• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 10 - Node Country for Old Men

Status
Not open for further replies.
Should start my first job in Aus on Wednesday. Looking forward to it actually, nice to be getting back to work.

I'm sure I'll change my mind in 6 months...

Bloody foreigners taking out jobs!

congrats, what job did you end up getting?

Man I really want to enjoy Days Of Future Past but I just know I'd spend all the time in the cinema fuming about how Claremont and Byrne are getting $0.00 for the movie adaptation of the comics they made. Stupid comic book industry bums me out sometimes.

OH HEY SPEAKING OF COMICS THAT PAY ITS CREATORS NOTHING, HERE IS A NEW PRESIDOG COMIC FOR YOU

No real sympathy from me, they were paid for it originally. Though some acknowledgment wouldn't go astray.

Darren870

I remember when you could tell people coming from overseas, the UK, in particular, and tell them that despite the lower wages here, "the cost of living is way lower."

Yeaaaa. I mean its more then I was making 4 years ago in the states, but much less then what I was making the past 1.5 years in London. Almost feels like I've gone backwards... :(

Melbourne seems to be a bit cheaper then London. Well kind of. Beer is way way way more. Wine, is much cheaper. I think I will just have to consume less Beer. I didn't have to drive in London. I have a car now but hopefully will use it less then I have been.

Online calculators say Melbourne is 25% cheaper then London though.

I'll just have to budget better and shop better. Got my Costco memebership already, so saved a bit right away!

Bloody foreigners taking out jobs!

congrats, what job did you end up getting?

:D
Network Security Engineer. Design, configuration and project work around Firewalls. Exactly what I've been doing for most my career.

What I do like though is that I will get to play with some new technologies. Will be good experience for me if I ever decide to go contracting.

Shop at Aldi! Also living in London meant you had to get Vitamin D injections, we have sunlight here thankfully!

Also Cod I remember you talking about the bullshit way they tax beer depending on alcohol content.
Is it likely you could make a beer taste like a 6% beer but it only be a light beer with a low (say 2-3%) alcohol percentage?

Shop at Aldi! Also living in London meant you had to get Vitamin D injections, we have sunlight here thankfully!

Also Cod I remember you talking about the bullshit way they tax beer depending on alcohol content.
Is it likely you could make a beer taste like a 6% beer but it only be a light beer with a low (say 2-3%) alcohol percentage?
Making a lighter alcohol beer that's still full flavoured is pretty difficult actually. In order to get a decent amount of taste, you need to include enough malt to impart flavour, but in the process you also have the sugars that are converted to alcohol.

Some of the more commercial, weaker tasting beers (e.g. CUB stuff) use adjuncts to increase the amount of alcohol, so it's possible some of those could potentially be lower alcohol if they thought the market was there (but then, they make their stuff cheaply enough it's not a problem for them).

In the UK, milds are pretty popular (3-4% ish, basically a standard bitter). Berliner Weisses are also low in alcohol (around 3%), I really like these, they're basically what carbonated soft drinks were before carbonated soft drinks were a thing. There's a basic base flavour and then they pour syrup into them. Great on hot days.

But yeah, tl;dr: It's pretty hard to make a good tasting beer without the alcohol being there.

Gazunta

It just occurred to me that I never signed any contract for my game reviews for TV Week like 15 years ago. I wonder if I still own the rights to them?

Darren870

Making a lighter alcohol beer that's still full flavoured is pretty difficult actually. In order to get a decent amount of taste, you need to include enough malt to impart flavour, but in the process you also have the sugars that are converted to alcohol.

Some of the more commercial, weaker tasting beers (e.g. CUB stuff) use adjuncts to increase the amount of alcohol, so it's possible some of those could potentially be lower alcohol if they thought the market was there (but then, they make their stuff cheaply enough it's not a problem for them).

In the UK, milds are pretty popular (3-4% ish, basically a standard bitter). Berliner Weisses are also low in alcohol (around 3%), I really like these, they're basically what carbonated soft drinks were before carbonated soft drinks were a thing. There's a basic base flavour and then they pour syrup into them. Great on hot days.

But yeah, tl;dr: It's pretty hard to make a good tasting beer without the alcohol being there.

That and its hardly worth the "savings" if your drinking to drink. If I'm just passing by a pub to have a social drink I'll have the beer with the highest precent. Wind up spending more money otherwise.

I prefer taste to alcohol content, but usually I will buy those to take home. A 6 pack here is $20+ though. You can get a 12 pack in the burbs of NY for that price. Rather just get some wine.

Going to try and make some beer though once I find a place to live.

Stackboy

I've noticed a stack of games (particularly, indie ones) are getting small updates on Steam. Is a sale around the corner?

Makes sense. Mid year sale TAKE ALL MY MONEY.

Start new job today. At 9am. I've been awake since 3am. Because I woke up with what seems to be an inner ear infection. Awesome start. At least I went to bed about 9:30, so I can operate off ~5 hours sleep. Discovered the other day that Melbourne's gloriously useless public transport system means bus travel is going to be a pain in the arse. No other option as I don't drive. Feel like shit. Not looking forward to this job at all. Miserable. Bah.

Chin up man, hope you've been able to stay positive and it's a good first day.

jambo

Fuck, you guys talk a lot.

Has anyone bought those Marvel Chess figurines at the newsagent they're advertising at the moment?

I think I saw the Spidey one for $5.99.

They had a huge box full of them. I dunno if chess is the best angle for comic book crap for kids.

Telstra to build national Wi-Fi hotspots

"Telstra is set to announce a plan to invest tens of millions of dollars in a national Wi-Fi network on Tuesday in Sydney.
Fairfax Media understands the network will be rolled out across the country as a public network for its customers to better use its broadband services."

coooool. I guess it's progress in a small way.

Quasar

Across the country huh. Does that mean CBDs of Sydney, Melbourne and maybe Brisbane?

not that I'm willing to pay telstra price gouging prices for data.

Damn it :(

I don't care about getting drunk, that's what spirits are for.

Maybe I need to move to the UK :/

Jintor

"Telstra is set to announce a plan to invest tens of millions of dollars in a national Wi-Fi network on Tuesday in Sydney.
Fairfax Media understands the network will be rolled out across the country as a public network for its customers to better use its broadband services."

Across the country huh. Does that mean CBDs of Sydney, Melbourne and maybe Brisbane?

not that I'm willing to pay telstra price gouging prices for data.

I can't say that this sounds brilliant considering most people are already on 3G afaik, but eh, hardly a negative...

That NBN tho

Unless it's 100mb minimum and has the data cap to match nbn along with pricing it can go get fucked.

Danoss

I can't say that this sounds brilliant considering most people are already on 3G afaik, but eh, hardly a negative...

That NBN tho

Charged at the Telstra price of 5c/MB in MB blocks.

Stream the latest Game of Thrones episode in HD for only $50!

Stackboy

Does PSN credit have an expiry date? I bought a bunch of credit during that Paypal promotion and there's nothing out I really want, but I'm sure down the track there will be some cool indie games I'll want on PS4/PS3/Vita.

hamchan

It's getting harder and harder to get a full game of Titanfall on PC in Australia.

Yep. Regret buying it. Didn't play it very much at all and there doesn't seem to be much depth to the gameplay. I would even prefer to play CoD on the consoles because that game at least gives a lot of content, variety in load outs and has a huge playerbase.

jambo

http://www.queenonline.com/en/news-...-shows-qol-and-fan-club-pre-sale-information/

THE WAIT IS OVER!

QUEEN MAKE LONG AWAITED RETURN TO AUSTRALIA IN AUGUST

THE ‘ONCE IN A LIFETIME’ TOUR

NATIONAL TOUR DATES

PERTH – Friday 22 August – Perth Arena

SYDNEY – Tuesday 26 August – Allphones Arena

MELBOURNE – Friday 29 August – Rod Laver Arena

BRISBANE – Monday 1 September – Brisbane Entertainment Centre

TICKETS ON SALE WEDNESDAY 28 MAY FROM TICKETEK.COM.AU

Cunts, no Adelaide date.

Great. Now, Queen decide to tour Australia. It's only half of Queen, but still, semi-Queen is better than nothing.

They will have to change some songs to reflect no Freddie or John Deacon. Unicycle Race, Death on One Leg, I Will Rock You, Half Vision, Fat-Bottomed Girl, I Want Some of It, Bohemian Halfsody, the Three and a Half Seas of Rhye.

I may be visiting/returning to Brisbane in mid-september, so great. I'd miss that.

also, I really enjoyed Titanfall. I managed 7 weeks out of the PC version but I wished It'd jumped on an XB1 bundle instead. PC player counts were starting to get shitty when I stopped playing a few weeks ago. It lasted longer than BF4 or Ghosts.

Sorry Shaneus, Sony gave my PSN wallet credit back.

Refunded the purchase as a "one time good will gesture" lol

You're the ones with the broken system Sony, not me. Fix your shit, tell EA to stop being lazy cunts and start using 2 step.

Also let me block any and all FUT transactions on my PSN account. This is 2014 ffs. You can easily program that.

Now I have one bronze FIFA14 trophy I can't get rid of >_<

Shaneus

http://www.queenonline.com/en/news-...-shows-qol-and-fan-club-pre-sale-information/

THE WAIT IS OVER!

NATIONAL TOUR DATES

Woo!

Sorry Shaneus, Sony gave my PSN wallet credit back.

Refunded the purchase as a "one time good will gesture" lol

You're the ones with the broken system Sony, not me. Fix your shit, tell EA to stop being lazy cunts and start using 2 step.

Also let me block any and all FUT transactions on my PSN account. This is 2014 ffs. You can easily program that.

Now I have one bronze FIFA14 trophy I can't get rid of >_<
Cunts :/ How much money was it? Did you tell them about meeeee?

Dead Man

THE WAIT IS OVER!

NATIONAL TOUR DATES

Cunts, no Adelaide date.

Why do bands still do that? Fuck em. No Freddy, not Queen.

Crikey, already had a call from Centrelink about the Family Tax stuff. Gave me a grilling over what assets I have! Odd since I thought it was end of June for all that paperwork, sounds like they've started reviewing FTB cases already.

Cunts :/ How much money was it? Did you tell them about meeeee?

It was almost $60 worth. I said lots of people had similar problems where their account had been abused, didn't mention you by name though! I remarked about the ACCC being quite clear about instances such as this where accounts are vulnerable due to the provider having exploitable systems so maybe that helped in my favour.

I hope this doesn't mean our GT6 transaction any harm!!!

Was pulling it down at 6-8 MB/s earlier this morning. Had to turn off my PC before it finished tho because they're installing a new wardrobe/shelving/desk unit into my room today.

NBN yeahh

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Was pulling it down at 6-8 MB/s earlier this morning. Had to turn off my PC before it finished tho because they're installing a new wardrobe/shelving/desk unit into my room today.

NBN yeahh

It's nice when that happens. Mostly happens for me on Telstra Cable. Depends where i'm downloading from of course.

Quasar

Unless it's 100mb minimum and has the data cap to match nbn along with pricing it can go get fucked.

As its for Telstra customers only, you'd think the sensible approach would be to apply the data used to your existing account that you are logging in with. But that would be too sensible.

Stackboy

It's weird that the review embargo for the new Wolfenstein is after the release in Australia. Reviews should be up in about 30 mins.

You're on a 20gb cap?

:S

Multi-gig patches are in vogue this gen bro. Luckily, this patch is not required to actually play the game (not sure how it works on steam but you can play without the patch on consoles).

Dead Man

You're on a 20gb cap?

:S

Multi-gig patches are in vogue this gen bro. Luckily, this patch is not required to actually play the game (not sure how it works on steam but you can play without the patch on consoles).

Nah, that plus the game download. 200gb cap. Not a deal breaker since I only buy new release games occasionally so it normally doesn't bother me to wait a bit to play if I am near my cap. Still, with a game this size and wanting to get in on the hype train it is a bit irritating.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom