• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 10 - Node Country for Old Men

Status
Not open for further replies.

senahorse

For home use it's a completely unnecessary layer of complexity that is a pain to recover from. If all you're doing is duplicating data, there are ways to do that that don't require any configuration if your OS dies, or say your motherboard dies and you have trouble getting the OS going again on another machine.

Pretty sure with Windows it's just a case of throwing the drive in and setting it back up with disk manager (has been a while since I moved a volume to another pc though), really straight forward stuff. Though, as I mentioned, I am backing up about 12TB, if there is a simpler cost effective way for the home environment of doing this I am all ears, not an area I have looked into recently so what am a bit ignorant to current storage alternatives, p.s. don't tell me to get a tape drive :p

Fredescu

setting it back up with disk manager

This is a potential area of failure that you can do without. There are solutions that don't require this step. Drive Pool that I linked earlier allows you to plug in your disks into any machine that can read NTFS and get the data with no configuration required. I'm sure there are other methods too. In my opinion you want to make sure your recovery process is as simple as possible. In the home, this is more important than any benefits RAID confers.

Fredescu

As I mentioned, software wise I'm going to use Drive Pool. Have a read through: https://stablebit.com/DrivePool/Features

I like that it's a Windows based solution and fairly software and hardware independent.

I don't know how I'd approach 12TB of data hardware wise though. What have you got now? I'm fairly sure I'd just build a custom box for that, but I wonder if two HP Microservers with 4 x 4TB drives would be better power and cost wise? You would have some extra redundancy there too.

senahorse

As I mentioned, software wise I'm going to use Drive Pool. Have a read through: https://stablebit.com/DrivePool/Features

I like that it's a Windows based solution and fairly software and hardware independent.

I don't know how I'd approach 12TB of data hardware wise though. What have you got now? I'm fairly sure I'd just build a custom box for that, but I wonder if two HP Microservers with 4 x 4TB drives would be better power and cost wise? You would have some extra redundancy there too.

Currently using a an old PC as a media server (each time I upgrade I retire the last as a media server), it is simply a data store as I use media extenders elsewhere. So basically I have 24TB worth of WD green drives in RAID 1, so write performance isn't fantastic but performance isn't a concern. Ultimately I would love cloud storage but for that kind of data it makes no sense in the current age we live in (especially in this country), so I only install important documents etc in Skydrive, not media. That drive pool thing looks great, albeit for more moderate storage requirements. Storage is becoming that much of a problem for me I am relying less and and less on physical/local media and turning to online streaming services such as Netflix. If there was an all you can eat service that had everything I would happily pay good money for it, alas, with content licencing it will be a long time before that happens if ever.

So what is your recommendation in the home for keeping 12TB of data backed up?
My personal setup at home is a Synology 1511+ with 5x 3TB disks, with one acting as a hotswap (so, 12TB capacity). I'm using the Synology "hybrid RAID" which is basically the same thing as the Drive Extender/Storage Spaces in Windows but using ext3 or ext4. If the NAS fails I can remove the disks individually and access them using anything that can access these types of disks.

The Synology 1511+ (and similar models in that series) also has the ability to daisy chain a further 2 5-bay boxes, allowing for (assuming one hotswap and 3TB disks) 36TB off the one device. If you wanted it mirrored that would be a maximum of around 18TB (might be tougher with an uneven number of disks).

The hybrid RAID thing ensures that there's a copy of every file on at least two disks (I think this might be adjustable?) so if one fails you can still access all your data, insert another disk and it'll rebuild that data while still being accessible. And you have the other format as a backup.

I prefer a small NAS box to an old PC (which is what I used to use) because it's much smaller and uses a lot less power, while still having the ability to do some other PC-related things (like running SABnzbd and the like).

I just wrote a lot more about that boring topic than I intended.

senahorse

Why moderate? It supports "many petabytes" and is fairly automated. 12TB is well within scope.

Ah yes I just read that, I don't see any benefits for me in converting to it however as I duplicate everything I store on my RAID volumes, aside from having one big disk I guess, unless I am missing a crucial point. I am at work so have just skimmed through it, will look at it in further detail tonight.

edit: If I was to start again from scratch however this would probably be the way to go.

Fredescu

Ah yes I just read that, I don't see any benefits for me in converting to it however as I duplicate everything I store on my RAID volumes, aside from having one big disk I guess, unless I am missing a crucial point. I am at work so have just skimmed through it, will look at it in further detail tonight.

The main benefit over RAID is ease of recovery in the case of hardware or software failure. With RAID you have the added complexity of getting the array working again. With Drive Pool, or with cods solution, all you need to do is plug your drives into a system that recognises the file system. Much simpler.

I duplicate everything I store on my RAID volumes

If by this you mean you're already backing up your entire RAID volume, you're right, switching is probably not worth the effort.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
That's why I use unraid, it's not really a raid but works in a similar way.

I also don't need to spin up every HDD when I want to watch something.

There's a few RAID but not RAID options out there for a home NAS setup.

Ugh. If you want to talk about the raids could you take it somewhere else and leave this thread for delightful beer talk?

kaythanxbyby.

PS- I hates the raid. I've had more trouble with it that times it's saved me. Fred's linked solution looks kinda cool.

Fredescu

There's a solution they use in pubs to prevent critical beer glass failure and it works fairly well. People don't like to lose important beer, so they use that same solution in their homes too.

Sometimes though, they run into trouble when there is a table failure. Pubs have their tables under maintenance contracts to ensure the availability of an identical table within four hours, minimising beer loss.

Home users don't have these contracts because they are expensive, and typically install cheaper tables that come into and out of fashion and availability. Their beer glass protection relies on using that exact model of table though, because it was a solution designed for use in high volume environments like pubs, rather than for the specific needs of the home. Now if their table fails, they risk losing important beer and being unable to recover it.

Buy anything Feral make. The Hop Hog if it's warmer or the Smoked Porter if it's cooler. These are not beers you will regret. Dan Murphy has them. The Woolworths brand booze shops have them sometimes.

Dan Murphy's is Woolworths.

From what Death has mentioned he liked in the past, I reckon Bridge Rd's Celtic Red, Bridgeport's Kingpin, and maybe Grizz by 2 Brothers. Not sure of any decent bottleshops in the CBD, but Slowbeer and Purvis Beer on Swan St in Richmond are both about the best in the state.

Thanks r1chard and cods, I'll have a look today and see what I can procure.

There's a solution they use in pubs to prevent critical beer glass failure and it works fairly well. People don't like to lose important beer, so they use that same solution in their homes too.

Sometimes though, they run into trouble when there is a table failure. Pubs have their tables under maintenance contracts to ensure the availability of an identical table within four hours, minimising beer loss.

Home users don't have these contracts because they are expensive, and typically install cheaper tables that come into and out of fashion and availability. Their beer glass protection relies on using that exact model of table though, because it was a solution designed for use in high volume environments like pubs, rather than for the specific needs of the home. Now if their table fails, they risk losing important beer and being unable to recover it.
Fuck. I don't know how I feel about RAIDBeer discussion.

Quick, someone talk about Shaneus' Pinball Bedroom.

Jintor

New laptop arrived. Immediately started Win 8 and regretted not getting a touch screen but w/e.

So thoughts - should I even bother with office anymore? Go for google docs or open office? It's not like I really use office-specific features...

Jintor

Not sure about status of internet over there for a while though - will take a week or three to set up an account. Google Docs have an offline?

Rizzi

Yay, my copy of Tales of the Abyss for 3DS showed up.
Bloody quick too. It normally takes ages for Ozgameshop stuff to show up after I buy it. This took about a week.

Rahk

and phone plan probs. Predecessor + mentor will probably help.

Grapevine says the mail is going out Monday.
For Internet you could get a portable Wifi hotspot thing. Should be able to find them for around $30 a month with unlimited usage.

Shaneus

I was looking at the PSN and I see there are two different pinball games on here?
Is either worth the money?
Pinball Arcade is the one you want.
Correct.
Cool. I've got $20 left in my PSN wallet. I bought Fez, Resogun and the Freedom Cry dlc for AC4.
Resogun is nuts.
You can give Pinball Arcade a bit of a crack for free as all tables have trial versions (you can get up to the first high score on the game) and one of the best tables has no restriction at all.
Far, FAR better than Zen.

So bloody angry...

Almost 3 weeks since my internet first went down, now they need to send another technician out (the third) so I need to take another day off work. And the technician can't come out for another week!

4 WEEKS TO FIX AN INTERNET CONNECTION PROBLEM.

Shaneus

Are there any tables you would recommend? It looks like I've got enough for one or two.
Uhhmmm... none specifically that I can think of. They're all pretty good in the first season, you're probably better off trying them all first to see what you think. The restriction on the free trial for each is pretty lax if you're a novice, so I wouldn't worry about it not being enough to dip your toes in the water.

I'm not sure what prices are like or packs are available, either. I'd have to brush up on my PS4 packs to see which one would be worth it (they offer them in bundles of two or as a full season, I'm pretty sure).

Edit: We also have an OT :) Just ignore the stupid number of posts I have in that thread. I think something like three times the second-highest poster :/

Jintor

Fucking windows update got caught in a restart loop and now i have to manually install updates one by one to try and isolate the problem...

hamchan

With the Gamespot review saying Mario Kart Wii U is more skill based than ever before I might buy a Wii U right now just for that game.

That's always been the biggest problem with the series and why Sonic racing eventually overtook it in quality. So if it's fixed and races in the game are actual proper races now, rather than lucky item crapshoot, then that's fantastic.

Yay, my copy of Tales of the Abyss for 3DS showed up.
Bloody quick too. It normally takes ages for Ozgameshop stuff to show up after I buy it. This took about a week.
Since they started charging for postage all their stuff has only been taking a week at most.

For Internet you could get a portable Wifi hotspot thing. Should be able to find them for around $30 a month with unlimited usage.
Unlimited? That's fucking nuts!

Cool. I've got $20 left in my PSN wallet. I bought Fez, Resogun and the Freedom Cry dlc for AC4.
Resogun is nuts.
I thought you had Resogun through PS+? It's like the best PS4 out!

lol

I’ve made this point before, back when Nintendo released its iteration of Mario Kart for the original Wii in 2008, but the best feature of previous Mario Kart games was not actually racing around a track, but Battle Mode. I

It's the only Wii!

Also

Nintendo said in the runup to Mario Kart 8‘s released that it had finally introduced an item that allows players to avoid the Blue Shell. The “Super Horn” blows all items out of the vicinity of the player using it. I did get a Super Horn at one point and tried it, and it does indeed blow away an incoming Blue Shell. Only thing is, during the entire course of my playing all of this game’s 32 tracks and some multiplayer matches, I got a Super Horn twice. I got hit by a Blue Shell every damn time.

Pre-order cancelled.

Rizzi

Since they started charging for postage all their stuff has only been taking a week at most.

Unlimited? That's fucking nuts!

I thought you had Resogun through PS+? It's like the best PS4 out!

lol

It's the only Wii!

I got my PS4 after it stopped being free for PS+ sadly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom