• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 10 - Node Country for Old Men

Status
Not open for further replies.
Everybody's Golf is really good. I bought it when I first got my Vita and even as someone that couldn't give less of a shit about golf I had a good time with it.

Box o Bunnies has played both, he may be able to offer some advise!

Wind Waker HD is really good, but it's still Wind Waker. The HD version is super clean, the convenience features like the faster sail/wind changing direction behind you make the sailing part more streamlined and the selfie stuff can be fun but at the end of the day I'd prioritise playing new stuff over it for people that still own the original.

Wonderful 101 can take a bit of getting used to in terms of the controls/mechanics but once they click it's pure-strain Kamiya coolness. The combat's not quite as deep as a usual character action game but the Okami style drawing gives it a kind of unique flavour and the balance between different weapon sizes, using your guys to dodge/block and having other characters use attacks adds a very light level of resource management/squad control.

The point about Zelda holding value better is a good one, though. As a certified Kamiya Bomba it's probably easier to track Wonderful 101 down for cheap.

I'll probably get Pikmin 3 as my free game. I liked what I played when I borrowed my brother's copy but haven't gotten around to buying it myself yet.

markot

Banned
Here is a picture of a person who just bought a 3ds.

tumblr_inline_n4hu1xL8Lm1s3m1mf.gif

Here is a picture of someone that just bought a vita and a 32gb memory card

scream__1_.jpg

I wasn't keen on the W101 demo, but I'm not a Kamiya fan. WW HD was so much fun even though I played it back in 2003.

Either way, get the freebie out of the way and get Lego City Undercover so you can see how much better it is than Lego Marvel (which isn't bad, Lego City is just better, and so impossible not to have a giant smile on your face the entire time).

I don't even like driving or kart games and I might import MK8 for shits and/or giggles.

p7468wbwnvqntxmhpr8x.gif

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
That's also a very good point, but how long til W101 goes out of print (actually let's be honest they're probably still trying to sell through the first print)?

Go digital.

People bitch about but but nintendo.

But honestly id trust them, and see them least likely to just one day go "oh u can't plaay those digital games on our new system" see wii digital games.

Also, a gripe I always had with the Xbox 360 and digital games was the difficulty in accessing them.

Wii u? Its one menu with icons, like a pc desktop just tap it and bam. 360 to me felt like I needed to go to games tab, then access my games, then scroll through. I don't know just makes it feel like they're there and to be played. Not filed away.

But what evs. My 2 cents ey.

Man, Nintendo published games are expensive.
$65 for Bravely Default. Game came out months ago. Blergh.
FTFY

One of the main reasons my WiiU/3DS doesn't get much use.

I've already filled my 64GB Vita card >_<

Retro City Rampage is legit cool.

Why is he punching the air? What are those puffs of smoke around the cannon like thing a few seconds after he fly's away?

Hopefully it plays as well as Sonic Transformed. Hope we get a sequel to that on current gen!

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
FTFY

One of the main reasons my WiiU/3DS doesn't get much use.

I've already filled my 64GB Vita card >_<

Retro City Rampage is legit cool.

Why is he punching the air? What are those puffs of smoke around the cannon like thing a few seconds after he fly's away?

Hopefully it plays as well as Sonic Transformed. Hope we get a sequel to that on current gen!

put your glasses on. the puffs are for the two characters behind mario!

Mario only gets 2 puffs while the others get 9!?!

Assassins Creed Liberation for Vita is $13.46
Rayman PSone is $2.66
Rayman 2 PSone is $2.66
Rayman Origins on PS3/Vita is $10.58
Rayman Legends on PS3/Vita is $16.61
Splinter Cell Blacklist PS3 is $16.61
Rainbow Six 1 PSOne is $2.66
Persona 4 Golden is $22.46

Luftrausers PS3/Vita is $6.89!!!

The only way I shop overseas.

Actually that reminds me I really need to change a few monthly recurring payments to it.

Sweet, I'm going to sign up today for it then :)

Jintor

i have to prioritise! I should get the laptop first because i'll actually need it for work things!

but

but

nintendo things

Do EU Vita codes work on AU Vita accounts?

Coz this sounds kinda tempting.

I got this from Ozgameshop a while back and the code redeemed on my au psn just fine, so you should be ok.

Any Netflix users here? the quality has been complete garbage for me over the last month or so, currently paying for Unblock Us but have tried getflix (which was good for one movie then started pausing/stuttering constantly) and unotelly which was as bad as Unblock.
Mostly use PS3 but have tried PC and it's even worse.

May as well cancel Netflix if it's youtube 240p quality 85% of the time.

I bet Turnbull is pouring concrete into the internet tubes to slow everything down :(

They recently changed that 28 degrees MasterCard that you get slugged massively if you don't pay off the balance monthly so beware I guess.

That's cool, I'll only use it for buying steamkeys anyway!

Can you set it up through Paypal to avoid more fees or is it better financially to use a linked bank account on Paypal? Damn fees everywhere >_<

EDIT: Oh shit. I have my first credit card approved already, for 8x the amount I expected >.>

That's cool, I'll only use it for buying steamkeys anyway!

Can you set it up through Paypal to avoid more fees or is it better financially to use a linked bank account on Paypal? Damn fees everywhere >_<

EDIT: Oh shit. I have my first credit card approved already, for 8x the amount I expected >.>

Not sure on the fees. Yeah they give out credit like its candy. They sometimes don't send statements out and I got charged late fees because of it. Though I complained on Twitter and got refunded in the end.

Jintor

Any Netflix users here? the quality has been complete garbage for me over the last month or so, currently paying for Unblock Us but have tried getflix (which was good for one movie then started pausing/stuttering constantly) and unotelly which was as bad as Unblock.

use hola unblocker

I got this from Ozgameshop a while back and the code redeemed on my au psn just fine, so you should be ok.

Mines been flakey as well. Was watching in 1080hd for 2 hours then it just drops down to 480. Id happily settle for a constant 720hd.

Not sure on the fees. Yeah they give out credit like its candy. They sometimes don't send statements out and I got charged late fees because of it. Though I complained on Twitter and got refunded in the end.

I'll track it online so as to avoid the 50c fee for the paper statement. I expect I'll be transferring money across basically straight away in any case.

Ignignort

No Netflix issues here, I'm using getflix. Haven't had any issues since I've signed up using the sydney dns watching on a wdtv and ipad.
Line Rate - Upstream (Kbps): 923
Line Rate - Downstream (Kbps): 16188

Quasar

No Netflix issues here, I'm using getflix. Haven't had any issues since I've signed up using the sydney dns watching on a wdtv and ipad.
Line Rate - Upstream (Kbps): 923
Line Rate - Downstream (Kbps): 16188

I never had a single issue with Unblock Us, but I did recently change to getFlix because of the lower price. At least after support said they'd be getting to Crunchyroll soon.

hamchan

It's lonely being the only kid in the Nintendo treehouse who doesn't much care for Mario Kart or Smash Bros... :/

Don't worry. I've gotten fairly bored of playing Mario Kart after playing them obsessively for the last 15 years, plus I there's actually strong competition in the genre now, since Sega All-Stars Racing Transformed game was better than MK Wii and 3DS.

Smash I'm not that excited for since Brawl was a pretty big failure as a competitive game and a huge step down from Melee. With the new versions they seem to be putting more focus in the competitive side, so I'll still pick up the 3DS version to try it out, but the hype for the series isn't there anymore.

Shaneus

Okay people, even if you don't like music that much (but especially if you do) then you need to watch this wot I just saw on Fallon tonight:
David Byrne w/ The Atomic Bomb Band - Fantastic Man

So much awesome. Money Mark is up in that bitch, so of course it's well worth checking out.

Speaking of worth checking out, something that is not is this. To quote someone from that thread, Teenage Mutant Shrek Bros. :(

(and people saying the original original live action movie looks worse... for shame :/ )

Mario only gets 2 puffs while the others get 9!?!

Assassins Creed Liberation for Vita is $13.46
Rayman PSone is $2.66
Rayman 2 PSone is $2.66
Rayman Origins on PS3/Vita is $10.58
Rayman Legends on PS3/Vita is $16.61
Splinter Cell Blacklist PS3 is $16.61
Rainbow Six 1 PSOne is $2.66
Persona 4 Golden is $22.46

Luftrausers PS3/Vita is $6.89!!!

Sweet, I'm going to sign up today for it then :)
WHICH ONE OF THESE DO I BUY? EXCEPT FOR P4G BECAUSE I ALREADY BOUGHT THAT WHEN EVERYONE TOLD ME TO AND I CAN'T FUCKING STAND IT (OR ANYONE WHO RECOMMENDED IT TO ME)

Shaneus

Wait, you wanted me to buy them all? Well, I haven't bought them yet! Now I'll just NOT buy them to spite you!

Sucker.

Dead Man

Since when were you the voice of reason? Now I'm going to buy all of them just for spite.

You fool, that's his plan... too late.

Yeah that's fair enough. If it's plugged in I guess you could change the sleep settings?

A quick Google found this, that might work for you. More stuff here.

Changing the sleep settings is the problem. It only shows when to sleep on the standard power profile options. I can set a different time for the screen to turn off in the advanced settings but it only resets the sleep time to be whatever I select the screen time out to be.

That first link is new to me, I'll check it out, thanks :)

Speaking of worth checking out, something that is not is this. To quote someone from that thread, Teenage Mutant Shrek Bros. :(

(and people saying the original original live action movie looks worse... for shame :/ )
I loved the original movie but don't mind the new trailer either. I mean we know the director so set your expectations accordingly, but it could be a good popcorn movie. Let's face it, the original isn't exactly Citizen Kane either ;)

Make sure to buy Luftrausers!

The Last of Us
It’s rare that I finish a game, put down the controller and shake my head in despondent disbelief, in a good way. Despite all the hype, all the admiration in and out of the gaming industry, The Last of Us stands as its own entity. Going into the experience so late after the original party I very much expected to be disappointed due to the unbelievably high platform it’s been put on but aside from 2 very glaring, almost unavoidable, flaws it deserves all the hype and certainly made me praise the Naughty Gods almighty in an odd, feverish manner.
I’ll hit these flaws first, since they hit me in the face like a screaming child at two in the morning just after climbing into bed from a big night drinking.

The AI systems are very complex due to the adaptive enemy AI, deep combat system, incredibly fantastic level design and forced companion AI. They nailed everything aside from how to slot the companions into the intense, down and dirty combat scenarios. It leads to the immersion being completely shattered every now and then, until you put it out of your mind as a ‘gameism’. Stalking your enemy around the debris only to have a companion wandering into them is more than facepalm worthy while you are falling off the edge of your seat. I know companion AI is hard to get right, incredibly few have done so, but in comparison to the rest of the game it really sticks out like dogs balls until your mind files it away in the ‘it’s just a game’ draw and you stop looking at the companions entirely when in combat. Which really sucks because they could have done some amazing stuff there, protecting your companion, Bioshock Infinite went halfway there having your companion provide support in the form of weapons/health/salts/environments.

The other issue is it’s a AAA game by a big studio who wants to make money. So there is some heavy handed moments to avoid making people feel fucking stupid and hopefully finish the game for once. Narratively it doesn’t pop up too much thankfully but the first 2 hours are frustrating with how the level design and combat sequences drag you along while yelling in your ear that this is how you can do things, pretty please don’t give up! Once you get past that and venture into the main story of the box art it’s all peaches and cream. It gets fucking tough early and doesn’t let up until you are a fucking god of the apocalypse.
Alright! Onto the good stuff!
This game is long but doesn’t feel long. In the end I was a little annoyed I didn’t have another 20ish hours to soak up. It’s perfectly paced from start to finish, another child of the quiet/loud generation of designers. Last generation huge steps had been made in taking the best parts of other mediums and actually implementing the ideas properly, which has led to better storytelling/direction/camerawork/voiceacting/etc. The game feels crafted by a distinct mind, the ones who also pulled together Uncharted 2 unsurprisingly, it takes the most effective practices of movies and television and pairs them with the components of a video game that gives you the most effectual way to experience the story. It’s extremely polished, aside from the aforementioned occasional companion AI issues. It comes out of the blocks hard, aiming for that ole ticker in your chest, before dropping into a very powerful quiet/loud structure that keeps you on edge at all times throughout the game before beating you over the head while dragging you kicking and screaming into the final moments of the game. The second half is without a doubt more powerful than the first but the opening was the most moving for me personally.
The writing is top notch without getting overly dramatic or cliché, this leads to really convincing performances by Troy Baker and Ashley Johnson where you very quickly become interested in their outcome. It goes a few places I expected but in such a fashion to trick me in the other directions it ends up, it’s hard to impart how strong the writing is without getting into spoilers but the main thing is it ties into the gameplay fantastically. I liked it. I’m still thinking about it, not in a Bioshock Infinite “what the fuck, how does that tie into that, that doesn’t make sense?” way, almost like drinking a damn fine beer where you just sit there and take a nice, happy breath and let your mind wander around the recollections. I really hope they make another game in that universe, such a great canvas to splash more stories out on, that post-apoc genre really needs some well told stories.
The gameplay systems actually use 2 almost discarded notions that went out of fashion last generation; non-regenerative health and carrying a shit ton of weapons with you! A huge modifier for these systems is the real-time crafting system where you have to scavenge supplies to make usable items and disposable weapons. Even more delicious is the fact you have to make a choice to either use your cloth & alcohol on a health kit OR a deadly and effective Molotov. Same with the tradeoff between crafting a shiv to use defensively against clickers OR using it to open a locked door for goodies. Choices! Decisions! A console gamer isn’t used to this!?! This also leads to the sublime, delicious level design.
Best level design in years. This allows the depth of the combat system to really shine. Along with a ton of fired weapon choices (longbow/pistols/shotgun/rifle/etc) you also can use bombs and molotovs to create trap points, luring enemies using open hostile contact or just throwing a bottle/brick to draw attention. Most levels are open with multiple pathways, allowing you to flank in most combat encounters, although this also means your enemy can do the same. This allows for a lot of frantic, edge of your seat stuff as you put into action an early attack plan before requiring thinking on your feet to avoid getting overwhelmed. Encounters are always really tense and you absolutely feel like you could die at any moment if you waste a bullet and don’t out think the enemy AI. You actually feel like you are playing a real game of cat and mouse, rather than fucking whack-a-mole. The AI uses the large open levels brilliantly in this regard, to avoid becoming a stupid whacked mole. Lends quite a bit of replayability and avoids repetitive encounters since you have so many options, most of which are just as valid and effective as the last, if not as efficient on your meagre supplies. Allowing more than 2 weapons mean you can strategise! Experiment! Switch on the fly! Have some fun in an unfun experience!
Dat Nate Wells art direction. Dat outsourced art department. There is a massive list of art contributors for this game and it shows. Insane diversity in textures, with very little reuse compared to most other games on the market. The texture quality isn’t as high as I like sometimes, something that will make the PS4 version really worth buying, but I rarely picked up on it. Most of the time I was marveling at the insane amount of unique debris clogging up everywhere, it certainly pulls off post-apocalypse with a high level of attention to detail and some of the best lighting I’ve seen on a console. Legit breathtaking at times too.

I feel comfortable in the statement that when I look back upon the Wii/Playstation 3/Xbox 360 generation, I will still deem The Last of Us as the game of the generation for me. The story, direction, gameplay, everything came together in just the best way to keep me believing that video games are just the most awesome way to experience media. I felt things, which was nice.

The best game of 2013 was The Last of Us. The game of the year 2013 was Grand Theft Auto 5 though, without a shadow of a doubt. I’ve got some thoughts on that too somewhere.

(played single-player to completion on PS3, 22 hours to complete with 75%ish of collectibles.)

Are they Australian only? Seems weird.

I don't even like/am a fan of Mario, but that shit looks kind of awesome.

A bit late on replying to this, but oh well...

Anyway, if those World of Nintendo things are Australia only for now....that's not actually all that unusual. Nintendo (and The Pokémon Company through them) have used Australia as a test market for several pieces of merchandise in the past. If you remember the Pokémon Trading Figure game from a number of years back, that one was tested right here.

Axiom

One of the biggest deals of my young gaming life was when Pokemon Yellow was released here months early.

It was also the first time I realised that if America isn't talking about something online, it may as well not exist.

Quasar

So Sony dropped the Foxtel Play app for the PS4 today.

Anyway I'm wondering if anyone has actually used this. I tried to test it out to see how shitty the video quality was with some of the free content (ep 1 of Silicon Valley for instance) but I ws unable to login (using a good username and password). I keep getting a 'Unknown error: AA4028' error.

Those are the two marquee games that Nintendo drags out every hardware generation to gussy up and rub up to the fans with. How can you not like them!
I'm not really that competitive. Winning at something doesn't seem to fill me with the same kind of rush that other people seem to get, same as losing not having the same kind of sting. Seeing something new or feeling like I'm making progress though, can be intriguing.

Maybe I'm just wired up wrong, but it makes fighting and racing seem kind of pointless to me as entertainment.

Don't worry. I've gotten fairly bored of playing Mario Kart after playing them obsessively for the last 15 years, plus I there's actually strong competition in the genre now, since Sega All-Stars Racing Transformed game was better than MK Wii and 3DS.

Smash I'm not that excited for since Brawl was a pretty big failure as a competitive game and a huge step down from Melee. With the new versions they seem to be putting more focus in the competitive side, so I'll still pick up the 3DS version to try it out, but the hype for the series isn't there anymore.
Kart and Smash I've never really liked, but that's roughly how I feel about Pokémon. B/W were not the step up from DPPt that I was hoping for, so I stopped playing after the Elite 4 and never picked up B/W2 or X/Y. This is in spite of X/Y looking like what I originally wanted out if B/W.

I'll get the sequel or improved version when it comes out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom