• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 10 - Node Country for Old Men

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jintor

So this new laptop has majorly crashed twice within 2 days of ownership necessitating a full system refresh. Windows 8 is a fucking piece of shit. Not even sure the refresh will work this time around.

Jintor

Tell me on macs if you do the normal thing where you think "If I update everything to the latest version it'll be less likely to crash!" is it actually less likely to crash instead of NECESSITATING A FUCKING FORMAT

Omikron

Tell me on macs if you do the normal thing where you think "If I update everything to the latest version it'll be less likely to crash!" is it actually less likely to crash instead of NECESSITATING A FUCKING FORMAT
Macintosh is perfect you unbeliever

ZOMG!

MUTES!

12% off at Dick Smith tonight!

PS4 is $482 posted!

Superior Experience Xbox One with Superiorshootbang FPS MP Arena Shooter Titanfall and Superior Watchesyoufap Kinect and Superiorframespersecond Forza 5 is $526 posted!?!?!!!!!!

ZOMG THAT INCLUDES 3 GLORIOUS MONTHS OF XBOX GOLD TOO!?!?!!! YAY!

So that's only $27 more than the future gimped Xbox One De-Kinected SKU!
For that $27 you get FPS Game of the Month (April) Titanfall and best first party 60fps launch racing title of 2013 Forza 5! And the XBL Gold required to actually make Titanfall more than a useless gigantic download file on your system! WOW!

Jintor

Why not just roll it back and ignore the updates?

you need the updates to get to win 8.1 otherwise the store won't let you d/l it

fucking recovery didn't want to revert for some unknown reason. "Most likely you are running an antivirus" FAT FUCKING CHANCE WHEN IT WON'T EVEN BOOT INTO SAFE MODE HUH fuck

ZOMG!

MUTES!

12% off at Dick Smith tonight!

PS4 is $482 posted!

Superior Experience Xbox One with Superiorshootbang FPS MP Arena Shooter Titanfall and Superior Watchesyoufap Kinect and Superiorframespersecond Forza 5 is $526 posted!?!?!!!!!!

ZOMG THAT INCLUDES 3 GLORIOUS MONTHS OF XBOX GOLD TOO!?!?!!! YAY!

So that's only $27 more than the future gimped Xbox One De-Kinected SKU!
For that $27 you get FPS Game of the Month (April) Titanfall and best first party 60fps launch racing title of 2013 Forza 5! And the XBL Gold required to actually make Titanfall more than a useless gigantic download file on your system! WOW!

:negativeman:

Danoss

you need the updates to get to win 8.1 otherwise the store won't let you d/l it

You can download Windows 8.1 directly from Microsoft and do a clean install of it.

You can't use the Windows 8 key during install, but one of the KMS Client Setup Keys will work, then you just change the key once you're on the desktop.

Go to Microsoft's site here and hit the download Windows 8 (not 8.1). Run the program that downloads, enter your key and after the download starts, close it. Go back to that page and hit the download Windows 8.1 button, run the downloaded tool and it shouldn't ask for the key. Make a DVD or USB boot disk and install using one of the keys at the link above to install it, then change the key to the real one after the install has completed, or you can make this quick change before installation:

Go to the download location and find ei.cfg and open it in Notepad. Paste in this:

Code:
[EditionID]
Core
[Channel]
Retail
[VL]

and then save it. It shouldn't ask for the product key until after installation, at which point your Windows 8 key will work just fine. If you have Windows 8 Pro, change "Core" to "Professional" in the above text. Obviously change this file before making a DVD if you choose this method, the USB will be fine to alter afterwards.

Sounds complicated, but it's not really. For some reason, Microsoft has made it so you can't install 8.1 with a key from 8, even though 8.1 is pretty much a service pack.

Hope this helps. If you can't or don't want to download the OS, let me know and I can get a copy of this to you.

Jintor

that seems like a lot of effort to go to just for the thing to crash irretrievably at some point for no adequete rhyme or reason and for me to use this bollocksed new 'refresh' thing that appears to work instead of system restore but basically resets my thing to factory conditions

sorry d, but unless it's 'download a thing stick it on a usb it'll work instantly' at this point i'm tired of struggling with this fucking thing. maybe later

Quasar

Sounds like shitty hardware.

But then I don't think I've seen a person machine crash since I moved from xp to the vista beta all those years ago. Of course I've always home built machines.

Jintor

I'm pretty sure one part is just an inherent fuckup with windows update and the other is some driver incompatibility issue with whatever bullshit the samsung updater was trying to push down the line. The real issue is that the solution shouldn't be that I have to reinstall EVERYTHING ON THE FUCKING DRIVE AGAIN EACH TIME

Danoss

sorry d, but unless it's 'download a thing stick it on a usb it'll work instantly' at this point i'm tired of struggling with this fucking thing. maybe later

It's actually pretty close to that, it just appears like a lot extra. Once you've tricked the downloader into getting 8.1, you just put it on a USB (doing so is built into the 8.1 download) and use another key to install. Once done, change the key to your real one, which takes about 30 secs at most.

That's it.

raphanum

So, since the US price of a PS4 is $399 and that somehow translates to $549 in AU, does anybody think the new pricing for the X1 will also translate from USD $399 to AUD $549? I don't have much hope for it to be priced any lower than $500 AUD, since getting shafted is what being an Australian is all about.

So, since the US price of a PS4 is $399 and that somehow translates to $549 in AU, does anybody think the new pricing for the X1 will also translate from USD $399 to AUD $549? I don't have much hope for it to be priced any lower than $500 AUD, since getting shafted is what being an Australian is all about.

It was already put to $499 RRP when they announced the new SKU for us

Danoss

It should. Sometimes the key is on a sticker on the laptop. These days is usually in the bios.

Thanks cookie, I'd clocked off for the night and wasn't 100% sure the status of keys for a pre-installed OS. At least Microsoft treats OEM and retail keys the same now.

It's bullshit, I bought into the 'macs don't crash' hype, I've got the latest MacBook Pro and the fucker loves to freeze up at the worst possible opportunities.

Yep, they're just another computer with the same failure rates and such.

I made a backup from a Mac before moving back to PC and it screwed it up so badly. The HDD ended up in RAW format and I couldn't get the damn thing to work, I'd never seen anything like it.

It's bullshit, I bought into the 'macs don't crash' hype, I've got the latest MacBook Pro and the fucker loves to freeze up at the worst possible opportunities.

What are you running when it crashes? Firefox 29 is the only ATM that's guaranteed to lock up on either of my machines.
If it's crashing that much, take it back to Apple.

of course macs crash. Just waaaaay less than every windows machine I've ever worked with.

I work with Macs for a living and haven't seen a kernel panic in years, even on our test machines which we torture extensively. The failures we see are always hardware: dead HDDs for the most part, but occasionally RAM, and we see a shitload of external power brick issues with older MacBook Pros (which often destroy the battery as well). I'm amazed houses haven't burnt down more often.

The OS X side of things is pretty damn bulletproof though. We're constantly amazed at the shit we can do to the OS without ever phasing it. Most problems people attribute to the OS are actually 3rd party application faults or hardware related.

r1chard

Yeah, my new MacBook Pro has locked up a couple of times requiring hard reboot. Has happened twice now, and both times I was editing a URL in the URL bar of Chrome, so I reckon it must be doing something dodgy - but OS X has been pretty damned bulletproof up till now... maybe it's a hardware issue...

TOBIAS
3inUqjy.jpg

Also these are fun. Still valid currency?

senahorse

Saw Godzilla, I will agree with the characters being pretty boring (I liked Bryan Cranston's character though) and I didn't care for the kids or have any emotional attachment to the main character and his other half. That said, we both enjoyed the movie and there was enough going on to keep us entertained throughout, I certainly didn't feel ripped off or anything hyperbolic like that.

Jintor

lol

So i update to Win 8.1 fully. Get everything working, fully customise the metro thing, get all my apps on, get steam on, install a few games, fiddle around a bit, everything's finally working fine except one thing: mouse sensitivity keeps resetting itself whenever the laptop reboots.

"Oh, okay, let's see... let's update the touchpad drivers via the built-in driver updater"

Updates fine... need to reset to keeps settings... oka-

BSOD

fml

Jintor

It's an ATIV Samsung Book 9 of some description. 13'' lightweight so not so powerful but more than adequate, theoretically, except for the fact if you try and install touchpad drivers on the fucking thing it explodes

Okay this time I had some foresight and made a custom refresh point after I installed Win 8.1... hopefully that fucking works and I don't have to sit through another 3 hours of fucking windows updates one at a time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom