• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 10 - Node Country for Old Men

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quasar

It'd be great for something like this to be system and OS agnostic, so no matter what your preferences are, you can pair certain devices together and have these exchanges between them. Automatic pairing when they're on the same WiFi network, or Bluetooth switches on when the latter occurs ready for whatever. However it's done, it'd be great to see.

That's my beef with pretty much all the communication stuff siloed by platform holders to ensure lockin. Whereas I want the modern equivalents of email and sms. Standards that anyone can hook into.

Instead we have siloed messaging, be it facebook, whatsapp, hangouts, imessage or whatever. So your're left either keeping track of what services all your friends are on, or ignoring groups of people depending on what platform they are on. The whole thing is fucked.

And for me being platform agnostic (I have a android phone, a windows pc, an ipad (and an unused old macbook) makes the whole thing worse.

quabba

Oops, must have not sent the PM properly. For some reason the messages I'm sending from the mobile app aren't appearing in the sent items folder. I sent I you another PM, if it doesn't appear for you I'll be back home in a couple of hours and can send the PSN code from the non-mobile site.

Sure, I'll buy you $20 US PSN credit for W101.

Not sure what's up but I'm still not seeing any PMs, send one off when your home.

Danoss

That's my beef with pretty much all the communication stuff siloed by platform holders to ensure lockin. Whereas I want the modern equivalents of email and sms. Standards that anyone can hook into.

Instead we have siloed messaging, be it facebook, whatsapp, hangouts, imessage or whatever. So your're left either keeping track of what services all your friends are on, or ignoring groups of people depending on what platform they are on. The whole thing is fucked.

And for me being platform agnostic (I have a android phone, a windows pc, an ipad (and an unused old macbook) makes the whole thing worse.

We just need for an open standard to be made without an agenda behind it, much like our use of email and sms as you said. In these cases it's companies wanting their own social networks. Segregation of users because of their device, OS or UI preferences is ridiculous. Competition brings out some cool and innovative things, but some of them are so commonplace that it's best if there was a core that all of them could share. If users of POP and IMAP couldn't email each-other, it'd be absurd.

On the PC it used to be ICQ, MSN, Skype, GTalk, and the rest that anyone you know could've used. Needing Trillian, Pidgin, or Adium to chat with everyone is just silly. Nothing has changed much besides the scope by which they'll try and entrench you within them. Extending it beyond the PC and onto mobile only exacerbates the problem.

Engaging in the Humanities.

CZHh8IS.jpg

Shaneus

Season finale of Silicon Valley was god-tier. Such a great series so far, everyone in this thread should watch it if you haven't already.

Bought chromecast + Ps4 controller on dicksmith with voucher. Except I had to refresh my cart to enable scripts at some point, and I didn't notice the voucher got unapplied. I didn't notice and ordered it anyway.

There is no logical reason to be upset over a lost 5 dollar saving, and yet, I am.

Jintor

Wonderful 101 is so good. Kamiya based god. It'll be even better when I understand how to play it.

One day he'll add a button so I can skip these segments where he's like "LOL LET'S PLAY SPACE HARRIER AGAIN" tho

Silicon Valley's great. Rick and Morty's great. Everything's great.

Yah Rick & Morty is fantastic. I should try Bob's Burgers. Decided to do a Wes Anderson kick though. Enjoying Life Aquatic again tonight :)

sometimes science is a lot more art than science, morty. Lot of people don't get that.

Man I just watched the
Simulation inside a simulation inside a simulation
episode. So, so good. The Mr Meeseeks episode also had me laughing so much that my wife wasn't overly impressed while she was studying.

Stackboy

*Sigh* Arkham Knight officially delayed till 2015.

If it means we get an amazing Rocksteady Batman game, I am cool with this.

This year I have Destiny, The Crew, Forza Horizon 2, Nuclear Throne (waiting for the full release, can't stand early access games), Binding of Issac: Rebirth and Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel to look forward to. That's a good list.

Gazunta

Right now there's a marketing team in Warner Bros trying to figure out how to shoehorn the word "Arkham" into the Suicide Squad game name.

The end of 2014 is looking decidedly bare for me. Two driving games, neither of which I'm interested in, destiny, some annualized sequels for MP fun, an Assassin's Creed game that may or may not be terrible. Maybe the Borderlands game, only for the Judestorm (private joke). Sunset Overdrive for whenever I pick up an Xbox. Looking pretty quiet.

If only there was some sort of large convergence of video game publishers, developers, PR and journalists where new titles might possibly be announced and if only this was happening sometime in the next week or so. If only.

senahorse

Far Cry 4 for me, not sure what else. Which is probably a good thing as they are getting in the way of other things at the moment.

Oh if they come out this year, The Division, Civ: Beyond Earth, The Witness, Mad Max, there might be more.

edit: And I am getting my Oculus Rift next month so probably plenty of indie games/demos with that. Still no compelling reason to own a PS4/Xbone though.

Kritz

Banned
*looks at ps4*

why do I even own you

this time in the xbox lifecycle I was playing oblivion and the darkness and saints row

Jintor

As with every console generation

wait for games, THEN buy console

So we all gonna get Evolve? I miss AusGAF gaming nights

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom