• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 10 - Node Country for Old Men

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frawdder

This year's been really average for me, nothing great but nothing bad has happened, don't really see it changing much.

Also, NBN Co were laying cable in my street last week (at least that what it looked like) :D

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
My year has been great apart from my parents preventing me from going on the road trip to sydney I should have been going on tomorrow.:mad:

Shaneus

Well, fuck. I almost feel bad for *not* having a shit year. Work hasn't been amazing (find out tomorrow about what happens with another fucking restructure of the IT thingy of our company), but I've picked up another pinball machine as of a month or two ago and started seeing someone amazing from via an online dating site.

But damn, heartache for the folks here going through rough shit at the moment. Hopefully you'll all come through it better and stronger than before :)

Bernbaum

In December last year, a close friend killed himself. Hung himself in the shower at work. His best friend found him. I didn't find out until our work Christmas party, same time as several other friends found out and we all did a horrible job of remaining composed. I elected to deal with the news by drinking a whole bottle of Canadian whiskey. Friends lost me for a few hours and found me curled up in the fetal position in a garden at Brisbane's Southbank Parklands.

In early March, I was violently assaulted by two drug addicts whilst walking home on a Saturday night. The two men, whom I assumed were harmless homeless bums, asked me for me for money. Upon refusal, I was thrown to the ground and kicked repeatedly in the face, shattering me nose and inflicting a major fracture in my left cheek bone. The damage required surgical realignment of my nose, as well as the permanent installation of a titanium plate in my face. A police investigation proved fruitless when none of the CCTV cameras in the area captured the assault or the offender's departure from the scene. Several cameras in the area that I was confident would have recorded the incident proved to be fake cameras. With only a poor physical description of the assailants, as well as the swiftness of the attack, and the lack of any visual evidence, there is essentially zero chance of capturing my assaulters. My upper lip has lost sensitivity in a few places, it's uncomfortable when I sleep, and it hurts to whistle. There was also damage to my teeth. My front two incisors are now mostly fake, and I haven't adjusted to what is essentially a new set of teeth.

The incident pulled me out of work for a whole month whilst I recovered and got the necessary surgery at a time when we had critical projects to deliver on. I've been back at work for a few months now and we're still not up to speed.

Kids, say 'no' to drugs.

Following that, a quarter of my company were made redundant in April. I survived unscathed but several colleagues, some who'd I'd known for years, got the boot. Plenty of people more experienced and capable than I got turfed simply because they were deemed non-essential. It was a timely reminder that no matter how hard you work, if the suits upstairs no longer consider you an asset, then your arse is grass. One of those life moments where you grow up real quick in a short amount of time and want to take a break from being an adult.

Couple that with multiple family members all dropping off to cancer, and you could say the last six months would best be forgotten.

my year is pretty crappy so far. only plus is i got a job. bad thing is i dont really like it and want to do something else. everything else is pretty shitty.

Edit: holy shit bern, I'm so sorry man :(

Man, these last couple of pages have been rough. Sending happy feels out to Bern, Jase, Lucian, Damo, reptile, Clive, Death, DeafMutes and anyone else I might've overlooked.

Actually, let's just all watch this for an hour: 24hoursofhappy.com

Gazunta

I left that site running on one of the TVs here at work and it took someone three hours to notice that the song was on repeat.

Related: The other night was spent stuffing copies of Super Blow The Cartridge into padded envelopes and whoa there was a massive pile of them that are being sent to AusGAF folk and...God damn it guys, you really are the best, not only for making this damn book possible but just for being great people to spend time with day in and day out. Thank you ever so much.

Oh hey Bern, I don't have your new address to send yours to - but let's catch up soon and I can hand deliver it yeah?

Got the Chromecast last night. Haven't set up Plex on it yet.

Still sending my prayers to doge that the Plex app on smartphones can be used as a remote.

Danoss

Now I feel bad that my year so far hasn't been shitty enough. There's still another 6 months to go.

Even though my posting is sparse these days and mostly in hit-and-run fashion, you're all in my thoughts. I mean that. I hope things improve for those of you having a rough time, you're great people and you deserve nothing less than an enjoyable life.

Stackboy

That sucks Bern, hope things really turn around for you. I know we are only mostly internet people but if you need someone to just listen, I live in Brisbane. PM me if you want a chat.

Guys, E3 is next week!!!!

Hallelujah the child didn't leave his room last night! Fucking finally. Meant he got his reward of 2 Mario Kart races this morning :)

He did terribly with the tablet lol
I got blue shelled 1 out of 2 races. I fucking hate this game. It's still the same fucking game. I have no idea why it's so hyped.so much.

He did really well the other night though. We did the Mushroom Cup as a family and on the second level (the one with the underwater sections) when I crossed the finish line in 1st on the 3rd lap he was finishing his 2nd lap! Pretty impressive considering how little he has played games and it was his first time playing MK8 and that track. Super proud. :)

Only 2 day week next week due to family doctor appointments. Going to be a tough run to the end of the month, I can just feel it.

Sorry to hear, Rep :( What can we do for you. WHAT CAN WE DO
MOAR PRESIDOGE

See, I just gave you one! Topical! Presidoge goes vigilante!

Pretty good year for me.

Mates had a kid.
Perfect! It's like being a grandparent! All the cuteness and entertainment of a bumbling mess rolled up in a tshirt without the annoyingness of dealing with the damn thing once it wants something!

Make sure to feed it lots of pizza. And red cordial.

Still doing better than Thacker.
Not being Thacker means doing better than Thacker! Not sure how that guy has survived in society thus far lol

Also, my wife is a cunt. So don't feel bad.
I kinda feel bad for time you had to spend with her if she was a cunt! I hate seeing people being mistreated :(

started seeing someone amazing from via an online dating site
Wooo! Congrats dude :)

Some new news is actually GOOD news? That's something different for this year! Good to hear :)

Couple that with multiple family members all dropping off to cancer, and you could say the last six months would best be forgotten.
God damn it fuck cancer >_<

Also, the Lakers didn't make the playoffs.
That wasn't bad news in my books

;)

Nah it would have been more fun with you guys in the Finals. Miami bore me.

Actually all my sports teams are going well.

Aussies did well in the Cricket.
Port are on top of the ladder in the AFL despite playing pretty inconsistent footy with quite a few injured players and only one able ruckman.
Also Geelong got thrashed which is so awesome :)
Spurs are in the finals against Miami in the bball.
Real won the Champions League (even though I rarely watch these days).

I left that site running on one of the TVs here at work and it took someone three hours to notice that the song was on repeat.
Sounds like mainstream radio from the last 2 months

HEYYYYYYYYYYYYOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Seriously though I fucking hate mainstream radio. Makes work feel like fucking groundhog day. Even listening to that fuckwit Neil Mitchell is better, at least I can scoff and pretend to be better than him.

jambo

Perfect! It's like being a grandparent! All the cuteness and entertainment of a bumbling mess rolled up in a tshirt without the annoyingness of dealing with the damn thing once it wants something!

It's pretty great. You get to see the kid and play with him and hold him, then when he poops his pants you just hand him back.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
This year has been pretty standard. I guess I got a pay rise and a new position. Made friends with a girl at work who I can never have .. that's a thing. Started eating better and exercising now to try and get Cookie ripped for the ladies of Summer.

Trying to put plans in place for my license and a house.

Aside from that, Sweet fuck all else has happened.

Also, God damn Bern. At least you have some metal in your head now, that's kinda cool, in a non cool way.

Shaneus

Wooo! Congrats dude :)

Some new news is actually GOOD news? That's something different for this year! Good to hear :)
Even better to tell it!

Port are on top of the ladder in the AFL despite playing pretty inconsistent footy with quite a few injured players and only one able ruckman.
Also Geelong got thrashed which is so awesome :)
Totally taking that one because you have a coach from Geelong. So suck it.

Were you trying DDP Yoga cookie?

I did one session then fell off the wagon. I should do that tonight.

Scratch that, I WILL do that tonight!
I've only done the Diamond Dozen a handful of times, but the massage dude who comes into work fortnightly said he noticed a massive difference in the stiffness of my muscles and posture. So I'm not following the regime per se, but I definitely get what it's about and am enjoying the hell out of it.

I've only done the Diamond Dozen a handful of times, but the massage dude who comes into work fortnightly said he noticed a massive difference in the stiffness of my muscles and posture. So I'm not following the regime per se, but I definitely get what it's about and am enjoying the hell out of it.

WTF

I wanna renegotiate my contract now! This is an outrage! I want a massage dude too!

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Were you trying DDP Yoga cookie?

I did one session then fell off the wagon. I should do that tonight.

Scratch that, I WILL do that tonight!

Yep.

I made sure i put in 7 weeks of advanced into my cal so it reminded me what to do at night. Gave me a reason to not skip it and get off my ass.

Kritz

Banned
guys, this has been keeping me up at night

what is the technical difference between a jack/socket and a port. Like, an audio jack/socket, where you'd put a 3.5mm audio cable, and a usb port, where you'd put a usb cable.

Searching google mostly just gives the software definition of a socket and a port, but I'm talking about the actual physical connectors. Like, obviously the amount of data a usb or sata or even ps/2 port can send is much larger than an audio jack. And jacks are probably using an analogue connection?

I dunno, man. I dunno.

Shaneus

WTF

I wanna renegotiate my contract now! This is an outrage! I want a massage dude too!
It ain't free, boyo.

Wow good job Sony, now that's a games list.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=831811

HYPE TRAIN CHOO CHOO
One hell of a list. A lot of indie titles on there which reduces the hype a little, but there's some great indie games amongst them. I didn't realise there was going to be a Jamestown port on PS4. Fuck yeah.

Stackboy

One hell of a list. A lot of indie titles on there which reduces the hype a little, but there's some great indie games amongst them. I didn't realise there was going to be a Jamestown port on PS4. Fuck yeah.

I think I'm most excited for Nuclear Throne and Binding of Issac:Rebirth on PS4. Comfy couch gaming 4 EVA.

Darren870

So do you guys think Australia is too expensive? Do you all just get by or are you happy where you are financially?

I know the quality of life in Australia is among the highest, and that you never really got hit by the GFC. However, things are really expensive and I wonder how other feel about it?

I've just arrived only a few months ago, but I wonder how some people live in the more remote areas and can survive. Yes, your minimum wage is almost double the US but your house prices are pretty high. The food is generally expensive and non essential items are absurdly expensive (eg soda).

I've noticed in Melbourne that eating out for lunch is costing me about 1/3 - 1/2 more then it was in London and NYC. My salary is a bit less, but not much. Games are much more then the US for sure, but you can get good deals if you shop around.

Is it hard to get up on your feet here and save/invest? Or is it a better way of life and its actually not as bad as it seems at first glance?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom