• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 10 - Node Country for Old Men

Status
Not open for further replies.
Something funny and entertaining.
YsOAC8Y.gif

Something something FIFA points.

Shaneus

Roku for USD$48 posted

Tempted to grab it as a Plex machine for the lounge room.
Here's what I'm doing for a media box (seeing as my NAS is such a giant turd), making a Windows-based (or maybe Linux, see how this works out) NAS out of this and some other stuff.

Okay, that had practically nothing to do with what you posted. Felt like posting it anyway.

PS. Right on, Danoss. Hit the nail on the head. If there's any upside to this, it's that the amount of people who are buying into the governments/Liberals' shit is getting smaller and smaller. Media's still right up on it (particularly digital, but also print I understand) but the consensus is that Labor and the Greens are going to knock back as much as they can.

I don't know how much power they have to do it, but fuck I hope they give it a good go. Which is why I'd have loved to see Albo as head of Labor than Shorten, the spineless wonder.

On that note, I wanted to double-check on what a double dissolution was, because I heard it was a thing that might happen and I wasn't sure on the definition. The autofill in Google is such a massive fucking win:
yya0nqY.png

Shaneus

Ugh, Jimmy Fallon is so fucking annoying.

1. Whatever the guest said was not. that. funny.
2. Why does every interview somehow always turn into an excuse to talk about something that happened to you? Shut up, Jimmy. You're not the guest.

Didn't you have some fancy NAS, Shaneus? I'm using a Synology one, and I run a mysql database on it which hosts an XBMC library, and use XBMC on multiple Raspberry Pis to access that shared library remotely. Works pretty well for me. You can also run Plex on Synology (and Qnap I think) boxes.

Jintor

2. Why does every interview somehow always turn into an excuse to talk about something that happened to you? Shut up, Jimmy. You're not the guest.

I can't stand him but he has the best viral segments.

Shaneus

Didn't you have some fancy NAS, Shaneus? I'm using a Synology one, and I run a mysql database on it which hosts an XBMC library, and use XBMC on multiple Raspberry Pis to access that shared library remotely. Works pretty well for me. You can also run Plex on Synology (and Qnap I think) boxes.
Thecus, but had too many problems. Doesn't post, just boots and sits on "Self Testing..." on the screen. This is AFTER I had a motherboard replaced under warranty. Why was it under warranty? Because around 6 months ago exactly the same fucking thing happened and I had to buy a new motherboard for ~$350.

Looks like I can put together a HTPC/NAS for around $550, so hopefully once I get it up and running again (with another motherboard RMA) I can get close to that much money back (doubtful, but might be possible) and I'll be legacy hardware (and software)-free.

Nobody likes Fallon. You only watch the good segments that pop up on Youtube that isn't related to him!

Starting new job tomorrow. Scaryy
Woo! Make sure you tell them you love mining and hate poor people. Best way to get ahead in life.

I wonder who will replace Craig Ferguson. I vote for a woman but one who isn't Chelsea Handler or Amy Schumer

Handler is most likely since that was the buzz before he quit. She's terrible.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
New job, reverse marketing. Pay is okay, but the work is consistent. Will be nice to move away from casual. Workplace is about an hour worth of travel away. I'm a fucking prude when it comes to travelling far for work so I'm a bit shitty 2+ hours every day will be spent on just getting to and from home (fuck this idea that your "work day" begins/ends when you arrive/leave work. horseshit), but eh. Start on Monday. Lets see how this goes.

r1chard

No thanks, I'll take a nice cold beer, one I can actually taste right now. Haven't had one in 6 weeks :(
Buy anything Feral make. The Hop Hog if it's warmer or the Smoked Porter if it's cooler. These are not beers you will regret. Dan Murphy has them. The Woolworths brand booze shops have them sometimes.

New job, reverse marketing. Pay is okay, but the work is consistent. Will be nice to move away from casual. Workplace is about an hour worth of travel away. I'm a fucking prude when it comes to travelling far for work so I'm a bit shitty 2+ hours every day will be spent on just getting to and from home (fuck this idea that your "work day" begins/ends when you arrive/leave work. horseshit), but eh. Start on Monday. Lets see how this goes.

Welcome to the real world.

It's severely overrated.

Buy anything Feral make. The Hop Hog if it's warmer or the Smoked Porter if it's cooler. These are not beers you will regret. Dan Murphy has them. The Woolworths brand booze shops have them sometimes.
Dan Murphy's is Woolworths.

From what Death has mentioned he liked in the past, I reckon Bridge Rd's Celtic Red, Bridgeport's Kingpin, and maybe Grizz by 2 Brothers. Not sure of any decent bottleshops in the CBD, but Slowbeer and Purvis Beer on Swan St in Richmond are both about the best in the state.

Shaneus

Fuck, this is a beer thread again? Ugh.

I travel an hour up and back every day, it's not too bad. I suppose it depends on how complicated the travel is. I take a grand total of two trains (Geelong -> Melb, Melb city loop), but if you're driving or have to jump on a bunch of different connections, I can see how it'd do your head in.

I thought this was meant to be a pinball thread? Way to gum it up, guys.

Well, I've got a bottle of Hennessy VSOP at home and quite enjoy some of that occasionally. Not a regular cigar smoker but I have a couple of Romeo y Julieta Churchills in the cupboard that I bought on a lark I should really either smoke or chuck out.

Fredescu

Here's what I'm doing for a media box (seeing as my NAS is such a giant turd), making a Windows-based (or maybe Linux, see how this works out) NAS out of this and some other stuff.

Ever thought of using this https://stablebit.com/drivepool ? I like that your files are still accessible from any machine if everything goes to shit. You're not tied to any particular hardware or software. Did I mention fuck RAID? Fuck RAID.

I haven't used it myself yet, but I'm going to get it for my HP Microserver. When I get around to getting it running. I need to update the BIOS on it to get Windows 2012 to install which is proving to be a pain. HP were massive cunts and decided to disable firmware downloads unless you have a maintenance contract, so I'm taking a punt on one I found elsewhere. Hoping it doesn't brick it.

senahorse

Why the hate with RAID? I have been using software raid (mirror for redundancy) in Windows for a few years without issue. Hardware RAID tied to a certain chipset I can understand not being a great choice for home on the other hand.

edit: I should note, I have about 12TB of data at the current time.

There's nothing wrong with RAID, especially in a corporate environment where you'll have redundancy and agreements in place should something fail.

But in a home environment, especially when not using a mirrored RAID environment, I think Fred is talking about more practical considerations, like having to rebuild the entire array when making a change, or if having to replace hardware being able to access that data in the meantime, etc.

Windows Home Server used to have a similar thing to that drivepool stuff, if something went belly-up you could just put the NTFS disk in another PC and all your data will still be accessible. I used it for a few years with a 2-3 drive setup before moving to my 4 (+1 hotswap) Synology thing. The disks in a Synology box can be used in an Ubuntu Live environment to recover data, so I'm happy with my current setup.

A striped setup is generally going to suit more home users than a mirrored one...

Fredescu

Why the hate with RAID? I have been using software raid (mirror for redundancy) in Windows for a few years without issue. Hardware RAID tied to a certain chipset I can understand not being a great choice for home on the other hand.

For home use it's a completely unnecessary layer of complexity that is a pain to recover from. If all you're doing is duplicating data, there are ways to do that that don't require any configuration if your OS dies, or say your motherboard dies and you have trouble getting the OS going again on another machine.

There's nothing wrong with RAID, especially in a corporate environment where you'll have redundancy and agreements in place should something fail.

But in a home environment, especially when not using a mirrored RAID environment, I think Fred is talking about more practical considerations, like having to rebuild the entire array when making a change, or if having to replace hardware being able to access that data in the meantime, etc.

Yep.

Windows Home Server used to have a similar thing to that drivepool stuff, if something went belly-up you could just put the NTFS disk in another PC and all your data will still be accessible.

Is that like Storage Spaces in Server 2012? I was considering using that but I read about some folk having trouble recovering from a failure. It wasn't as simple as Drive Pool sounds. I don't remember the details though.

Is that like Storage Spaces in Server 2012? I was considering using that but I read about some folk having trouble recovering from a failure. It wasn't as simple as Drive Pool sounds. I don't remember the details though.
I haven't used Storage Spaces, so not sure really. Only the first version of Windows Home Server had the drive pooling stuff (called Drive Extender) and it had a few issues (none relating to data loss, but some weird things did happen). They dumped it in the second release of Windows Home Server so that's why I moved on.

Actually, a quick Google of "windows server 2012 storage space drive extender" leads to a couple of places saying it's the same thing in spirit, even if maybe not technically the same.

Shaneus

Ever thought of using this https://stablebit.com/drivepool ? I like that your files are still accessible from any machine if everything goes to shit. You're not tied to any particular hardware or software. Did I mention fuck RAID? Fuck RAID.

I haven't used it myself yet, but I'm going to get it for my HP Microserver. When I get around to getting it running. I need to update the BIOS on it to get Windows 2012 to install which is proving to be a pain. HP were massive cunts and decided to disable firmware downloads unless you have a maintenance contract, so I'm taking a punt on one I found elsewhere. Hoping it doesn't brick it.
I like that Drivepool thing, sounds interesting (and may be something I get running on my desktop rather than NAS). But for the NAS itself, I think I'll be sticking with a vanilla RAID-5 setup across 7 disks. Gives me 12TB to play with when using 2TB drives, I can lose a drive and it's still cool, and because I'm using a separate RAID card as the disk controller, if something happens to the mobo I can dump the card in another desktop (or replace the mobo itself with another that's not $350) and I'm cool.

Shaneus

Knew you were going to say that.

Haven't bought any of the hardware yet, but one of the things I'm hoping for is that given it's a Dell server RAID card (Perc H310), it'll be solid.

Fredescu

Haven't bought any of the hardware yet, but one of the things I'm hoping for is that given it's a Dell server RAID card (Perc H310), it'll be solid.

Can I humbly suggest buying two? It will be more solid than consumer grade hardware purely so they can save money on maintenance callouts, but as cods mentioned, without a maintenance agreement I wouldn't risk it personally. I've had to replace plenty of server based RAID adapters. They're not immune to failure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom