• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 10 - Node Country for Old Men

Status
Not open for further replies.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
Scv2ilL.gif

for you rlan

Walked along the beach at 11:30pm to 12:30am with the missus, witnessed kids getting questioned by cops then going skinny dipping. Fun times! Checked out Teddy lookout. Man, nice views. Lorne is ace.

lexi

Banned
The vita is the best handheld ever. It is not only aesthetically beautiful but technically wonderful. It isn't region locked. It has a great digital account system. It has a beautiful screen that competes with the very best $800 smartphones. Games are affordable and plentiful thanks to easy access to US PSN and PS+.

The 3DS while having some games I would really like to play, is a fucking shambles. Literally the opposite to everything I just listed about the vita. Any one of those drawbacks is a dealbreaker to me and the 3DS has an astounding 6 of them.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
The vita is the best handheld ever. It is not only aesthetically beautiful but technically wonderful. It isn't region locked. It has a great digital account system. It has a beautiful screen that competes with the very best $800 smartphones. Games are affordable and plentiful thanks to easy access to US PSN and PS+.

The 3DS while having some games I would really like to play, is a fucking shambles. Literally the opposite to everything I just listed about the vita. Any one of those drawbacks is a dealbreaker to me and the 3DS has an astounding 6 of them.

But the 3DS is the one that's actually getting support... ! :)

Omikron

hmm....?

Absolutely.

No need to drink the Nintendo coolaid! Plenty of fun being a platform agnostic gamer!

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Two-worlds in Super Mario World 3D.. this is pretty good. Can't wait to play more when I finish the hours of karate I have to do later today.

wonzo

Banned
The 3DS has the games but its a shame nintendo put money into the 3D garbage and not giving it a higher res screen with a better spec. At least the circle pad's far less terrible than the awful Vita analog sticks.

senahorse

I have a US account as well but lets not get carried away, what we are doing is something that could go away at any time and is not by any means a feature Sony encourages. At least with Steam there is gifting which is a legitimate way of accessing cheaper games, is there gifting on psn or live for that matter?

r1chard

I spent yesterday having a surprising amount of fun playing Saints Row 3 (another PS+ freebie). Combat is a little janky
like most console combat
but not to the point it ruins the game. The game mechanics pretty much work and the game itself is so over the top and deeply unserious that I don't feel like I'm soiling my soul like I do playing modern GTAs. Way more fun than AssCreed 3, and (to me anyway) less by-the-numbers than Uncharted 3, but then I've not played a Saints Row game before so that's probably unfair.

Also yesterday was my daughter's end of year ballet performance (which was awesome - the school she goes to is amazing) so that was a nice little bit of a break from the carnage fest :)

Bloody 29 degrees predicted today and absolutely nothing planned. Well, at least I bought a pedestal fan yesterday ($12 at Big W lolwtf) so I won't feel too uncomfortable lazing about on the couch, though there is no beer in the house!

Slightly jealous of you lot and your new consoles.

HolyCheck

i have one item i tick on my list when grading a video game machine.

it's does it have good games.

Jintor

The 3DS has the games but its a shame nintendo put money into the 3D garbage and not giving it a higher res screen with a better spec. At least the circle pad's far less terrible than the awful Vita analog sticks.

I don't know, for some reason Zelda's 3D is absolutely perfect for me. No eyestrain, no nothing. I think it's the 60FPS? It looks fucking gorgeous

I would count myself as a platform agnostic but there's really no denying that 3DS has the worthwhile games and the Vita largely does not.

To be fair, region locking and regional pricing are two different matters; I can't think of a platform that doesn't suffer from regional pricing.

I would have thought you would have gone after the "games are affordable because of PS+" which tantamount to saying I purchased a discount. You be slipping.

hamchan

I don't think anyone denies the 3DS library is pretty great. Though apparently that's come at the cost of the Wii U library the past year.

The original 3DS really is terrible. What a huge piece of crap they built there. 3DS XL is a much better machine and I regret buying the first one, especially since the library was horrible the first year.

Anyways I prefer Nintendo handhelds, I bought the 3DS twice before even looking at the Vita. Really only jumped on the latter because they gave away Uncharted, Gravity Rush and Wipeout on my PS+ sub. I'm pretty happy with it being my portable FF1-10, Persona 3/4 and MGS 1-3 machine.

Vita really is a better handheld though. And yeah, I hate Nintendo region locking the 3DS and having their dreadful online system. Thinking about it a lot of the 3DS system is bad but it's saved by the games. Who knows if Nintendo can keep it up after shifting their focus to the Wii U, I sure hope so.

My thumb slips on the circle pad when grip is needed the most. :(

i have one item i tick on my list when grading a video game machine.

it's does it have good games.
Tearaway, Persona 4 Golden, Hotline Miami, Guacamelee, Spelunky, Sound Shapes, Thomas Was Alone, MGS2&3 HD, The Walking Dead, PS1 and PSP games, and more. Few exclusives, but a good number of great games on a great portable device. And some of those, and others not mentioned, are/were on PS+ and have cross-buy.

Omikron

To be fair, region locking and regional pricing are two different matters; I can't think of a platform that doesn't suffer from regional pricing.

I would have thought you would have gone after the "games are affordable because of PS+" which tantamount to saying I purchased a discount. You be slipping.
I gotta change it up yo. no one listens to my logic anyway. ;p

Jintor

I really have to wonder about the economics of PS+ free games. I assume Resogun was basically designated as a loss leader for a few months since it's free on PS+ right now and all new Playstation purchasers get free 30 days of PS+. Or are only dedicated consumers really taking advantage of that to snag it asap? Will the quality of PS+ free games go down as the services becomes more popular? That's to say nothing of significantly large games + indies going completely free on PS+ only months after they're released.

Hmm. Maybe there's a story in that.

senahorse

The problem with PSN+ for me is, I am just paying for online. The vast majority of games that have gone on to PSN+ for free I either already own or am not interested in. Don't get me wrong I think it's a great thing, just, for me, as someone who already buys a crapload of games it's not all that worth it considering I rarely play console games online. I think the only reason I currently have it is from laziness about cancelling it and the "what if" factor.

Jintor

PS+ actually discourages me from buying games I might otherwise pick up in a sale. It's like the Steam Sale effect writ large.

I'm not complaining about it because free games are awesome! But I can't imagine it's amazing for developers... I'd love to see whether I'm right or wrong though.

When games I already own go on PS+, it's usually when I own the disc, so I get the convenience of downloaded or enough time passed from getting it that I don't really mind.

I gotta change it up yo. no one listens to my logic anyway. ;p
I still care.

I really have to wonder about the economics of PS+ free games. I assume Resogun was basically designated as a loss leader for a few months since it's free on PS+ right now and all new Playstation purchasers get free 30 days of PS+. Or are only dedicated consumers really taking advantage of that to snag it asap? Will the quality of PS+ free games go down as the services becomes more popular? That's to say nothing of significantly large games + indies going completely free on PS+ only months after they're released.

Hmm. Maybe there's a story in that.
I think, like most things in life, there are groups of people that use the service differently. These probably range from those that forget to check each months games to those that only download those that they are only downloading the games in which they have interest to those that purchase everything and then only download what they want.

The way I understand how the system work is that the developers get a little bit of money for each "purchase" of the game. I'm sure for some developers they weight up the potential revenue from PS+ purchases versus realistic projections of purchases via the store. For some developers, it must be an easy way of getting an immediate injection of cash, some potential positive buzz and momentum towards a fanbase.

I think an interesting question is if the program is is profitable for Sony and whether it will damage potential games sales in the beginning of a consoles life-cycle. It's possible it will, if you take the Vita as an example.

If you take all of the games offered by PS+ since the beginning, a consumer could play most of the highly rated games on the platform without having bought a game. While Sony does get the money from hardware (memory card) sales and boosts the owner base, where does this leave game sales and therefore developer support?

It would be really interesting if Sony laid out the economics of the program on the table and allowed some analysis of how it's affected their consoles/market/developer relations/consumer relationship. They never will, but it would be nice.

senahorse

I think also Jase, it's the flow on effect as well. Similar to how when games go on sale on Steam, there is a flow on effect of people who buy the game at full price after the sale has ended, be it through word of mouth etc.

markot

Banned
Walked along the beach at 11:30pm to 12:30am with the missus, witnessed kids getting questioned by cops then going skinny dipping. Fun times! Checked out Teddy lookout. Man, nice views. Lorne is ace.

You watched kids go skinny dipping? Kinda creepy.

There's an AusGAF10 now? 10? Christ. I feel like I've missed so much!

All I've missed is like whinging about various bullshit and Tony Abbott right?

Dead Man

Congrats on the top 10 Shaneus. And bloody hell, handhelds are serious business around here. Pretty silly for a toy for small kids.

Mar

As for today, didn't do fantastically, but didn't play horribly either which was about all I could've asked for. I think nerves got the better of most people because once the tournament was over, everyone started smashing it when the machines were set to free play (including myself). So I finished 9th (out of 16) with one good game (and three shockers) and would've finished first if I had 4x the good one, but hanging out with other like-minded pinball folk was reward enough </cliche>

Grats on 9th. Looks like Wall had a shocker, 11th place which is rough for the highest ranked Victorian. I haven't heard of the guy who won it, was he a walkup from PAX or is he known in the scene?

Shaneus

Welp, just taken the bandage off as advised by the doc, and holy fuck did he take a massive chunk out of my forehead. Wish I'd known the options of less visibly scarring surgery before he decided to go the hack on it :/

The spot I had previously was maybe 2mm diameter and now I'll probably have a scar the size of a 10c piece on my forehead. Hope it heals to something that's not too visible.

Feeling numb right now, jesus fuck.

Grats on 9th. Looks like Wall had a shocker, 11th place which is rough for the highest ranked Victorian. I haven't heard of the guy who won it, was he a walkup from PAX or is he known in the scene?
Walkup from PAX (or possibly a tourney qualifier from location machines), I'd never seen nor heard of him before. Looking at IFPA he finished 6th at the AC/DC state finals but that's it. So yeah, probably on-location qualifier.

markot

Banned
Welp, just taken the bandage off as advised by the doc, and holy fuck did he take a massive chunk out of my forehead. Wish I'd known the options of less visibly scarring surgery before he decided to go the hack on it :/

The spot I had previously was maybe 2mm diameter and now I'll probably have a scar the size of a 10c piece on my forehead. Hope it heals to something that's not too visible.

Walkup from PAX (or possibly a tourney qualifier from location machines), I'd never seen nor heard of him before. Looking at IFPA he finished 6th at the AC/DC state finals but that's it. So yeah, probably on-location qualifier.
sue himmmmmmmm

Danoss

With all the video game talk, I'm not really able to join in as I now only play tabletop games. Not a complaint at all, talk about whatever you want, you're all enjoying yourselves, it's purely an observation that the reason I joined GAF is not what keeps me coming back.

Played some more Hordes yesterday and I have now played against each army in the Hordes range bar Minions, but they don't really count. The battles are only on a really small scale, but they're a good place to start, are interesting enough while still presenting enough tactical options. I am surprised at how much I am enjoying playing this wargame and how wrong I was in resisting for so long, thinking it wasn't for me. My gaming friends are very helpful and understanding, and the community surrounding this game seems to be excellent too.

A gaming store recently opened in Parramatta too and they play Warmachine/Hordes on Thursday, so that will be worth a look very shortly. The store is The Games Cube. I thought it'd be worth mentioning in case anyone nearby – Fredescu being the only one I know of – would like to check it out. It'd work quite well for any future SydGAF meets if anyone wants to venture out my way as it's quite close to public transport.

Next week is our return to roleplaying and I'm so excited! Iron Kingdoms is the game and world we'll be exploring. I wasn't terribly interested when this was first decided, but the more I read and understand, the more I'm intrigued by and interested in it. It's set in the world of Warmachine/Hordes and was actually an RPG before it was a wargame; now it has come back around. The world and the stories in it are pretty interesting and quite easy to become invested in it.

Oh crap, before I forget! The latest Bundle of Holding is up and has just a touch under 4 days remaining. This one is amazing, full to the brim with brilliant games. You owe it to yourself to have these games in your collection. Apocalypse World is just incredible game design and has inspired many games and additions to those games alone; 3 of these are included in the bundle – Dungeon World, Adventures on Dungeon Planet, and Sagas of the Icelanders which was only recently released, I'm not kidding on this, my hard copy only arrived in the mail last week. Get it, get it, GET IT!

I'm not able to spare the $20 to grab all of these just to give away to someone. I already own the majority of the games in this bundle, so I don't need anything, but I'd love to share this with someone else who would get enjoyment out of them. If anyone does pick up the bundle, let me know and will shower you in goodies to go along with them. Seriously, you'll have so much to play with, you won't know what to do with yourself.

All that aside... Congrats Shaneus on a top 10 finish! I was rooting for you to place first so we could see you here in Sydney, and because I wanted you to win anyway, of course. Carve 'em up next time, mate!

Just saw hunger games 2 at the cinemas

Oh jennifer lawrence <3

The second book was okay. I thought it was trying to recapture what made the first novel great and missed the mark entirely. The first movie had next to nothing of what was great about the novel, so maybe that doesn't matter at all. I'll still watch it, but I'm expecting to be even more disappointed than the novel left me.

Come time for filming Mockingjay, they're going to be thankful they chose Jennifer Lawrence for Katniss because she'll have to carry that film on her back. That's if they follow the path set by the author. The book is a depressing mess where the majority of noteworthy events happen off-screen. I'm sure the third movie will actually be better than the novel, but I think that will be achieved, yet again, by making a spectacle for the sake of it.

lexi

Banned

Buy some Bio-Oil. Apply twice a day to the scar (when healed) it should clear right up!

Shaneus

Thanks for the tip, Lexi! Right now it's still a divot, so once the wound is no longer a wound I'll give it the Bio-Oil treatment (I actually have some already) :)

HolyCheck

:D on my way to see king kong the musical.

So very excited... new avalanches track..

I'm pretty much paying for that.

And don't worry Evl, the weather's not too warm so I'm wearing my sports coat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom