• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 10 - Node Country for Old Men

Status
Not open for further replies.

senahorse

All this movie talk reminds me, Gold Class Godzilla on Friday and Gold Class X-Men next week, what a glorious waste of money, can't wait :D

On Monday Wolfenstein comes out (hopefully they don't delay Australia...). Then on Thursday I'm seeing Chef at the state cinema. Then seeing X-men: DOFP on Sunday.

Gonna be a damn good week.

Got an email saying I had purchased a shitload of FIFA point out of my PSN wallet money.

ffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff

Call up Sony and they were straight onto it thankfully. They could tell it was done on a PS3 and said they could see the IP address. Hope they brick the fucking cunt.

The guy I talked to seemed to think I would be reimbursed the wallet credit, so hopefully it doesn't turn out to be a Shaneus situation.

Motherfucker.

Now I can't afford to re-up my PS+ sub so now I'll lose all these games >_<

Thankfully I don't use that password on any other accounts. Also really odd since the username is unique to that account too. No fucking idea how they were able to get in and buy FIFA points. I have to assume you can buy them through the FIFA games themselves as I was also pretty sure I had a PIN on the account as well as the password.

On Monday Wolfenstein comes out (hopefully they don't delay Australia...).
Dick Smith has it marked as 22nd May, next Thursday!

Gazunta

Yeah for some reason Australian games retail insists that games are only ever released on Thursdays unless there's a very special reason to go against the rules. Weird, could never figure out why.

senahorse

The Thursday rule is naff, this is the digital/global age. Release it to the masses on the same day, stupid retail, they should only be allowed to sell Nintendo games.

Shaneus

Got an email saying I had purchased a shitload of FIFA point out of my PSN wallet money.

Call up Sony and they were straight onto it thankfully. They could tell it was done on a PS3 and said they could see the IP address. Hope they brick the fucking cunt.

The guy I talked to seemed to think I would be reimbursed the wallet credit, so hopefully it doesn't turn out to be a Shaneus situation.

Motherfucker.

Thankfully I don't use that password on any other accounts. Also really odd since the username is unique to that account too. No fucking idea how they were able to get in and buy FIFA points. I have to assume you can buy them through the FIFA games themselves as I was also pretty sure I had a PIN on the account as well as the password.
Oh, so they refund YOUR fucking money.

Cunts.

Edit: Wait, didn't read the full post. D'oheth. Make sure you mention my name/gamertag when/if they say they'll give you a refund. How much did you lose?

Dryk

So I was browsing the AusPoliGaf thread and it seems like half of everyone is banned. (Markot, Dead Man and Mondy)...what's goin' on? D:

I can't damn well enrage air with my nonsense. >: (
Dead Man got banned again? Dammit

http://www.news.com.au/finance/econ...iticians-will-go/story-fn84fgcm-1226915410156

HAHAHAHA...I think I just threw up from the bullshit that comes out of these peoples mouths.
They just don't understand the difference do they :|

Oh, so they refund YOUR fucking money.

Cunts.

Edit: Wait, didn't read the full post. D'oheth. Make sure you mention my name/gamertag when/if they say they'll give you a refund. How much did you lose?

It was a fair bit, I topped up because of the $50 Paypal promo. Once they get back to me I'll make sure to note to them how they ran that deal if they try and stitch me up.

In any case I don't see how they could get around it, they acknowledge that the purchase came from another PS3, I called up within 30 minutes for getting the email AND I have step verification on both my Origin accounts and my SEN account.

Shaneus

It was a fair bit, I topped up because of the $50 Paypal promo. Once they get back to me I'll make sure to note to them how they ran that deal if they try and stitch me up.

In any case I don't see how they could get around it, they acknowledge that the purchase came from another PS3, I called up within 30 minutes for getting the email AND I have step verification on both my Origin accounts and my SEN account.
Pretty much the same, except I don't think two-step verification was around when I got done on my SEN account. Nor Origin.

You should totally bump my thread from a while back, because it's likely there's a wave of people who got done.

Pretty much the same, except I don't think two-step verification was around when I got done on my SEN account. Nor Origin.

You should totally bump my thread from a while back, because it's likely there's a wave of people who got done.

The key thing is they used up my wallet amount but didn't draw any down from my CC. I wonder if the whole transaction was done inside FIFA, which might explain it using my wallet amount only.

If there were any decent investigative journalists around they should be able to track the process through from start to finish and maybe make enough noise to force EA/Sony/MS to fix the fucking problem.

I'll bump the thread once I hear back from Sony on what is going to happen.

senahorse

Sony should take the Steam approach and require you to authorise each new machine you want to use with the service. Curious that they were able to get access to your account if you had 2-factor auth enabled, very curious.

Motherfucker.

Dick Smith has it marked as 22nd May, next Thursday!

Wolfenstein is out on the 20th here

Curious that they were able to get access to your account if you had 2-factor auth enabled, very curious.

I'm going to hazard a guess that the 2 step is only for changing details like email address and passwords. Nothing was changed, all that happened was one large transaction of FIFA points on a PS3 that was situated in a timezone 2 hours behind AEST.

Like I said, if the transaction can be made within FIFA all they would need is my username and password. Not sure how they got that though as I had changed my password since the hack ages ago and it's a unique password for my SEN account.

senahorse

I'm going to hazard a guess that the 2 step is only for changing details like email address and passwords. Nothing was changed, all that happened was one large transaction of FIFA points on a PS3 that was situated in a timezone 2 hours behind AEST.

Like I said, if the transaction can be made within FIFA all they would need is my username and password. Not sure how they got that though as I had changed my password since the hack ages ago and it's a unique password for my SEN account.

Sneaky fuckers, oh well good thing you noticed it.

Rahk

I heard about Origin accounts with Fifa being hacked. I think it was something to do with trading players? Not sure.

This fifa points scam seems to be an EU/AU PSN accounts issue, haven't heard about this thing happening to any US accounts. Hope you get your money refunded rep.

All this movie talk reminds me, Gold Class Godzilla on Friday and Gold Class X-Men next week, what a glorious waste of money, can't wait :D

So pissed I missed out on tickets to the red carpet premiere of Xmen on the 16th. Peter Dinklage was going to be there :(

Booked Vmax for both Godzilla and Xmen.

Yeah for some reason Australian games retail insists that games are only ever released on Thursdays unless there's a very special reason to go against the rules. Weird, could never figure out why.

'Cause people tend to shop more on the weekends?

senahorse

So pissed I missed out on tickets to the red carpet premiere of Xmen on the 16th. Peter Dinklage was going to be there :(

Booked Vmax for both Godzilla and Xmen.

The casting in Game of Thrones for the most part is top notch. Peter Dinklage has been giving an incredible performance, he is such a talented actor.

Ohhhh, so points are transferable/sellable, makes sense now. Before I was thinking why anyone would wanna steal itchy&scratchy bucks

The fault lies entirely, ENTIRELY, with EA on this. They created a system that can be abused fairly easily.

Sony and MS can't do much more than refund money, ban consoles and ask EA to fix their shit.

Minimum 2 step process on FIFA UT transactions. No exceptions. If they do that the problem will be shifted to abusers needing to gain access to the Origin account holders email or mobile phone.

EA are making millions off FUT. It simply isn't good enough they continue to use this broken process.

legend166

Since everyone was talking on the last page about buying a Wii U.

Remember when I got a Wii U for $175 cause Dick Smith are insane?

Good times.

legend166

It's totally been worth it. I've got:

New Super Mario Bros U
Wii Party U
Super Mario 3D World
Pikmin 3
Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze

All of them are fantastic (Wii Party U is a legitimately good party game. So much better than the latter Mario Party games).

Then at the end of the month I'll get Mario Kart 8 and either Wonderful 101 or Wind Waker HD. Nintendo completely botched the console and I understand why it's selling so horribly, but I'm going to end up with 10-12 high quality Nintendo exclusives and some awesome VC titles. Worth the money for me.

Shaneus

JaggedSaltyHellbender.gif

lol

Sony should take the Steam approach and require you to authorise each new machine you want to use with the service. Curious that they were able to get access to your account if you had 2-factor auth enabled, very curious.
Nah. Makes too much sense! But I think it is partially in EA's court, or something.

They sell the points on eBay I assume

Fuck it. Maybe I'll do some research into it since no one else has.
Make sure you bump my thread while doing it!
I need to see my name up in lights again

Panel submissions to AusPAX are now open.

I'm trying to choose between "Australian Game Journalist Ethics: Does Anyone Know Any?" and "Seriously, Ozisoft Were A Bunch Of Crooks, Weren't They?"
Tehehe:
Stevewheel.jpg

(was an in-joke on a fairly insular forum I'm a member of)

The fault lies entirely, ENTIRELY, with EA on this. They created a system that can be abused fairly easily.

Sony and MS can't do much more than refund money, ban consoles and ask EA to fix their shit.

Minimum 2 step process on FIFA UT transactions. No exceptions. If they do that the problem will be shifted to abusers needing to gain access to the Origin account holders email or mobile phone.

EA are making millions off FUT. It simply isn't good enough they continue to use this broken process.
I never really found out how it works... is it that EA accounts are directly linked to XBL/PSN ones so a hacking of an EA account is all that's needed? I was under the impression it was my PSN account that was hacked.

WiiU hardware has been gone from Dick Smith since the fire sale.

I never really found out how it works... is it that EA accounts are directly linked to XBL/PSN ones so a hacking of an EA account is all that's needed? I was under the impression it was my PSN account that was hacked.

No hacking involved, more social engineering.

You can access the EA store in-game with FIFA. You can only buy these FUT points in the EA store, not on PSN/XBL.
All the authorisation/encryption is on EA's side. Not PSN/XBL.
All you need to log into someone's PSN/XBL account in the EA store is their username and password, bypassing the need for 2 step.
If the abuser can get these 2 pieces of information one way or another they can buy the points. These points can then be transferred to another account.

They can get your username just by looking online in tons of places that do stats on profiles. It's all open information.
Password is the tricky one. Lots of ways to attempt this anywhere from random Googling trails to calling up customer support using the username and any other information they can link to you to trick them into giving up a password which might work or at the least give them one to try with another account you have somewhere.

Shaneus

Ahhh... makes sense. Dodgy fucking EA/Origin security, turns out I was dicked by them twice (first was when my Origin account was hijacked).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom