• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 10 - Node Country for Old Men

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't worry. I've gotten fairly bored of playing Mario Kart after playing them obsessively for the last 15 years, plus I there's actually strong competition in the genre now, since Sega All-Stars Racing Transformed game was better than MK Wii and 3DS.
Yeah, Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed is basically the new Mario Kart for me. I played it the other night with a couple of mates on Steam with voice chat, and it was a bloody great time. Capture the Chao in particular is just a ball and all I hear over the voice chat is constant laughter. Great stuff.

I ORDERED A PS4

10% off at Dick Smith.

The eftpos gift cards I saved up didn't work though, which is irritating that I need to use them in store now.

I'm not really that competitive. Winning at something doesn't seem to fill me with the same kind of rush that other people seem to get, same as losing not having the same kind of sting. Seeing something new or feeling like I'm making progress though, can be intriguing.

Maybe I'm just wired up wrong, but it makes fighting and racing seem kind of pointless to me as entertainment.

Nope that's how I'm wired too! That's why I like fun racing games like Sonic Transformed and PGR where you have that sense of progression of new items/tracks. I don't play the tracks over and over to get better though.
Fighting games need an awesome story mode, like Soul Blade or Tekken 3, to drag me in.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Rep, How are you finding DDP ?

Been doing it a little while as well and enjoying it. Got slack though, But I'm going to restart next week.

What is special about DDP Yoga over, I dunno, any other type of yoga? Or is it just because it's some fad thing in the media at the moment?

I've found a good yoga resource in doyogawithme.com, there's a ton of free sessions on there for all skills. Been trying to do it inbetween run days (and sometimes even on run days if I run in the morning) since last year, and find it really beneficial (maybe moreso than running, though running is easier to stick with because it's out of the house) when I actually do it.

Dead Man

What is special about DDP Yoga over, I dunno, any other type of yoga? Or is it just because it's some fad thing in the media at the moment?

I've found a good yoga resource in doyogawithme.com, there's a ton of free sessions on there for all skills. Been trying to do it inbetween run days (and sometimes even on run days if I run in the morning).

I like it because it doesn't have any of the metaphysical airy fairy bullshit, it's just the movements unlike the couple of instructors I have been to with friends.

I like it because it doesn't have any of the metaphysical airy fairy bullshit, it's just the movements unlike the couple of instructors I have been to with friends.
Yeah, that's fair enough. I must admit I've never been to a class and only used online resources, but I can imagine a lot of them are like that.

The real advantage about going to a class is someone to help you perform the poses properly, but I've read that poor instructors can actually cause injury because they force people into poses they're not ready to do.

Great writeup rep. I didn't enjoy the game like you did, but I'm glad you got so much out of it.

Yay grats!! What games are you going to pick up?
I didn't enjoy TLoU for the most part lol more just appreciated the design and feel enjoyment in retrospect. But yeah, just super pleased to play a game that makes me think more about it once done. 2013 was a great year for games!

I'm super keen to play Killzone as that's one series I really love despite most people hating them with a passion it seems. Killzone Mercs was the best FPS of 2013 so I'm hopeful Shadow Fall has the bombastic set pieces of the COD series to go along with the IP that I really enjoy.

Also Knack! I've played that demo at Dick Smith at least 30 times now. Scratches that nostalgic PSOne platform-brawler itch I've got.

Infamous is a must have. Love the series and this looks like the most enjoyable out of all of them.

Other than that I've got a ton of PS+ games already which is really nice. Get to try Outlast, Don't Starve and Resogun!

Might even pickup Wolfenstein and Watch Dogs on it since my PC is lagging behind now due to the shift up in generation, poor old 460 is on struggle street :(

Nice. I'd probably buy one as well if they sold them at that price in store.

That's the most painful thing, I want it now! Also would have been out of pocket less if I could use my gift cards lol

Shaneus

Nice! Don't buy Infamous 2 yet. I'm probably going to do another playthrough as evil, but other than that I don't think I'd play it much more (and even if I don't do the evil playthrough, I wouldn't mind getting rid of it so I don't have stacks of games laying around like last gen). So if you want it sooner *or* later, lemme know :)

Been doing it a little while as well and enjoying it. Got slack though, But I'm going to restart next week.
This is relevant to my interests.

As is this. I'll have to actually look into it now (not that Rep's mention of it didn't mean anything, but it wasn't enough to get me interested in it).

Also all the Paper Trail missions are out now Shaneus! I've been on blackout but hopefully there is a new power!

I loved the one session I did on Monday. Very impressed with how fucking sore my muscles were and still are! I pulled my calf while in bed on Tuesday night (dehydration and restless sleep due to constantly getting out of bed to scream and disgusting child who refuses to sleep at night) and it's still sore so I missed Wednesday and will probably only do a walk tonight instead.

It's in the news atm and I really like how simple and no bullshit it all is. Super easy to do while still being really intense. Focuses on maintaining a high heart rate but NOT going overboard, which is a huge positive for someone incredibly out of shape like me.

The whole dynamic resistance thing is brilliant, can't believe I didn't get into it sooner. It's perfect for lazy people like me, just need to keep reminding myself to active every muscle.

After being bullied as a child, Charles Atlas joined the YMCA and began to do numerous exercise routines. He became obsessed with strength. He said that one day he watched a tiger stretching in the zoo and asked himself "How does Mr. Tiger keep in physical condition? Did you ever see a tiger with a barbell?"

Even my finger muscles were sore the next day!

So Sony dropped the Foxtel Play app for the PS4 today.

Anyway I'm wondering if anyone has actually used this. I tried to test it out to see how shitty the video quality was with some of the free content (ep 1 of Silicon Valley for instance) but I ws unable to login (using a good username and password). I keep getting a 'Unknown error: AA4028' error.

Got around 6 codes for a free month of Foxtel Play, don't need 'em. Any takers?

Going through Shadow Fall right now and it's a real mixed bag. Looks in many places, although it could use a better AA solution for sure and from time to time you'll hit something plain ugly, like a sudden really low res texture on a fairly sizeable object. It really feels like a launch title which isn't a good sign. Sudden jarring sound or animation transitions, things that you can tell they would have polished more if they had more time etc etc

Gameplay wise its mechanically solid but the scenarios are often underwhelming or half baked. In the first "real" level in the game, you can do objectives in one of two orders. If you do this thing on a ledge before you do this thing on another part of the ground, rapelling down to do the next objective results in enemies suddenly spotting you instantly no-matter what and there are no areas with good cover. It seems like this is one of those things they would have switched up and changed a bit with more playtesting. They do "stealth" gamelpay kind of, but routinely force alarms on you or put you in places where you couldn't possible stealth. Feels almost COD like in that respect how the sneaking is really forced in certain sections and enemies outside of that have super senses.

Plot thus far is standard killzone garbage. The worlds dumbest Israel-Palestine analog.

Going through Shadow Fall right now and it's a real mixed bag. Looks in many places, although it could use a better AA solution for sure and from time to time you'll hit something plain ugly, like a sudden really low res texture on a fairly sizeable object. It really feels like a launch title which isn't a good sign. Sudden jarring sound or animation transitions, things that you can tell they would have polished more if they had more time etc etc

Gameplay wise its mechanically solid but the scenarios are often underwhelming or half baked. In the first "real" level in the game, you can do objectives in one of two orders. If you do this thing on a ledge before you do this thing on another part of the ground, rapelling down to do the next objective results in enemies suddenly spotting you instantly no-matter what and there are no areas with good cover. It seems like this is one of those things they would have switched up and changed a bit with more playtesting. They do "stealth" gamelpay kind of, but routinely force alarms on you or put you in places where you couldn't possible stealth. Feels almost COD like in that respect how the sneaking is really forced in certain sections and enemies outside of that have super senses.

Plot thus far is standard killzone garbage. The worlds dumbest Israel-Palestine analog.
Up to date with the patches and fully installed? Odd it would have texture issues like that.

But yeah, launch title :(

Yeah fully patched.

I didn't see any blatantly terrible textures until last night, maybe 4th or 5th level. Prior to that you had the odd texture that didn't look too hot but then blam, I turned a corner and there was this one large object that looked like the devs had just forgot to include the high rest version of. And coming off Infamous: SS the imagine quality for SF was pretty disappointing tbh. Can't expect miracles from launch games ofc but if you're a PC gamer you won't be utterly blown away by the game.

It's in the news atm and I really like how simple and no bullshit it all is. Super easy to do while still being really intense. Focuses on maintaining a high heart rate but NOT going overboard, which is a huge positive for someone incredibly out of shape like me.
If you try 'flow' type yoga, you'll find you keep up a reasonable heart rate in that too. Even in a not-particularly-warm room I can break a sweat trying that. Good on the guy I guess for being able to repackage something as his own.

The whole dynamic resistance thing is brilliant, can't believe I didn't get into it sooner. It's perfect for lazy people like me, just need to keep reminding myself to active every muscle.
It's not exactly a new concept:

charles_atlas.JPG

Stackboy

I'm super keen to play Killzone as that's one series I really love despite most people hating them with a passion it seems. Killzone Mercs was the best FPS of 2013 so I'm hopeful Shadow Fall has the bombastic set pieces of the COD series to go along with the IP that I really enjoy.

Wouldn't surprise me at all if the latest Killzone hits PS+ before the end of year. I'll wait for that.

Also all the Paper Trail missions are out now Shaneus! I've been on blackout but hopefully there is a new power!

Apparently there is now new power after you finish paper trail. Must be all in the inevitable DLC

How long did your last GPU last Mutes? Damn you master race putting us mid-tier peeceers to shame :(
If I get a bonus at the end of June I'm going to lash out on a mid-range upgrade damnit! Throwing caution to the wind here!

So rep, did you want my Infamous 2 at some stage? Save you buying it new.

Sure! You mean Infamous 3 though right? I don't expect Dick Smith will get the PS4 to me before the end of the month in any case :/

Technically I only had my 770 for a week before I got a refund on it and upgraded to a 780. But prior to that I was using a 560Ti I bought in 2011.

The 780 itself is an interrum solution - I actually wanted an 880, but they kept getting delayed and shit and I needed to make sure I had something for Arkham Knight this year. If the 800 series comes out tomorrow, I'll sell the 780 and upgrade straight away. Should be able to recover a large portion of what I spent on the 780.

Yeah I'll probably wait on Killzone, sounds like the MP population is low some maybe they will put it on PS+ soon to try and boost the microtransaction community there.

ALSO

Sale on Star Wars pinball tables for iOS users

It's not exactly a new concept:

charles_atlas.JPG

I know that, I quoted Atlas as part of my reply lol

The main benefit of DDP yoga is the community stuff. Really great bunch of people there and the constant video's are entertaining and get you motivated to take part.

Plus enjoying "wrestling" helps too since it got Jake and Razor back up and alive! It's going to be pretty fun to do some sessions with them.

No I mentioned in some random thread that I was interested in the game but didn't want to pay so much for it in Aus. Then he mentioned he had a spare copy.

jambo

N3l2P60.jpg

Say... That's a nice bike KillZone...

I'm still waiting for the big PS4 game to really get me in to it. Unfortunately the missus is as well, and she bought the damn thing.

Might have to give Infamous a whirl.

Shaneus

Sure! You mean Infamous 3 though right? I don't expect Dick Smith will get the PS4 to me before the end of the month in any case :/
Nope, 2. Have fun playing it on your PS4, sucker!

Yup :) I should be finished with it by then, and if not, then obviously I don't have the interest to keep me playing until I have finished, in which case I'll be done with it.

I'm excited about this DDP thing. Is it something you do on your own? How much does it cost me?

Infamous feels much more polished but isn't particularly content rich. Probably 9 hours or less to finish the game. I'm not a completionist of course, but the remaining content isn't exactly super compelling. I guess I'd say that the game had plenty of time in the oven, but it wasn't an overly ambitious design to begin with. At least it's not full of Assassin's Creed busiwork I guess!

The powers are visually spectacular and traversal is fun. These are both points in its favor, although for a game where you get 4 power sets, they all overlap way too much. Each set has its "circle dash" and its "Melee power" and its "projectile attack" etc. They're not identical but they're all basically slightly different takes on the same power set, ultimately.

jambo

The Order: 1886 is one that does actually look pretty awesome to me.

I probably would've played The Division on PS4, but then it got confirmed for PC so there goes that one.

The Order looks aesthetically interesting but I haven't seen a single thing so far that made me go "woah that game will be so much fun". I'm expecting a pretty standard tps for the most part.

jambo

Infamous feels much more polished but isn't particularly content rich. Probably 9 hours or less to finish the game. I'm not a completionist of course, but the remaining content isn't exactly super compelling. I guess I'd say that the game had plenty of time in the oven, but it wasn't an overly ambitious design to begin with. At least it's not full of Assassin's Creed busiwork I guess!

The powers are visually spectacular and traversal is fun. These are both points in its favor, although for a game where you get 4 power sets, they all overlap way too much. Each set has its "circle dash" and its "Melee power" and its "projectile attack" etc. They're not identical but they're all basically slightly different takes on the same power set, ultimately.

That's probably actually a good thing for me. I'm much more comfortable sitting at a desk in my chair playing games on my PC than on a (comfy) couch.

The only off putting thing is the douche bag main character. From the few hours the wife put in she said he was pretty annoying, like Far Cry 3 friends level annoying.

I prefer my protagonists to either be silent types, or 80s action movie types.

So, Rage or Borderlands? Or are they not similar at all?
Lol

They're kinda visually similar, but even that's only really at first glance. One (RAGE) is an FPS with a small amount of open world stuff tacked on, while the other (BL) is basically Diablo with guns in first person.

I'd go Borderlands, mainly so you can co-op with AusGAF, but also because of the huge amount of content compared to RAGE.

Odd, everyone had been commenting that Delsin was nowhere near as douchey as they expected.

I'm excited about this DDP thing. Is it something you do on your own? How much does it cost me?
You do it on your own but they have a forum and fairly constant updates on Youtube with DDP, trainers and other wrestlers.

It's $80 before postage but you might be able to find it here and there for cheaper

I probably would've played The Division on PS4, but then it got confirmed for PC so there goes that one.
I'll probably go Watch Dogs on PS4. Might even give Destiny a shot.

I'm legit excited to play TLoU HD edition though. Can't wait to see those textures!

The Order looks aesthetically interesting but I haven't seen a single thing so far that made me go "woah that game will be so much fun". I'm expecting a pretty standard tps for the most part.
Yeah I fully expect it to be a lot like Uncharted.

So, Rage or Borderlands? Or are they not similar at all?
Lol

Incredibly different.

Rage is an old school Id shooter with fast paced and deliciously chunky gunplay with an awesome gadgets. It's "open world" in that it's really mostly small and linear but it's a ton of fun.

Borderlands is a FPS-MMOlite. It has a ton of open world to explore but I find the gunplay really limp despite the fact you are constantly collecting outrageous weapons powerups.

Deslin is a 20-something highschool dropout type who is way too excited about getting superpowers and killing people with them. He is also the worst liar in existence.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
The NBN rollout has finally begun in my area, no thanks to those slack gits at Syntheo (construction "commenced" in my area in September 2012 but there's been no activity until now). I'm just going to quote my Whirlpool post:

It's happening! Remediation crews have descended upon 6MSP-04 (Golden Bay and Singleton). I saw no fewer than three roping/rodding crews as I was leaving earlier today while on the way home I spotted a crew cleaning a pit with what can only be described as an industrial vacuum cleaner, and at this very moment there's a crew inspecting my neighbour's pit across the road.

I think I'll cry tears of joy once I start seeing that lovely green fibre being hauled.

Gazunta

Spent the middle of the day in Brisbane City Hall at a thing where they're telling the public about what impact the G20 will have on the local business / residential area.

Short version: "We'll have actual details in October"

So that was a good use of two hours.

Funny, I stood at the back of this posh conference room surrounded by serious people with serious faces and clipboards and beards and there was lots of talk about economic projections and logistical impacts and all the time I'm just waiting for someone to tap me on the shoulder and say "Excuse me sir, you're just a manchild who only cares about video games and comics, can you please leave?"

Stackboy

Spent the middle of the day in Brisbane City Hall at a thing where they're telling the public about what impact the G20 will have on the local business / residential area.

Short version: "We'll have actual details in October"

So that was a good use of two hours.

Funny, I stood at the back of this posh conference room surrounded by serious people with serious faces and clipboards and beards and there was lots of talk about economic projections and logistical impacts and all the time I'm just waiting for someone to tap me on the shoulder and say "Excuse me sir, you're just a manchild who only cares about video games and comics, can you please leave?"

Were you just generally curious about the G20 summit, or does it affect your work?

Gazunta

Were you just generally curious about the G20 summit, or does it affect your work?

Affects work, yeah. My office is in West End and a lot of our staff live in the inner city CBD.
I'm tempted to just tell everyone we have to take the week off

Still, it gave me a chance to buy the new Retro Gamer because God fucking forbid I can buy it at any of the 50 newsagents in West End what the hell is up with that.

I also bought a webcam! So now I can do regular video jam sessions as part of my Patreon campaign rewards.

Still, it gave me a chance to buy the new Retro Gamer because God fucking forbid I can buy it at any of the 50 newsagents in West End what the hell is up with that.

I also bought a webcam! So now I can do regular video jam sessions as part of my Patreon campaign rewards.

Ha, even our shitty shopping plaza in the middle of the 'lower socioeconomic slum area' has a newsagent that always has Retro Gamer :)

Also can I donate so you don't show your mug on camera?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom