• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 10 - Node Country for Old Men

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jintor

What a joke that watch dogs PC performance thread has become. Looking forward to needing to post movie stubs, book receipts etc for any topic I want to talk about.

The situation seemed pretty clear to me. PC release should officially only be in the hands of press reviewers at that time and GAF is an anti-piracy forum in pretty much every aspect, at least in terms of being obvious about it.

I mean shit link to scanlations in the mangagaf or to fansubs in the anime threads and see what occurs

lexi

Banned
The situation seemed pretty clear to me. PC release should officially only be in the hands of press reviewers at that time and GAF is an anti-piracy forum in pretty much every aspect, at least in terms of being obvious about it.

I mean shit link to scanlations in the mangagaf or to fansubs in the anime threads and see what occurs

As I understand it even when the game is released if you want to post impressions you need to post proof that you own the game. It's a fucking joke, I can get on an international flight with less scrutiny and guilt-assumption.

What a joke that watch dogs PC performance thread has become. Looking forward to needing to post movie stubs, book receipts etc for any topic I want to talk about; how Orwellian.

ISF3Qib.png

Proof that I own this book therefore I am legally allowed to make that reference.

It got really bad in the last few days so I understand why they are going ott right now about it. Especially since GAF is a hotbed of dev/pub employees.

People in the Watch Dogs OT yesterday were openly saying they pirated the game. That's messed up.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
I agree with Lexi, it's a little odd to say the least. We seem to have threads on gaf that don't seem to violate the rules even though they potentially should. The manga thread is the first one that comes to mind, how many people are buying and reading each weeks release in Japanese or are they just reading English translations online.

The emulation threads like dolphin, no one needs to prove they own the game as they post screenshots of it running.

Albums that get leaked are often discussed in their own thread, Eminems latest comes to mind.

I understand what's going on but it seems a little strange at the same time. Watch dogs is the big release and one that's been scrutinised since it's display in 2012, so people are eager to talk about how its downgraded no matter how they get the game.

It's a fine line to try and walk on. Do you allow the discussion to continue with the high possibly that people contributing have pirated the game before release. Or do you simply turn a blind eye as it's a few days off release and early hard copy sales can happen.

It got really bad in the last few days so I understand why they are going ott right now about it. Especially since GAF is a hotbed of dev/pub employees.

People in the Watch Dogs OT yesterday were openly saying they pirated the game. That's messed up.

It's not like they were offering download links to the game or anything. Boasting about pirating is always a bad idea, everyone else they should just assume are "innocent".

Rahk

What if you're reposting images of Watch Dogs you found elsewhere? Or do you not have that privilege if you don't own it yourself?

Edit: Oh, it's impressions and not just screenshots? Well, lol.

lexi

Banned
My exclusive watch dogs impressions:

2nd rate GTA clone, so I guess that makes 3rd rate cause GTA is already terrible.

Buy sleeping dogs instead.

It's a fine line to try and walk on. Do you allow the discussion to continue with the high possibly that people contributing have pirated the game before release. Or do you simply turn a blind eye as it's a few days off release and early hard copy sales can happen.

I expect the issue was raised since quite a few GAF members worked on Watch Dogs. I've seen a few bans in the past for people admitting to pirating video games so that seems to have been the line for a fair while now.

Also don't forget to disable Adblock with NeoGAF or you will be banned if they find out!

I have DOGE. $60 from Dick Smith. Happy to pay an extra $6 to have it day one rather than week 2 down here.

Pretty irritating that ads seem to cut into GAF performance. I mean, that's what I heard. From someone else entirely.

Felt more like the cashbux linker thing they used slowed things down more than the ads. I turned that off pretty quickly, even at work.

The ads in general do seem to be loading links longer than I would expect, especially when the rest of the thread loads up quicker than them a lot of times. Really odd, in a good way thankfully.

I can understand not liking GTA, but you can hardly call it terrible.

Which one? Coz I played most of the 3D ones and still think the mechanics are shit and the missions (the ones I played at any rate) were boring. The radio stations are funny and the worlds have a lot of love put into them but I can't get over how crap combat is. I guess maybe if I liked racing games I would enjoy the driving more?

Kritz

Banned
I also haven't really enjoyed the 3D GTA games that much. I love the world details of GTA4, and GTA5's story and gameplay were surprisingly capable (because it had bullet time), but those things aside I really don't like the franchise.

But I do tend to like most GTA clones, from Saints Row to Mafia.

And Sleeping Dogs is great.

Fredescu

I guess maybe if I liked racing games I would enjoy the driving more?

More, as in just enough to wish you were playing a racing game and not GTA.

I always thought I hated GTA style games. Then I played Saints Row, Mafia and Crackdown and realised I just hate GTA. I'm shit at the skill side of video games, so the uneven nature of the mission difficulties and long check points always stop me from getting very far in them. I don't enjoy the sandbox nature of it at all, I need structure. Grade me! Evaluate and rank me! I think hot seating the last level of Doom 2 with all the cheats with friends for months on end got my desire for doing whatever I want out of my system. Now I need to fill bars.

Which one? Coz I played most of the 3D ones and still think the mechanics are shit and the missions (the ones I played at any rate) were boring. The radio stations are funny and the worlds have a lot of love put into them but I can't get over how crap combat is. I guess maybe if I liked racing games I would enjoy the driving more?

GTA5? I agree the combat controls in 4 were a freaking nightmare but 5 had great controls. Had no issue pulling off headshots and crowd control.

I'm pretty awesome though :)

Also thought the radio/TV/city wasn't funny in 4/5 to be honest. Not up to 3/VC/SA level in my opinion.

Jintor

GTA games have always had fucking terrible gameplay.

My favourite was definitely in Vice City though where the system was just freeform/broken enough to encourage some fun things.

There's a mission where you get trapped in a yard and a bunch of taxis try and run you down. But if you bring one of those ramp trucks in there and park by the water, they'll all try and ram you and hurl themselves into the sea

GTA5? I agree the combat controls in 4 were a freaking nightmare but 5 had great controls. Had no issue pulling off headshots and crowd control.
I found it was pretty easy to pull off headshots in GTA 4. All you had to do was pull halfway or whatever it was to lock on, then a flick of the stick at just the right amount resulted in a headshot every single time. Everyone was the same height, making it kinda dull, actually. Had a similar thing with Saints Row 3.

Shaneus

More, as in just enough to wish you were playing a racing game and not GTA.

I always thought I hated GTA style games. Then I played Saints Row, Mafia and Crackdown and realised I just hate GTA. I'm shit at the skill side of video games, so the uneven nature of the mission difficulties and long check points always stop me from getting very far in them. I don't enjoy the sandbox nature of it at all, I need structure. Grade me! Evaluate and rank me! I think hot seating the last level of Doom 2 with all the cheats with friends for months on end got my desire for doing whatever I want out of my system. Now I need to fill bars.
Holy shit, I think you're onto something. I'm the same in that I enjoyed Saint's Row (1 and 2), Mafia and Crackdown and it's totally the structure of the games as to why I enjoy them. It sounds nitpicky and #firstworldproblems but GTA is just too damned open for me to enjoy. Probably the same reason I was able to complete at least the "good" side of Infamous SS.

legend166

Has anyone else found that graphical fidelity seems to have become even more important amongst the denizens of the Gaming forum now, to the point where it's laughable?

I thought as we'd continue to get diminishing returns on this stuff people would actually start to care less but it seems everyone cares more. It could just be a case of it being early in the generation so people focus of this stuff I guess.

But does anyone really care if a game is 900p or 1080p? Sure it would be great if everything was 1080p/60fps but it's not and probably won't ever be so just move on and start focusing on whether the game is interesting/fun//enjoyable/challenging to play or not.

Every thread seems to devolve into the same thing and it makes any sort of discussion about video games tiring and pointless.

senahorse

Sleeping Dogs looked pretty, controlled well and the story was alright but there really wasn't a great deal to do in that game. GTAIV I found rather dull, GTAV was one off my favourite games last year, loved the gameplay, loved the characters, loved the world. Hmmm my favourite game of last year was Last of Us, the year before it was Journey (tied with WD season 1), for a PC gamer that's quite the statement.

legend166

I care about FPS tbh but from about 720p upwards I'm not as fussed re: resolution.

But framerate is a real murderer

Yeah that's more understandable since it can actually effect how the game plays.

But man the whole resolution whingefest is just tiring.

It could just be me though. I think in general I'm losing interest in the industry. Although I did just put 30 hours into Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze because that game is AMAZING.

Fredescu

I'll take resolution over framerate if we're talking about a game where "workspace" matters, like a strategy game or something. I assume it's not that style of gaming being argued about though.

But does anyone really care if a game is 900p or 1080p? Sure it would be great if everything was 1080p/60fps but it's not and probably won't ever be so just move on and start focusing on whether the game is interesting/fun//enjoyable/challenging to play or not.

Team Sony made an enormous deal over getting 1080p when the XBO wasn't. 900p, a resolution substantially higher than the 720p they were cumming in their pants over last generation, is now an indecipherable blurry mess.

Jintor

I'll take resolution over framerate if we're talking about a game where "workspace" matters, like a strategy game or something. I assume it's not that style of gaming being argued about though.

I see your point but even in Tropico 5 where because of the Picture in Picture notifications the framerate can dip below 20 when scrolling it's incredibly irritating.

Every thread seems to devolve into the same thing and it makes any sort of discussion about video games tiring and pointless.
If a game is a solid 25-ish fps or above, and looks nice I don't really care. If I have to turn have off the options off and lower it to 1280x720, I'm not bothered at all if the game is fun.

Graphics, to me, are something you notice for the first 60 minutes of a game and unless there are moments where everything suddenly looks awesome for some reason, they just fade into the background.

But really, it's a nice easy way for fanpeople to express their arguments I guess.

senahorse

Resolution matters to me somewhat, that is, I like it to be the native resolution of the display I am running on, however with a console there is nothing you can do about it so it's something I have to live with if I want to play the game in question. On PC my first priority is getting the game to run at 1080P @ 60fps, if I can maintain that comfortably I will downsample as much as I can.

Jintor

www.Grouvee.com Might work for you? did a quick google haven't actually used it myself but seems decent. Problem is you lose a little flexibility once everything has to be linked to a cover+info

Edit: Just took a crack at it seems pretty damn solid, you can create custom categories to put them in, Also you can add the completion level (Main quest + 100% etc.) adding the platform takes a little extra time as you have to manually click edit then the platform and it wont default to a single platform even if there is only one.

Also has steam import capabilities

Had a look, design is terrible, thanks though. (Also I apparently already had an account from the last time I was looking around for this kind of thing)

jambo

GTA III never really did it for me, but Vice City and San Andreas really did. I played them all on PC with mouse and keyboard so that may have helped to make the combat more enjoyable. It was just the great story in both of those games that kept me going through it, nothing Oscar worthy, just solid writing with great topical comedy.

GTA IV, with it's serious story and darker tone was a bit of a let down, but it has superb multiplayer if you get the right group of people together. Probably put 500 hours in to IV and EFLC because of Free Mode in multi. Full city of cars, pedestrians and cops PLUS 15 other players? Madness. I also loved the driving physics of IV, just so much fun sliding around in the big 4WDs and the sportier cars.

GTA V was a step up from IV, probably the best open world location to date (of any game) and it had a great triple character story and finally a player-like character (Trevor). Just waiting for GTA V to come out on PC so I can sink another 500 hours in to a GTA game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom