if they're going to want proof of purchase.

Ugh, I hate thieves. My car got broken into last night. They stole my sunglasses that I bought when I went to Paris and my headphones that I bought when I went to New York. And a tennis racquet. They left the golf clubs though, and that's good because they were the most expensive thing in there.

Anyone had to deal with an insurance claim for something like this? Wondering if they're going to want proof of purchase.

That sucks. What type of idiotic thief steals a tennis racquet over golf clubs.

legend166

That sucks. What type of idiotic thief steals a tennis racquet over golf clubs.

Probably just some punk teenager going around and putting things into a bag. The police help line said there had been a few in my area, and the cops would come out to get the fingerprints off the car. That was about 3 hours ago, and they still haven't come, so probably just time to move on.

I'll ring the insurance company tomorrow - the total value of the stuff is around $400. Something like this wouldn't effect my no claim bonus right?

Danoss

I'll ring the insurance company tomorrow - the total value of the stuff is around $400. Something like this wouldn't effect my no claim bonus right?

NCB is only affected by at fault claims. Unless you stole your own shit, or it was stolen while you were crashing your vehicle, you're fine.

Started and finished Papa & Yo today. Knowing the story behind the development makes it a super depressing experience.

Also finished Batman Arkham Origins. It was OK I guess. Fell victim to the Ubi-style insane open world collectathon garbage. I really think the design of the first's world was tighter than the other two. Doubt Arkham Knight will change that much.

Finished The Last of Us tonight. 23 hours total.

This is me at the end

ooWZ2bJ.jpg

I'll write up some proper thoughts on it tomorrow.

I also need to play something happy and delightful tomorrow :/

Also Nate Wells is the biggest loss to Naughty Dog. His art direction is WITHOUT A DOUBT the best in the industry. I'm going to pickup the HD version of TLoU on PS4 based on seeing the high resolution art alone. Blows every other game out of the water on sheer quality of texture placement.

lol, totes bought another pinball machine. Gaz still has none.
Congrats!

Suck it Gaz!

Sorry dude :(

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Also finished Batman Arkham Origins. It was OK I guess. Fell victim to the Ubi-style insane open world collectathon garbage. I really think the design of the first's world was tighter than the other two. Doubt Arkham Knight will change that much.

Also playing through this at the moment. It still feels like a typical batman game, Which is a good and bad thing I guess.

I am enjoying it, To a point, But I do agree about the collectathon garbage that happens.

I also didn't understand the second large mission at the cop station. Do it silently .. But i knocked the fuck out of everyone... I guess that's silent?

I bit on that cheap Kindle paperwhite for under $50 that some people have been offered by Amazon. I currently use my old ipad 2 for reading kindle books in the "reading room" where I prefer not to take my new ipad air. I assume they're pretty decent.

TLoU HD is out this year, rumoured to be June but Amazon changed that date so it's still sometime in 2014 at the latest.

ALSO

Peeps with Chromecast! Does it have Cinavia firmware embedded? It's the Sony DRM that mutes the sound on a whole bunch of movies after 20 minutes as digital copies are illegal apparently.

It's built into the PS3 firmware now and my son wants to watch Arthur Christmas but the blu ray is scratched to hell and back (this is why he's not allowed in the office unattended now) >_<

Fredescu

Congrats Fred and yes you should buy a Surface Pro 2 it's actually a pretty good gaming machine :)

All I ever play on it is LEGO Marvel and emulators
Have you tried much else? Anything you've tried and failed? I'm sort of considering a Thinkpad Yoga.

Danoss

I bit on that cheap Kindle paperwhite for under $50 that some people have been offered by Amazon. I currently use my old ipad 2 for reading kindle books in the "reading room" where I prefer not to take my new ipad air. I assume they're pretty decent.

I'm guessing that's a US only deal, and a very good one at that.

I recently upgraded my Kindle 2 to the new Paperwhite and everything about it is so much better, it's exactly what I had hoped. I don't know how some people can withstand long periods of reading on a tablet device, my eyes feel like they're going to burn out of their sockets very quickly. Either way, enjoy your new ereader, they're excellent little things.

You may find yourself wanting to convert some book formats into something readable by the Kindle. For this, there is Calibre. Note that you can email books you may have obtained elsewhere or longform articles found online to your Kindle using the send-to-Kindle address found in the settings and/or a browser extension. You get 5GB of space to do this and I believe you get the same benefits provided by books purchased through the Kindle store, ie. synced bookmarks, re-download from anywhere, etc. Some may need to be converted beforehand, some can be done by Amazon.

I'm guessing that's a US only deal, and a very good one at that.

I recently upgraded my Kindle 2 to the new Paperwhite and everything about it is so much better, it's exactly what I had hoped. I don't know how some people can withstand long periods of reading on a tablet device, my eyes feel like they're going to burn out of their sockets very quickly. Either way, enjoy your new ereader, they're excellent little things.

You may find yourself wanting to convert some book formats into something readable by the Kindle. For this, there is Calibre. Note that you can email books you may have obtained elsewhere or longform articles found online to your Kindle using the send-to-Kindle address found in the settings and/or a browser extension. You get 5GB of space to do this and I believe you get the same benefits provided by books purchased through the Kindle store, ie. synced bookmarks, re-download from anywhere, etc. Some may need to be converted beforehand, some can be done by Amazon.

The only non-Kindle book I have is Super Blow the Cartridge, and that's on my iPad anyway should I need to re-read it. That name again, Super Blow the Cartridge.
I mean I live the Making of Star Wars books but when RotJ was $13 on Kindle compared to $55 for the hardcover on Amazon, I think my days of buying real books are deader than the authors of the free ebooks.

Gazunta

Have you tried much else? Anything you've tried and failed? I'm sort of considering a Thinkpad Yoga.

The Yoga has a larger screen in its favour, but at the end of the day I don't trust Lenovo hardware. As much as we give Microsoft crap on NeoGAF, they really do build some fucking great hardware at times.

Is drawing a big part of your requirements?

Fredescu

I trust Lenovo hardware, especially the corporate oriented stuff like the Thinkpad. I don't have anything particularly against Microsoft hardware though. I won't draw at all so the digitiser isn't a factor. There are some i5 TP Yoga's on eBay for $950 at the moment. The only downside is 4gb RAM. In the US you can get an i5 with 8gb but here you need to go to the i7 for it. Bit annoying.

legend166

Insurance company won't cover it because the excess is higher than the $500 personal items limit.

Well then what is the point of it in the first place? I'm going to lodge a dispute, cause this is so dumb.

Dead Man

Some of you seem to know about tablets and netbooks/ultrabooks/whatever they are called these days, any reason I wouldn't get an Asus transformer T100 to replace my old busted screen netbook and dying tablet? For home use only, I don't take my tablet anywhere unless I take it to work, which isn't an issue anyway. Is it enough to run Windows 8? Looking for a windows device to be able to tie into my home network easily.

Now that the wedding is done and dusted and the house crap is mostly done, I'd be keen for a RadGAF meetup!

Been too long.
Oh, so now you want RadGAF to work to your schedule? Hmmph.

Oh yeah I was supposed to organise something >_> you can take the reigns back and plan stuff.
You failed us all, we looked to you for salvation and all we got was mild neglect :(

I'll be down on 22nd/23rd of May if anyone is keen.

Sounds good to me.

Pretty jealous.

I'm growing a short beard at the moment and the best compliment I got was that I look like a protester during the student riots in France in the late 60s. The worst one I got was that I looked like a latin american revolutionary.

Either way it appears as though I look like some kind of commie. :D

Dead Man...show us some results!

A short beard can be tricky, sure you look better than that though! I'll try taking some pics soon to post in the before after thread.

Thanks guys. Shaenus, her name is Elise. Cookie, I do miss Steam chat. I've been half considering a surface pro or similar convertible tablet so I can make use of some of my less intensive Steam library. Wouldn't mind finishing Papers Please.

Great name. :)

Insurance company won't cover it because the excess is higher than the $500 personal items limit.

Well then what is the point of it in the first place? I'm going to lodge a dispute, cause this is so dumb.

The insurance company rejected it because the excess is greater than their personal item limit? So how the hell are you supposed to claim for personal items? Dodgy shit. Sorry to hear that man. If they give you no joy it may be worth taking up with the ombudsman.

I dont understand insurance. Also why does danoss seem to know so much about it. Whats the deal with that.

He knows a lot about a lot of things, dude is just smart.

senahorse

I trust Lenovo hardware, especially the corporate oriented stuff like the Thinkpad. I don't have anything particularly against Microsoft hardware though. I won't draw at all so the digitiser isn't a factor. There are some i5 TP Yoga's on eBay for $950 at the moment. The only downside is 4gb RAM. In the US you can get an i5 with 8gb but here you need to go to the i7 for it. Bit annoying.

I can't comment on the Yoga, but I have a top spec'd Thinkpad Helix at work, and apart from the Thinkpad's keyboard (there is nothing wrong with the surface's tactile keyboard, I just love the Thinkpad's, always great feeling keyboards) I prefer the Surface Pro 2. I use it at work for taking notes (digitiser is a great thing), office apps, and the odd console in to a switch/router etc (with a usb to serial dongle). At home I use it for recipes in the kitchen, started drawing with it, and I sometimes play games with it. I really can't fault it, it's probably my favourite bit of tech I have bought in the last couple of years, such a versatile device that comes in handy in so many situations.

Kritz

Banned
Some of you seem to know about tablets and netbooks/ultrabooks/whatever they are called these days, any reason I wouldn't get an Asus transformer T100 to replace my old busted screen netbook and dying tablet? For home use only, I don't take my tablet anywhere unless I take it to work, which isn't an issue anyway. Is it enough to run Windows 8? Looking for a windows device to be able to tie into my home network easily.

My sister got one and it runs great. Not great enough for video games, but great for web + office. It hooks into the home network just like any other machine, doesn't have any problems being able to print or stream videos from across the house. The included keyboard is a little small, but all things considered it's totally useable.

I bought a Surface Pro (first one) for about the same price as a T100 - I'm not sure if Microsoft is still having a clearance sale on the models. For what it's worth, I think the Surface Pro is a better power user machine, but it's a lot heavier and has a lot shorter battery than the T100 - to be expected with a better processor and bigger screen. Also, the Surface doesn't come with a keyboard, and it also doesn't come with Microsoft Office, so I think the value is still better with going for a T100.

I think the T100 and the Surface are both fantastic laptop replacements, although may not be perfect tablet replacements. I still use my iPad a lot for lazy browsing. But the W8 tablet-laptop hybrids are no joke.

Tommy DJ

To be fair, anything corporate is typically built adequately.

The main problem I have with Lenovo Australia is their beyond awful post-sales support. This isn't the US where its still run by IBM, we get a bunch of dweebs instead.

Kritz

Banned
Sidenote, I accidentally got the Surface touch keyboard by mistake. It's about as fun to use as a touchscreen keyboard. Words cannot describe how much I hate it.

Tommy DJ

Sidenote, I accidentally got the Surface touch keyboard by mistake. It's about as fun to use as a touchscreen keyboard. Words cannot describe how much I hate it.

Is that the one with microwave oven buttons? Because holy shit I don't know what the point of a keyboard with zero tactile or visual feedback is.

Dead Man

My sister got one and it runs great. Not great enough for video games, but great for web + office. It hooks into the home network just like any other machine, doesn't have any problems being able to print or stream videos from across the house. The included keyboard is a little small, but all things considered it's totally useable.

I bought a Surface Pro (first one) for about the same price as a T100 - I'm not sure if Microsoft is still having a clearance sale on the models. For what it's worth, I think the Surface Pro is a better power user machine, but it's a lot heavier and has a lot shorter battery than the T100 - to be expected with a better processor and bigger screen. Also, the Surface doesn't come with a keyboard, and it also doesn't come with Microsoft Office, so I think the value is still better with going for a T100.

I think the T100 and the Surface are both fantastic laptop replacements, although may not be perfect tablet replacements. I still use my iPad a lot for lazy browsing. But the W8 tablet-laptop hybrids are no joke.

Yeah, only gaming I would do on there would be maybe some GOG stuff, mainly for web and streaming media.

Thanks, looks like I'll grab one soon.

Deeku

Vita-peeps, Virtua Tennis vita on au psn for 6 bucks is a good deal if you like sweet 60fps videotennis with a neat little single player campaign plus minigames and unlocking shit for your dude. Great portable fun, spent way too much time playing it today.

Nastro Azzuro long necks are 3 for $12 at Woolworths/BWS!

Vita-peeps, Virtua Tennis vita on au psn for 6 bucks is a good deal if you like sweet 60fps videotennis with a neat little single player campaign plus minigames and unlocking shit for your dude. Great portable fun, spent way too much time playing it today.

Fucking hell Deek, I just bought Kickbeat, Draw Slasher & Retro City Rampage this arvo! I'm not made of money!
>_<

On that note

Kickbeat is pretty damn hard but a really neat rhythm game with a super odd soundtrack of alt-metal and electro. Really good production values and runs super smooth. Should be even more enjoyable once I get good at it.

Draw Slasher is a touch only Fruit Ninja type game. Again, really good production values and highly enjoyable gameplay. Should be yet another good timewaster!

Retro City Rampage I kinda slept on until today due to mixed word of mouth when it released but I've had a FUCKTON of fun with it so far. Runs and looks great on the Vita.

Danoss

The point of excesses are to limit petty claims like, "I spilled beetroot juice on the floor, need a new mat please." In an instance like this, that's strange, though I haven't seen your policy and how the excesses have been set up. Excesses can often be increased to reduce the premium, and this may be a side effect of it.

I dont understand insurance. Also why does danoss seem to know so much about it. Whats the deal with that.

My job history includes working for both insurers and insurance brokers. Knowing some policy wordings and underwriting guildelines inside and out has its advantages. The years have faded plenty of specific details, but the basic principles remain the same.

He knows a lot about a lot of things, dude is just smart.

Hah, missed this one. Thanks mate, that's mighty kind of you!

Fredescu

I can't comment on the Yoga, but I have a top spec'd Thinkpad Helix at work, and apart from the Thinkpad's keyboard (there is nothing wrong with the surface's tactile keyboard, I just love the Thinkpad's, always great feeling keyboards) I prefer the Surface Pro 2. I use it at work for taking notes (digitiser is a great thing), office apps, and the odd console in to a switch/router etc (with a usb to serial dongle). At home I use it for recipes in the kitchen, started drawing with it, and I sometimes play games with it. I really can't fault it, it's probably my favourite bit of tech I have bought in the last couple of years, such a versatile device that comes in handy in so many situations.

What kind of games have you managed to play on it? Does the digitiser let you do mouse like stuff easily enough or do you have to muck about with drivers and such to get it working everywhere?

The TP Yoga could do all the things you listed. I think it looks like it would handle uneven surfaces a bit better too. Normally the Surface would have the price advantage but those cheaper Yoga's make it tempting.

Shaneus

which one of you silly buggers emailed idle thumbs
Ah, yeah. If I had to guess, it would be whoever's nickname was mentioned as the sender of the email. EC deduced it perfectly.

Does it compare to the DC VT games at all?

r1chard

Christ the markup on comics in Australia is ridiculous. Back issues of Miracleman in the US or Canadia are between $1.50 and $3.00 whereas we're paying about $10 for the same damn thing here (and Canadia dollars are parity with Aussie dollars at the moment).

And a pint of (very good) beer in Canadia is about $6-$8.

FFUUU

Actually, why *do* we put up with paying $12 for a pint of Australian-made beer?!

Deeku

Retro City Rampage I kinda slept on until today due to mixed word of mouth when it released but I've had a FUCKTON of fun with it so far. Runs and looks great on the Vita.
Ya I've been holding back on this for quite a while too. Guess I will give it a go!
Does it compare to the DC VT games at all?
VT games haven't really changed much since the original. There's a confidence meter thing now, and you can do a super shot once that's filled up (or running shots/ more aggressive shots when over half full), but at it's core it's still good ol VT.

Actually, why *do* we put up with paying $12 for a pint of Australian-made beer?!
Don't know why we put up with it, but it's part of the so-called 'sin tax', which is on cigarettes and beer and increases twice a year. On a box* of 24 bottles costing, say, $70, tax comes to something crazy like $30 or $40 of it. It's like 40% anyway... In the US the states set the tax rate, some states would pay $2 tax on the same amount. Wine is, I think, taxed on weight which is stupid. Any beer over about 3.5% gets higher tax. Strong beer (like 9 or 10% ABV) can cost a LOT to make here, and given the cost of tax, it's not commercially viable to even try for a lot of breweries.

* Gotta try to avoid using the wrong term here!

Edit: Looks like wine is actually taxed at 29% based on the wholesale price, and hasn't increased for a few years. Beer is unfairly taxed in comparison, really.

Don't know why we put up with it, but it's part of the so-called 'sin tax', which is on cigarettes and beer and increases twice a year. On a box* of 24 bottles costing, say, $70, tax comes to something crazy like $30 or $40 of it. It's like 40% anyway... In the US the states set the tax rate, some states would pay $2 tax on the same amount. Wine is, I think, taxed on weight which is stupid. Any beer over about 3.5% gets higher tax. Strong beer (like 9 or 10% ABV) can cost a LOT to make here, and given the cost of tax, it's not commercially viable to even try for a lot of breweries.

* Gotta try to avoid using the wrong term here!

Edit: Looks like wine is actually taxed at 29% based on the wholesale price, and hasn't increased for a few years. Beer is unfairly taxed in comparison, really.

THATS FUCKING UNAUSTRALIAN MATE!

IM GONNA GO FIND ANDY AND MAKE A COMPLAINT!

2 episodes into Veronica Mars and I'm really enjoying it.

2 incredibly blatant continuity errors already though. Hope someone got fired for that shit >_<

Christ the markup on comics in Australia is ridiculous. Back issues of Miracleman in the US or Canadia are between $1.50 and $3.00 whereas we're paying about $10 for the same damn thing here (and Canadia dollars are parity with Aussie dollars at the moment).

And a pint of (very good) beer in Canadia is about $6-$8.

FFUUU

Aussie tax is on everything. I paid $10 for a schooner the other week, but that was some fancy IPA. Also paid $7.6 for a xxxx gold at the footy, that was my first and last beer for the night.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom