• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 10 - Node Country for Old Men

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kritz

Banned
The staggered stop motion ski chase scene is just the best.

Also, Transistor. That game's neat. I really enjoyed the turn based combat, which is something I didn't expect. Super Giant took a system which I usually find really boring and archaic, and gave it this really great sense of speed and style you'd otherwise expect from a real time action game. Making spell combos was really satisfying, especially when you find a way to cascade damage and passive buffs into an unstoppable single turn rampage.

The soundtrack's incredible, the art has improved a lot since Bastion while still retaining the same charms. I'll say, the only downside is the story, which was a bit unsatisfying with how little the game explains its universe and characters outside of a few core elements and motivations. I certainly think Bastion was much more touching in that regard, although Transistor sure tries to pull at your emotions.

Not sure if I'll do a New Game+ any time soon, although being able to double up on powers is really tempting.

Jintor

i know how i feel about transister

TWENTY BUCK

Anyone know of a letterboxd/goodreads style site for games? that isn't backloggery. Or the other one that's crap.

Basically I just want to look at a wall to wall shelf of covers and be like "I PLAYED ALL OF THOSE"

Quasar

TWENTY BUCK

Anyone know of a letterboxd/goodreads style site for games? that isn't backloggery. Or the other one that's crap.

Never heard of letterboxd (for video I use Trakt and Hummingbird), but doing a quick search there is VGCollect, though it seems pretty basic. It does allow you to include your hardware though, which seems cool to me.

Danoss

The more I read and hear about Amazon, the more they seem like scum.

The world’s biggest bookstore is a bit smaller these days.

Amazon’s secret campaign to discourage customers from buying books by Hachette, one of the big New York publishers, burst into the open on Friday.

The uneasy relationship between the retailer and the writing community, which needs Amazon but fears its power, immediately soured as authors took to Twitter to denounce what they saw as bullying.

Among Amazon’s tactics against Hachette, some of which it has been employing for months, are charging more for its books and suggesting that readers might enjoy instead a book from another author. If customers for some reason persist and buy a Hachette book anyway, Amazon is saying it will take weeks to deliver it.

The scorched-earth tactics arose out of failed contract negotiations. Amazon was seeking better terms, Hachette was balking, so Amazon began cutting it off. Writers from Malcolm Gladwell to J. D. Salinger are affected, although some Hachette authors were unscathed.

Full story here. Other stories here and here.

Amazon are also trying to patent a common photography technique of lighting a foreground object and the background object so the subject appears to be on a seamless background. Essentially, every product image you have ever seen.

Nice one, Amazon.

Time to patent attaching a thing to a thing by way of doing a thing. That should ensure my entire family will have all the money they ever need, until the patent system reverts to its intended purpose.

Why is Drakengard 3 nowhere in shops? I want to make a risky decision.

EDIT: Ah right, download-only and no "Collector's Edition" in Australia.

Kritz

Banned
For it being so short, it sure does pack a lot into its 100 minutes. Unlike the absolute trainwreck that is The Hobbit which at this point takes longer to watch than the children's book took to read.

Yeah I think it gets a lot of information across in relatively brief scenes and doesn't spend much time meandering about. The story-within-a-story format with a narrator allows you to skip over a lot of scenes that you normally would need to include to get the same plot across. When you get taught how to write stories they always say "show, don't tell", but I think the mark of a truly effective writer is knowing when a story is actually enhanced by telling rather than showing.

It's so short, too. I'm a little sick of seeing these sprawling action films that go for 2 hours and 35 minutes because I'm such an old man.
Not to mention that wonderful Anderson theatrical quality, along with that diorama-style cinematography.

Bring back those 80s movies that lasted 110 minutes.

Also, maybe I had 40+ beer samples* at GABS today, so what big whoop wanna fight about it?

Pretty great! Much shorter lines than the last time I went (2012), and a good selection too. Only problem that I bought too many tokens (bought in advance for samples, food and beers) and so had to use them all... a few too many drinks were imbibed as a result.

Pretty great! Much shorter lines than the last time I went (2012), and a good selection too. Only problem that I bought too many tokens (bought in advance for samples, food and beers) and so had to use them all... a few too many drinks were imbibed as a result.

Heh, I had around 30 at the GABF in Geelong. I think one beer fest a year is enough for me, will go to the next GABS.

Kritz

Banned
Yeah I think it gets a lot of information across in relatively brief scenes and doesn't spend much time meandering about. The story-within-a-story format with a narrator allows you to skip over a lot of scenes that you normally would need to include to get the same plot across.

I think you mean a story within a story within a story within a story format. :p

I suppose technically you could add another layer if you included the poems that were unsuccessfully told during the story.

I saw a Foodland in Adelaide! That was a trip :)

Also was a real fucking kick in the guts to cross the border back to VIC and be instantly hit with a big fat 100 sign after the entire stretch of (awesome) road to Adelaide was 110.

Fucking pussies. That was the same damn road. 100 my arse. Gave that sign 2 fingers and kept on truckin at 110. Fuck that sign.

Also my Dad's not dead which is great. He's pretty sick of the whole organs ripped out thing, or at least his body is I guess.

Thing is though, those two games don't interest me. If you removed those two and subbed it out for Ryse I would buy, right now.
1146.gif

Haha you funny guy!

Ryse will be $30 by Xmas at the latest, can't recall the last time I saw a copy tbh

TWENTY EIGHT BUCK
Fixed for PSN :(

Also, maybe I had 40+ beer samples* at GABS today, so what big whoop wanna fight about it?
1253.gif

I drank a Corona and a shitload of scotch/coke last night though. It was my dad's scotch so his best friend and I had to drink it since he isn't allowed too! Was the right thing to do.

Manax

TWENTY BUCK

Basically I just want to look at a wall to wall shelf of covers and be like "I PLAYED ALL OF THOSE"

www.Grouvee.com Might work for you? did a quick google haven't actually used it myself but seems decent. Problem is you lose a little flexibility once everything has to be linked to a cover+info

Edit: Just took a crack at it seems pretty damn solid, you can create custom categories to put them in, Also you can add the completion level (Main quest + 100% etc.) adding the platform takes a little extra time as you have to manually click edit then the platform and it wont default to a single platform even if there is only one.

Also has steam import capabilities

I had a similar issue a while ago, turns out turning the thing off and making sure there's no dust/etc on the shitty eject touch sensor thingy did the trick.

yup

The instructions Sony gives for this is to tighten the manual eject screw. You follow the instructions below, except tightening the screw instead of loosening it first.
https://support.us.playstation.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5061/~/ps4:-manually-eject-a-stuck-disc
yup

Actually went and saw Budapest again. Such a fun film.

I actually preordered this. I love The Life Aquatic, Royal Tenenbaums, Mr Fox, Rushmore, Moonrise Kingdom. Darjeeling and Bottle Rocket, not so much.

We all are.

It seems to really not like my infamous disc. I don't want to send it off just yet since I've started to blast through infamous this weekend before I get to the Digital Download of Wolfenstein to play . Maybe if I pick up an Xbox next month, I'll send the PS4 in for repair.

also saw Lego Movie last night. pretty, pretty good. Easily the best kids movie/toy advertisement. Nice one Animal Logic! I'll have to get the Lego Movie game now as well.
Actually I was falling asleep in the second half and will have to rewatch today- no reflection on the movie, I do that sometimes if I get up too early/start the movie too late, etc.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
nice to see so much Grand Budapest Hotel love in here. Such a singular, earnest thing.

wonzo

Banned
Games empire are decent and have better customer service than milsims.

Got a couple others bookmarked but would need to dig them out.
Yeah Games Empire is good also. Ozgameshop normally has the best prices and Milsims is ok, if they have the stock, otherwise steer clear.
Yeah, I noticed Milsims has a ton of stuff not in stock and it looks like Games Empire has pretty much everything I'm looking for. Kinda weary ordering more stuff from Ozgameshop though given how slow delivery has been lately. Thanks again!

Danoss

Anyone know of some good "local" online stores for board games?

For local options, Games Empire is the first place I'd recommend. Their prices are excellent and their customer service is top notch.

Unhalfbricking has more niche titles than most, last time I checked, though their prices aren't as competitive. It's a one man operation, but he's quite good and I have no problem recommending buying from there.

Good Games are fine and I have had no issues with them. Their prices are quite standard, but it gives you another place to look if you're not having much luck finding something elsewhere. They handle distribution for a lot of traditional gaming products in this area throughout Australia, so many of the other shops that are cheaper than Good Games are supplied by them.

The Combat Company is more focused on miniatures gaming and associated hobby products, but they do stock some (very few) board and card games. If they happen to have one of the games you are after, you will receive excellent service. Their order fulfilment is unmatched by any other company I have dealt with. Free postage over $100 too.

I'd cut off my left arm before dealing with Milsims ever again; Games Paradise would cost me my right. If you can buy from any store other than these places, do so.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom