• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 10 - Node Country for Old Men

Status
Not open for further replies.

jambo

http://www.gizmodo.com.au/2014/05/a...-week-three-strikes-site-blocking-on-the-way/

Three Strike Rule and site blocking abound!

Get ready, Australia: pirating content in the great South Land is about to get much tougher, as the Federal Government considers implementing strict new anti-piracy measures “as early as this week” according to reports.

Fairfax is reporting that the Federal Government will implement anti-piracy measures “as early as this week”.

The first is implementing controversial “three-strikes” provisions for offenders that would see copyright infringers given three warnings before potential litigation, charges and removal from an ISP is concerned.

The second is blocking pirate sites like The Pirate Bay.

Fairfax reports we may see one of these plans put into motion this week.

http://www.smh.com.au/business/online-piracy-crackdown-looms-20140505-37r3g.html

legend166

I basically don't pirate any more so I'm good.

.......as long as getflix keeps working.

The stupidity of these people in not realising the war on piracy can never be won is annoying, however. The answer is to make things cheaper and more easily available. Steam didn't stop PC piracy, but it seems to be far less of an issue for people these days. I don't pirate TV shows any more because Netflix and Hulu give me everything I need at the press of a button. Similarly with Spotify for music.

jambo

The stupidity of these people in not realising the war on piracy can never be won is annoying, however.

Of course it can be won, just look at The War On Drugs.

Oh wait...

Steam didn't stop PC piracy, but it seems to be far less of an issue for people these days.

Steam did actually help a shit load to curb piracy in Eastern European and Asian markets.

Here's a very interesting talk with Gabe Newell about how piracy is really a service issue.

legend166

Of course it can be won, just look at The War On Drugs.

Oh wait...

Steam did actually help a shit load to curb piracy in Eastern European and Asian markets.

Here's a very interesting talk with Gabe Newell about how piracy is really a service issue.

Yeah that was my point. It didn't eradicate it completely, because that's basically impossible. But it's become much less of an issue to publishers and developers.

Gabe's point about service is the huge thing. TV piracy got such a huge hold in Australia because of the delay in the content reaching us. People didn't want to wait.

Silentium

Agreed. The lack of availability and generally higher prices (even after taking into account the structurally higher costs of Australia) has definitely created a shift towards piracy.

My only query would be whether there has also been a 'social' shift towards piracy (as opposed to a purely economic one). People (in my obviously anecdotal experience) seem to take a perverse pleasure from pirating content rather than paying for it. I'm not sure whether simply making content available through legal channels as in the US (Netflix, HBOGO, Hulu, etc) will entirely solve this problem - although its definitely a good start. I would also be interested in seeing a study on 'piracy knowledge/ability' in Australia, I'd be curious whether the average Australian is significantly more piracy savvy than an American.

Counter to that I suppose, is that Spotify/Rdio have almost totally stopped music piracy (anecdotally again), although those services do raise other questions of renumeration of artists/supporting staff.

Dryk

My only query would be whether there has also been a 'social' shift towards piracy (as opposed to a purely economic one). People (in my obviously anecdotal experience) seem to take a perverse pleasure from pirating content rather than paying for it. I'm not sure whether simply making content available through legal channels as in the US (Netflix, HBOGO, Hulu, etc) will entirely solve this problem - although its definitely a good start. I would also be interested in seeing a study on 'piracy knowledge/ability' in Australia, I'd be curious whether the average Australian is significantly more piracy savvy than an American.
Piracy is a giant middle finger to content distributors who historically screw us over. Society will shift back once we have more benevolent overlords, it might take a long time but that's the distributors problem to clean up since they caused it in the first place.

Quasar

. I would also be interested in seeing a study on 'piracy knowledge/ability' in Australia, I'd be curious whether the average Australian is significantly more piracy savvy than an American.

I don't know. Amongst the folks I know who are tech savvy its completely the default way to get content. It started with napster in terms of non-nerdy appeal (prior to that there was of course usenet and irc/dcc) and them moved to video once bandwidth was enough.

Of course for me I just have strong memories of getting VHS tapes of shows sent from the US of shows that either were not aired here or were years behind (Babylon 5 being the most memorable).

Counter to that I suppose, is that Spotify/Rdio have almost totally stopped music piracy (anecdotally again), although those services do raise other questions of renumeration of artists/supporting staff.

I don't think its dead. Part of that being a response to bandwidth caps.

jambo

My only query would be whether there has also been a 'social' shift towards piracy (as opposed to a purely economic one). People (in my obviously anecdotal experience) seem to take a perverse pleasure from pirating content rather than paying for it. I'm not sure whether simply making content available through legal channels as in the US (Netflix, HBOGO, Hulu, etc) will entirely solve this problem - although its definitely a good start.

That is definitely a factor, but I think that attitude is a lot more prevalent in the gaming/nerd community as they know how much stuff costs overseas and look for other options. Plus they have a lot more know how and will spend time searching for the content, instead of giving up and buying like the average consumer.

I've spoken with a lot of people at work about this kinda stuff, as they often ask me (the IT guy) for tips on downloading music, tv shows and movies. I've seen a big shift towards people using Netflix, Spotify and similar services. Even back in the mid 00s when the iTunes store launched there was a big shift from people who went from Walkmans and mp3 players to iPods and then in turn from Napster to the iTunes Store.

If you make a good service that is easier, or at least as easy as pirating, then the vast majority will start using that service. There are many studies which prove this again and again. The huge uptake of Netflix in Australia proves this, even if it technically isn't legal.

Silentium

Piracy is a giant middle finger to content distributors who historically screw us over. Society will shift back once we have more benevolent overlords, it might take a long time but that's the distributors problem to clean up since they caused it in the first place.
I agree. I think that's part of why implementing a simple 'three strikes' system, or expecting ISPs to block sites, isn't going to work. That kind of approach is too heavy handed and doesn't treat the root causes (similar to the million $ penalties given to music downloaders in the early/mid 00s)

I don't know. Amongst the folks I know who are tech savvy its completely the default way to get content. It started with napster in terms of non-nerdy appeal (prior to that there was of course usenet and irc/dcc) and them moved to video once bandwidth was enough.
It's interesting. Amongst friends it is completely the default option. My job brings me into contact with significant numbers of a variety of demographics (young to old) in a technical capacity and I have to say that it is surprising how 'with it' (with regards to piracy :p ) the older generation is. They may not understand the tech behind, but clicking a magnet link on torrent website and waiting an hour is definitely something they can do.

If you make a good service that is easier, or at least as easy as pirating, then the vast majority will start using that service. There are many studies which prove this again and again. The huge uptake of Netflix in Australia proves this, even if it technically isn't legal.
If the numbers are anything like the upper bound in this article, then Netflix uptake here may be greater than I thought.

legend166

There will always be a certain subset of people who will pirate no matter what. But content providers need to not worry about them, because those people are knobs. Just make things easier and cheaper for the rest of us.

jambo

There will always be a certain subset of people who will pirate no matter what. But content providers need to not worry about them, because those people are knobs. Just make things easier and cheaper for the rest of us.

Yeah. It all comes down to the broken theory that a pirated copy is a lost sale.

A lot of pirates download a shitload of stuff that they would never have bought/watched in the first place.

Unrelated, but if there're any folks in here with a 3DS that haven't liked my StreetPass Brisbane group on Facebook, that's a thing you should totally do! https://www.facebook.com/StPassBrisbane
Go ahead and like the page even if you're not in Brisbane, come to think of it ;)

We're the biggest StreetPass group in Australia and meet monthly. If any of you have been before, say hi! :eek:

Hello. ;) Alex and I were just saying the other day that we need to go to the StreetPass group sometime. ^^;; Now that I think of it, you and I still need to chat about plans for OzComicCon and Supanova, don't we?

I like the part where we all hate on Queensland again. That'd be fun.

[It'd be neat to streetpass you guys in Sydney as well!]
~~~~~~
Also, guys, I don't think you guys know how a mandate works in reference to the laws regulating piracy.

First you get the mandate. Then you get the depressing policy platforms you never asked for.

THAT'S IT.

FALL DOWN IN LINE PEASANTS

apricot

Hello. ;) Alex and I were just saying the other day that we need to go to the StreetPass group sometime. ^^;; Now that I think of it, you and I still need to chat about plans for OzComicCon and Supanova, don't we?

Hey! I sent you a DM ages ago but never heard back ;)

Jintor

Oh man. Gonna enjoy reading the blow by blows tomorrow.

I don't really like actually watching Q&A though, but the recaps are great

I played soooo much PS4 tonight.

ID is el_rezzo

Add me!

Stick it to the Man is awesome.

Batman Origins fucking sucks. Gave up during Bane fight. Just too irritating.

Kritz

Banned
I used unblock-us for a bit, and it's really good, but expensive.

Now I just cheap out and use hola unblocker. Means netflix steams are really low quality, but it's not like they were all that amazing to begin with.

YOU suck. You probably just can't handle the fact that it's the best in the series, bugs aside.

It's the worst in the trilogy, easily.

Fucking sucks is too harsh, I was pissed at it last night.

It's a b-team game, pure and simple. WB Montreal knows it, WB knows it. The post-launch handling of it shows it.

It's the Assassins Creed Revelations of the series. A stopgap title to make money for the publisher while the more experienced team(s) work on the fully fledged next title in the series.

Plenty of the content is great and plenty of the content is terrible.

PLOT SPOILERS:
The bait and switch main plot isn't as insulting as people made out, the whole Assassins concept was stupid and counter-intuitive from the start. Troy Baker is fan-fucking-tastic as Joker, due to some fantastic writing. The back and forth with Batman is delicious and his story throughout the game so far is better than anything in the first 2 games. The plot/writing as a whole is a mess, sometimes its glorious, other times it's really out of place and sync with things that came before/comes after. Overall it's the highlight of the game for me.

The overworld is simply poor. Too many un-grappleable buildings and too much empty space which breaks up your flight. When the geometry is lined up well it's a joy to flit across the city but it just doesn't happen frequently enough. Even the population is boringly light across the locked away section of Gotham (the plot point to explain why the streets are empty is fucking stupid too) which again leads to boredom.

The collectibles are simplified this time around a bit, which I preferred to the tsunami of . Most of the side-missions are straight forward 'go here -> beat guys up -> simple button press task', which isn't as irritating as it sounds, even if it's a little (again) boring and mundane. At least the writing and dialogue delivery is interesting I guess.

Batcave is soooo disappoint. So empty, so not much to fangasm over, so redundant. AC had Alfred sending packages in the Batplane, which happens again at least once in Origins!, so the whole Batcave thing felt like a "Hey we should do the Batcave! We only have limited time and budget though so nothing too fancy :(" kind of thing.

Gameplay is still super solid.
Electric gloves are super overpowered.
Remote Claw is super overpowered.
Combat flow and countering is disrupted to an irritating degree by some oddly chosen heavy enemies where certain evasive maneuvers aren't as effective as they were in AC. I found the combat generally easier overall aside from when a few combinations of enemies would appear and make it fuckoff hard to keep a consistent combo.
Some of the bosses are magical, especially those that reward smart thinking (Deathstroke comes to mind).
Some of the bosses are fucking stupidly annoying for the purpose of being fuckingly stupidly annoying (Bane comes to mind with his randomly lithe at times unblockable attacks with a randomly enlargeable/ensmallable hitbox)
Detective Mode is largely redundant, an interactive cutscene really. They are nice and all, but would have loved more to actually do in them.
Also, not many predator sections early on, which kinda sucked.

Graphics are solid, super solid in fact. Even after playing current gen stuff I wasn't put off. Some of the detail work with graffiti is fantastic, gives it a very lived in feeling. Although that makes the overworld feel even more artificial and boring of course.

I'm loath to put a score to a game that I didn't finish, after all I'm not a games journalist, but I would give it a hard 3/5. It would probably skew up if you haven't played the first two games.

I used unblock-us for a bit, and it's really good, but expensive.

Now I just cheap out and use hola unblocker. Means netflix steams are really low quality, but it's not like they were all that amazing to begin with.

I was going to look into getting a netflix subscription to watch GoT in Aus. Then I found out it's only on HBO Go. And you can't just get an HBO Go subscription, you need to have the chanel.

Ha Ha! Fuckoff murdoch.

It's the worst in the trilogy, easily.

Fucking sucks is too harsh, I was pissed at it last night.

It's a b-team game, pure and simple. WB Montreal knows it, WB knows it. The post-launch handling of it shows it.

I agree the overworld is too difficult to traverse because the layout of some of the buildings makes it hard to travel smoothly around. But I loved the increased enemy difficulty (they are more prone to attacking you in groups and you have not quite as much reaction time), I love the new additional enemies like Martial Artists, I love the boss fights mostly, and I love the story. Riddler stuff was underwhelming but I actually preferred underwhelming to "overwhelming" like it was in AC. AA riddler stuff is still the best but that's because it fit more in a confined and smaller world.

Jintor

The thing I found irritating about Arkham Origins combat (and to a lesser extent all Arkham combat) is that sometimes it just won't do what you need it to. Bats will start punching towards a guy but he'll use the animation that has 5 more startup frames and you'll get hit. Ain't no time for that horseshit.

senahorse

I was going to look into getting a netflix subscription to watch GoT in Aus. Then I found out it's only on HBO Go. And you can't just get an HBO Go subscription, you need to have the chanel.

Ha Ha! Fuckoff murdoch.

You can get use HBO Nordic, you just have to have payment method from Europe I think, there are ways you can do this.

But I digress, FUCK OFF MURDOCH YOU OLD WANKER!

I loved the increased enemy difficulty (they are more prone to attacking you in groups and you have not quite as much reaction time), I love the new additional enemies like Martial Artists
Yeah the fighting was a ton of fun 98% of the time. Good extension of the AC system which continued the importance of proper quick use gadgets to maintain a solid combo. Definitely amped up at random times too, with double/triple counters being more common and even just enemies attacking quicker when they felt you were off your rhythm which was a really nice touch. You feel like badass Batman when you counter that, smash a few faces up in a split second and then they hang back before attacking this time. Martial Artists gave a nice new changeup to the counter system but I didn't feel they were dangerous to the point of being a roadblock to the fun which was great. The heavy enemies in AC were leagues better than AO in terms of incorporating them into combos with the regular enemies due to how vastly different their attack strategies were.

Riddler stuff was underwhelming but I actually preferred underwhelming to "overwhelming" like it was in AC. AA riddler stuff is still the best but that's because it fit more in a confined and smaller world.

Same, felt like just the right amount of encroachment on the game world rather than the fucking absurdly comical amount and signposting of the AC ones.
AA ones made you feel like Riddler was a legit big baddie. It was nuanced and methodical for the most part, while requiring quite a big of thinking on the gamers behalf to solve them, rather than just being minor reactive puzzles without any depth like in AC.

I have no idea where they are taking the series in AK, a lot of the elements are starting to feel worn out. I really hope they knock it out of the park but I'm ready for Rocksteady to move onto another IP. So much for that TMNT rumour :(

You can get use HBO Nordic, you just have to have payment method from Europe I think, there are ways you can do this.

But I digress, FUCK OFF MURDOCH YOU OLD WANKER!

I almost didn't get netflix as I had to pay for another service to use it. Corporations really need to stop forcing people to jump through hoops when they are willing to pay for something.

I think WB Montreal was working on a Suicide Squad game. On the one hand, deathstroke was a bawse in AO. On the other hand, Captain Boomerang is a thing that exists.

Kritz

Banned

Ha Ha! Fuckoff murdoch.

Netflix's selection isn't fantastic even if it had GoT, really. Its tv shows are okay, but I'd really appreciate a wider selection, especially for cartoons.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom