• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 10 - Node Country for Old Men

Status
Not open for further replies.
Watch Dogs has a fucking INSANE amount of content in terms of bars/collectibles. Freaking insane. You even have check-ins around the city >_<

More, as in just enough to wish you were playing a racing game and not GTA.

I always thought I hated GTA style games. Then I played Saints Row, Mafia and Crackdown and realised I just hate GTA. I'm shit at the skill side of video games, so the uneven nature of the mission difficulties and long check points always stop me from getting very far in them. I don't enjoy the sandbox nature of it at all, I need structure. Grade me! Evaluate and rank me! I think hot seating the last level of Doom 2 with all the cheats with friends for months on end got my desire for doing whatever I want out of my system. Now I need to fill bars.
You would like GTA5 a lot more than GTA3 trilogy then, lots of bars to fill and stuff to collect. I really enjoyed getting 100% in it.

I found SR3/4 to be overall let downs compared to SR2. That was the peak of fun, collect and improve shit games.
SR3 is an odd beast, enjoyable at the time though.
SR4 is basically a Crackdown expansion pack for SR3. Missing a lot of things but throws in some cool stuff other games used to do.

Oh, I thought I bought the standard edition. Turns out it's the ANZ special edition.
DLC codes hoooo.
All copies here will be ANZ copies pretty sure.

I found it was pretty easy to pull off headshots in GTA 4. All you had to do was pull halfway or whatever it was to lock on, then a flick of the stick at just the right amount resulted in a headshot every single time. Everyone was the same height, making it kinda dull, actually. Had a similar thing with Saints Row 3.
Oh yeah forgot about the softlock. I played on PS3 and had a ton of trouble with the soft lock. Was more fun on PC but still found GTA5 to be a big step up in letting me feel more in control.

Has anyone else found that graphical fidelity seems to have become even more important amongst the denizens of the Gaming forum now, to the point where it's laughable?
Console warriors. Xbox went from top dog to getting trounced by Sony so tempers are flared as fuck.

Tommy DJ

Framerate is pretty important, especially since most LCD displays are locked at 60hz refresh rates. Gaming is a visual medium that responds to inputs and a stable 60fps framerate decreases latency and increases smoothness of motion. A huge part of why Nintendo games are so responsive and look so smooth is how they deal with frame rate.

Resolution is important too but people in the Gaming Discussion forum care about it for the wrong reasons. Its really nice to combine high resolution with good anti-aliasing, especially if you're going for a cartoon art style with lots of bold lines and colours, but there is no reason to throw the baby and the bath water out just to achieve native 1080P. To them, its just a number to beat something with.

At the end of the day, the technical aspects of a game should be robust and sensible enough to enhance the game or, at the very least, not get in the way. The number of devs that still use unlocked frame rates on consoles is still frustrating.
Watch Dogs sucks.

Looks like any Ubisoft AAA title to me: lots of dudes making nice assets and squeezing it into the game equivalent of a terribly mastered album. Completely structure-less AAA titles are pretty boring these days unless they're Just Cause.

Quasar

Looks like any Ubisoft AAA title to me: lots of dudes making nice assets and squeezing it into the game equivalent of a terribly mastered album. Completely structure-less AAA titles are pretty boring these days unless they're Just Cause.

I do get the feeling its like AC1 too in that its a concept piece for the idea of Watchdogs that will get fleshed out to a proper game in future installments.

I have DOGE. $60 from Dick Smith. Happy to pay an extra $6 to have it day one rather than week 2 down here.

Watch Dogs is $64 at Target.

$54 if you use the coupon, no waiting period. Some folks who ordered this morning picked it up already.

GTA III never really did it for me, but Vice City and San Andreas really did. I played them all on PC with mouse and keyboard so that may have helped to make the combat more enjoyable. It was just the great story in both of those games that kept me going through it, nothing Oscar worthy, just solid writing with great topical comedy.

GTA IV, with it's serious story and darker tone was a bit of a let down, but it has superb multiplayer if you get the right group of people together. Probably put 500 hours in to IV and EFLC because of Free Mode in multi. Full city of cars, pedestrians and cops PLUS 15 other players? Madness. I also loved the driving physics of IV, just so much fun sliding around in the big 4WDs and the sportier cars.

GTA V was a step up from IV, probably the best open world location to date (of any game) and it had a great triple character story and finally a player-like character (Trevor). Just waiting for GTA V to come out on PC so I can sink another 500 hours in to a GTA game.

I agree with you 100%.

$54 if you use the coupon, no waiting period. Some folks who ordered this morning picked it up already.

Like I said, 2 week wait down here in the country. Last time I used Click & Collect on a sale toy for my son it took about 9 working days before the store here said I could come pick it up.

I double checked on the way to DSE to see if Target would do that price instore but no dice. Happy with $60 anyway. Game is awesome :)

Like I said, 2 week wait down here in the country. Last time I used Click & Collect on a sale toy for my son it took about 9 working days before the store here said I could come pick it up.

I double checked on the way to DSE to see if Target would do that price instore but no dice. Happy with $60 anyway. Game is awesome :)

Fair enough. I haven't finished wolfenstein yet, so will start WD once I do.

A new Curiosity Show episode

Certainly a thing for those of a particular age bracket.

They've aged
StatlerandWaldorf%282%29.JPG

so have I

curiosity show themes
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OV_qw1CH2f4
I remember the first two, the 80's synth one was after my time

Hi AusGAf, new member so I thought I would say hello.

I'm from Melbourne and I like video games so this seemed like a somewhat appropriate place to hang out.

I seem to mostly PS3/4 at the moment so feel free to add me to PSN: StueyRowls

jambo

Hi AusGAf, new member so I thought I would say hello.

I'm from Melbourne and I like video games so this seemed like a somewhat appropriate place to hang out.

I seem to mostly PS3/4 at the moment so feel free to add me to PSN: StueyRowls

Welcome. What have you been playing on PS3/4 lately?

There is an extended questionnaire, if you would like to fill it out.

Looks like Watch Dogs is the inferior open world game with "Dogs" in the name.

As a huge advocate of Sleepy Dogs over the last few years I wouldn't agree with that. SD had a very restrained open world whereas WD is really really really open with an insane amount of things to do.

Can't fucking wait for SD2 though if they are allowed the time to give the world the depth it needs.

Welcome. What have you been playing on PS3/4 lately?

There is an extended questionnaire, if you would like to fill it out.

I'm a couple of hours into Transistor, which I'm enjoying a fair amount.

Still making my way through Infamous before playing Watch Dogs.

PS3 is primarily used to get my racing fix, so a little GT6 and I grabbed a cheap copy of Test Drive: Ferrari Racing Legends after hearing some positive reports.

hamchan

As a huge advocate of Sleepy Dogs over the last few years I wouldn't agree with that. SD had a very restrained open world whereas WD is really really really open with an insane amount of things to do.

Can't fucking wait for SD2 though if they are allowed the time to give the world the depth it needs.

The problem is whether WD's open world is like every other Ubisoft open world game where there's an insane amount of things to do, just that 80% of the things to do aren't worth doing.

I think I like open world games that restrain themselves. Big but not too big and not just adding side quests and collectables for the sake of it. It's why I like the Yakuza series a lot.

As long as WD doesn't force me to complete side missions in order to advance I'll probably like just playing through the main story.

After 29 days I finally have internet access back at home. God damn it's good to be back!

Now the next question is what the hell do I demand from Internode for screwing with me for so long?

I also haven't really enjoyed the 3D GTA games that much. I love the world details of GTA4, and GTA5's story and gameplay were surprisingly capable (because it had bullet time), but those things aside I really don't like the franchise.

But I do tend to like most GTA clones, from Saints Row to Mafia.

And Sleeping Dogs is great.

I love nearly all the GTA games and. Lot of the clones. I didn't like Mafia 1, loved Mafia 2. Looooved Sleeping Dogs. Didn't like Saints Row until 3.

Shit is MK this Saturday? Fuck. So soon! I'll have to make a Target $54 order, not fussed when it turns up but I wouldn't expect it to hit $50 again until the WiiU is shutdown.

radaxian

I've been watching the thread for a while too and should say hi.

I've somehow ended up with all the consoles except XBone and have been mostly on the PS4/3 this year, and tending to my unhealthy addiction to PS2 game collecting.

I was thinking about WatchDogs with the Target deal but even though the overall reception is ok after just reading Jeff Gerstmann's review I think I'll let it slide. I'll save my $ for MK8 on Saturday.

I'm still on a John Carpenter kick from the talks of Big Trouble in Little China a few months back. I just watched They Live for the first time. The last act of that is so good.

jambo

cods, can you remove @trinest from the AusGAF members twitter list?

He just spoiled late-game Watch_Dogs story details, on release day =\

They Live is so good.

Now watch The Thing! Then Escape from New York! Then Assault on Precinct!

cods, can you remove @trinest from the AusGAF members twitter list?

He just spoiled late-game Watch_Dogs story details, on release day =\

Yup I just dropped him, I didn't catch the whole thing though so I don't think I'm spoiled >_<

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom