• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 10 - Node Country for Old Men

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's an ATIV Samsung Book 9 of some description. 13'' lightweight so not so powerful but more than adequate, theoretically, except for the fact if you try and install touchpad drivers on the fucking thing it explodes

Okay this time I had some foresight and made a custom refresh point after I installed Win 8.1... hopefully that fucking works and I don't have to sit through another 3 hours of fucking windows updates one at a time.

Oh shit I was going to recommend one of those lol but thought it was probably too far from the price you were looking for. Two of my friends just got those (the one with the 3200 x 1800 resolution). They haven't had any problems as far as I know (probably don't want to hear that anyway hah)

Hope it works out soon

Jintor

There was a clearance deal and I snagged one for $500. The trouble I've had with it so far is probably like another $400 though lol

Fredescu

Not in my experience :)

Not enough experience then. No doubt OSX is more stable being based on unix. They had the advantage of being able to start from scratch again after OS9 though. A lot of Windows instability can be attributed to maintaining compatibility going back a long way. They have another distinct advantage of only having to worry about a tiny pool of hardware that the OS runs on.

Considering the amount of crap Windows runs on, and the amount of crap that can run on it, I think the OS has been admirably stable since Windows 2000. I don't see how you can suggest that the majority of problems people have on Windows machines are attributed the core OS rather than to 3rd party hardware or software.

You could blame the OS for allowing so much stuff to be run, including malware and such, and you'd have a point, but then you'd have to blame OSX for the crashes caused by third party software too.

Quasar

Not in my experience :)

That's mine..which is why I've found Windows as stable as other operating systems for a long time.

The only issue I've ever had is with drivers (my pre Vista built system had a soundcard that Turtlebeach refused to give 64b drivers for, and video card drivers can on occasion be flakey - which is why i tend to be very slow at upgrading videocard drivers).

Quasar

Somewhat amusingly in the wake of the dis-kinect I picked up a PS4 camera as I had a JB voucher that was about to expire.

1. For some reason I thought it included something that would allow you to attach it to the top of a TV. Mine did not so I had to play around with setting it up under mine.

2. Voice control. It actually works pretty well for me. I really hope Sony allows for its use within apps though. Having to resort to a controller with netflix after starting it via voice is a bit disappointing. Can't compare it to kinect 2.0 though as I've never used one.

3. Being stuck on DSL makes streaming pretty much unusable. Of course I knew that going in.

Not enough experience then.
Probably true. At work my team manages 3,000 Windows PCs but I only hear about everything second-hand from the guys sitting next to me, so maybe they're feeding me bullshit. My own experience is much more limited than theirs :)

No doubt OSX is more stable being based on unix. They had the advantage of being able to start from scratch again after OS9 though.
It was a pretty ballsy move for Apple to overhaul their entire OS and for end users I think it's pretty easy to argue that it's paid off: OS X was very bare bones in the early days but it's a thing of beauty in its current form. Apple has definitely been more aggressive with regard to backwards compatibility, but OS X still ran OS 9 apps (via Classic) and even after the architectural shift from PPC to x86 it was possible to run PPC apps on x86 hardware (via Rosetta).

They have another distinct advantage of only having to worry about a tiny pool of hardware that the OS runs on.
No arguments there, it's a massive advantage to be writing your own OS for your own hardware, and the results speak for themselves (in my opinion). Not many companies are in a position to be able to pull that off but obviously Apple is one of them :)

Has anybody else tried Foxtel Play on a PS3 or PS4? I got a free month of it but have been very disappointed with the picture quality. I'm on a 110Mb/s connection and it still looks like arse.

Rizzi

Does anyone want to play multiplayer Assassins Creed IV on PS4 some time? Every time I try to play it keeps shoving me in the laggiest matches ever.
Bloody annoying.

Fredescu

Probably true. At work my team manages 3,000 Windows PCs but I only hear about everything second-hand from the guys sitting next to me, so maybe they're feeding me bullshit.

If you've got a stable enough SOE, I could buy that the majority of your problems with your Windows machines are related to OS updates. If it's a fairly open environment, they're feeding you bullshit. I've seen Windows take the blame for poor troubleshooting skills quite a lot.

If you've got a stable enough SOE, I could buy that the majority of your problems with your Windows machines are related to OS updates. If it's a fairly open environment, they're feeding you bullshit. I've seen Windows take the blame for poor troubleshooting skills quite a lot.
Yeah SOE.

That would because it doesn't offer HD streams lol
It's pretty pathetic.
Jesus, what year is this? lol

Quasar

That would because it doesn't offer HD streams lol
It's pretty pathetic.

Can't say I'm surprised. If they offered a HD stream people would have even less reason to get cable/satelite.

I looked at it, but even the free stuff on my DSL was stuttery. Meanwhile a HD Netflix stream with 5,1 audio is flawless in terms of stability.

r1chard

Avalon turns a pretty good game into a great game. So much better. We're having a great time with Coup at the moment (from the same world). We probably need to lay off it for a while though so we don't burn out.
I've played Coup and I'm terrible at it - I just don't lie well enough :) The Yanks we (myself and another Aussie) were playing with have decided that Australians Cannot Lie. (Coup was what I was thinking of when Resistance was pulled out)

Shaneus

I saw an ad for Watch Dogs on TV. It's rated R?!
Watching Spiderman? ;)

Edit: lollers:
xElBbxc.png

agreed, we were going to play the advanced version but then for some reason we stopped playing that after you left.
i think the resistance is such a great 8 player party game as it gives you a chance just to bullshit with each other, i think we should play a round of that each boardgamesday just because it has a high requirement for minimum players and just works so well with lots of people.
im going to pick up 'bang' soon also as i think it has a similar vibe and is great in those settings. (also high player count iirc)

edit: omi what was the fire department game we were talking about in irc the other day called?

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Start new job today. At 9am. I've been awake since 3am. Because I woke up with what seems to be an inner ear infection. Awesome start. At least I went to bed about 9:30, so I can operate off ~5 hours sleep. Discovered the other day that Melbourne's gloriously useless public transport system means bus travel is going to be a pain in the arse. No other option as I don't drive. Feel like shit. Not looking forward to this job at all. Miserable. Bah.

Start new job today. At 9am. I've been awake since 3am. Because I woke up with what seems to be an inner ear infection. Awesome start. At least I went to bed about 9:30, so I can operate off ~5 hours sleep. Discovered the other day that Melbourne's gloriously useless public transport system means bus travel is going to be a pain in the arse. No other option as I don't drive. Feel like shit. Not looking forward to this job at all. Miserable. Bah.
tumblr_n4fzg2z6Xf1rf4oe3o1_500.png

Omikron

agreed, we were going to play the advanced version but then for some reason we stopped playing that after you left.
i think the resistance is such a great 8 player party game as it gives you a chance just to bullshit with each other, i think we should play a round of that each boardgamesday just because it has a high requirement for minimum players and just works so well with lots of people.
im going to pick up 'bang' soon also as i think it has a similar vibe and is great in those settings. (also high player count iirc)

edit: omi what was the fire department game we were talking about in irc the other day called?
Flashpoint Fire Rescue

Fucking Skylanders 3 mang. Played like 5 hours of it last night. Must be like 20 hour game as I'm barely out of the tutorials!

Didn't really like Godzilla, let's hope xmen makes up for it.

Watched First Class on Saturday, thought it was pretty terrible all round. Dialogue was TERRIBLE. Acting was pretty good, along with some good at times direction. Looked really cheap which was a surprise. Kevin Bacon was fantastic lol. The Magneto/Prof X stuff was great thankfully. Hopefully this new Xmen movie has a better script because damn, that was terrible. Laughed out loud several times at some really bizarre lines.

Gazunta

Man I really want to enjoy Days Of Future Past but I just know I'd spend all the time in the cinema fuming about how Claremont and Byrne are getting $0.00 for the movie adaptation of the comics they made. Stupid comic book industry bums me out sometimes.

OH HEY SPEAKING OF COMICS THAT PAY ITS CREATORS NOTHING, HERE IS A NEW PRESIDOG COMIC FOR YOU

Darren870

Should start my first job in Aus on Wednesday. Looking forward to it actually, nice to be getting back to work.

I'm sure I'll change my mind in 6 months...

Man I really want to enjoy Days Of Future Past but I just know I'd spend all the time in the cinema fuming about how Claremont and Byrne are getting $0.00 for the movie adaptation of the comics they made. Stupid comic book industry bums me out sometimes.

It's work for hire. They were paid for their stuff originally. Remember that when they decide to do a movie based on Legend of Spyro. It would be nice. Lots of things would be nice.

also- If Star Wars Ep VIII does well, will you be as pissed that George Lucas gets zip from that? I shan't

Thanks! Unfortunately quite a bit less then I was making in London. Not sure how I feel about it and if I am rushing just to get a job. I guess I can reevaluate the market and everything in a year or so.

I remember when you could tell people coming from overseas, the UK, in particular, and tell them that despite the lower wages here, "the cost of living is way lower."

Gazunta

It's work for hire. They were paid for their stuff originally. Remember that when they decide to do a movie based on Legend of Spyro. It would be nice. Lots of things would be nice.

also- If Star Wars Ep VIII does well, will you be as pissed that George Lucas gets zip from that?

Yeah it's murky for me and I'm well aware my views on work for hire are very contradictory :p

It just kinda gets me when I hear that the creators of the characters / stories that get turned into huge things get nothing. Reprinting the comic in collections is one thing (which, funnily enough, thanks to the more progressive deals at Marvel / DC these days, they do get a cut of) but when it's transformed into something else entirely it just gets weird to me. That's when it's ethically (NOT legally - quite rightly, the company the creator did the work for hire for has no legal obligation whatsoever) the right thing for the company to acknowledge the creators input financially or (more importantly to me), even as a credit.

It didn't bother me that, say, Eugene Jarvis didn't get a cent from the XBLA re-release of Smash TV, but fuck it made me angry his name was removed from the credits. That's just fucking low in my book.

Work For Hire (to me) is the Venn diagram point where creator rights, law and money intersect, and it'll never be satisfactory to everyone, but I'll always be on the side of the creator.

Lucas and Star Wars is kind of different though. He sold a pre-existing work that he owned to another company. If he made the original movies for Disney originally it would be more akin to this.

FAKE EDIT: But Gazunta, why are you so anti-X-Men movies but so madly in love with the Marvel Cinematic Universe? Well...coz a) as stated above, I'm a hypocrite and b) I hear all sorts of stories about Disney / Marvel quietly taking care of the artists that have their works used as the basis for the films / TV shows, so...uh...hmm.

Anyway. Kids. Work For Hire - READ UP ABOUT IT BEFORE YOU SIGN. I'm glad I knew about it growing up watching Kirby fight for his rights, and people like Dave Sim and Eastman & Laird show that you don't have to sign everything away to get results, and to know what you're getting into beforehand.

Man I'm glad that Spyro movie never got made though :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom